Is it still worth owning a Blackberry phone that runs BB10 in 2019
    07-10-19 09:24 PM
    IMO nope. To many hurdles to make it worth it. WIth a new BBMo device running android you get hte BB security and the advantage of full andrand that runs everything with no hoops to jump thru. Still have great keyboard options with them as well.
    07-10-19 09:35 PM
    I believe there's another thread on the same subject with quite a number of pros and cons.

A lot depends on what you need a smartphone to do.
    07-10-19 09:53 PM
    Not to most people. If you already own BB10 hardware, it's really personal choice. If you don't already own BB10 hardware and really understand it's limitations, you could end up frustrated.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-10-19 10:16 PM
    Absolutely, if you are wanting a phone that is second to none for privacy and security. The only caveat is that you'll want to know that Android app support, particularly for Android games, can be difficult due to BB10's older Android runtime.

As you've already seen you'll find many with the opposing view here, but ppeters has it closest. Feel free to PM as well if you'd like to discuss off-thread.
    07-10-19 10:24 PM
    If you just want a basic device to handle your email and sms, then sure. Otherwise you would be best to look elsewhere.
    the_boon and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-10-19 10:28 PM
    It'd help if you told us what you want to use your phone for.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-11-19 05:10 AM
    For me it wasn't worth owning one back in 2016....

There are many others here that can't seem to use anything else today. It comes down to what you need a smartphone to do, and understanding the at the end of the year BB10 will be EOL.

For someone that $100 Passport is a lot of money and they need to to last them a few years... no it's not worth it. If buying one is pocket change and you understand it will be less next year than it is today... go for it.
    ppeters914 and Mecca EL like this.
    07-11-19 08:57 AM
    For me it wasn't worth owning one back in 2016....

There are many others here that can't seem to use anything else today. It comes down to what you need a smartphone to do, and understanding the at the end of the year BB10 will be EOL.

For someone that $100 Passport is a lot of money and they need to to last them a few years... no it's not worth it. If buying one is pocket change and you understand it will be less next year than it is today... go for it.
    This statement is spot on and what I was hoping to convey in my earlier comment.
    ppeters914 and the_boon like this.
    07-11-19 01:12 PM
    Guys and Gals....

Just a quick question that has probably been asked a thousand times, but I still cant find a definitive answer wherever I search. Hopefully someone can help me as I have x2 older devices I'd like to start using again:

1. I have an old P'9981 - Will I still be able to receive emails on this device using (BIS) beyond 2019 in the UK?

2. I also have a Passport SE - Will I still be able to receive emails on this device using (BES) beyond 2019 in the UK?

I'm not in any way bothered about apps, internet browsing, facebook or anything else, just emails pushed to my devices and there are still a few networks that offer Blackberry data as a service.

Hopefully someone can tell me!?

Thanks in advance.
    07-11-19 01:18 PM
    Guys and Gals....

Just a quick question that has probably been asked a thousand times, but I still cant find a definitive answer wherever I search. Hopefully someone can help me as I have x2 older devices I'd like to start using again:

1. I have an old P'9981 - Will I still be able to receive emails on this device using (BIS) beyond 2019 in the UK?

2. I also have a Passport SE - Will I still be able to receive emails on this device using (BES) beyond 2019 in the UK?

I'm not in any way bothered about apps, internet browsing, facebook or anything else, just emails pushed to my devices and there are still a few networks that offer Blackberry data as a service.

Thanks in advance.
    I wouldn’t expect carriers to support BIS after EOL date since moving you to updated carrier data plan gives the carrier 100% data revenue and increases your data consumption.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-11-19 01:27 PM
    Guys and Gals....

Thanks in advance.
    1 depends; BlackBerry said in 2017 that they were "committing to providing you with at least two full years of additional support for BB10 and at least two full years of BlackBerry network access for BBOS devices". While their usual definition of "at least" is "at most" (cf. Priv), they didn't outright confirm that BIS goes away in 2020. That all assumes that your service provider doesn't shutter BIS before then anyway.

For 2, connecting to a server in Waterloo is less of a linchpin of BB10 than it was on BBOS, since it's regular data like on smartphones, so it should work in 2020 unless there's some secret connectivity magic that requires talking to headquarters; we'll find out then.
    07-11-19 01:29 PM
    SAF is down to $7 Million... and they made mention of cost associated with keeping it going that couldn't be scaled down any more. I "think" they were trying to explain why it wasn't as profitable or even profitable. At some point they have to pull the plug....

Passport should get email... but the client won't be getting updates and there are some new standards being rolled out (MTA-STS, SPF, DMARC, DKIM and TLS Reporting). You might be fine for a couple more years, or next year your company or email provider might start enforcing some of these. At which point HUB will be outdated.... might find an app, but I wouldn't count on that.
    07-11-19 02:00 PM
    SAF is down to $7 Million... and they made mention of cost associated with keeping it going that couldn't be scaled down any more. I "think" they were trying to explain why it wasn't as profitable or even profitable. At some point they have to pull the plug....

