I'm in the UK right now, attending a conference. I have T-Mobile as my carrier in the US, so I get international data roaming. The conference is at the University of Warwick.

I noticed during the cab ride from Coventry station to the campus that the Passport was having trouble finding and holding a network. No worries, I'll use campus Wi-Fi. But that too barely registers on my Passport. To make things worse, in order to get my Wi-Fi password I have to get a text message, but I can't do that because the Passport can't connect to a cell network.

I brought my OnePlus One with me as a backup, so I swapped the SIM into that. Bingo, I have a network, I get the text, and the campus Wi-Fi appears strong.

Now the Passport is the backup. Oddly, I had a similar experience two years ago, when the conference was at University of Exeter. My Q10 has a devil of a time holding onto the campus Wi-Fi; no one else seemed to have any problem.

I know, cool story bro.
    07-10-15 07:56 AM
    I'm in the UK right now, attending a conference. I have T-Mobile as my carrier in the US, so I get international data roaming. The conference is at the University of Warwick.

I noticed during the cab ride from Coventry station to the campus that the Passport was having trouble finding and holding a network. No worries, I'll use campus Wi-Fi. But that too barely registers on my Passport. To make things worse, in order to get my Wi-Fi password I have to get a text message, but I can't do that because the Passport can't connect to a cell network.

I brought my OnePlus One with me as a backup, so I swapped the SIM into that. Bingo, I have a network, I get the text, and the campus Wi-Fi appears strong.

Now the Passport is the backup. Oddly, I had a similar experience two years ago, when the conference was at University of Exeter. My Q10 has a devil of a time holding onto the campus Wi-Fi; no one else seemed to have any problem.

I know, cool story bro.
    Perhaps the paratek is better on the Z30? I was at a football game on the weekend with my wife and she could barely get 3G and I was getting super solid LTE coverage the whole time. Hers (iphone 6) was so bad she could barely use the internet, let alone log-in and check in to see if the babysitter had gotten our son to sleep successfully.
    07-10-15 08:08 AM
    I have T-Mobile and traveled with my Passport to Germany and Egypt, and had no problems what so ever. The data worked great. I also traveled to UK,Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and Austria. I was excited to see that my Z30 worked great in each of these countries. In the Rural areas there was a weaker signal, but my phone never struggled to keep a signal. You stated you switched out the SIM card, are you hot swapping the SIM, or did you try a hard reset on your phone? If you Hot Swapped the SIM card I would recommend a complete shutdown of the phone then plugging it back in and see if the signal was better. I'm not sure of any international settings or anything. I made no cahnegs to my phones. Good luck
    07-10-15 08:09 AM

I know, cool story bro.
    Hi Ubizmo,

Are you sure this is an aerial issue and not a 'which carrier they are connecting you to' issue, or a WiFi config issue?

I'm not asking the above out of blind fanboy-ism, but because when I had my Q10 it usually had far superior network and carrier connectivity compared to my colleagues non-Q10 phones, eg iPhone, Android, and various very old BBOS devices.(The iPhones would sometimes show reasonable connectivity, eg 3 bars out of 5, but wouldn't get any meaningful throughput, which made me very suspicious about how many bars they show vs reality).

btw - I was never actually sure if my Q10 had the 'paratek' aerial, I just knew that it had good connectivity!

My Passport's network connectivity seems even better that my experiences with my old Q10.

Hope you are enjoying your conference and our current 'near-tropical' weather.....
    07-10-15 08:27 AM
    I did try a hard reset on the Passport before I swapped the SIM out (it took me a while to find something I could use to open the OnePlus SIM tray). I tried manual search for networks and came up with nothing, from inside my room. Outside, it was spotty. The OnePlus just locked onto T-Mobile UK and that's that. It may well not be a Passport antenna issue, but it's certainly disappointing.

As for the Wi-Fi, it works but it's weaker and more prone to drop than the OnePlus.
    07-10-15 10:17 AM
    I have the same problem with wifi and network drop. And that's not when in roaming.
    I think the problem is specific to device, as the other guys using Passport in the company are having no problem at all. That happens in many occasions when we're just sitting across a table with me struggling to get wifi while the other guys are having no problem.
    Perhaps I would learn how to do an autoloader and try it.

