Why in the f'in hell do you want 4k? That's 640 ppi, I bet your epenis would be a mile longer but other than that I can't even express how useless it is. Octo core cpu is also useless unless you run like 8-16 apps at any given time, or you have mobile apps that can utilise that many cores (probably other than a few games, none). A quad core with better performance/clock ratio is a lot more useful for individual apps (which are more common on a phone than running 30 apps at the same time)

Edit: even android flagships won't have 4k in the next few years. Not even desktop pcs can handle 4k games and my s4 even had troubles running gta at full hd (s3 had no troubles at 720p so the hardware of the s4 clearly wasn't in pair with the screen). The screens are evolving much more quickly than cpu/gpu, unless brands will push out phones that can't even handle the display, there won't be 4k any time soon. Also if you look at how screen resolution is changing over time you can see its slowing down. 720p to 1080p it was 2.25, 1080p to 1440p (uhd) it's 1.7. While gpus haven't evolved much since the 720p days

Edit2: here's a chart directly from arm:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5077/a...r-than-mali400

By 2016 mobile gpus will barely be 1.25 times faster and 4k displays are 4 times the resolution of full hd...
    If you put it in that way, my idea does sound pretty stupid... but the direction is still valid. BlackBerry has to keep up on specs, otherwise they fall behind like a few years ago.

Passport has better processor than Z30, which made such a big difference in Android app experience. The screen is also so much better. That's not just number game, but real experience change that triggers upgrades.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1151
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    11-17-14 12:48 PM
    I keep seeing the calls for swappable battery. This notion should be null and void when the device lasts longer than 24hrs.
    BlackBerry - Accept no substitute. Period!
    I like having a removable battery for replacement needs. Maybe my battery goes bad after a few months. Maybe I keep the phone for at least 2 years and the battery life has gotten worse since new and I can just refresh it by getting a new one. Just look at the BB users coming from Bolds and such. They have had their phone for well past the average life expectancy of a phone battery.

passport 2 to be smaller for one handed use you heard it here first
    If someone wants a small phone, get a small phone. If you want a 1 handed phone, get one that's capable of that. What do you like about the passport that you want in a smaller form? Ask for that on the classic if possible.
    11-17-14 12:51 PM
    Given that they are making fewer up front, how about make to order (within some design parameters) since many have to wait anyway.

You want a blue case? You want a 128GB HDD, you want extra RAM? no problem! You want the upgrade to translucent programmable keys because you often switch to a Spanish or a Chinese keyboard? We can do that too.. Your order will be built specifically for you! how cool would that be? Obviously there would have to be some limitations but this could be a new way of buying a phone. (kind of like buying a Dell computer these days)
    11-17-14 12:57 PM
    Given that they are making fewer up front, how about make to order (within some design parameters) since many have to wait anyway.

You want a blue case? You want a 128GB HDD, you want extra RAM? no problem! You want the upgrade to translucent programmable keys because you often switch to a Spanish or a Chinese keyboard? We can do that too.. Your order will be built specifically for you! how cool would that be? Obviously there would have to be some limitations but this could be a new way of buying a phone. (kind of like buying a Dell computer these days)
    It would make the phone way too expensive, while I'm sure they would be able to sell a few, im not sure if it would make up for the lost orders due to the price. Also, it would further fragment BlackBerry devices and less customers would mean even less app support

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    11-17-14 01:05 PM
    I like having a removable battery for replacement needs. Maybe my battery goes bad after a few months. Maybe I keep the phone for at least 2 years and the battery life has gotten worse since new and I can just refresh it by getting a new one. Just look at the BB users coming from Bolds and such. They have had their phone for well past the average life expectancy of a phone battery.

If someone wants a small phone, get a small phone. If you want a 1 handed phone, get one that's capable of that. What do you like about the passport that you want in a smaller form? Ask for that on the classic if possible.
    sure i will just dial them up and ask for them to arbitrarily make that same sweet shape, 1x1 aspect ratio screen and amazing touch capable keyboard in a smaller form factor. just give me one sec.
    11-17-14 02:05 PM

Although I do agree with the poster below you that it would cost the consumer a lot of money I don't agree that it has to. If internal parts were easier to swap out so that we could customize it ourselves, life with a smartphone would be a lot cooler.

