Has anyone here tried using Miracast with their BB10 device? Although I appreciate the ability to share the screen wirelessly there seems to be a bit of a lag.

This has been noticed while gaming (I will test video next). I have also read this is a concern doing presentations.

As a business productivity tool this is a concern. I like the ability to hard wire a mouse to my Passport (and Z30) via USB OTG, with the single port for the Passport it doesn't appear possible to use USB and video out at the same time without using bluetooth.

My hope is the second iteration of the Passport, and future BB10 phones, will have dual Slimports allowing the use of both USB and video out at the same time.

Other than this I have to admit I am loving the new dual port and the location, center bottom, on the phone.

1. Does anyone know if dual Slimports would cause conflicts in the OS in terms of recognizing connected devices?

2. If you had 2 ports where would you have them placed?

My initial thoughts is to have both at the bottom off- centered although I do like speaker placement. I think I would prefer the one port stay in the same location and the second port on the right side (in the middle) below the volume rockers.

I have had issue in the past with USB OTG wires connected to the USB port on Z30 covering the hdmi out port. Having them on separate sides would minimize this concern. I have since found cords that don't interfere with each other, but had to learn the hard way.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 09:34 AM
    Why not just get a Slimport adapter with an extra USB IN? I am sure something like that exists, but am not sure if it will work the way you want it.
    diegonei likes this.
    10-15-14 09:45 AM
    MrGlenn I have tried looking into this and from what I read the hdmi out and USB use the same pins and can not be used at the same time, it is a one or the other option.

If anyone knows a way to use both from the same port I would love to hear it.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 09:49 AM
    Why not just get a Slimport adapter with an extra USB IN? I am sure something like that exists, but am not sure if it will work the way you want it.
    Slimport doesn't support simultaneous video and USB connection (other than to provide power to the mobile device). I think the latest MHL ports do, however.

As for the OP. Why would they add two slimports? Might as well just go back to having a separate micro USB and micro HDMI ports... lol

Posted via CB10
    FrankIAm likes this.
    10-15-14 09:51 AM
    Miracast on Passport works great for video and should be fine for presentations too. The lag really only affects gaming.

Slimport is not great for gaming either because it requires a wired connection to the device. You would be better off getting a separate device altogether for gaming, like Fire TV or one of the Android ones.

Peevishlicious Crew: Infraction Appeals Advocate
    10-15-14 09:52 AM
    Currently have good success with the Startech - WIFI2HDMC device.
    I was testing the Passport yesterday with no issues displaying but did not try video. Will try and update later as to my experience.
    No issues with my Z30, can play movies saved on my SD without issue.
    10-15-14 09:53 AM
    I use miracast on my q10 to watch videos and it works pretty good. I get some occasional lag, but over works very well.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 10:28 AM
    I use Miracast several times pr week to do presentations - and have never had any issues.

No- I don't use it for gaming! If I had the need for a high performing gaming device, then I would have gotten one.

Note that some apps does come with Miracast support - allowing them to use dual screen output (one for the phone and a second on the monitor) and some of these apps does a good job in showing video on Miracast. So don't use screen mirror for videos, get a video app with Miracast support, or use HDMI output
    10-15-14 10:55 AM
    Can you pair a blutooth mouse with your phone?

Posted on my Passport
    10-15-14 11:22 AM
    I've had quite a bit of lag on miracast for the Z30 but I am pretty sure it had to do with a sub-par wi-fi signal. If I use it for sharing photos or presentations it worked great. Any type of video I always used HDMI though.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 11:34 AM
    Can you pair a blutooth mouse with your phone?

Posted on my Passport
    Yes, and keyboards, game controllers, etc.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by WGn199; 10-15-14 at 07:34 PM.
    10-15-14 07:14 PM
    Slimport doesn't support simultaneous video and USB connection (other than to provide power to the mobile device). I think the latest MHL ports do, however.

As for the OP. Why would they add two slimports? Might as well just go back to having a separate micro USB and micro HDMI ports... lol

Posted via CB10
    From my understanding Slimport has more output options when compared to HDMI.

It uses the VESA standard instead of HDMI so in addition to the HDMI output it supports VGA, DVI and DisplayPort.

I am guessing this means you would not require a converter just a Slimport adapter to use these outputs.

http://blog.clove.co.uk/2013/11/07/m...he-difference/

EDIT: if the above is accurate and people are moving to this standard this could help future-proof the device.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 07:27 PM
    From my understanding Slimport has more output options when compared to HDMI.

It uses the VESA standard instead of HDMI so in addition to the HDMI output it supports VGA, DVI and DisplayPort.

I am guessing this means you would not require a converter just a Slimport adapter to use these outputs.

http://blog.clove.co.uk/2013/11/07/m...he-difference/

EDIT: if the above is accurate and people are moving to this standard this could help future-proof the device.

Posted via CB10
    Definitely Slimport is much more flexible than micro hdmi for video output options (since it's essentially a display port output). But, there is currently a limitation with regards to USB data. A slimport and micro-usb would be nice, but at that point you might as well do a micro-display port and micro usb combination.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 08:10 PM
    If you can pair a mouse, isn't that a solution to your concern? There are some really portable mice nowadays.

Posted on my Passport
    10-15-14 08:15 PM
    If you can pair a mouse, isn't that a solution to your concern? There are some really portable mice nowadays.

Posted on my Passport
    Yes it is a solution but not the one I am looking for. For example if I want to use an Xbox controller for gaming it has to be hard wired. To do this the only option (on the Passport) for video display is wireless and Miracast has lag that is significant enough to affect performance. Although there is no lag on actual Passport screen.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 08:35 PM
    Yes it is a solution but not the one I am looking for. For example if I want to use an Xbox controller for gaming it has to be hard wired. To do this the only option (on the Passport) for video display is wireless and Miracast has lag that is significant enough to affect performance. Although there is no lag on actual Passport screen.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, this is definitely a drawback of the current Slimport limitation. Also, you'll recall some videos of a guy demoing the Z30 hooked up to a dumb monitor (no miracast), a USB mouse, keyboard and swapping USB thumb drives. That's no longer possible with the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 09:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    The Steel series Free bluetooth controller works fine on BB10 devices
    10-15-14 10:03 PM
    The Steel series Free bluetooth controller works fine on BB10 devices
    Yes and so does the Wii controller among others. My concern is being limited to bluetooth devices. I prefer to be hard wired, especially for video. On the Z30 I can have the monitor, mouse, keyboard and controller all hard wired at once.

Limiting the port to USB host OR video is limiting. I would prefer have a dedicated port for each, Slimports or not.

With that being said I love the new location for the port on the PP.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 10:09 PM
    Yeah, this is definitely a drawback of the current Slimport limitation. Also, you'll recall some videos of a guy demoing the Z30 hooked up to a dumb monitor (no miracast), a USB mouse, keyboard and swapping USB thumb drives. That's no longer possible with the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    We are still able to plug in multiple USB devices, but that means we can't use a "quote" dumb monitor with the new layout, I agree.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 10:11 PM