I read through the entire thread and couldn't understand one thing - which is a good list to gauge which phone is doing well or not? :P

Monster Z30 | Connect 2BA7BC8C | follow @anubhavnagpal | join BBM India Hangout at C0001C740
    09-27-14 02:41 PM
    Did you bother to look at the other phones topping this list?

The Passport is hardly in good company. #2 is a low-end, sub-$100 BLU device that is primarily marketed in Latin America. #3 is a deeply discounted (-71%) Samsung that is two generations old while #4 is the Moto G which Motorola intended for developing markets. This list is hardly the one that a flagship device wants to be at the top of.
    See I take it completely opposite of you. The fact that these are the other top sellers means that no one really pays for premium phones outright but BlackBerry is able to charge $600 and still make great traction.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 02:45 PM
    In my opinion, 200.000 Passports sold in two days are very, very good numbers for this device.
    I think so to in the scheme of things. Interesting to see if the demand stays up.
    09-27-14 02:50 PM
    I don't think he called any individual a loser. I actually agree with him entirely. People here are acting like this broke sales records, but it's just on top of a list of phones not a lot of people buy. If the phone were in the same company as the big names, then that's an achievement to be proud of. This isn't. Do you make sure your kids play sports where they don't keep score, and everyone gets a trophy?

Posted via CB10
    The implication was made that blackberry is a loser for being #1 on a list of subpar/older cheap phones. I know what point he's trying to make but having taken a quick look at the posts he's replied too, I never got the sense that the BlackBerry fanboys were delusuonal in their assessment of what this Amazon "result" really meant. The fact is, no matter how someone wants to spin the results of Amazon sales....anyway you slice it, 200,000 sales is really good for BlackBerry relative to where they've been over the last 2-3 yrs.
    People are mis-interpreting enthusiam in the thread as blindly trumpeting the return of BlackBerry to world #1 status. Hey, we're just happy for good news. 200,000 sales in 24hrs is good news.
    Come on....cheer for an underdog.

Posted from my z10
    09-27-14 03:52 PM
    I've been cheering on the underdog. I bought 3 z10s, a q10 and a z30. Plus 2 PlayBooks. I doubt many more individuals have given more money to BlackBerry than I have the past year. That being said, I'm not going to be buying a passport. Have you seen what people are saying about it? It's a running joke. Not many people want a pizza box with a physical keyboard, they want big touch screens with inflated hardware stats and applications. The crux with BlackBerry since the iPhone and Android were released is the software selection. Sure, the amazon app store is a huge step in the right direction, but it's not quite enough to persuade someone to buy a passport over the other offerings.

Do I want BlackBerry to take back the crown? Absolutely.

Do I think Chen is doing an excellent job as ceo? Yes.

Do I think these numbers are indicative of success? Not at all.

Do I think the passport will be what puts BlackBerry back on the map? Negative.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 04:14 PM
    OK folks, what it really comes down to is this. A business only needs to sell a certain number of things in order to generate enough revenue to cover their operating expenses, anything past that is realized as profit which can be used for future growth, bonuses, whatever. That "certain number" depends entirely on the scale of the business. If I have a local bakery that makes specialty breads--I sell enough loafs, to a few repeat loyal customers that appreciate the uniqueness of my recipes, to stay running and make profit. However compared to the numbers of brands like "Natures Own" or "Bimbo", that make mediocre sliced bread for the masses,... I'm a complete failure. Guess more people like bland bread with high fructose corn syrup in it,.. or at least they don't know any better. But does that mean I should close my bakery? Or should I get greedy, drop the artesanal recipes, load up my loafs with white flour and corn syrup and start selling to the grocery store and 7-eleven?

I for one am glad that BlackBerry seems to have scaled back their insistence on pandering to the masses. To the type of users that go for "the latest apps" above core functionality. At the same time I understand BlackBerry needs to sell enough devices,.. but "enough" for BlackBerry doesn't have to be 10 Million in one day. Chen already said that the Passport is already profitable.

And that's all that is required for them to keep baking.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 05:23 PM
    I went to the Blackberry site and their Amazon purchase link to me to the "sign up to be notified" listing. Then I did a search on Amazon for Blackberry Passport and found KICKmobiles selling it for $1049 (plus free shipping). Wow, phone scalping just like they are doing for the iPhones...ridiculous. I want one but I'll wait until they're available again.
    I really like the passport but i hope no1 buys it for that price -_- come on $1049 wow

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 05:36 PM
    Now that's a sensible reply/post.
    Thank you

Posted from my z10
    09-27-14 06:01 PM
    Yeah, being on top of an irrelevant list definitely makes up for not being on a relevant list. Great best!

