So I've just gotten myself a Passport and really enjoying it so far. Definitely my favorite BB10 device to date.

However I've come across some news reports that say the second generation Passport 2 is being planned for the MWC next February, quoting Chen.

Is this a substantial report, or an unlikely speculation? I know I'd be pretty bummed if it were to come true.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    10-16-14 12:33 AM
    Got any links or references in regards to the quotes?

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 12:35 AM
    Nah man they'll probably tease some new device in Feb like most companies will but you won't see a release till many months after.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 12:36 AM
    Got any links or references in regards to the quotes?

Posted via CB10
    Can't post links, so I'll paste the quote:
    BlackBerry CEO John Chen spoke to media after the company’s quarterly results on Friday. He claimed the company was likely to bring a range of new products to the annual Mobile World Congress expo in Barcelona in 2015.

Chen said, "Given the receptivity for the Passport, I know that we'll have at least another generation of that device. I also carry very high hopes for the Classic, and I've spoken with a lot of people that want it ... so I think we will have another iteration on that, and there will be a new concept device too."
    10-16-14 12:46 AM
    Can't post links, so I'll paste the quote:
    That doesn't say that at all. I believe there will be a second generation, but not that soon. I'm thinking that will be the next all touch BB10 device.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 01:39 AM
    Yup, February is way too soon for a new product to be made, marketed, leaked and then launched.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 01:41 AM
    More like showing slider and my money is ready for the passport 2
    10-16-14 02:02 AM
    Can't wait what Blackberry have for us in store for next year concept/unconventional device.
    10-16-14 03:26 AM
    That doesn't say that at all. I believe there will be a second generation, but not that soon. I'm thinking that will be the next all touch BB10 device.
    The title of the article says it very explicitly, in capital letters.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile...alongside-raft

10-16-14 04:16 AM
    The title of the article says it very explicitly, in capital letters.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile...alongside-raft

The title says it, but the quote from Chen doesn't support the title. Either they're not including the complete quote, or they're extrapolating a vague comment.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 07:30 AM
    The title says it, but the quote from Chen doesn't support the title. Either they're not including the complete quote, or they're extrapolating a vague comment.

Posted via CB10
    The comment specifically says that there will new NEW CONCEPT DEVICE, which would not be the Passport 2. Now he does say he wants to do a second gen Passport, he would NOT do it within months of the first device launch.

If you look up the latest BlackBerry patents, assuming it's following those, the new phone is going to be a rebirth of the Torch design style with a sliding keyboard. It could come in many dimensions, but the likely one would be more similar to Passport, except maybe the entire current size would be touchscreen, with the keyboard sliding out the bottom.

It's all speculation now though.

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    10-16-14 09:22 AM
    Seriously, AT&T probably won't have even launched the Passport by MWC, so doubtful BlackBerry would announce a 2 before any US carrier even sells the first one.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-16-14 08:34 PM
    Unlikely speculation, based on misinterpreting Chen's comment.

Just got my Passport today. Amazing device.

Of course they should do a Passport 2.

But expect a year for that at least.

Going out of the box seems to work for them. Looking forward to the next "weird" phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 08:50 PM
    The post-release survey in the Beta Zone today asked about interest in a four row keyboard device that retains the touch-enabled features of the current Passport. I'm hoping to see that as an option on the next generation device.
    yellowroom likes this.
    10-16-14 09:03 PM