I find in most of discussions specifically some anti bb10 statements crop up when something good is told about the os or the hardware related to the products and services whose topics are part of crackberry.

I always notice two trolls in most of the threads who always try spreading negative feel or try condemning bb10 indirectly when there are true good things told about blackberry!!

Posted via CB10
    The_Passporter likes this.
    05-30-17 07:48 PM
    Seem times have changed. It's ok now to be anti BB10 but if your anti Android watch out.

Apparently I'm anti Android according to some.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-17 08:06 PM
    I find in most of discussions specifically some anti bb10 statements crop up when something good is told about the os or the hardware related to the products and services whose topics are part of crackberry.

I always notice two trolls in most of the threads who always try spreading negative feel or try condemning bb10 indirectly when there are true good things told about blackberry!!

Posted via CB10
    This is not about trolling.

This thread is about an honest appraisal of BB10 in 2017. Someone is contemplating spending hard-earned money on a platform that, while fine as-is for some, has reached the end of its development life, and checks about 3 of the 10 smartphone boxes today.
    werkregen likes this.
    05-30-17 08:08 PM
    No, not worth getting in 2017. Only great for emails. Even talking on it is a bit uncomfortable.
    05-30-17 08:16 PM

This thread is about an honest appraisal of BB10 in 2017. Someone is contemplating spending hard-earned money on a platform that, while fine as-is for some, has reached the end of its development life, and checks about 3 of the 10 smartphone boxes today.
    Also to be noted that even thought there are workarounds to be had with BB10 and the Passport, the price is also reflective of that. A used or new Passport can be had for around $200 or less for used compared to $600-$700 or even $1000 for a flagship. If the question has been posed perhaps there is a reason they are asking. I am still enjoying my Passport and I have $800 cash just waiting to be spent on a new phone but hey.......love my Passport in 2017.

Posted via CB10
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    05-30-17 08:21 PM
    I'd say it's a step beyond android elitism or trolling. It's a straight up conversation killer. I hope you guys don't mimic the same attitude in your personal lives

Posted via CB10
    05-30-17 09:09 PM

Honesty is trolling as far as the local Ministry of Truth is concerned.
    05-30-17 09:16 PM

As someone who has been very brutal towards BB10 in the past I can understand the 'Its days are past' sentiment. I would simply say consider this:

1. A brand new Passport can be, had for under $200. While I don't want to downplay how much that may be to some, most considering a new phone would find that cheap.

2. I use a Passport as my daily driver right now. Do I have to make some concessions? Yes, but most are not an issue for me. For example. The Guardian app was abandoned awhile ago so I simply use its mobile site. Now a days most have very function mobile versions. Also, I can't use Google Keep very effectively anymore so for notes I just use Onenote and Evernote. Not a big deal.

3. The overall BB10 look and feel is still very effective and in no way abandoned on a user level. It works as intended. So for those who want a new OS experience or to switch up from a Z10 or Q10 it's great.

4. There are still unique and functional features to BB10 that I love and you can't really get anywhere else. The browser Reader is best in class, the Hub, well, we all know about it. No need to repeat its usefulness, universal search, tineshift, ...small things yes, but they add up.

5. The hardware - Look, if you are just chasing specs and feel inadequate if you have last year's flagship, then look elsewhere and good luck with that. But if you are secure in your man/ladyhood then the Passport is really quite good. It's not ancient! It was BlackBerry's flagship less than 3 years ago don't forget. How many of you are rockin an S6 or iphone 6? That's a 3 year old phone. The Passports quality is top notch, the screen is still top tier, 3GB Ram, fantastic keyboard, ect ect. And don't discount the fact that you can now buy genuine Passport accessories for pennies.

Lastly, it's 200 bucks! What do you have to loose? People speak like it's the last phone you'll every own. No, we all have other phones in the drawer. If it sucks, put it in the drawer and go back to an iphone or Android. Most people are expending too much brain power and time on thinking about it- just buy it!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jefbeard911; 05-30-17 at 09:42 PM.
    05-30-17 09:17 PM
    My last passport I bought was $170USD new unlocked. Ya you can compare it to a $800 pixel or iphone or some other glass slab that will seem outdated in a year but why bother. Passport is unique. You either love it or hate it. At the right price, I think that it is a bargain, even in 2017. but then again, I don't use snapchat. Those that use snapchat, however, won't like it.

