Just want to share in case someone tries or thinks the same I was.

Thing is, you MUST have Internet access using something different other than your Passport tethered while doing the OS reload.

As silly as it seems I had a problem with my Passport. I tried the reload OS.
    The catch, even though the phone wiped and restarted it never reloaded the OS. It worked fine afterwards and I had to reinstall apps, thinking it reloaded but it didn't do a proper reload.

Even though Link goes thru the steps and restarts the phone, it requires the Internet to download and then install a fresh OS.

I didn't think anything of it as I thought Link had the OS already on the computer and it informed me that I was running the current OS after a check for the OS. Similar to the same it does when looking for an update of the OS. Which when it does that can be found while Passport is used as tether. So it was thought an OS reload wouldn't be any different.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" from Adam Savage
    07-13-15 05:44 PM

Thing is, you MUST have Internet access using something different other than your Passport tethered while doing the OS reload.

The catch, even though the phone wiped and restarted it never reloaded the OS. It worked fine afterwards and I had to reinstall apps, thinking it reloaded but it didn't do a proper reload.

Even though Link goes thru the steps and restarts the phone, it requires the Internet to download and then install a fresh OS.

I didn't think anything of it as I thought Link had the OS already on the computer and it informed me that I was running the current OS after a check for the OS. Similar to the same it does when looking for an update of the OS. Which when it does that can be found while Passport is used as tether. So it was thought an OS reload wouldn't be any different.

Good info. Never knew that.
    07-13-15 05:59 PM

Wait...I need Internet to Reload My OS . That's just crazy. Next thing you know I'll have to use a computer to run an autoloader.
    07-13-15 06:03 PM
    Wait...I need Internet to Reload My OS . That's just crazy. Next thing you know I'll have to use a computer to run an autoloader.
    Play nice.
    Link went through all the same steps as a reload would while Passport was tethered.

With the exception of the downloading of the OS box.

For someone who hasn't seen the correct full process, they might assume they did a reload without knowing it never really loaded.

Assumption was, if anything needed to be downloaded, it would have placed it onto a temporary folder for Link, than disconnect the Passport and start the load onto Passport. But that's not true. It's a "live download straight from Internet to Passport.

07-13-15 06:30 PM
    Are you sure you actually used Link to do a reload because if you actually clicked on "Reload device OS" in Link, it will actually tell you you have no Internet connection and fail and will not do anything to your phone. It will only restart your device and it won't even do that until you cancel it as it will give you a pop up message.

What you did was a actually a "Factory Reset" with Link. This wipes everything off the phone and requires no Internet. It works like a normal security wipe you do from settings on the device.
    07-13-15 08:31 PM
    Are you sure you actually used Link to do a reload because if you actually clicked on "Reload device OS" in Link, it will actually tell you you have no Internet connection and fail and will not do anything to your phone. It will only restart your device and it won't even do that until you cancel it as it will give you a pop up message.

What you did was a actually a "Factory Reset" with Link. This wipes everything off the phone and requires no Internet. It works like a normal security wipe you do from settings on the device.
    No it was a reload I did.

In preference > then select reload.

Then Link checks for the most current OS.
    Informed me I have the most current OS and asks if I'd like to continue with the reload.
    Tells me to disconnect all other devices and then continue.
    Which at that point, Passport turns off and restarts.
    And at no point did Link say anything about connection fail nor canceling.

And at restart, custom wallpaper was still up.
    All accounts still in tack.
    Many apps settings were reset to there original states.
    Some custom OS settings were reset, like LED, custom ring tones, profile settings, and quick settings. Back to original

So it appears as though something happens. But it's not a correct reload and no warnings nor errors pop up.

If I get a hold of another phone or video recorder I'll take a video of it.

07-13-15 09:15 PM
    No it was a reload I did.

In preference > then select reload.

Then Link checks for the most current OS.
    Informed me I have the most current OS and asks if I'd like to continue with the reload.
    Tells me to disconnect all other devices and then continue.
    Which at that point, Passport turns off and restarts.
    And at no point did Link say anything about connection fail nor canceling.

And at restart, custom wallpaper was still up.
    All accounts still in tack.
    Many apps settings were reset to there original states.
    Some custom OS settings were reset, like LED, custom ring tones, profile settings, and quick settings. Back to original

So it appears as though something happens. But it's not a correct reload and no warnings nor errors pop up.

If I get a hold of another phone or video recorder I'll take a video of it.

I replied and suggested you probably did a factory reset based on what you said here

Also, to tell you I'm sure of what I'm saying, I did a reload just now without Internet connection on my laptop. The result is phone restarted and stayed on green light while Link was checking for software updates. After about 1 minute, it said "no blackberry software updates are available". I'm currently running 10.3.2.840. After closing it, my phone restarted and nothing was changed. All my apps and data are intact. Nothing was returned to default.
    So I'm still not sure how you could be getting what you claim to be getting. No pun intended.
    07-13-15 10:26 PM
    I replied and suggested you probably did a factory reset based on what you said here

Also, to tell you I'm sure of what I'm saying, I did a reload just now without Internet connection on my laptop. The result is phone restarted and stayed on green light while Link was checking for software updates. After about 1 minute, it said "no blackberry software updates are available". I'm currently running 10.3.2.840. After closing it, my phone restarted and nothing was changed. All my apps and data are intact. Nothing was returned to default.
    So I'm still not sure how you could be getting what you claim to be getting. No pun intended.
    It's all good.

When you used your laptop, did you have the Passport connected to the laptop via USB using tether?
    That's how I had it on my PC, tethered using USB.

Also..... I'm a little outdated on my PC running Vista. Lol

07-13-15 10:38 PM
    It's all good.

When you used your laptop, did you have the Passport connected to the laptop via USB using tether?
    That's how I had it on my PC, tethered using USB.

Also..... I'm a little outdated on my PC running Vista. Lol

I am using a Z30 and Internet was not tethered from the USB.
    OS reload requires alternative Internet access other than Passport?-img_20150714_042159.jpg

Windows 10 by the way.
    07-13-15 10:40 PM
    Right on.

07-13-15 11:03 PM