I couldn't find any information regarding this topic.
    I would like to know (if anyone managed to test it) how is the sound quality while using headphones on the Blackberry Passport. I currently own the Z10 and I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that the audio quality is quite decent (I did own a number of older Blackberry phones and the sound quality was typically bad), although the omission of an equaliser is quite jarring. Lately, the audio quality of mobile phones improved significantly and the fact that bb10 supports flac is another reason why I ditched standalone music players and I am now using the mobile phone for this task instead. I am currently using two pairs of headphones for music on the go, namely: Sennheiser IE80 and Sennheiser PX250-II.
    If anyone managed to test the audio quality, I am interested in hearing what you think.
    Thanks.
    Nick Spagnolo likes this.
    08-19-14 05:38 AM
    I don't know of anyone who actually HAS a Passport. You would have to take to Twitter I think and see who has one to get an answer. This question has been hanging out for days and hundreds have looked. I guess you won't know till you see a Passport in the carrier store.
    08-21-14 07:39 AM
    I think it's too early to know, although I'm interested too, because that's gonna be my next phone.
    I haven't had the chance of trying a BB 10 phone, but I hope the Passport will have an above average audio chip. I gave up my S II due to its horrible audio quality and returned temporarily to an 9780 for that very reason. And for the keyboard
    08-22-14 06:12 AM
    My guess is that they won't have moved to a worse audio chip than a Z10. I mean, it's hard to say for sure and I can't imagine it's a part of the design that gets all that much attention, but it seems extremely unlikely that they would go from something that is 'good' to something that isn't.

Also - It's worth noting that if you really want an equalizer you should check out Neutron media players, which is a much more fully featured audio player on the BB10 platform. I would imagine that you are listening through fairly expensive cans and so it's certainly worth the few bucks to get a really awesome audio player on your phone.
    eldrover likes this.
    08-22-14 07:23 AM
    Also - It's worth noting that if you really want an equalizer you should check out Neutron media players, which is a much more fully featured audio player on the BB10 platform. I would imagine that you are listening through fairly expensive cans and so it's certainly worth the few bucks to get a really awesome audio player on your phone.
    Thanks for the advice. I purchased Neutron and I couldn't be more satisfied. Although it can certainly be improved: the UI is shoddy, EQ has only 4 bands, lack of support for SACD rips - DSD/DST.
    08-25-14 01:17 PM
    The Passport uses a Snapdragon 800 series processor and has a very good audio chip capable of 24 bit playback of FLAC lossless.
    It's even better with Neutron Player installed and good headphones.

Caper in Toronto.
    03-24-15 07:53 AM
    does neutron really sound better than the built in music player? im not really interested in the dsp sound effects.
    03-25-15 12:39 AM
    I couldn't find any information regarding this topic.
    I would like to know (if anyone managed to test it) how is the sound quality while using headphones on the Blackberry Passport. I currently own the Z10 and I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that the audio quality is quite decent (I did own a number of older Blackberry phones and the sound quality was typically bad), although the omission of an equaliser is quite jarring. Lately, the audio quality of mobile phones improved significantly and the fact that bb10 supports flac is another reason why I ditched standalone music players and I am now using the mobile phone for this task instead. I am currently using two pairs of headphones for music on the go, namely: Sennheiser IE80 and Sennheiser PX250-II.
    If anyone managed to test the audio quality, I am interested in hearing what you think.
    Thanks.
    Right now I've got two successful personally tried products with AMZING sound profiles.
    Klipsch i7 in ear iem's and Plantronics backbeat go 2 for a wireless iem solution! Both are great and after trying out about 15 different iem's from corded, wireless bluetooth, to in ear this is what I have found personally!
    Combined with current sound chip flac lossless and 24bit with both these great in ear headsets. You! Won't be dissapointed! One of the worse was beats audio which was a complete dissappointment with build quality terrible sound profiles, and over priced for the quality!
    Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 02:07 AM
    I like the passport SQ over iphone5/htc m7 using se846.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 08:21 AM
    The BB Passport will natively play 16 bit, 24 bit and 32 bit FLAC and WAV audio files too.

Playing them right now through my Shure earbuds.

However, it may need a different music player to be able to recognize and play APE files.
    04-03-15 01:18 AM
    For anyone still interested in some results concerning Z10 and Passport: I own both Z10 and Passport (and Q5, and wife Z30...)

I didn't buy Passport for audio quality, but rather its work abilities; but gave it a try as a music player plugging some headphones. Below are my observations comparing this device to Z10 (note: it is non-LTE version which possesses TI OMAP platform and Wolfson audio chipset, other Z10's are Qualcomm based):
    - bass is good, but Z10 is more "velvet like" and gets lower
    - middle, specially voice, seems to be better on Passport, alas a little bit distorted. Maybe this is what "distortion" is all about? I guess human ear is very sensitive to voice spectrum... anyway, it depends on song played and I cannot make up finally my mind, sorry. Mostly there is no problem.
    - highs on Z10 is a little bit laid down compared to Passport, but quite pleasant on both
    - detail is good on both phones, but certainly not up to my dedicated music player
    - as for noise, I can hear some on Passport, on Z10 background is more black
    - stereo space is more pronounced on Passport for sure and it's very nice

Both are inferior to my Hidizs AP100, which is more flat, more detailed, alas with some noice (which I can live with, growing on Sony walkman(s) years back). But you have to compare them directly and with as good source as possible - I use a mix of test songs created over some time looking for portable player.

As for volume, I regulary use Beyerdynamic DTX-501p and DT-1350 headphones. Former are easy to drive since they are 32 Ohm, latter are more demanding at 80 Ohm. Both reveals easily bad source, especially DT-1350 with its great detail and bass. Both can be ridden without problems, but there is almost no reserve since volume is just below the top.

All in all, apart of some minor differences, both are very capable music devices!
    12-01-16 04:21 PM
    Never any issues with the audio on my Passport, and I've had it for over 2 years. Sometimes I'd have to reset the phone because the audio wouldn't export through the speakers, other than that, never had a problem with any type of headphones. I'm actually using the headphones that came with my phone because my Sony ones broke, no issues at all.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-16 05:53 AM
    Both are inferior to my Hidizs AP100, which is more flat, more detailed, alas with some noise (which I can live with, growing on Sony walkman(s) years back). But you have to compare them directly and with as good source as possible - I use a mix of test songs created over some time looking for portable player.
    I just compared my Passport with Neutron to a PC with an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC, using the same AudioTechnica AT-A900 headphones. As you say, it is very close, but the Dragonfly does a better job of resolving high frequency sounds, like bells or cymbals. But it is very close, and you really have to listen side-by-side to notice the difference.
    12-02-16 09:24 AM
    I just compared my Passport with Neutron to a PC with an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC, using the same AudioTechnica AT-A900 headphones. As you say, it is very close, but the Dragonfly does a better job of resolving high frequency sounds, like bells or cymbals. But it is very close, and you really have to listen side-by-side to notice the difference.
    Interesting but hardly fair give the Dragonfly's performance; it's a shame it doesn't work with the passport, that's one of the reasons I went with a Meridian Explorer (don't have it with me yet).
    12-02-16 09:50 AM
    Exactly my point. I held the Passport up to one of the highest standards, and it did very well.
    Please let us know how the Meridian works out (I wish the Dragonfly would work with the Passport. It works with my Kindle Fire)
    12-02-16 05:35 PM