Posted from my Passport
    07-11-15 12:38 AM
    Perhaps the paratek is better on the Z30? I was at a football game on the weekend with my wife and she could barely get 3G and I was getting super solid LTE coverage the whole time. Hers (iphone 6) was so bad she could barely use the internet, let alone log-in and check in to see if the babysitter had gotten our son to sleep successfully.
    his was a good laugh!
    07-11-15 04:02 AM
    The 'Paratek Antenna' is a new generation of antenna technology that dynamically tunes reception to give better connectivity in low signal areas. It is designed to give faster data transfers and fewer dropped calls in low signal areas, keeping your mobile phone connected in more places.

And if it is not functioning as it was designed, then there is definitely something wrong with the device itself. Otherwise, if the designed has faulty issue from the very beginning, all devices having and equipped with this so-called Paratek antenna should be having the same issue...

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 04:16 AM
    As already mentioned, despite my hastily chosen title for this thread, it may not be an antenna issue. That's just the first thing I thought of. All I know for sure is that on this campus I'm on the ragged edge of Wi-Fi and network reception on my Passport, but not on my OnePlus. It could be an OS issue.

Back in the US, I've noticed, I've noticed some tendency for my Passport to complain about "limited connectivity" on Wi-Fi, but not enough to be a problem. I don't see that on the OnePlus, but maybe it just doesn't know how to complain, leaving me in blissful ignorance.
    07-11-15 08:25 AM
    As already mentioned, despite my hastily chosen title for this thread, it may not be an antenna issue. That's just the first thing I thought of. All I know for sure is that on this campus I'm on the ragged edge of Wi-Fi and network reception on my Passport, but not on my OnePlus. It could be an OS issue.

Back in the US, I've noticed, I've noticed some tendency for my Passport to complain about "limited connectivity" on Wi-Fi, but not enough to be a problem. I don't see that on the OnePlus, but maybe it just doesn't know how to complain, leaving me in blissful ignorance.
    I drop my phones a lot, which is another good reason to have BlackBerry devices (because they are more solidly built than most other phones).

Usually the drops are only 2-4 feet and onto carpet......
    ....however, a couple of months ago I dropped my Passport c. 6 feet onto marble tiles..... ouch!

The Passport has no visible signs of damage, BUT ever since this 'mega drop', the 'swipe to wake' is far more sensitive (so much so, that I have had to turn off the 'swipe to wake' function, as since the drop, the phone was constantly waking whilst in my pocket)....
    ....therefore I believe that I must have damaged a sensor inside the Passport as a result of the drop.

Do you think you have had a similar issue with your Passport, and that possibly the internal aerial could have been damaged?

I'm not inferring that you are a clumsy butterfingers like me, just asking!
    07-11-15 08:47 AM
    Hmm... well, I've just swapped the SIM back into the Passport for the third or fourth time, and this time the network signal and WiFi are both strong. So I dunno. I'll keep it with me today and see how it holds up.

I don't think I've ever dropped this thing.
    07-12-15 12:59 AM
    Hmm... well, I've just swapped the SIM back into the Passport for the third or fourth time, and this time the network signal and WiFi are both strong. So I dunno. I'll keep it with me today and see how it holds up.

I don't think I've ever dropped this thing.
    Good for you in not being a frequent-phone-dropper! And, I'm pleased you are now getting decent connections with your Passport.

I was talking about roaming and connectivity issues last night with a friend (she also does a lot of international travel) and we both agreed that in the last couple of years our UK-carrier-SIM-phones are much better at quickly connecting to a strong signal when we land in a foreign country (especially when we travel in Europe or N America).....

..... but, surely, this more recent 'speedier strong connection' doesn't have anything to do with why you got a really good connection on your other phone, but not with your Passport, when you are using the same Sim card. Nor does this have anything to do with Wi-Fi connectivity.

We wondered, if the historic issues, were something to do with phone software prioritising different spectrum bands? What do you reckon?

My Passport definitely gets stronger/better connections when roaming when compared to friends' & colleagues' (non-Passport, usually non-BlackBerry) phones when we are connected to the same foreign network - I had always thought this was because of 1) better aerial in the Passport (compared to iPhone etc), & 2) maybe because my UK carrier has a better contract with the foreign carriers (eg no throttling).

[Within the last 6 months my foreign travel has been to central/Western Europe, Egypt, Jordan, UAE & USA/Canada]

Just my two pennorth.... I'd be very interested to hear about other people's experiences who roam with a Passport.
    07-12-15 11:45 AM