I got my Original Black Passport at Launch Time (October 2014) from the Blackberry Shop in Dubai. Since the first day, it has been a pleasure to interact with the Passport. Of course, there have been a few niggles - but most of them have been taken care of by Software Updates. The fluidity and coherence of BB10 coupled with the form factor of the Passport makes it almost impossible to consider any other option now!

However, since a couple of months back, Battery Life seems to have significantly degraded. A Battery that used to last for 1.5-2 days now hardly lasts for a day or less, on similar usage. My primary usage is phone, email, web browsing, camera, whatsapp, BBM, remember, calendar, twitter and linkedin. I use no Games and no Android Apps!

I am currently on SR 10.3.2.2474 (OS 10.3.2.2639). The degradation started with the earlier release of the SR/OS.

Any thoughts or advise would be very welcome! I also take this opportunity to wish everyone in the BlackBerry and Passport eco-systems a very happy and fulfilling time over the Xmas/New Year period!

Cheers.
    Attachment 385481
    Attachment 385482

These 2 snapshots are taken about 10-11 minutes apart and the Battery is down by 4%!!
    Last edited by AshokGov; 12-23-15 at 01:56 PM.
    12-20-15 12:50 PM
    No idea what's out there, but an app that measures battery charge capacity and wear would give you an idea.

Posted via CB10 // Passport Red SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2474 // Cricket Wireless
    12-20-15 01:04 PM
    Help us help you by showing us information displayed by the device monitors battery tab! My passport hardly lasts 2 days, I'll get a full day through though
    12-20-15 01:05 PM
    I have been using the CB10 App from only a few days back. When I am trying to initiate a 'post', I can see a paperclip icon that leads me to a screenshot of the Battery Monitor - however, it doesn't seem to be selecting it for attachment to the Post! How do I attach files in a CB Post?
    12-20-15 01:20 PM
    Unless they have done major changes to batteries over the last year. Most of them last for about two years. After that the longevity of a single charge is pretty bad.

You could be experiencing the beginnings of that degradation.
    12-20-15 03:11 PM
    I have been using the CB10 App from only a few days back. When I am trying to initiate a 'post', I can see a paperclip icon that leads me to a screenshot of the Battery Monitor - however, it doesn't seem to be selecting it for attachment to the Post! How do I attach files in a CB Post?
    You have to go to App permissions in Settings and turn on access to files for the CB app.
    12-21-15 07:02 AM
    You have to go to App permissions in Settings and turn on access to files for the CB app.
    Thanks!!
    12-21-15 10:41 AM
    Reposting the Snapshots from the Device Monitor - taken about 10/11 minutes apart - and, there is a reduction in Battery Life by 4%!!
    Original Black Passport - Battery Life significantly down after about a Year of use-img_20151223_233849.png
    Original Black Passport - Battery Life significantly down after about a Year of use-img_20151223_234925.png
    Original Black Passport - Battery Life significantly down after about a Year of use-img_20151223_235819.png
    Original Black Passport - Battery Life significantly down after about a Year of use-img_20151223_235901.png
    12-23-15 02:04 PM
    I have an OE from BlackBerry and my battery is toasted in under a year. The battery will fully charge but lasts about .5 days. I'm constantly charging and will need to replace with an ATT.

I went through all the diagnostics I could and troubleshooting.

It is possible it is an OS issue because I think it happened after an update but I think it's a bad battery.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-15 02:16 PM
    It looks like it is your PIM services. You shouldn't have 8.4% PIM service use in a snapshot. Mine is idle when I look at current CPU. You may be having a syncing problem with one of your email accounts. If you have the choice, try to setup your accounts as Microsoft Active Sync accounts. You do not have to sync all your email, as the Active sync will allow you to remote search back to the server. I noticed that the longest for active sync is now 90days.

If you had setup your accounts to sync forever, which was an option in the past and maybe still for some services, a problem at the mail server may be forcing a resync. This could take a long time, may never complete and could use a lot of CPU and battery power.

