Hello!

Is it smart to buy a BlackBerry Passport today?

I don't play games. I only use Grab, Uber, Viber, Facebook, and Instagram apps.

Are apk's of these apps updated and reliable?

Thank you!
    incognitoriderz likes this.
    05-23-17 10:54 PM
    100% go ahead if you're not into lot of social network stuff!! It's a great phone with highest built quality and great innovation to keep you in comfort zone of owning a great high end device. Great communicator and fluid OS!!

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley and heidymadia like this.
    05-23-17 11:06 PM
    To get any of the apps you listed to work, you will have to use either old versions, or perform some technical acrobatics.

In good conscience, one cannot recommend a BB10 device in 2017.
    05-23-17 11:09 PM
    I love my Passport, but for anything other than texts/calls/e-mails the phone will not be capable/compatible.
    05-23-17 11:13 PM
    I love my Passport, but for anything other than texts/calls/e-mails the phone will not be capable/compatible.
    And Web browsing, playing music, playing YouTube, reading Ebook, GPS, taking notes...

Posted via CB10
    dmlis likes this.
    05-24-17 07:16 AM
    And Web browsing, playing music, playing YouTube, reading Ebook, GPS, taking notes...

Posted via CB10
    ...listening to podcasts (bPod) and via APKs, listening to TuneIn Radio, reading forums on Tapatalk, watching Netflix....

We have a working and dead apps list for the Bold 9900. It's actually surprising how much you can still do with the device. Someone ought to do the same for BB10. There are a lot of apk's, some of them older, that work very well on the Passport, even without Google Play Services and patched files.

There's an open-source focused list on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/blackberry/...or_blackberry/
    Last edited by Shuswap; 05-25-17 at 07:51 AM.
    dmlis likes this.
    05-24-17 08:22 AM
    There's an open-source focused list on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/blackberry/...or_blackberry/
    Link is broken?
    05-24-17 08:25 AM
    To get any of the apps you listed to work, you will have to use either old versions, or perform some technical acrobatics.

In good conscience, one cannot recommend a BB10 device in 2017.
    In your opinion. Why not say "I" instead of the collective "one"?

Posted via CB10
    05-24-17 09:56 AM
    In your opinion. Why not say "I" instead of the collective "one"?

Posted via CB10
    He lists 5 apps that are important to him (and where he specifically demands reliability and being up to date) - none of which function without workarounds on BB10. No one should be reckless enough to recommend BB10 under these circumstances.
    Last edited by conite; 05-24-17 at 10:51 AM.
    Troy Tiscareno and nglfmark like this.
    05-24-17 10:08 AM
    playing YouTube
    Until YouTube transitions over to AV1, which will start happening in about 6 to 9 months.
    05-24-17 10:31 AM
    Link is broken?
    Probably fat fingered the paste button, split the link in half and it works.

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackberry/...or_blackberry/
    brookie229 and rarsen like this.
    05-24-17 10:51 AM
    Hello!

Thank you!
    I would say go ahead and deal with the workarounds to cover all your needs. It's just a superior software and hardware experience that you won't find anywhere else.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-17 11:25 AM
    Great phone, great OS, but I don't think it is a solution if you want a new phone. Passport is my daily driver, but I also have an Android phone as backup.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-17 11:49 AM
    Hello!

Thank you!
    If your idea of fun is workarounds on top of workarounds, sure.

If it's the keyboard you want, wait for the KEYone to see how it works, since there's no voodoo trickery needed to keep the device in sync with the passage of time.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-24-17 11:52 AM
    I just bought one for work and have begun to use it as a primary device. Does all the things you need. Sometimes it requires a little bit of work but I've managed to get everything I use on a daily basis working very reliably.

Posted via CB10
    KemKev and cevag like this.
    05-24-17 11:53 AM
    Great phone, great OS, but I don't think it is a solution if you want a new phone. Passport is my daily driver, but I also have an Android phone as backup.

Posted via CB10
    Put those two phones together and you got either a PRIV or a keyone honestly.
    05-24-17 03:33 PM
    Hello!

Thank you!
    The short answer is No!
    05-24-17 04:52 PM
    The majority of people don't want to spend countless hours figuring out workarounds to make a device work to meet their needs. can it be done? sure. It's just not the best experience around and I loved my Passport.
    05-24-17 05:05 PM
    If the Passport does what u need it to right now than buy it. Don't worry about what it might not do in the future.
    My passport does everything I need it to, that's why I still use it. As soon as you buy something else there will inevitably be something shinier and faster

Sent from my 10 Passort SE
    KemKev likes this.
    05-24-17 05:58 PM
    Not to mention that the browser is also showing its age.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-17 06:15 PM
    I am about as die hard of a BlackBerry 10 fan as anyone but if we are being honest, it's use is getting limited for the vast majority of users.

If the OP is looking for an excellent device for calls, texts, emails, BBM and some MINOR app use, go ahead and get the Passport. Great screen, great keyboard, excellent battery life and a great, unique piece of hardware.

If your looking for everything above and have a strong use for many social media apps and other apps, get the KEyone.

I understand that some of us hardcore BlackBerry 10 users get excited about our devices and the fact that you can still use them for things like web browsing, streaming, podcasts, Youtube etc. You can use another device for the same things, you don't need to buy a Passport for that.

If you can get the Passport and a great deal and can live with the basic functions mentioned above, do it. An excellent device and one that I will continue to use for a long time.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf and mrluky60 like this.
    05-24-17 06:27 PM
    I think my passport will last me longer than my dtek60 or priv.

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    05-24-17 06:42 PM
    I think my passport will last me longer than my dtek60 or priv.

Posted via CB10
    It certainly doesn't get much wear and tear sitting in my drawer.
    Carjackd and PantherBlitz like this.
    05-24-17 06:44 PM
    Hello!

Thank you!
    I use my Silver Passport every day. I also have over 30 Apps on the phone and they work fine. (Special thanks to Cobalt). Social Apps can and can't work, problem is it all depends. Every update can skunk them. Since I don't use (social crap) I tend to like "real friends" over the like crap I don't miss them. If you need them for work, then it will be an issue. All others are fine, and the phone is still bullit proof!!!
    05-24-17 06:51 PM
    It certainly doesn't get much wear and tear sitting in my drawer.
    Send it to me for free! I use dtek60 for tablet and priv for alarm clock

Posted via CB10
    05-24-17 06:56 PM
171 123 ...