If you use just stock and native apps and maybe one or two Android apps moderately then sure, I can believe that.

But trying to use it as an Android phone with dozens of apk's, well...
    OP thread was using BlackBerry in 2019...well that's what I tried...and NO go...like you said one or more Android apps and...Hasta la Vista Baby!
    the_boon and Mecca EL like this.
    07-11-19 03:58 PM
    one or two Android apps
    I have 10 android apps on there right now but only one that is a super energy slurper. What I do is, I have a folder "Android Apps" on my SD card that contains working android apps and I install them when needed then uninstall when I don't. An example is the eBay android app. I maybe use it once per month for about 10 minutes. So why have it installed permanently? It only takes 1 minute to install from my SD card. Another is the HomeAway android app which I use ONLY when on a trip somewhere. Uninstall it when I'm back home. Easy to do and makes my device much, much more efficient.
    07-11-19 04:25 PM
    I have 10 android apps on there right now but only one that is a super energy slurper. What I do is, I have a folder "Android Apps" on my SD card that contains working android apps and I install them when needed then uninstall when I don't. An example is the eBay android app. I maybe use it once per month for about 10 minutes. So why have it installed permanently? It only takes 1 minute to install from my SD card. Another is the HomeAway android app which I use ONLY when on a trip somewhere. Uninstall it when I'm back home. Easy to do and makes my device much, much more efficient.
    With all respect...with today's devices...just can't support your manual process... I wish you best...while I roll KEY2 REDEDITION... no issues just pure 'FLOW!
    the_boon likes this.
    07-11-19 04:29 PM
    With all respect...with today's devices...just can't support your manual process... I wish you best...while I roll KEY2 REDEDITION... no issues just pure 'FLOW!
    Hey, each to his own, I use absolutely NO social media apps other than CB10 and I also have 2 older android phones, one running M and one with O. Guess which phone I like to use best, lol? Most posters here on CB just cannot fathom a user who is a minimalist. My manual process is far less time wasting than the amount of time you probably spend watching cat videos .... with all due respect.
    irishcorker, Mecca EL and sesp9 like this.
    07-11-19 04:34 PM
    Hey, each to his own, I use absolutely NO social media apps other than CB10 and I also have 2 older android phones, one running M and one with O. Guess which phone I like to use best, lol? Most posters here on CB just cannot fathom a user who is a minimalist. My manual process is far less time wasting than the amount of time you probably spend watching cat videos .... with all due respect.
    Like you said ...with respect...we all have choices. Yes it's 2019 and social media has become as important as e-mail. To my disgrace. and ...old school here...with Al Stewart and Year of the Cat...what a tune
    07-11-19 04:44 PM
    Like you said ...with respect...we all have choices. Yes it's 2019 and social media has become as important as e-mail. To my disgrace. and ...old school here...with Al Stewart and Year of the Cat...what a tune
    And a nice tune it is!
    Rico4you likes this.
    07-11-19 04:50 PM
    I use a BlackBerry 10 phone in 2019, but I do also use other operating systems.
    07-11-19 05:45 PM
    If the Passport's generous 3400mAh battery can't handle this basic communication usage, then imagine how bad it would be on the other BB10 devices
    As a 9983 user, essentially a Q, I have no issues with making it through most days, beginning at 0630 and running until almost midnight. A number of accounts, etc. If the day is very heavy use, ie northing of 200 mails sent, BBM, SMS and many phone calls, etc., then perhaps around 1800hrs either a short charge at the desk or a quick battery swap if out and about.
    07-11-19 06:59 PM
    I don't think so. once I couldn't use Web shortcuts in place of apps because the browsers just didn't reliably do anything anymore I had to grudgingly give up. that happened long ago. not worth it
    Rico4you likes this.
    07-11-19 07:16 PM
    I was all good with it until I couldn't do ghings I NEEDED to do. Nothing wrong with minimal but while I still won't use Facebook regularly I still have to at times for work. Broke down and started using snap chat some because it's the only way my kids pay attention for rather the fastest
    07-11-19 07:18 PM
    As a 9983 user, essentially a Q, I have no issues with making it through most days, beginning at 0630 and running until almost midnight. A number of accounts, etc. If the day is very heavy use, ie northing of 200 mails sent, BBM, SMS and many phone calls, etc., then perhaps around 1800hrs either a short charge at the desk or a quick battery swap if out and about.
    So no app usage?
    07-11-19 07:19 PM
    So no app usage?
    Of course not! It's a BBOS device, I don't doubt that it can make it through a whole day with just e-mail/sms/calls
    07-11-19 09:08 PM
    What I do is, I have a folder "Android Apps" on my SD card that contains working android apps and I install them when needed then uninstall when I don't.
    "Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!"

I'm not even sure if having them merely installed sips away battery, because you can go into the permissions settings and disable "run when minimized" and "run in background".

But opening and using them, if they so much as require a little bit more juice than CB Forums, well, it's gonna go down fast(er).
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-11-19 09:10 PM
    So no app usage?
    Apps? Well, a few basic, such as browser, a few games, but typically more on the simple/logical side. Not complicated shooting games, Minions, etc. Do not do banking on my phone, or those that I do, I through a web with a double encrypted separate code generator provided by the bank.
    07-11-19 09:56 PM
    "Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!"

