So many things have changed this year for me here making BB10 obsolete It is sad as the PP is a really good phone in fact they all are .
    1 )my business email server made it only possible to run the email on android /iphone
    2) my bank require you to have android /iphone and if you want to use your PC you still need your phone because it gives you the access code for laptop or PC
    3) I am in the transport/fawarding industry and we had an app that at the time was only developed for BB this is now obsolete and I know use an android app
    4) My company phone system a US and UK company(Vonage) require you to run your phone system from an android/iphone app

All in all BB10 this year has fallen apart completly I now use the Dtek 50 and it is a very good phone but you would need to really think before you purchased another BB10 phone
    11-13-19 05:20 AM
    So many things have changed this year for me here making BB10 obsolete It is sad as the PP is a really good phone in fact they all are .
    1 )my business email server made it only possible to run the email on android /iphone
    2) my bank require you to have android /iphone and if you want to use your PC you still need your phone because it gives you the access code for laptop or PC
    3) I am in the transport/fawarding industry and we had an app that at the time was only developed for BB this is now obsolete and I know use an android app
    4) My company phone system a US and UK company(Vonage) require you to run your phone system from an android/iphone app

All in all BB10 this year has fallen apart completly I now use the Dtek 50 and it is a very good phone but you would need to really think before you purchased another BB10 phone
    Depending on your future needs and budget, pick your next Android/iOS carefully. BlackBerry Android hasn’t fared much better regarding latest version is Oreo 8.1 while Android has moved up to Pie 9.0 and even Android 10 now. I’m not happy that I’ve moved to iOS but I needed carrier supported hardware and software hopefully for more than 1-2 years.
    11-13-19 06:24 AM
    Depending on your future needs and budget, pick your next Android/iOS carefully. BlackBerry Android hasn’t fared much better regarding latest version is Oreo 8.1 while Android has moved up to Pie 9.0 and even Android 10 now. I’m not happy that I’ve moved to iOS but I needed carrier supported hardware and software hopefully for more than 1-2 years.
    Yes but I dont have a problem with that when the DTEK50 is half the price of the Passport in the UK
    The passport with its limitations is well over priced
    11-13-19 07:25 AM
    Yes but I dont have a problem with that when the DTEK50 is half the price of the Passport in the UK
    Yes the Passports now are expensive due to collectors and scarcity. The difference is that Android is not designed with longevity in mind. Like BB10, iOS gets software and hardware support that allows you to carry and use 4-5 years and it’s still actively developed with strong backward compatibility.

Android base or mid tier devices are supported ok for 1-2 years and your updates, OS and security, quit coming. While the apps have backwards compatibility, the ecosystem seems to grow all system requirement needs each year faster. It’s as if Android isn’t developed for storage efficiency as well as iOS but I’m not professionally experienced. Like 2/16 and 3/32 hardware was acceptable for couple years each but now we’re onto 4/64 and I can see it’s lifecycle of about two years average. Now 6/128 or 8/256 are manufactured by Android OEMs but at flagship prices. Dividing price/number of years use has me realizing that iOS was great deal for me when I spent $750 for two XR last year. I’m just pointing out BB10 and it’s hardware was priced more like iOS and that Android business model isn’t the same. That’s all.
    11-13-19 07:43 AM
    Yes the Passports now are expensive due to collectors and scarcity. The difference is that Android is not designed with longevity in mind. Like BB10, iOS gets software and hardware support that allows you to carry and use 4-5 years and it’s still actively developed with strong backward compatibility.

Android base or mid tier devices are supported ok for 1-2 years and your updates, OS and security, quit coming. While the apps have backwards compatibility, the ecosystem seems to grow all system requirement needs each year faster. It’s as if Android isn’t developed for storage efficiency as well as iOS but I’m not professionally experienced. Like 2/16 and 3/32 hardware was acceptable for couple years each but now we’re onto 4/64 and I can see it’s lifecycle of about two years average. Now 6/128 or 8/256 are manufactured by Android OEMs but at flagship prices. Dividing price/number of years use has me realizing that iOS was great deal for me when I spent $750 for two XR last year. I’m just pointing out BB10 and it’s hardware was priced more like iOS and that Android business model isn’t the same. That’s all.
    11-13-19 07:43 AM
    I'm the kind of geek that would be interested in reading this study!