Think about it:

'Hmm, my hdd is not big enough' orders a BlackBerry 64gb hdd online.
    'wooot my hdd is here!' removes the back door of the device, removed the battery and switches out the hdd that sits beneath it. Restores from backup on blackberry link. Voila!
    'woot my RAM is here! Pops open the back, leaves the battery where it is, opens a little tray next to the battery compartment, or slides out the old RAM and throws in a new 4gb or 8gb chip (like microsd)

Hopefully this type of thing comes soon. It allows for complete customization of your device.

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    11-17-14 02:10 PM
    sure i will just dial them up and ask for them to arbitrarily make that same sweet shape, 1x1 aspect ratio screen and amazing touch capable keyboard in a smaller form factor. just give me one sec.
    Aren't pretty much all keyboard BB square displays? nothing new there. You just want a 4". That happens to fall smack in between classic and passport. Sorry pick too small or too big. Otherwise you are correct and need to ask very nicely for a custom sized bb like porsche does.
    11-17-14 02:13 PM
    Although I do agree with the poster below you that it would cost the consumer a lot of money I don't agree that it has to. If internal parts were easier to swap out so that we could customize it ourselves, life with a smartphone would be a lot cooler.

Think about it:

'wooot my hdd is here!' removes the back door of the device, removed the battery and switches out the hdd that sits beneath it. Restores from backup on blackberry link. Voila!
    'woot my RAM is here! Pops open the back, leaves the battery where it is, opens a little tray next to the battery compartment, or slides out the old RAM and throws in a new 4gb or 8gb chip (like microsd)

Hopefully this type of thing comes soon. It allows for complete customization of your device.

It's really not that simple. Being modular would cause the phone to be bigger.

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    11-17-14 02:18 PM

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    I dont think its that easy either.
    Google?s Project Ara pushes ahead with new modular smartphone prototype | ExtremeTech
    11-17-14 03:29 PM

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    Ugh I know but it's just a thought, maybe somehow they could figure a way to do it.

11-17-14 03:40 PM
    An all touch device that has an optional 4 row keyboard that is detachable on the bottom of the device, when it is detached the device reverts to full touch typing.
    A device with 2 added programmable buttons.... one on each side so that I can program keys strokes like tab / alt etc.
    11-17-14 03:49 PM
    Same height of the current Passport, with original Keyboard format (4rows) and a 4inch screen instead of 4.5!

So same height, less wide, original keyboard! TOP

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 03:56 PM
    Aren't pretty much all keyboard BB square displays? nothing new there. You just want a 4". That happens to fall smack in between classic and passport. Sorry pick too small or too big. Otherwise you are correct and need to ask very nicely for a custom sized bb like porsche does.
    given the difference in screen size between bold 9900 to q10 to classic 4" seems like a logical next step.

and also classic doesnt have that touch sensitive keyboard
    11-17-14 03:59 PM
    Personally I'm in line with others mentioning:

1440x1440 resolution on a 4" screen
    4 row keyboard - OR 3 rows with physical keyboard backlight showing the alternative functions with ALT key in hardware to step through them!
    (I prefer the latter implementation as that is what I original thought of the passport keyboard when it was first leaked).

More importantly ....

I'd like to see more of the EXISTING applications get FULL UI changes to take advantage of the wide screen, the core OS to implement flexibility and adaptability via simplistic API's to insert into existing app code for them to be ... alive ... in respect to the screen resolution.

I'd like to see more corporate partnerships using BES12, Passport and NOC to implement NEW CORPORATE and Consumer applications that REALLY take the potential of the Passport (a real PC replacement) into the next step ... no more faking or feinting a PC replacement ... yet actually DOING it ... less work arounds!
    11-17-14 06:06 PM
    Same height of the current Passport, with original Keyboard format (4rows) and a 4inch screen instead of 4.5!

