So there has been a lot of coverage on the passport lately.

I think the device is something special but there one important question I think a lot of people want to know and thats "how do android apps look on the passport?"

On the Q10 there are certain apps which do not work very well with the 1:1 screen.

A good example would be WAZE.

I know there's been talk about letterboxing 16:9 apps but is there anyone who can help paint a better picture on this aspect?

Differentiate or Die
    06-29-14 03:48 PM
    The videos will eventually give you the answer to your question

Thought's on the fly C001C21C1
    06-29-14 03:57 PM
    I don't think it's going to look any different as to what obtains on other 1:1 screen phones.
    Developers of the apps in question probably did not take into considerations specifications of such devices and so it wouldn't have any difference yet.
    06-29-14 04:01 PM
    I don't think it's going to look any different as to what obtains on other 1:1 screen phones.
    Developers of the apps in question probably did not take into considerations specifications of such devices and so it wouldn't have any difference yet.
    We'll that would be a problem I think.

Since the passport has a 1440 x 1440 screen I was hoping it could run android apps differently than the 720 x 720p screen of the Q10 somehow since there was more to room to display content.

Differentiate or Die
    06-29-14 04:28 PM
    We'll that would be a problem I think.

Since the passport has a 1440 x 1440 screen I was hoping it could run android apps differently than the 720 x 720p screen of the Q10 somehow since there was more to room to display content.

Differentiate or Die
    Just like I said it all depends on what the developers a re able to come up with. For instance, if you download "Skype for iphone" on your ipad, it won't open the way you expect it to except you download the one meant for the ipad. That's just going to be the way it will be with android apps on the passport. But I'm sure developers are already working around this especially for native blackberry apps.

WhiteZ30 OS10.3.0.700
    06-29-14 11:01 PM
    Netflix's newest update does not work on 1:1 ratio phones (Q10 & Q5). It is running fine on full touchscreens (Z10 & Z30). I wonder if it will work on the Passport and Classic...

Loved the Q10 but now it's Z30 power time!!!
    06-29-14 11:06 PM
    Netflix's newest update does not work on 1:1 ratio phones (Q10 & Q5). It is running fine on full touchscreens (Z10 & Z30). I wonder if it will work on the Passport and Classic...

What do you mean by "it's not working"?

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-30-14 01:15 AM
    What do you mean by "it's not working"?

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Happened to my gf's Q10 and others are having the same problem, it's crashing: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=941636

06-30-14 05:46 AM
    Android app compatibility is more important at the moment and at least in the near to mid term because of this whole amazon app store deal.

I highly doubt that the android devs will take the trouble to adjust the layout just for BlackBerry's 1:1 screen.

Native apps will be fine as experienced on my Q10 but I do think that native apps will take a back seat in development for now.

Differentiate or Die
    06-30-14 06:30 AM
    The other burning question.

Most android apps on google play eg. instagram uses google services for push notifications.

Does the android apps on amazon app store have push notifications? Maybe using their own push servers?

And will BB10 be able to use the servers?

Differentiate or Die
    06-30-14 10:35 AM
    Good news guys, the latest Netflix update 1.0.0.1631, using Snap, is working now on my gf's Q10!

Seems to me that at least Netflix is taking now into account 1:1 ratio devices. I know the CEO said there would be no BB10 app, but seeing as they fixed the problem I previously mentioned, could it be that they might have a change of mind?

austriker and riss89 like this.
    07-04-14 06:27 PM
    Guys don't forget that android apps, natively support 4:3 ratio as well, which could be just very good for the passport screen real estate!

It won't be perfect, but at least much better than 16:9.

The screen height is pretty much the same as the old iPhone 4! Imagine if you stretch that out to 4:3 ratio, the experience would be perfect with a small letterbox!! I've got hope!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by tomsobon; 07-05-14 at 08:16 AM.
    07-05-14 04:36 AM
    Guys don't forget that android apps, natively support 4:3 ratio as well, which could be just perfect for the passport screen real estate!

It won't be perfect, but at least much better than 16:9.

The screen height is pretty much the same as the old iPhone 4! Imagine if you stretch that out to 4:3 ratio, the experience would be perfect with a small letterbox!! I've got hope!

Posted via CB10
    If android apps are able to rescale itself to 4:3 on the passport that would be ideal. The letter boxing would be minimal and the app will display itself as it should without problems.

4:3 is doable because many android tablets (and most tablets) are 4:3. And tablet and phone apps are the same on android unlike the iphone and ipad.

Somehow I dont have faith that BlackBerry has this in mind although this would sort out the biggest problem with the passport to me.

Differentiate or Die
    07-05-14 06:06 AM
    This is the deal breaker for me. If the 4:3 doesn't look and play sweet, I will have to wait for the Z50!

From my z30
    07-13-14 06:58 PM