For me, nothing can touch BB10 for pure email multitasking ability. If the ART for BB10 were updated to the latest release and I could get all my vital apps on my Passport, it would undoubtedly, IMO, be the king of all devices.
    But we didn't get an updated ART, or updates in general... Passport is a 2014 phone running 2013 software, it is very limited as a smartphone by today's definitions. But the definition of 2008, which is basically a feature phone with email - it's still a great smartphone (unless you have a corporate account that won't work with it because of it's older email standards).
    Jeremy Hawke likes this.
    11-13-19 08:02 AM
    I think there is a reason that this phone is no longer used in the two riches countries in the Northern hemisphere
    11-13-19 11:50 AM
    Hello!
    Glad there is someone who wants to know! I have owned my Passport for over three years - previously I had owned a Iphone 5S but it was not the best of what I wanted to do , but before that I owned various keyboarded Nokias (N900, N9110 etc) as I am a business user and I love my keyboard very much! But here are some of my good points -
    - The keyboard if you are a constant old school typer
    - BB10 is still the most secure system ever
    - Has an external SD card slot so you can expand this to 1 TB if you want(!)
    - Whatsapp can run on this including Viber etc as it is 2019
    -Blackberry Hub is still the best comms management system
    -I still get people stopping me and saying how cool the phone is!

Now the low points -
    - It is not a social phone as it does not support Instagram, SnapChat etc so you need a Android device like Key1 & 2, Privs and DTEKs. I do not have any on these as I want to be off the grid (!)
    - Fiddly music and other media settings - I tend to copy my music via my desktop and arrange this in my handset
    - Blackberry World and BBM has shut down this year but only BBM business is still active
    - Very low software support as the years go by
    - Battery can sometimes gets overheated if you use it too heavily
    Other than that I have no complaints except that to me it is still has a understated cool factor and it does what I want, until Blackberry will resurrect the BB OS platform and going back to support business users like myself. Good luck with your choice!
    11-17-19 05:29 AM
    Is it still worth owning a Blackberry phone that runs BB10 in 2019
    You need to carry other android phone for banking and payment apps.

<<<Life is good with Blackberry Classic!>>>
    11-17-19 11:39 AM
    Not sure about this one point specifically in 2019 compared with Android/iOS partnered with UEM solutions. After 2019, I don't believe it will have active development therefore security won't be updated.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-17-19 11:58 AM
    Not sure about this one point specifically in 2019 compared with Android/iOS partnered with UEM solutions. After 2019, I don't believe it will have active development therefore security won't be updated.
    "X is more secure than Y," is pretty much a meaningless statement unless a specific threat profile is included.

What are the assets being secured?
    Who are the threat actors, and what capabilities do they possess?
    What are the known attack vectors?

Once that context is established, then it's possible to assess the available controls and the residual risk after those are implemented.

BB10 suffers from being old, which may or may not make it vulnerable to a given threat.

Android suffers from being complex, which may or may not make it vulnerable a given threat.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    11-17-19 12:29 PM
    One reason KaiOS is growing so fast... it bridges the gap in a way that allows basic hardware to be used. They have already sold more units than BlackBerry did with BBOS and BB10 combined....
    I just ran across this post. Is there any consensus on the viability of KaiOS, privacy and device wise? I'm unwilling to accept the invasive privacy issues with android in general.

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    11-18-19 02:27 PM
    I just ran across this post. Is there any consensus on the viability of KaiOS, privacy and device wise? I'm unwilling to accept the invasive privacy issues with android in general.

Their biggest backer is Google... so take that for what it's worth.
    11-18-19 03:39 PM

Do you mean the part where it’s called a smart feature phone instead of smart phone? Don’t worry as I believe Google is helping back KaiOS with app support and partial ownership.
    11-18-19 03:59 PM
    Oh well, so much for that possibility. I hoped that someone had finally created a viable OS that gave users true granular ability to restrict access to critical areas of privacy concerns such as contacts, calendar, camera & microphone, location, texts and Web browsing (to name the biggest concerns).

