Had a hectic day last week and was in the street when I received a doc I had to act super quickly on and then a BIF business use FAIL by my Passport...
    Passport on 10.3 and still no .rtf support-img_20150206_122454.png

I read somewhere a solution to download DocsToGo from the Play store, haven't tried but sounds crazy that BlackBerry and Passport perform below par on something that basic...after it ain't a psd or dwg file I'm trying to view...

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 02:43 PM
    Rtf is an old Microsoft format, the world has progressed since then.

You find many online viewers for rtf, that can be accessed directly from your browser

One of them Free Online RTF Viewer

So just save your attachment, and goto the website, and it will convert the rtf to Html for you, and allow for either download, or just view
    OceanBerry likes this.
    02-08-15 03:48 PM
    Old format or not, this should not happen. I don't use Docs To Go because of many limitations like this. It's actually very incapable on BlackBerry 10. I have OfficeSuite Pro (Android) and Microsoft Office for "getting work done". D2G desperately needs a major overhaul on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    jope28 and redcubicle like this.
    02-08-15 05:26 PM
    Do you have the android Microsoft Office? I've read that it works on 10.3.1. I haven't tried it but I'm wondering if it works with .rtf.
    Afaik there are no mobile apps that can use .rtf files unless android office can. My company still uses them too but not many places use them. It's a very old format from the 90's.
    02-08-15 11:25 PM
    Old format or not, this should not happen. I don't use Docs To Go because of many limitations like this. It's actually very incapable on BlackBerry 10. I have OfficeSuite Pro (Android) and Microsoft Office for "getting work done". D2G desperately needs a major overhaul on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    Even Microsoft's Office Mobile for Android does NOT support RTF files!

DocsToGo is superb for Editing MS Office type of files. Perhaps the best app there is to embed and preserve special formatting in existing documents that the mobile clients are unable to deal with.

That way, when someone send you a .. word .Docx and you open + Edit on your phone - When you save - no info is lost - and when the creator gets the document back - none of the original formattings are lost.

RTF was created by Microsoft in 1987 to allow for cross platform editing, - a feature that was later replaced by their .Docx standard which supersedes the RTF in all possible ways.

Anyway - when even the creator of the RTF format does not support it on mobile devices, why should anyone else?

You "can" be flexible when your clients accidently forces a RTF on you - by using the freely available online services - directly from your device ,... Or you can nicely tell them to send the files to you in a supported format!

PS: If you really really have to quickly look at text inside RTF file, simply rename it to .txt and open it from the File manager in your Passport. You will see all RTF formatting codes , - but all text is also in clear, unscrambled - so you can read it.
    Last edited by Morten; 02-09-15 at 12:00 AM.
    sirius27 likes this.
    02-08-15 11:45 PM
    I wish Microsoft would kill support for rtf, then companies would be forced to stop using them.
    I just searched in BlackBerry World for rtf and the Sign Easy app says it supports signing rtf, so evidently it can open them.
    wtj likes this.
    02-08-15 11:54 PM
    Thanks for the tips everyone!
    Guess I just need some backup solution for the rare event that somebody will hit me with an .rtf!

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 07:04 AM
    What about csv files? Can Docs to Go read these yet?

Posted via CB10 on my Passport
    Korla_Plankton likes this.
    02-09-15 07:18 AM
    Uploading client docs to a server may not be permissible under all circumstances.

My big issue with DocsToGo is the loss of support for displaying footnotes and reviewer comments, coming from the BB7 version. It's painful because I get marked up docs from time to time.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    02-09-15 08:28 AM
    I totally agree that certain docs should never be sent to a cloud you have no control over... Then it would be better to simply Rename the file to .txt - and open it to get the text - and respond in a mail..

With 10.3.1 you can always get Microsoft Office Mobile and use their own apps for handling regular MS Office type of doc's - but a mobile client will Always be restricted in what it can do.

If I don't remember to wrong, Microsoft's Office Mobile for Android, does not allow to browse local file system on the phone, but rely on the connected OneDrive account. I might be wrong - and the version I looked at might not be the latest one.

One of the BIG issues with most mobile apps capable of opening a Word document, is that they just filter out the codes the mobile client cannot handle, - so if someone creates a full document on a Desktop version, You open it and Edit on your device, as soon as you hit that Save button, all the "unknown" formattings are lost.

