I remember the Apple Newton MessagePad 2000. Was it that long ago? Bought it the same day as Princess Diana's funeral, that's why the date is stuck in my mind.

Th MessagePad was so much ahead of its time, that while sitting on a London Underground train, a crowd gathered around me to marvel at the device. But, just like the Passport, it was misunderstood, and never got the positive reviews it deserved. That device was such a workhorse, that I've recently scanned eBay for newish old stock versions. Think I'll have to pass though, way too many compatibility and storage space problems.

Anyway, my point is that in all those years, the Passport has been the only device to capture my imagination in the same way as the MessagePad. Just picking it out the box and running my fingers across the bezel told me it was something special.

The Newton was killed by Jobs. The Passport by you know who. It's a sad day...

I'm off to find a tissue
    08-08-17 04:48 PM
    It deserved a second chance - at least a shot of revising a couple of things. In fact, I would have loved to see a full pkb as opposed to the hybrid and perhaps even taller. It was easy on my eyes too - less eye strain.
    dmlis likes this.
    08-08-17 04:53 PM
    3 row keyboard was a chance to make a huge splash in the market, showing that physical keyboards could still be attractive, and yet have new functionality.

I think the classic and Keyone going back to 4 row is a mistake.

If you need proof, just look at Gboard, and even the latest update to the BlackBerry keyboard, they're embracing the on screen virtual row.
    dmlis likes this.
    08-08-17 05:50 PM
    The Newton was killed by Jobs. The Passport by you know who.
    The consumer market?
    08-08-17 10:25 PM
    I remember the Apple Newton MessagePad 2000. Was it that long ago? Bought it the same day as Princess Diana's funeral, that's why the date is stuck in my mind.

Th MessagePad was so much ahead of its time, that while sitting on a London Underground train, a crowd gathered around me to marvel at the device. But, just like the Passport, it was misunderstood, and never got the positive reviews it deserved. That device was such a workhorse, that I've recently scanned eBay for newish old stock versions. Think I'll have to pass though, way too many compatibility and storage space problems.

Anyway, my point is that in all those years, the Passport has been the only device to capture my imagination in the same way as the MessagePad. Just picking it out the box and running my fingers across the bezel told me it was something special.

The Newton was killed by Jobs. The Passport by you know who. It's a sad day...

I'm off to find a tissue
    Actually when JC arrived the Passport was on hold as had been developed basically previously. Was JC that decided with pushing forward and launching. With unprecedented marketing and a Global launch synchronized in 3 world locations. Sold out quickly but lack of apps RE BB10 versus Android killed it, nothing else.
    Qorax likes this.
    08-08-17 11:38 PM
    I still loving and using the passport

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    08-08-17 11:44 PM
    No, the Newton offered bundles of functionality that no other device ever had before and would not have for a long time. It was truly ahead of its time.
    The Passport, while innovative, is not in the same league. The capacitive keyboard was probably the most innovative thing, nobody has yet copied it (well nobody else even has a keyboard :-)
    Everything else about the Passport was already available on other phones, just minor improvements.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-17 12:40 AM