Passport should get email... but the client won't be getting updates and there are some new standards being rolled out (MTA-STS, SPF, DMARC, DKIM and TLS Reporting). You might be fine for a couple more years, or next year your company or email provider might start enforcing some of these. At which point HUB will be outdated.... might find an app, but I wouldn't count on that.
    Lol wouldn't that be something, to not use Hub on BB10 and resort to some old Android apk of Outlook/Gmail/whatever client
    07-11-19 02:09 PM
    The title of this thread leads to confusion. Should be BlackBerry OS 10 device in 2019? Because BlackBerry OS Android work perfectly in 2019 and are great devices.

I powered up my Passport SE...and yes looks good...but tech power wise it's totally outdated. Which impacts daily "basic" usage. Very slow! But this is understandable considering basically 5 years old.

Definitely the only SOLID BlackBerry devices are current ones powered by Android.
    07-11-19 02:12 PM
    Lol wouldn't that be something, to not use Hub on BB10 and resort to some old Android apk of Outlook/Gmail/whatever client
    It would have to be a new Android APK / Client - to work with the new standards....

Do the current Outlook or Gmail apps work on BB10? Or just older variants?

Too be honest I expect compatibility with less secure clients will be allowed for a long time.... so I doubt email is going to stop working on BB10.
    07-11-19 02:21 PM
    The title of this thread leads to confusion. Should be BlackBerry OS 10 device in 2019? Because BlackBerry OS Android work perfectly in 2019 and are great devices.

I powered up my Passport SE...and yes looks good...but tech power wise it's totally outdated. Which impacts daily "basic" usage. Very slow! But this is understandable considering basically 5 years old.

Definitely the only SOLID BlackBerry devices are current ones powered by Android.
    The Passport (and other BB10 devices) sit in an awkward spot between smartphone and feature phone.
    I guess they make for a good "social media detox" phones since they don't deprive the user of every feature, but they can still use essential communication platforms such as WhatsApp (for now) and FB Messenger, and are really good for e-mail, which are all things that dumb phones can't dream of doing.
    07-11-19 02:22 PM
    The Passport (and other BB10 devices) sit in an awkward spot between smartphone and feature phone.
    I guess they make for a good "social media detox" phones since they don't deprive the user of every feature, but they can still use essential communication platforms such as WhatsApp (for now) and FB Messenger, and are really good for e-mail, which are all things that dumb phones can't dream of doing.
    One reason KaiOS is growing so fast... it bridges the gap in a way that allows basic hardware to be used. They have already sold more units than BlackBerry did with BBOS and BB10 combined....
    07-11-19 02:31 PM
    Activated 6 emails accounts , whatsapp, ig and facebook on my Passport SE. Result..battery drain, heat, slow...it's like it was trying to tell..hey Bud ..I may look good.. But I'm a senior ...vice president old age... can't handle all this!
    the_boon, ppeters914 and Mecca EL like this.
    07-11-19 02:32 PM
    Activated 6 emails accounts , whatsapp, ig and facebook on my Passport SE. Result..battery drain, heat, slow...it's like it was trying to tell..hey Bud ..I may look good.. But I'm a senior ...vice president old age... can't handle all this!
    If the Passport's generous 3400mAh battery can't handle this basic communication usage, then imagine how bad it would be on the other BB10 devices
    07-11-19 02:37 PM
    If the Passport's generous 3400mAh battery can't handle this basic communication usage, then imagine how bad it would be on the other BB10 devices
    Don't think has nothing to do with battery size...but a processor that was designed over 5 years ago. All "apps" have updated since then so it's normal it struggles and a lot.
    07-11-19 02:40 PM
    It's a good think the Z10 had a removable battery.... what is now a silly little attempt at a Power Bank the Z10 Battery charger really didn't work as it wouldn't fully charge your phone (maybe 60%). Battery Swap was required.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-11-19 02:42 PM
    Yeah if you're an IG, Faceplant, WA user, having a BB10 device just doesn't make much sense nowadays. There are a few people left on earth that use none of those and I'm one. My 5 year old Passport with over 900 cycles still lasts me more than a day. Typically 45% left when I go to bed.

Posted via CB10
    Rico4you, m3ach and Mecca EL like this.
    07-11-19 03:45 PM
    Yeah if you're an IG, Faceplant, WA user, having a BB10 device just doesn't make much sense nowadays. There are a few people left on earth that use none of those and I'm one. My 5 year old Passport with over 900 cycles still lasts me more than a day. Typically 45% left when I go to bed.

Posted via CB10
    If you use just stock and native apps and maybe one or two Android apps moderately then sure, I can believe that.

But trying to use it as an Android phone with dozens of apk's, well...
    Rico4you likes this.
    07-11-19 03:55 PM
    Don't think has nothing to do with battery size...but a processor that was designed over 5 years ago. All "apps" have updated since then so it's normal it struggles and a lot.
    I heard even the Classic's processor was dated from over two years prior, which means it was way underpowered even at launch!
    Rico4you likes this.
    07-11-19 03:56 PM
107 123 ...