WE need convincing that other phones do not suffer the same problem due to technical changes, weather etc. strait to voicemail is normal during certain conditions.

So it doesnt sound like anyone is on the path to emergency call only anything to me imo.
    I'm not sure we need convincing. We all have dead phones.......no matter what the weather is.
    08-28-17 09:47 AM
    In my case, I started to get increasingly more comments from friends and family that my phone was going straight to voicemail. I put it down to "dead spots" but now I realise that the problem was slowly degrading the cell reception over time.

Sounds like you're on the path from the occasional "emergency calls only" to a complete lack of signal like the rest of us.

I wish other Passport owners would realise they are all potential members of this unfortunate but growing club.
    Sorry to disappoint you, but I have been blessed to have a better antenna than yours. Been to places where signal receptions are great and have experienced the fluctuating signal on remote areas only. As for "emergency calls only", that happens only when I removed the sim card. My PPSE is going strong for almost 2 years now.

@#¿*Berry
    08-28-17 09:49 PM
    Sorry to disappoint you, but I have been blessed to have a better antenna than yours. Been to places where signal receptions are great and have experienced the fluctuating signal on remote areas only. As for "emergency calls only", that happens only when I removed the sim card. My PPSE is going strong for almost 2 years now.

@#¿*Berry
    I had to replace my Passport because of this. It's a known issue, I believe.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-17 10:29 PM

@#¿*Berry
    I feel no disappointment at your good fortune, in fact I'm very pleased.
    My passport worked well to for about a year and half and I would have thought anyone who reported this issue as nuts or at least deluded. However, the problem profile seems to indicate anyone who owns a Passport is at risk for this issue to occur.

I hope it doesn't happen to you but I also would like Blackberry to provide a technical response to the documented cases they already have in their problem database.
    08-29-17 08:33 AM

I hope it doesn't happen to you but I also would like Blackberry to provide a technical response to the documented cases they already have in their problem database.

You think John Chen would spend $1 on anything that would not contribute to his saving face at the next earnings conference call?

Maybe we should contact TCL and hope they feel sorry for us.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-17 02:32 PM
    You think John Chen would spend $1 on anything that would not contribute to his saving face at the next earnings conference call?

Maybe we should contact TCL and hope they feel sorry for us.

Posted via CB10
    You're quite correct in that it seems Blackberry will only respond to (replace?) devices that are under the one-year warranty and the rest are left to their own devices.

Even the third-party repair shops will not touch them because of the uncertainty around the cause of the problem and therefore the required fix.
    08-29-17 04:43 PM
    Hi is there a fix for this yet my passport has the same problem
    10-25-17 02:11 PM
    I got the same problem. Sos, emergency call only problem. When my Sim card is inserted. Yesterday, my wife went to change her Sim card into a nano Sim card, because she change her phone. So I try to insert her Sim to my passport. Guess what. 4GLte instantly shown on top right with full bar. Same provider, hers is prepaid card, mine is postpaid. Have not really try for a long time and move around. Now I am confused. Is it the Sim card, software or hardware. I will change my Sim card soon. NB: my nano Sim card work perfectly on my secondary phone, a xiaomi.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-17 06:13 AM
    You're quite correct in that it seems Blackberry will only respond to (replace?) devices that are under the one-year warranty and the rest are left to their own devices.

Even the third-party repair shops will not touch them because of the uncertainty around the cause of the problem and therefore the required fix.
    So your neighbor offers to sell you a lawn mower cheap to mow your grass but you don't have cash so you agree to pay with mowing his lawn free over 12 months. After one year, do you keep doing to be a nice guy?

BB left the hardware business. They have to keep the one year warranty satisfied. But realistically, if they've let everyone from that old BB10 division go, what are they supposed to do? It's over. They're met their obligation. Like a breakup, you move on. Buy another device from another brand if that makes you feel better.
    10-26-17 07:09 AM
    I got the same problem. Sos, emergency call only problem. When my Sim card is inserted. Yesterday, my wife went to change her Sim card into a nano Sim card, because she change her phone. So I try to insert her Sim to my passport. Guess what. 4GLte instantly shown on top right with full bar. Same provider, hers is prepaid card, mine is postpaid. Have not really try for a long time and move around. Now I am confused. Is it the Sim card, software or hardware. I will change my Sim card soon. NB: my nano Sim card work perfectly on my secondary phone, a xiaomi.