I hate the idea that I may have to at some point carry two phones with the 2nd having no SIM card (using the Q10 as a WiFi spot) and anonymized as much as possible. But I definitely plan to put this off for as long as I possibly can! Sigh... for now I will still prefer privacy over convenience.

truth4u likes this.
    11-19-19 12:30 AM
    BB10 is more and more a hobby OS because the hacks can help but you have to know them in the first place.
    You know, maybe a concentrated list of these could be a very useful thing to both newbies and those who are more experienced yet managed to miss seeing some of the hacks? Just a thought.

11-19-19 12:48 AM
    - Has an external SD card slot so you can expand this to 1 TB if you want
    Two points. I DO rely on the great capability to use large micro SD cards.

As for the security aspects I differ from some comments. Granted that it is not impossible to break the security of the BlackBerry 10 OS, crooks go where the highest rewards are. For years that more than anything else made the Apple computers more secure than PC's from viruses and hacking. They attacked the 90% of systems in use. But for me the greatest security I get from my Q10 is the much greater level of privacy I get from having my life harvested for profit. I really don't fear being hacked. I carry no top secret data that would attract any deliberate attacks. But my doctor visits, friends and family, texts etc are nobody's damned business but mine. And the android (especially google itself) ability to access the camera, GPS and microphone appall me completely. As does the ability to modify or delete any files on my device, all without either my knowledge & especially my permission!

I'm nobody important or even remotely famous for which the concerns are expected. Merely wanting to lead a quiet and private life.

truth4u likes this.
    11-19-19 02:32 AM
    You know, maybe a concentrated list of these could be a very useful thing to both newbies and those who are more experienced yet managed to miss seeing some of the hacks? Just a thought.

After seven years, the whole entirety of CrackBerry is that place now for all that’s BlackBerry especially for the BB10 hacks. The forums especially now, have constantly updated fixes regarding all the different aspects.
    11-19-19 06:14 AM
    For me it works awesome! Google maps works, googleplay store still works, google earth works, googleplay music works, bbm still works between bb10 phones, txt, call, emails, bb worls still works, printhand works! Yes Passport silver edition rocks! NewPipe ( youtube client) works!, camera awesome, Telegram works perfect!
    11-20-19 06:05 PM
    For me it works awesome! Google maps works, googleplay store still works, google earth works, googleplay music works, bbm still works between bb10 phones, txt, call, emails, bb worls still works, printhand works! Yes Passport silver edition rocks! NewPipe ( youtube client) works!, camera awesome, Telegram works perfect!
    Google Playstore? Do you mean the Cobalt Version? A lot of apps no longer recognize it.

Posted via my Passport
    11-20-19 06:46 PM
    bbm still works between bb10 phones
    ...and also cross-platform with iOS and Android.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-19 09:03 PM
    ...and also cross-platform with iOS and Android.

Posted via CB10
    To some extent, yes, but video calling doesn't for example.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-19 06:31 PM
    To some extent, yes, but video calling doesn't for example.
    Sure, but you can always go to Skype. Video calling between any platform.
    It's not even a hack, just install the Skype APK
    11-24-19 01:56 AM
    My 1st BlackBerry was a pager sized device with no phone. Email and Text only. I wish it stayed that way. I currently carry with me a BB Passport , which is the best, and I carry 2 Samsung phones (8-plus and note 10-plus) The Samsung phones are for phone calls, Social media, and internet. My Passport is used primarily for emails, some text and occasional Kindle reader. Love my Blackberries. Have quite a collection of old ones. Do not like the new Android Blackberry devices. However I do realize that I will have to retire my passport soon. Just have not found anything that does email and text just as well. Trying Outlook on Samsung and it sucks, Might replace my Passport with a new iPhone. Just SAD!
    12-04-19 10:22 AM
    I used to carry 2 Blackberry Torches and a Motorola Flip phone. That was Heaven
    12-04-19 11:39 AM
107 ... 2345