So same height, less wide, original keyboard! TOP

Posted via CB10
    That would not be the same size as a regular passport anymore. Might as well call it a bold or something like that.
    power5 likes this.
    11-17-14 06:09 PM
    I luv my passport but the big glass does scare me. lol. Make the glass shatter proof if possible. Like that glass they use on the iphone 6. Seen an iphone 6 drop test. Phone lands glass first on the ground and no shatter. Daaaaaaaaamn!
    Well you're in luck since the Passport rocks the same Gorilla Glass 3 that is used in the iPhone 6 & 6+

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    11-17-14 06:29 PM

Think about it:

I've been following the modular projects and I continue to believe that this is one of those ideas that sounds immensely cool in concept, but once it hits reality it won't be quite so attractive.

Why? Because packaging components to make them end-user swappable makes them larger and heavier. Some of that is for the sake of protecting delicate electronics, and some of it is for the sake of adding connecting hardware. If you make a dozen different components interchangeable, that might add 30-40 grams to the weight, and 3-4mm to the thickness. On top of that, a factory is now producing a dozen different pieces instead of one. That might sound trivial but honestly, it adds to logistic complexity.

Beyond all that, the manufacturer now carries a dozen different retail SKUs for each phone where before it might have been two. Again, adds to logistic complexity. And cost, which will inevitably be passed on to the consumer.

You wind up with a handset that's larger, heavier, more costly, and might actually be more prone to breakage. Even theft is an issue with a modular phone; as it stands now, new phones can be centrally disabled, and this is actually succeeding in reducing theft rates. With a modular phone, though, a thief just pitches the "central core" units in the trash so that GPS doesn't track him, and he sells the modules he's stripped off on eBay.
    11-17-14 07:09 PM
    I've been following the modular projects and I continue to believe that this is one of those ideas that sounds immensely cool in concept, but once it hits reality it won't be quite so attractive.

Why? Because packaging components to make them end-user swappable makes them larger and heavier. Some of that is for the sake of protecting delicate electronics, and some of it is for the sake of adding connecting hardware. If you make a dozen different components interchangeable, that might add 30-40 grams to the weight, and 3-4mm to the thickness. On top of that, a factory is now producing a dozen different pieces instead of one. That might sound trivial but honestly, it adds to logistic complexity.

Beyond all that, the manufacturer now carries a dozen different retail SKUs for each phone where before it might have been two. Again, adds to logistic complexity. And cost, which will inevitably be passed on to the consumer.

You wind up with a handset that's larger, heavier, more costly, and might actually be more prone to breakage. Even theft is an issue with a modular phone; as it stands now, new phones can be centrally disabled, and this is actually succeeding in reducing theft rates. With a modular phone, though, a thief just pitches the "central core" units in the trash so that GPS doesn't track him, and he sells the modules he's stripped off on eBay.
    I know -__-. You make several points in each section of your post. You're right. It is better in concept. Just a pipe dream I guess. Based on your knowledge of all this, let me take advantage of your attention for a moment with this question...

Do you think we could ever see a manufacture produce smartphones as they are now for the general public, but also provide customers who are technologically educated to pay a little extra if they want a faster cpu/gpu, more RAM or storage space? I would hope so. I would definitely have ordered my Passport with 64gb if I had the option. I would have left the RAM alone but ask them to bump up the CPU.

The Amazing Passport is charging, Posted via Q10
    11-17-14 07:41 PM
    Passport II wish list:

A refined physical design. While I love the look of the straight edges of the current Passport, it can be a little difficult to remove from my pocket at times. Having even slightly bevelled or rounded edges may assist.

An upgraded rear-facing camera. Think Exmor RS IMX230. This would make the Passport II cutting edge.

Possibly an OLED screen. I would love to see a 1440x1440 OLED design with pure black, but also concerned about daylight visibility. On the fence with this one.

A 3800mAH battery (10% increase).