Posted via CB10
    A little update. I replaced the Sim card just now. It work instantly with full bar BUT still not normal. Signal comes and goes now. Before it was just emergency call only. Now, every time you make a call, you can't get the data back unless you remove the Sim and install it back. It will tell you Sim card is not compatible. Still crap. So is it hardware or just the OS is crap. I am currently replying with my passport with mobile data.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-17 09:17 AM
    I have resolved my problem by purchasing a used Passport, unlocking it and using my existing SIM card. I now have a full unit spare for parts in case I have another issue, like a cracked screen or some other non-motherboard related issue.

Sadly, this was the only reasonably priced option I could come up with after exhausting Blackberry support and third party repairs.
    10-30-17 11:54 AM
    Hi BlackBerry Passport users,

I have just experienced the same issue described repeatedly on these pages. My Passport, which is not yet two years old, spends most of its time in "emergency calls only" and only occasionally gets a couple of bars of service, usually not long enough to send a text through.

I took it to Rogers, my carrier, and the fellow switched the SIM card, and it still wouldn't work, and he tested the SIM card in another phone, and the SIM worked fine. He suggested it was probably the Passport's antenna and I could try calling BlackBerry or taking it to a shop.

So, I'm where you guys are. How will we know if BlackBerry ever resolve this issue? How will we know they are even trying?

Add one more to your list. It's pretty crappy.
    Ginowine likes this.
    02-05-18 09:08 PM
    Hi BlackBerry Passport users,

I have just experienced the same issue described repeatedly on these pages. My Passport, which is not yet two years old, spends most of its time in "emergency calls only" and only occasionally gets a couple of bars of service, usually not long enough to send a text through.

I took it to Rogers, my carrier, and the fellow switched the SIM card, and it still wouldn't work, and he tested the SIM card in another phone, and the SIM worked fine. He suggested it was probably the Passport's antenna and I could try calling BlackBerry or taking it to a shop.

So, I'm where you guys are. How will we know if BlackBerry ever resolve this issue? How will we know they are even trying?

Add one more to your list. It's pretty crappy.
    The phone was manufactured over three years ago, using a year end 2019 EOL announced OS, by a company that has exited the phone business over a year ago. All things considered, I'd say you've gotten your money value back on your device.

You knew the risks buying the device when you did. Good luck getting it repaired.
    02-06-18 05:14 AM
    MeToo having this issue as well.

How to fix this?

Posted via CB10
    02-06-18 05:46 AM
    MeToo having this issue as well.

How to fix this?

Posted via CB10
    Buy a new 2018 supported phone with actual warranty is probably cheapest fix.

I don't believe actual cause has ever been actually confirmed..
    02-06-18 05:48 AM
    Put your phone from 4G+3G+2G mode

Posted via CB10
    02-06-18 06:14 AM
    Sorry, check if your phone is in: 4G+3G+2G mode.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-18 06:55 AM
    I notice when I'm at home or somewhere else inside a public building like for example grocery store. The signals through my Antenna from the passport is getting weaker or off. In the meantime I see emergency calls only message.

But when I'm outside walking on foot, Only then I'm receving stronger signals from my Antenna. Meaning that I can receive calls, Text messages, mobile network for internet. Only then I can make calls with my passport.

Very strange...

Do you guys experience this situation as well?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Ginowine; 08-22-18 at 05:17 PM.
    02-06-18 12:04 PM
    Troy mentioned in another thread, problem may be the repurposing of some carrier tower bands that your Passport is dependent on compared to newer carrier phones.
    02-06-18 02:55 PM
    I just figured something out! if you put the wrong APN under network settings....surprise! you get the no svc/emergency calls only prize!
    to solve this issue (with my provider, ymmv) I just hit load apn defaults, then go into and out of airplane mode...and we're back. try it!

Posted via CBX
    My Passport recently had the same issue.. Also unsuccesfully tried few things as other.
    I did tried that APN default renew trick and so far that had solve my issue.

..crossing finger the issue will not pop back.

UPDATE
    Unfortunatly few time after the issue came back; antenna signal went back from full signal (4-5 bars) to none after a phone call…
    I did the APN renew trick and it worked back again ….but for how long
    Last edited by DStLouis; 08-22-18 at 04:17 PM.
    08-22-18 03:58 PM
    After doing the APN default trick and getting a working phone back I did notice an interesting thing.
    At my location my cell phone signal is generally showing 1, 2, 3 bars signal … while making a phone call, signal jump all the way to a full 5 bars strong signal.
    ...then return back to a low to a 1,2,3 bars signal right after the call

any tough on that ?
    08-22-18 04:54 PM
96 ... 234