Yesterday 07:36 PM
74 123
tools
    Does anyone have blueprints or locations of different passport components like the antenna. I've been getting the Emergency Calls Only issue and I would like to try to fix it.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-16 07:17 PM
    YouTube. Search BlackBerry Passport disassembly.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-16 07:36 PM
    Are you sure it's the antenna and not the Sim tray?

Posted via CB10
    03-12-16 09:44 PM
    Are you sure it's the antenna and not the Sim tray?

Posted via CB10
    I agree, it's probably the Sim card tray.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-16 09:55 PM
    I am having the same issues as OP, I even got a new Sim card. I also did a factory reset and still emergency calls only.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-16 11:16 PM
    I am having the same issues as OP, I even got a new Sim card. I also did a factory reset and still emergency calls only.

Posted via CB10
    Does it recognize the SIM is detected?

Posted via CB10
    03-13-16 07:14 AM
    Does it recognize the SIM is detected?

Posted via CB10
    Yeah it does recognize Sim cards and the right network... I get intermittent signal on the highway but not more than a few seconds...

Posted via CB10
    03-13-16 12:33 PM
    Yeah it does recognize Sim cards and the right network... I get intermittent signal on the highway but not more than a few seconds...

Posted via CB10
    First try resetting the APN
    I had iffy reception, reset the APN and if helped some.
    03-13-16 12:56 PM
    First try resetting the APN
    I had iffy reception, reset the APN and if helped some.
    Tried that already... I've troubleshooted enough... time to gut this bad boy

Posted via CB10
    03-13-16 01:09 PM
    Any update with your phone repair ?
    I have the same problem.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-16 05:52 PM
    I am curious about these Emergency only issues, does it just suddenly happen? I have never removed the Sim card from my Passport but I have noticed in a few areas I travel the signal is crap to nothing and may get the Emergency calls only service and sometimes just a red x. My Passport is the ATT version, I have a Verizon Z30 and a Sprint Tablet. No matter where I may go I can count on Verizon and the tablet may have 3g service. I have been wondering if it's just bad service and would hate to find out the problem is with the phone.

Posted Via my Great Z30
    04-30-16 06:27 PM
    It happened out of nowhere.

The phone detect the Sim card and is able to see the network, but is always in emergency call only. Automatic / manual connect mode, LTE, 4g, 3g, 2g...nothing. Security wipe 2 times, nothing. New Sim card, same thing.

I event went to my carrier to see if the phone was on the black list or something.

I'm calling BB next week to have it repaired. I just hope my visa extended warranty on electronic products will refund the repair, or at least a part of it.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-16 08:36 PM
    I have been stuck in SOS for a week. I tried security wiping the device but no luck.

I bought my device direct from BB and my 1 year warranty is up so I would like to fix this myself.

Anyone have any luck or updates they could share?

Thanks.
    Last edited by PassportGuy; 05-09-16 at 10:52 PM.
    05-09-16 06:49 PM
    I have had my Passport for about a year and a half, have had no unresolvable issues until now. Just last week my phone started to act up, just as your reporting, my connection to my network is very sporadic and for the most part I no longer have service. Changed the SIM etc. The worker at Telus said it appeared to be a hardware issue.? Will be contacting BB as well (bought mine from them directly) Really dont want to shell out for a new phone already.
    05-12-16 02:50 PM
    15 months in and I had 'emergency calls only' on my Passport, telco checked SIM, I did full reinstall, etc. etc. , then had telco return my phone to BB. After 6 (!!!) weeks they returned the phone but it was doing the same thing. Retuned to BB again and after 10 days they returned it - said that it had been 'tampered with' (the screen had been replaced 3 months ago) and that the cost to repair would be greater than replacement cost.
    My first Blackberry had a thumbwheel so figure for yourself how long I have been a customer. I have a a 9900, a Playbook and a Z10 in the house. The Passport was the best phone I have ever owned. I live an hour from Waterloo and have evangelised BB as 'our own' for over a decade. After all that Blackberry seems determined to get me to go elsewhere. I just don't get it.
    05-16-16 06:54 AM
    I'm sure you can sell damaged one and buy a new one. If I made your passport and you sent to me after someone operated on it I would tell you the same thing. Everyday.

Posted from a wireless charging Passport. Get one!
    05-16-16 07:48 AM
    Posted via CB10 On My CrackBerry Passport
    05-17-16 08:04 AM
    Anyone found a root cause for this yet? I am dying here.

Sent over Wi-Fi from my BlackBerry Passport.
    05-17-16 03:23 PM
    I feel it is both hardware and software based... we need a good radio update and new antenna... when I took mine apart, I tested signal with and without the back cover on(the part with the BlackBerry logo on it)...without the back cover, signal was completely nonexistent...after putting it back on, signal came back...strong...then dropped about 20 mins later...so I suspect that in replacing the antenna, our issues will be resolved...or at least lessened. Dead or shorted out contact maybe??? Idk...but this is a serious issue and needs to be addressed by Blackberry. There are people out here standing by this company, but are forced to jump through rings of fire if we don't have insurance through our carriers and are 2 days out of warranty...wtf...

05-17-16 07:17 PM
    Kashief,

Interesting results. Just FYI, most of the antenna are in the back cover. So when you remove the back cover, signal loss is expected. If you look at the back cover you will see contact pads. Those pads line up with pin springs on the board, which make contact. If can get temporary service when you replace the cover then you may want check the pin springs or pads for damage.

I don't see any visible signs of damage on mine. I am starting to suspect a SW problem, perhaps with radio configuration data being corrupted or wiped.
    05-18-16 01:28 PM
    Kashief,

Interesting results. Just FYI, most of the antenna are in the back cover. So when you remove the back cover, signal loss is expected. If you look at the back cover you will see contact pads. Those pads line up with pin springs on the board, which make contact. If can get temporary service when you replace the cover then you may want check the pin springs or pads for damage.

I don't see any visible signs of damage on mine. I am starting to suspect a SW problem, perhaps with radio configuration data being corrupted or wiped.
    This is exactly what I mean. Fresher antenna is just a matter of finding good parts and onf the software side, I suppose we just have to wait for a new update or a newer version of that programming software for BlackBerry devices...that just happens to be so incredibly reminiscent of that programming software that was leaked for iDEN devices.....hmmmm...the search continues...

05-18-16 02:16 PM
    I have the same problem, when I put pressure on back cover right below sim I get signal. Must be a connection issue, with antenna. I am going to try a new back plate, if I can find one.
    06-15-16 05:01 PM
    For me the problem is sometime my mobile data disconnected, dunno why but I need to turn off the mobile network and then turn it on again for my mobile data to get work again..
    Anyone has same problem?

Posted via CB10
    06-16-16 01:49 AM
    Has anyone found a resolution to this?
    07-21-16 09:59 PM
    This just happened to me a couple days ago here in Amsterdam Netherlands. I'm with vodafone.nl

There is absolutely no signal in my apartment, and moving around the city it switches from 4G to 2, to 3, to Edge, to nothing. It's in this "Emergency Calls Only" and the Network is "SOS" state which periodically changes to "T-Mobile" and "204-2". I don't think this is SIM card related because depending where I am I do get service.

I've had no problem with the device even after some pretty bad drops. Is there a way I can replace the antenna. I've alread replaced the SIM tray due to a dimple the the cheap protective camera cover.

Has anyone with this issue actually fixed it?
    07-24-16 01:29 PM
74 123