But NOT with Docs2Go - which is supposed to preserve all codes, regardless if it can handle them or not on the mobile client. So No data is lost.

The best solution, would be to not use RTF or CSV, but instead use DOCx and XLSx

There are NO existing app solution on any mobile platform, that can do all the same things on the mobile version as the Desktop version. Sorry
    James Blight likes this.
    02-09-15 08:40 AM
    That's correct about not being able to upload some documents to the cloud. I deal with HIPAA protected information docs and cannot upload them to One Drive or any cloud service. That might make MS Office Mobile almost useless for me. I guess I will have to stick with my Surface Pro 3 with Office 2013 for those sensitive RTF documents.
    02-09-15 11:30 PM
    Most word processing apps from Amazon Store can open it (WPS and OfficeSuite among others).
    I personally use the File Converter app ( http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59953367 to convert the RTF file on my phone. Recommend that native app.

Attachment 352995
    Attachment 352996

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.680 CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    05-15-15 06:54 PM
    Text Reader by Penza Software is in the Amazon App store. That's what I use to open rtf files.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 07:20 PM
    Most word processing apps from Amazon Store can open it (WPS and OfficeSuite among others).
    I personally use the File Converter app ( http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59953367 to convert the RTF file on my phone. Recommend that native app.

Attachment 352995
    Attachment 352996

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.680 CB10
    Thanks, I will try this one out.
    05-16-15 11:58 AM
    Just change the extension from rtf to txt

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 02:27 PM
    Is anyone able to read RTF files directly from their workspace email?

I have to first forward my workspace email to yahoo, donwload it form there and then it opens fine.
    But that's like drinking water standing on your head.

How to get 'text reader' 'office suite' to open them directly from the work space email?
    06-30-15 04:28 AM
    Try cloudvert. Excellent app for file conversions

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 07:37 AM
    The best solution, would be to not use RTF or CSV, but instead use DOCx and XLSx
    I can understand committing RTF to the dustbin of unnecessary, redundant formats but CSV is widely used and very easy to support. Furthermore, I want to work on them without converting them to a more complicated format like XLSX since converting back to CSV can be a bit dicey.
    06-30-15 03:13 PM
    On legacy bb Devices I could open odt files. Since the playbook... no chance.

モーニング娘。15 ... my BlackBerryZ : Storm9500, Torch9860, Bold9900, Z10, Passport
    06-30-15 04:59 PM
    The standard Mac format is actually .rtf when you create a simple document in TextEdit. You can use FBReader (an e-book reader app) to open and read the file. Actually, when you are sent a .rtf file in an email the attachment will be shown with a question mark, but when you click on the attachment it will automatically be opened by FBReader.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 10:19 PM
    Hi all:

There appears to be some confusion here over this topic. In one sentence:
    Rtf file cannot be opened in work space, whether attached to emails OR saved first to the phone.

Does anyone know how to get rtf files to open in work space?

Cheers,
    Jim
    07-26-15 12:53 AM
    Who is using rtf and why??? I generally avoid this format in favour of txt or doc / docx formats.

 Red Passport on OS 10.3.2.2339 / SR 10.3.2.2226
    07-26-15 02:21 AM
    Hi all:

There appears to be some confusion here over this topic. In one sentence:
    Rtf file cannot be opened in work space, whether attached to emails OR saved first to the phone.

Does anyone know how to get rtf files to open in work space?

Cheers,
    Jim
    Just a guess, but you will probably need a rtf compatible program on the work side in order to open it on the work side. This would have to be a BlackBerry10 program that your BES administrator could put in the work side app world. Whether there is an app they would approve of in the work side is another question.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 06:49 AM
    Just a guess, but you will probably need a rtf compatible program on the work side in order to open it on the work side. This would have to be a BlackBerry10 program that your BES administrator could put in the work side app world. Whether there is an app they would approve of in the work side is another question.

Posted via CB10
    This is a very good point. I have several apps being pushed to me from the bes for this exact reason.

 Red Passport on OS 10.3.2.2339 / SR 10.3.2.2226
    07-26-15 01:27 PM