Btw, no Google account needed for bb10 file manager app. Open the box and turn on the phone and it's there.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by z10Jobe; 05-30-17 at 09:34 PM.
    palewhiteninja likes this.
    05-30-17 09:21 PM
    I share my thoughts similar to yours in all perspective of owning passport and other bb10 devices.. I am my far the most content person in my view owning this great device... to suffice my need of apps I have a powerful android phone which I use only when needed to save my time on social networking. Love my BlackBerry!!!

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    05-30-17 10:34 PM
    I'd say it's a step beyond android elitism or trolling. It's a straight up conversation killer. I hope you guys don't mimic the same attitude in your personal lives

Posted via CB10
    Very true!!

Posted via CB10
    05-30-17 10:37 PM
    As someone who has been very brutal towards BB10 in the past I can understand the 'Its days are past' sentiment. I would simply say consider this:

1. A brand new Passport can be, had for under $200. While I don't want to downplay how much that may be to some, most considering a new phone would find that cheap.

2. I use a Passport as my daily driver right now. Do I have to make some concessions? Yes, but most are not an issue for me. For example. The Guardian app was abandoned awhile ago so I simply use its mobile site. Now a days most have very function mobile versions. Also, I can't use Google Keep very effectively anymore so for notes I just use Onenote and Evernote. Not a big deal.

3. The overall BB10 look and feel is still very effective and in no way abandoned on a user level. It works as intended. So for those who want a new OS experience or to switch up from a Z10 or Q10 it's great.

4. There are still unique and functional features to BB10 that I love and you can't really get anywhere else. The browser Reader is best in class, the Hub, well, we all know about it. No need to repeat its usefulness, universal search, tineshift, ...small things yes, but they add up.

5. The hardware - Look, if you are just chasing specs and feel inadequate if you have last year's flagship, then look elsewhere and good luck with that. But if you are secure in your man/ladyhood then the Passport is really quite good. It's not ancient! It was BlackBerry's flagship less than 3 years ago don't forget. How many of you are rockin an S6 or iphone 6? That's a 3 year old phone. The Passports quality is top notch, the screen is still top tier, 3GB Ram, fantastic keyboard, ect ect. And don't discount the fact that you can now buy genuine Passport accessories for pennies.

Lastly, it's 200 bucks! What do you have to loose? People speak like it's the last phone you'll every own. No, we all have other phones in the drawer. If it sucks, put it in the drawer and go back to an iphone or Android. Most people are expending too much brain power and time on thinking about it- just buy it!

Posted via CB10
    100% agree with you!

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    05-30-17 10:38 PM
    I will just finish by saying that choosing and enjoying BB10 is one thing, but sticking your neck out and actually recommending it to someone new to BB10 is disingenuous in mid-2017.

I had every BB10 device going, and used them as primary devices for 3 years - including the Passport SE. There is a niche user case for the device (particularly now), and although I would never argue with someone's preference, I want to be straightforward when ASKED for my opinion.
    05-30-17 10:55 PM
    I will just finish by saying that choosing and enjoying BB10 is one thing, but sticking your neck out and actually recommending it to someone new to BB10 is disingenuous in mid-2017.

I had every BB10 device going, and used them as primary devices for 3 years - including the Passport SE. There is a niche user case for the device (particularly now), and although I would never argue with someone's preference, I want to be straightforward when ASKED for my opinion.
    Fair enough.

But I can't see it being disingenuous if you lay out the pros and cons.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    05-30-17 11:08 PM
    I would recommend a Passport to anyone with the caveat that a lot of third party apps simply won't work. Wouldn't be sticking my neck out at all as I use my Passport more than my Android BBs.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-17 11:15 PM
    Not to mention that the browser is also showing its age.

Posted via CB10
    Actually since the last update it works very well.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    05-30-17 11:15 PM
    I just bought a Passport and it works fine but emails fails after about a day and I have to restart it to make emails work again.

