For a long time, I have been looking for a phone holder (with charging) for my nightstand. After a long day, I want to simply place my original Passport on my bedside and not have to think about charging it for the next day (regardless of how good the battery is). So I had two options, either go wireless or finding a docking station.

Since I am using a Ringke Fusion case on my Passport (don't want to go without it, nor take it out every time I had to charge my phone), I couldn't simply use the SyncPod as it is not compatible with the case on.

Surprisingly, it is not easy to find third party accessories that are compatible with cases and I am not even looking for Blackberry-specific accessories. After much search, I decided to try both wireless charging and a docking station. I bought these two items from Amazon (UK):

- Belkin Android Express Dock with Adjustable Micro USB Connector
    - PROT3CH Ultra Slim Micro USB Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Module

These items are cheap. Actually, the shipping on the wireless receiver was more than the actual price of the item.

Belkin docking station
    It works very well, even with a Ringke Fusion case on! On the back of the docking station, it has a wheel to adjust the height of the microUSB connector. I imagine this will works for a lot of cases as well. Also, I find that it charges the phone faster than the regular way, I am simply using the original power brick that came with my Passport. See pictures below:

Original Passport: Wireless charging and docking station with case!-img_3571.jpg
    Original Passport: Wireless charging and docking station with case!-img_3572.jpg
    Original Passport: Wireless charging and docking station with case!-img_3573.jpg
    Original Passport: Wireless charging and docking station with case!-img_3574.jpg
    Original Passport: Wireless charging and docking station with case!-img_3578.jpg

Wireless charging
    I bought a wireless charging receiver and placed it behind my Ringke Fusion cover. You won't really feel much of a difference in bulk, but placing the Passport on a flat surface will make it "wobble" ever so little. Not a deal breaker at all.

The wireless receiver outputs around 800-1000 mA according to the manufacturer (I haven't been able to make actual measurements yet). I am using a 2A power brick hooked to a wireless charging pad that delivers 1A.

And the charging time? Actually pretty good (!), maybe even slightly worse than regular charging. I obviously need more testing, but from what I can observe 1-3 minutes per increased percentage. I know this sounds too good to be true, and I honestly expected it to take all night. But this is my experience. After about 1 hour my phone increased battery by 26%. I will make an update in the next couple of days. But my phone does get warm, but I have experienced this with other phones with built-in wireless charging as well.

Original Passport: Wireless charging and docking station with case!-img_3575.jpg
    Original Passport: Wireless charging and docking station with case!-img_3576.jpg
    Original Passport: Wireless charging and docking station with case!-img_3581.jpg
    Original Passport: Wireless charging and docking station with case!-img_3585.jpg
    Original Passport: Wireless charging and docking station with case!-img_3586.jpg
    Original Passport: Wireless charging and docking station with case!-img_3588.jpg
    Original Passport: Wireless charging and docking station with case!-img_3587.jpg

The good thing about this wireless receiver is that I don't even have to take the cover off if I need to use regular microUSB. I can simply unplug and bend it backwords. This way, I can keep using my Belkin docking station (I prefer having a viewing angle).

Give these items a try, you won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by Rex001; 06-22-16 at 08:28 AM.
    raino likes this.
    06-21-16 03:03 PM
    Wait...you're charging a SQW100-1 wirelessly? I thought this wasn't possible...
    06-21-16 03:19 PM
    Wait...you're charging a SQW100-1 wirelessly? I thought this wasn't possible...
    It is with an adapter.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-16 03:39 PM
    It is with an adapter.
    Yeah, I saw that. I thought wireless charging was just disabled for the non-natively capable models; not an option even after third party modifications?
    06-21-16 04:29 PM
    Yeah, I saw that. I thought wireless charging was just disabled for the non-natively capable models; not an option even after third party modifications?
    Well, your phone won't recognize that it is charging wirelessly, but it will charge your phone regardless.

Passport.
    raino likes this.
    06-21-16 04:32 PM
    Wow, been looking for something like this as was a little disappointed that the dock isn't compatible with having a case on. Will look at getting these I think.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-16 05:23 PM
    Quick update:
    - I tried scanning a NFC tag while using the wireless receiver. It actually works right away, I though the receiver would block the signal. Not that I use NFC often, but at least you won't sacrifice any features.

- My biggest concern is how warm the phone gets while using wireless charging. I know this is somewhat common and not damaging the phone, but it is uncomfortable to use right after.
    06-22-16 06:22 AM
    Wow, been looking for something like this as was a little disappointed that the dock isn't compatible with having a case on. Will look at getting these I think.

Posted via CB10
    I might actually buy an extra Belkin dock for syncing by my computer. The built quality is pretty good and solid. The only negative thing I can think of is that the microUSB wire is attached to the dock and also, you will need to bring your own power brick. Not really a big deal though.
    06-22-16 06:30 AM
    Question about the Ringke Fusion case OP... Is it made of hard plastic or rubber (like jelly type cases)? Also, does the clear one you have become yellowish over time?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 07:35 AM
    Question about the Ringke Fusion case OP... Is it made of hard plastic or rubber (like jelly type cases)? Also, does the clear one you have become yellowish over time?

Posted via CB10
    The case is sort of a hybrid. The back of the cover is hard plastic (tiniest bit flexible), but the edges are made of hard rubber (TPU actually). But the phone feels much more comfortable to hold with the case on.

I have had the cover for 8-9 months now, the case has become a bit yellowish around the edges only. I didn't even notice it before you asked, thank you by the way. The backcover is as clear as ever. There are 4 rasied corners as well, so the backcover doesn't get scratched up - and it works.

You can sort of see this in the pictures I posted, look around the edges of the phone.

Also, take a look at this video at around 3:20:

deeeemon666 likes this.
    06-22-16 08:22 AM
    Thanks a lot for the info and link OP!

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 08:38 AM
    Thanks for this post, I have ordered both items from
    Amazon

Cheers

Simon

Posted via CB10
    Rex001 likes this.
    06-22-16 09:31 AM
    Thanks for this post, I have ordered both items from
    Amazon

Cheers

Simon

Posted via CB10
    Great, you will love it! Let me know what you think.
    06-22-16 12:25 PM
    Update:
    I really like wireless charging and I am especially surprised about the charging speed - it really isn't that bad. Also, I don't have to keep aligning the phone for it to charge. I am able to casually place my phone on the pad and it starts charging after a few seconds. I got a notification saying I need to buy a genuine Blackberry charger maybe once or twice, but lifting the phone and putting it back down fixes the problem.

I did, however, find myself charging my phone much more than I am used to, so my average battery life in the Device Manager is dropping fast.

The biggest problem is the heat. It really is annoying to the point where I went back to the docking station instead. I might just go back to wireless charging in the winter, but for now I will stay with the dock.
    06-24-16 09:06 AM
    Got two of the Belkin chargers, one for office, one for home,
    Great little charger..cheers

Posted via CB10
    Rex001 likes this.
    06-28-16 03:45 PM
    Got two of the Belkin chargers, one for office, one for home,
    Great little charger..cheers

Posted via CB10
    Glad you like them. Are you using them with a case?

Passport.
    06-28-16 05:50 PM