Good job BlackBerry! You were able to defeat the smartphone titan BLU in an attempt to reclaim the crown. Next up? The Galaxy S4! And after that, the iPhone 5! By the time they're on pace for passports sold to keep up with those two, we'll have the Galaxy s9 and iPhone 19

Posted via CB10
    Jeeez man... They're struggling at the bottom right now.. They're trying to climb up. Why are you so jaded that you have to knock any sign of progress? It's very off-putting
    AthenaSmith likes this.
    09-27-14 09:01 PM
    I'm not jaded st all, I'm just realistic.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 10:54 PM
    From reading this thread I have come to the following conclusion.

No one in this world is allowed to be happy. Hear me out.

Over the last month I have changed my eating habits with the goal of getting rid of 2 lbs. By the end of the month I had gotten rid of 5 lbs. More than doubling my goal.

If the rule in this thread holds true, I'm not allowed to be happy because someone else got rid of more weight in the past month than me. BS.

For once BlackBerry (read John Chen) publicly stated measurable metrics whereby to gauge success from BlackBerry's perspective. John stated that their "expectation" was to sell 240,000 Passport phones by the end of the year, December 31st. After the 1st 2 days he stated that BlackBerry had sold 200,000 units during his earnings call. If that isn't beating expectations please provide an example that clarifies it further.

Those that hold BlackBerry near and dear are "happy" and "encouraged" by the results of the past week, as they rightly should be. Don't pee in their cornflakes.

Cheers.

Z30'ing
    09-27-14 11:23 PM
    You are allowed to be happy, but not happy when you get a trophy for losing.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 07:08 AM
    You are allowed to be happy, but not happy when you get a trophy for losing.

Posted via CB10
    So by your definition only the best selling phone ever wins? That's preposterous.

It's sold well with regards to the expectations. Full stop.

Posted via CB10
    blackberryoveratt likes this.
    09-28-14 07:11 AM
    Sell 200,000by years end and sold that in a few days. Don't you think he under estimated, tremendously?

Sounds to me he knew he would sell that much, but down played it.

Just my opinion.

Blackberry Z30
    09-28-14 07:49 AM
    Let's put this in context. The HTC One M8 sold 500,000 in a month. The Galaxy S5 sold a million in 11 days. Both of these handsets had the benefit of a supine blogosphere, and wide availability with carrier subsidy in retail stores.

The fact that the Passport has sold 200,000 in a day, unsubsidised, on two websites, is astonishing. We still have to see the figures for devices shipped out to carriers and other retailers. I bought mine outright from a third-party website, as will have plenty of others. We still have no figures from Carphone Warehouse, Telus, Dubai retail or any of the other major channels that had it immediately at launch.
    Banco, spikesolie, Munx and 1 others like this.
    09-28-14 07:52 AM
    Similar to how iPhone users inflate numbers, by re-buying their broken phone with smashed screen every week? Or am I confusing that with the re-purchasing due to bent or microwaved phones?

So many reasons, I can't keep a track of them all. It all gets so confusing.

But you are correct. Statistics do show BlackBerry owners do make more money on average than iPhone users.

Posted via CB10
    Ha, all valid statements but absolutely love the last line about BlackBerry users making more money on average than iphone users.

Would love to see the sales if there was a VZW/Sprint version available.

Posted via Q10
    09-28-14 08:07 AM
    Don't know if this was posted somewhere else, but you can now order on Amazon again. Still out of stock, but they'll ship when they're in stock.

EDIT: Annnnnnnnnnnnd they're gone again. If your signed up to receive notification when they're stock, you WILL NOT get an email when they're available for pre-order. Keep checking the page.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...UvbUpU10906636
    Last edited by lonestar1135; 09-30-14 at 04:28 AM.
    09-29-14 05:49 PM
    And still $599...At least you can lock in price.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 06:03 PM
    And still $599...At least you can lock in price.

Posted via CB10
    Definitely. Especially here in MD, Amazon orders have been tax free, but starting tomorrow, all amazon orders will be taxed the state 6%, so you can save some money there too. If I didn't already order on shopblackberry, I'd buy. Still on backorder though
    09-29-14 06:47 PM
    Locked in my price at Amazon a few days ago for $599 but still not in stock. Anyone reach out to Amazon yet and find out when they will be shipping out orders?
    09-29-14 07:09 PM
    Don't pee in their cornflakes.
    +1.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 07:31 PM
    i went thru the first 2 pages of reviews on the Passport.

there's a lot of satisfied users!
    09-29-14 08:00 PM
    I'm really glad to read this bit of good news. Keep moving, BlackBerry! I'll be ordering from Amazon when it's back in stock.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 10:22 PM
    The trolls in this thread are infuriating, lol.

I, for one, think being #1 at $600 on a list of far cheaper phones is still a good thing. Especially considering that it likely only went to #2 the next day because it SOLD OUT. :rolls eyes:

VZW STL 100-4 currently running 10.3.0.1154
    09-29-14 10:58 PM
    Just checked out google trends. Passport tops the 'hot searches' category.
    Notice it beats out 'bending' iPhones!!
    Attachment 300203
    I would definitely want a Paulina.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 11:01 PM
136 ... 3456