Just made a help post for the problem:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post12896941
    05-30-17 11:52 PM
    You know the problem with Passport is inconsistencies with performance of Android apps. Some Android apps literally work like native, for example, the old Viber version surprises me how well it works.

My company uses G Suite, so we use hangouts a lot, forget the fact that unlike Viber getting a notification from Hangouts without the app running is almost a miracle, the app is laggy. Same with Drive, laggy. Surprisingly enough Docs and Sheets work quite well. Using native Drive app is an option but no real time editting of docs then.

I believe, maybe, I am wrong, but something in the way data is transferred makes some newer apps difficult, it honestly doesn't seem to be hardware related performance to me.

Considering the fact my company is on G Suite I would definitely be way better on KeyOne but the Passport for now does the jobs and I hate android. I find the Passport the only phone so far that reading long mails, docs, etc, things I do on a daily basis because of my work to be bearable.

Will move to KeyOne or whatever is next gen with physicial keyboard when my G Suite apps stop working.

Still as someone said noone in good conscience can recommend a Passport you need to know what you are getting yourself into.

PS: I still find BB10 Calendar and Reminder apps the best in class for what a person in business needs. Stuff like Keep, Evernote, OneNote are great but I find their uses to be orientated towards work on a Computer not a Phone. As someone with ADHD /lets not go into the convo if it's a real thing, I don't take meds anyway/ putting reminders for small things like reply to that mail and stuff like that and making sure it's quick and I can easily get a reminder for them is a big deal. iOS reminder app is also one I quite like but severly lacks functionality.

And one last thing I still get emails quicker on my Passport than on my iPhone.
    Posted via CB10
    Zeratul57 and anon(9803228) like this.
    05-31-17 12:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    I love how the new definition of "trolling" has become "disagreeing with my personal beliefs."

What's the point of an open discussion forum if you want everyone to feel the same way you feel? Someone needs to just register www.bb10safespace.com and that way they can ban whomever they feel is hurting their feelings.
    05-31-17 05:44 AM
    Actually since the last update it works very well.
    For me, it won't let me login to several websites and freezes on websites with a lot of embedded graphics, videos, and menus.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-17 06:09 AM
    I love how the new definition of "trolling" has become "disagreeing with my personal beliefs."

What's the point of an open discussion forum if you want everyone to feel the same way you feel? Someone needs to just register www.bb10safespace.com and that way they can ban whomever they feel is hurting their feelings.
    Yes, it is getting a bit out of hand. I don't see the problem in stating that Android has XX number of apps that can do the same thing as one app on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-17 06:10 AM
    How about the map app that comes stock on the phone? Is that no longer serviceable? Seemed ok to me about a month ago when I used it.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-17 06:13 AM
    How about the map app that comes stock on the phone? Is that no longer serviceable? Seemed ok to me about a month ago when I used it.

Posted via CB10
    It works ok. It has not been updated in forever. For me, it takes me on odd routes. Unfortunately, my wife has had to take out her Galaxy and save us with Google Maps more times than I want to admit. But it is still functional for now.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-17 06:39 AM
    It works ok. It has not been updated in forever. For me, it takes me on odd routes. Unfortunately, my wife has had to take out her Galaxy and save us with Google Maps more times than I want to admit. But it is still functional for now.

Posted via CB10
    Actually there are a few options for us. I use NavFree which works great for on and off line use. There is BeeMaps which used the stock maps for the turn by turn end of it. If you choose you could also install Google Maps which works quite nice. I'm using Google Maps 8.4.1.
    Still use the stock maps without issue also. I like to test and use them all to see which is better and they all have their perks.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-17 06:58 AM
    Actually there are a few options for us. I use NavFree which works great for on and off line use. There is BeeMaps which used the stock maps for the turn by turn end of it. If you choose you could also install Google Maps which works quite nice. I'm using Google Maps 8.4.1.
    Still use the stock maps without issue also. I like to test and use them all to see which is better and they all have their perks.

Posted via CB10
    I have tried several of them. Two took me into a temporary dead end caused by construction. My wife's phone did not and knew how to navigate around it. Updates can really be key. I have given up on workarounds.

Posted via CB10
    tfitzpat03 likes this.
    05-31-17 07:05 AM
171 ... 23456 ...