Home CrackBerry Q&A > BlackBerry Passport

Is OTG cable (adapter) compatable with the Passport?

Asked: Sep 27 2014 | 5:18 pm EDT 5333 Views 16 Answers View Best Answer

OK the honeymoon just ended. The Passport is not recognizing my OTG adapter. It says cable detection failure. Tried other OTG cable with the same result. The Z30 has never given me this problem. Does this mean the Passport actually is not compatible with OTG adapters?

Best Answer

Sep 27 2014 | 7:01 pm EDT Skyforever

RESOLVED!!! Spoke with a BBM contact and he suggested a hard reset which did the trick. Thank GAWD! I was worried about that one for a moment. LOL

More Answers

Sep 27 2014 | 5:20 pm EDT annon91221

It is certainly has USB otg.. You should check your cable..

Posted via CB10

Sep 27 2014 | 5:54 pm EDT AnimalPak200

From what I understand slimport (which Passport has), flips/shares the three micro usb data pins between video and usb data. It can't do both at a time, but definitely should work for one at a time. Maybe BlackBerry screwed up, or they may be a setting somewhere that enables data/usb otg.

Posted via CB10

Sep 27 2014 | 6:56 pm EDT Skyforever

It is certainly has USB otg.. You should check your cable..

Posted via CB10
I have a Z30 and when I plug any of my OTG adapters they are all recognized by the Z30, but not so with the Passport. I know for sure there is nothing wrong with any of those cables. Why else would they function with the Z30?

Sep 27 2014 | 7:01 pm EDT thurask

Very odd. Plugged my USB drive + adapter just fine.

Feb 06 2015 | 9:20 am EST weiberry

RESOLVED!!! Spoke with a BBM contact and he suggested a hard reset which did the trick. Thank GAWD! I was worried about that one for a moment. LOL
Is your problem solved? I have same frustration. Probably a hard reset makes it work. But some time, the problem just comes back... I got two cable. Same issue. Maybe cable issue? I will try to buy another one from Amazon, but might need some suggestions

Posted via CB10

Feb 06 2015 | 9:27 am EST irweezyy

I use my same OTG adapter from the Z30 with my Passport with no issues. Maybe it's the USB device causing problems?

Posted via CB10

Feb 06 2015 | 11:08 am EST Cross

That's happened to me several times. I've just restarted My Passport and then things started to work perfectly again.

Feb 06 2015 | 11:16 am EST irweezyy

For the ppl having trouble and having to fix via restart, are you running stock OS or a leak?

Posted via CB10

Feb 06 2015 | 11:23 am EST Cross

For the ppl having trouble and having to fix via restart, are you running stock OS or a leak?

Posted via CB10
I've always ran with a leak

Feb 06 2015 | 8:17 pm EST Skyforever

Is your problem solved? I have same frustration. Probably a hard reset makes it work. But some time, the problem just comes back... I got two cable. Same issue. Maybe cable issue? I will try to buy another one from Amazon, but might need some suggestions

Posted via CB10
Yes, it's resolved, but I have noticed if OTG is not recognized right away I have to leave the OTG plugged into the Passport (with a memory stick at the other end of the OTG) while I restart the phone. It's a little inconvenient, but doing this has always worked, and that has been very cool when I'm wanting to use the OTG. Re-starting the phone while leaving the OTG plugged into the phone has never failed. The phone recognizes the OTG (as USB in file manager), and you will be good to go. This procedure has NEVER failed. I have used OTG many times on my Passport. Of course it would be best not having to do this, but believe me, I would rather have to do this, than not being able to use the OTG feature when I want it or need it. I can live with it. Later this will probably get fixed, for now I don't find it to be such a big deal. I'm not usually in that much of a hurry. Of course it will be nice when it gets fixed. It's a BlackBerry after all. Efficiency is expected.

Feb 08 2015 | 4:55 am EST weiberry

Yes, it's resolved, but I have noticed if OTG is not recognized right away I have to leave the OTG plugged into the Passport (with a memory stick at the other end of the OTG) while I restart the phone. It's a little inconvenient, but doing this has always worked, and that has been very cool when I'm wanting to use the OTG. Re-starting the phone while leaving the OTG plugged into the phone has never failed. The phone recognizes the OTG (as USB in file manager), and you will be good to go. This procedure has NEVER failed. I have used OTG many times on my Passport. Of course it would be best not having to do this, but believe me, I would rather have to do this, than not being able to use the OTG feature when I want it or need it. I can live with it. Later this will probably get fixed, for now I don't find it to be such a big deal. I'm not usually in that much of a hurry. Of course it will be nice when it gets fixed. It's a BlackBerry after all. Efficiency is expected.
Good to know. I will try. Thanks for sharing!

Posted via CB10

Feb 08 2015 | 5:22 am EST tomsobon

What OS are you using?

USB OTG has stopped working on the latest 10.3.1 leaks

Posted via CB10

Feb 08 2015 | 3:28 pm EST Skyforever

What OS are you using?

USB OTG has stopped working on the latest 10.3.1 leaks

Posted via CB10
I've been using 10.3.1.1450 OS

Feb 08 2015 | 8:45 pm EST weiberry

I've been using 10.3.0.908

Posted via CB10

Feb 27 2015 | 5:46 pm EST IamLadyK

My Passport running 10.3.0.908 works with a Samsung USB OTG adapter. However, it will not work with this SanDisk 32 GB Ultra dual USB OTG drive http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HR7...UvbUpU11409811.

It works perfectly on my Z30; however, I cannot get it to work on my Passport. I have performed a hard reset and a hard reset with the drive attached. Any suggestions? I would like to get it to work because it is so convenient and does not require me to carry an extra cable.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z30