Just as a note, the million Z10s was to a single vendor/order. That's why it got reported back in the day.

1 million Passports seems reasonable globally and with how limited the availability is that could equate into actual user sales. I read that BB now reports user sales not supply chain/channel sales now (something they did in the past).

No one at BB will say boo until the next release of the quarterly results unless something truly significant happens like DoD orders 1 million passports for example or all the passports get returned and are found in Bla1ze's basement.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    10-10-14 02:39 PM
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    MikeX74 likes this.
    10-10-14 02:41 PM
    Just as a note, the million Z10s was to a single vendor/order. That's why it got reported back in the day.

1 million Passports seems reasonable globally and with how limited the availability is that could equate into actual user sales. I read that BB now reports user sales not supply chain/channel sales now (something they did in the past).
    You're right. Even Chen mentioned in a recent interview that they only count a device as 'sold' when they "see the PIN fire up".
    10-10-14 02:45 PM
    Called the blackberry store today and the passport is still on preorder/out of stock.

Posted via CB10
    I called today and they had no information at all.
    10-10-14 02:52 PM
    Well my local Telus store told me that they are selling a lot of BlackBerry Passports and people love them and have not had returns like the Z10 they seem very pleased with the sales

Posted via the BlackBerry Passport
    10-10-14 02:59 PM
    I couldn't tell you one way or the other if 1 million is true; I'd never trust the word of a retail rep. But I'm sitting at a bar right now and there is an employee of Aecon group(a grunt who runs a few people) a few seats down and he has a passport. Apparently they are outfitting people in the field with them. So don't forget direct sales to enterprises when wondering how many have been sold.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 03:10 PM
    With its imponent presence and square look, the BlackBerry Passport is definitely the BOSS SMARTPHONE. Period.
    10-10-14 03:11 PM
    I love these people who believe Apple can sell ten million phones in one weekend and don't think BlackBerry can sell two million phones in this quarter.

Posted via CB10
    They sold 2.4 million handsets last quarter. A million Passports is close to 40% of that. That would mean either Z30, Q10, etc. sales tank or there will be an significant spike in this quarter's marketshare. The latter is quite optimistic IMO but possible. I do think it would require a significant number of existing BB users to upgrade.
    Yasch22 and sentimentGX4 like this.
    10-10-14 03:17 PM
    They sold 2.4 million handsets last quarter. A million Passports is close to 40% of that. That would mean either Z30, Q10, etc. sales tank or there will be an significant spike in this quarter's marketshare. The latter is quite optimistic IMO but possible. I do think it would require a significant number of existing BB users to upgrade.
    For what it's worth, and maybe the site mods and admins can shed some light here, I have noticed a significant increase in "newbie" forum questions and "CrackBerry Question" posts. It may not be a million, but there has definitely been some impact somewhere.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 03:30 PM
    I know many people upgrading from 9900s.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 03:32 PM
    Even if I knew, I wouldn't be allowed to tell you would I? if I had told you, I probably wouldn't allow you to live. If I allowed you to live, you probably wouldn't believe the numbers I give you would you? So why ask such a stupid question?

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    Aww be nice....

Crackberry Genius on Verizon 10.3.1.632
    10-10-14 03:36 PM
    Chen said we have 200,000 orders, BB does not sell direct to customers. not even at shopblackberry. So that means POs for 200,000 units to channel fillers and retailers, fulfillment companies ... bb is 2 or steps away from the end user, sometimes more than that.
    10-10-14 03:39 PM
    I would say it's quite up there. But not close to 1M I wouldn't think. Probably 1/3

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    10-10-14 03:45 PM
    Personally, if the Passport does well and gets more positive press, I wouldn't be surprised to see an uptick in sales of the Z10 / Z30 if it can still be purchased anywhere (Sorry, but I don't think there would be an uptick in the Q series sales, because it's the Passport that's got keyboard fans in a tizzy).
    10-10-14 03:48 PM
    Chen said we have 200,000 orders, BB does not sell direct to customers. not even at shopblackberry. So that means POs for 200,000 units to channel fillers and retailers, fulfillment companies ... bb is 2 or steps away from the end user, sometimes more than that.
    I don't think that applied to that 200000 number that was pushed out in the press release and blackberry blog.

Also, going forward they won't count purchase orders as sales, but rather will count when the device PIN is first activated.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 03:50 PM
    someone said one million is not a big deal... i dont really agree considering the number of devices sold last quarter and bbry's current market cap. doesnt scratch iphone's sales but it would be lunacy for me to suggest they should right away
    10-10-14 03:52 PM
    I believe BB said that the 200K units were from Amazon and ShopBlackberry only, not including carrier sales.
    10-10-14 03:54 PM
    Shop assistant announces close to 1 million sales..... Everyone say wow and it's treated as fact.

Sense of reality please.
    10-10-14 03:58 PM
    1 million. Not true. Here are the facts:

Telus has 7.9 million wireless subscribers.

1 million have not bought the Passport. That would be around 1 in 8 Telus subs. Have a look around - they would be everywhere.

Posted via CB10
    vgorous likes this.
    10-10-14 04:00 PM
    OK folks - Let's be realistic and practical here. If Blackberry had sold 500K or 750K or even a million PP into channels by this point - it would be complete corporate malpractice not to have a short press conference or even a press release announcing same. Given that Chen has made clear how many devices he needs to sell to make a profit this year, anything over 500k at this point would send BBRY stock soaring as it would be clear to be making an early profit. With the stock struggling to stay above $9, and not able to hold $10 a share for any length of time in the last 2 years, this type of news would change the perception of BB and the stock immediately. The lack of any announcement speaks loudest.
    10-10-14 04:19 PM
    I'm not sure they even manufactured anything close to a 0.5mil let alone 1mil sold to date.
    10-10-14 04:28 PM
    Shop assistant announces close to 1 million sales..... Everyone say wow and it's treated as fact.

Sense of reality please.
    The "reality" is that many people didn't treat it as fact. Was this just a reaction to the headline?
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    10-10-14 04:28 PM
    1 million. Not true. Here are the facts:

Telus has 7.9 million wireless subscribers.

1 million have not bought the Passport. That would be around 1 in 8 Telus subs. Have a look around - they would be everywhere.
    According to the OP, it says that "blackberry reported to Telus that over 1 million passports were sold in the first week." It doesn't say that Telus sold 1 million.
    10-10-14 04:30 PM
    well as i posted possible 1 million sales wait till they go mainstream .....probalble not till november (got my passport on launch day and i paid for it dearly) by this i mean where i can walk into the mall and see every carrier with passports on demo and on display and most of all accesories..like how about a flipcase for example.

Posted from my passport
    10-10-14 04:36 PM
    OK folks - Let's be realistic and practical here. If Blackberry had sold 500K or 750K or even a million PP into channels by this point - it would be complete corporate malpractice not to have a short press conference or even a press release announcing same. Given that Chen has made clear how many devices he needs to sell to make a profit this year, anything over 500k at this point would send BBRY stock soaring as it would be clear to be making an early profit. With the stock struggling to stay above $9, and not able to hold $10 a share for any length of time in the last 2 years, this type of news would change the perception of BB and the stock immediately. The lack of any announcement speaks loudest.
    I don't think there would be an obligation to report instantly, and it would set an expectation for further releases.

If there continue to be supply constraints it would be wise to comment on why, maybe, but I can wait for the next conference call in December.

Posted via CB10
    undone likes this.
    10-10-14 04:36 PM
134 12345 ...