A newer generation processor with even more speed (when needed) and less power consumption (increasing battery life)

USB 3.0 connectivity.

Paywave capability. I realise NFC is built into existing devices, but it would be great if BlackBerry could work with payment partners to bring a solution similar to Apple Pay.

Upgraded speakers. While the Passport is pretty good, I feel it�s not quite as good as the Z30 in terms of loudspeaker volume and clarity. Would love even crisper, clearer sound.
    11-17-14 07:45 PM
    A halogram port....
    11-17-14 09:54 PM
    Maybe a better camera, waterproof, a better processor, better ppi display, maybe ensure that all android apps run as smooth as android and to run these android app it doesn't consume so much battery!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 07:25 AM
    Don't ever go thinner! A thin device will never be tough and long lasting unless it is made from quality and high strength materials. What I would like to see is improved battery life. Make it last even longer, higher capacity, faster charging time, cut-off after full charge.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 07:52 AM
    I know -__-. You make several points in each section of your post. You're right. It is better in concept. Just a pipe dream I guess. Based on your knowledge of all this, let me take advantage of your attention for a moment with this question...

Do you think we could ever see a manufacture produce smartphones as they are now for the general public, but also provide customers who are technologically educated to pay a little extra if they want a faster cpu/gpu, more RAM or storage space? I would hope so. I would definitely have ordered my Passport with 64gb if I had the option. I would have left the RAM alone but ask them to bump up the CPU.

The Amazing Passport is charging, Posted via Q10
    They already have this basically.

Pick the phone you want that closely matches your specs. This list is just from Samsung ATT phone page.
    Note 4
    Note edge
    Alpha
    S5
    S4 Mini
    Mega 2
    Avant
    Express
    Ruby 4

All manufacturers have differing levels of components in their product line up. Even Apple does now. Though the hardware inside is all the same with the exception to battery size and OIS on the 6+ camera. They are one of the only manufacturers that give you storage options though. BB and android mostly just allow you to have an SD card. Which is more than enough for expandability. I have all my data on my 64gb card and my 32gb internal storage only holds apps. I have 4gb left. May have to start deleting unused apps.

BB even has different levels. Of course if you want only high end components for a few of the anchor points of the hardware and want to skimp on other parts, you will not get that.
    11-18-14 07:59 AM
    They already have this basically.

Pick the phone you want that closely matches your specs. This list is just from Samsung ATT phone page.
    Note 4
    Note edge
    Alpha
    S5
    S4 Mini
    Mega 2
    Avant
    Express
    Ruby 4

All manufacturers have differing levels of components in their product line up. Even Apple does now. Though the hardware inside is all the same with the exception to battery size and OIS on the 6+ camera. They are one of the only manufacturers that give you storage options though. BB and android mostly just allow you to have an SD card. Which is more than enough for expandability. I have all my data on my 64gb card and my 32gb internal storage only holds apps. I have 4gb left. May have to start deleting unused apps.

BB even has different levels. Of course if you want only high end components for a few of the anchor points of the hardware and want to skimp on other parts, you will not get that.
    Yes, they do 'basically' have this option BUT, what if you want the passport. Let's say we're in a time where they do provide customers with customization options. So you want the passport, but you don't need much out of it. You want the $400 version, so you buy the passport with the lowest grade cpu that they provide, less ram, and maybe 16gb storage space. But John Doe wants a passport as well. They want a top of the line version that costs $699. John Doe buys the passport with the the fastest processor available for the device, 6gb of RAM and 128gb of storage. Now, you both have the same phone, with the same OS, same features, but the internals are different. They provide a different experience between you and John Doe. Because you both have different necessities and your demands differ, it's ok. You both enjoy your devices.

11-18-14 08:22 AM
    You assume that a low end processor and ram can do all the same features that the high end spec can. What if it cant? Now there is an OS that needs to be dumbed down. This then makes the high end version worthless since it's just wasting power. Only way it works is with different os versions. Then you get complaints from users with a passport that can't run passport apps......
    11-18-14 08:49 AM
104 ... 2345