I'm not even sure if having them merely installed sips away battery, because you can go into the permissions settings and disable "run when minimized" and "run in background".

But opening and using them, if they so much as require a little bit more juice than CB Forums, well, it's gonna go down fast(er).
    It's not like I'm opening/installing/uninstalling them every day. I have 10 apps in that folder and maybe use them once or twice per MONTH. I would spend far less time/energy than you would by perusing your FacePlant feed for 1 hour. Why do you think my 5 year old device still lasts me more than one day? This process would absolutely kill you simply because you probably have 3 or 4 times more apps than I do. So yes, I do have time for that and you probably have lots of time giggling at said cats and their hijinks. Your needs for a device with all the apps is much greater than mine and I respect that. Maybe you could do the same.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-11-19 10:36 PM
    If you just want a basic device to handle your email and sms, then sure. Otherwise you would be best to look elsewhere.
    Agreed, that was what I used mine for until the battery finally cried enough a couple of weeks ago after four and a half years daily use. Got a Key 2 now but boy, do I miss my Passport.
    07-12-19 03:50 AM
    BB10 is more and more a hobby OS because the hacks can help but you have to know them in the first place.
    07-12-19 03:31 PM
    Why don't you just close the app from the device manager when you don't use it? From then on it only sits on your storage and does not drain anything.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-19 03:19 AM
    Besides my BlackBerry Bold, I loved my Passport.
    Now all BlackBerry need to do is release the Passport with Android OS...
    It’s called the Key2 since it needs to sell enough get both Classic and Passport users. The Classic was closer to KEYone dimensions only so I believe Key2 is close enough to Classic while closer to Passport also . Too close to square and you’ll lose the Classic supporters. You need the spectrum to be feasible.
    07-13-19 04:07 PM
    1. Streaming radio (via the stock browser);
    2. Watching YouTube;
    3. Using Miracast when needed;
    4. Daily driver for email, texts, calls;
    5. Use it as BT trackpad/keyboard/multimedia remote;
    6. Camera can produce real quality and is even suitable for artistic purposes;
    7. Edit / create documents with ease (even large chunks of text);
    8. Use it as a portable backup storage when shooting with my SLR camera / review shots taken and delete what I do not need on the go;
    9. Use its mobile AP functionality every day (sometimes quite much!);
    10. My daily music player and quick access to the web.

What it does not do is simply beyond my understanding of what a smartphone is expected to do. I enjoy this functionality with native BB10 apps in 2019 as I do not need more. 1 year 7 months trouble-free use (and probably more than 700 cycles as I abuse it very much!). Overall, nothing more needed to ask for. This is my first Blackberry phone and probably the last. It was my lucky purchase because I decided to go out one Saturday to buy a new phone and was horrified by the dullness and the visual appearance of all similar boring-looking devices. Got it brand new last year for £199 and this is the best deal I've had so far when it comes to owning any phone.
    07-15-19 03:32 AM
  21. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Still using my day one Passport as sole phone... emails, sms, voice, facebook, Internet browsing (not ideal, but sufficient)... no plans to move off it for now....

And yes, I can afford any phone out there....

Big screen and pkb experience can't be beat...

Posted via CB10
    07-15-19 09:05 AM
    If you just want a basic device to handle your email and sms, then sure. Otherwise you would be best to look elsewhere.
    Even email is tricky if you have office 365 accounts with MFA enabled.
    07-20-19 07:17 AM
    Besides my BlackBerry Bold, I loved my Passport.
    Now all BlackBerry need to do is release the Passport with Android OS...
    Such a shame they didn't.
    07-20-19 07:19 AM
    1. Streaming radio (via the stock browser);
    2. Watching YouTube;
    3. Using Miracast when needed;
    4. Daily driver for email, texts, calls;
    5. Use it as BT trackpad/keyboard/multimedia remote;
    6. Camera can produce real quality and is even suitable for artistic purposes;
    7. Edit / create documents with ease (even large chunks of text);
    8. Use it as a portable backup storage when shooting with my SLR camera / review shots taken and delete what I do not need on the go;
    9. Use its mobile AP functionality every day (sometimes quite much!);
    10. My daily music player and quick access to the web.

What it does not do is simply beyond my understanding of what a smartphone is expected to do. I enjoy this functionality with native BB10 apps in 2019 as I do not need more. 1 year 7 months trouble-free use (and probably more than 700 cycles as I abuse it very much!). Overall, nothing more needed to ask for. This is my first Blackberry phone and probably the last. It was my lucky purchase because I decided to go out one Saturday to buy a new phone and was horrified by the dullness and the visual appearance of all similar boring-looking devices. Got it brand new last year for £199 and this is the best deal I've had so far when it comes to owning any phone.

I also do some of these things with my Passport. Email, texts, whatsapp, phone, camera, scanner, browser, youtube CB

I still have my z10 with 2 email accounts & twitter.

Works fine!

Posted via CB10
    07-21-19 05:17 AM
    "Wow that's the widest phone I've ever seen" exclaimed a very bright, if young, but enthusiastic Grade 2 student upon seeing a Passport up close last week . "What kind of phone is that?" She asked very interested. Even the young notice a Passport for its design, it's such a stand out.

Don't forget as a book document reader Adobe/PDF formats (others too?) held sideways scrolling along the keyboard just feels right.
    11-09-19 12:14 AM
107 1234 ...