Even with active sync, there can be problems on the email servers that can cause high cpu use. My wife's phone would get high cpu use every now and then and a reboot would fix it. We are guessing it is something to do with her company's Exchange server.
    12-23-15 02:20 PM
    Looks like a degraded battery issue.

There has not been a significant OS update pushed by BlackBerry, so it is not because of a software.

You need to get a new battery. This is why I hate sealed in battery phones.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-15 11:02 AM
    It looks like it is your PIM services. You shouldn't have 8.4% PIM service use in a snapshot. Mine is idle when I look at current CPU. You may be having a syncing problem with one of your email accounts. If you have the choice, try to setup your accounts as Microsoft Active Sync accounts. You do not have to sync all your email, as the Active sync will allow you to remote search back to the server. I noticed that the longest for active sync is now 90days.

If you had setup your accounts to sync forever, which was an option in the past and maybe still for some services, a problem at the mail server may be forcing a resync. This could take a long time, may never complete and could use a lot of CPU and battery power.

Even with active sync, there can be problems on the email servers that can cause high cpu use. My wife's phone would get high cpu use every now and then and a reboot would fix it. We are guessing it is something to do with her company's Exchange server.
    Well - in the CPU display, PIM Services do come up as 'idle' most of the times. The CPU display is almost constantly in a state of flux!! I just have 3 Accounts set up for email (Outlook, Gmail and Yahoo). All of them are set for a synch for 90 days.

Thanks for the information.
    12-27-15 02:06 AM
    I got my Original Black Passport at Launch Time (October 2014) from the Blackberry Shop in Dubai. Since the first day, it has been a pleasure to interact with the Passport. Of course, there have been a few niggles - but most of them have been taken care of by Software Updates. The fluidity and coherence of BB10 coupled with the form factor of the Passport makes it almost impossible to consider any other option now!

However, since a couple of months back, Battery Life seems to have significantly degraded. A Battery that used to last for 1.5-2 days now hardly lasts for a day or less, on similar usage. My primary usage is phone, email, web browsing, camera, whatsapp, BBM, remember, calendar, twitter and linkedin. I use no Games and no Android Apps!

I am currently on SR 10.3.2.2474 (OS 10.3.2.2639). The degradation started with the earlier release of the SR/OS.

Any thoughts or advise would be very welcome! I also take this opportunity to wish everyone in the BlackBerry and Passport eco-systems a very happy and fulfilling time over the Xmas/New Year period!

Cheers.
    Attachment 385481
    Attachment 385482

These 2 snapshots are taken about 10-11 minutes apart and the Battery is down by 4%!!
    I think your problem is only due to battery wear. I am in your spot too. Mine however goes on for 1 full day before me needing to put it in charge. I guess this this nature's call!!

Posted via CB10
    12-27-15 02:17 AM
    Regarding the comments on the Battery being shot, it does seem to be probable - though, I hope that isn't the case!

Original Black Passport - Battery Life significantly down after about a Year of use-img_20151226_174415.png
    Original Black Passport - Battery Life significantly down after about a Year of use-img_20151226_175336.png
    Original Black Passport - Battery Life significantly down after about a Year of use-img_20151226_180722.png
    Original Black Passport - Battery Life significantly down after about a Year of use-img_20151226_181314.png
    Original Black Passport - Battery Life significantly down after about a Year of use-img_20151226_182655.png
    Original Black Passport - Battery Life significantly down after about a Year of use-img_20151226_185205.png
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151226_185205.png 
Views:	386 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	385779

When the Passport was new, the 'potential life' of the Battery (when fully charged) used to be at least 2 days or more - many a time, it used to be (> 3 days). For the last few months, this has never been the case. However, over the last week or so, the Potential Life seems to have been restored!! However, when I start using the Passport, the 'actual life' starts dropping rapidly - as can be seen from the above screenshots! It is almost like the Display and Apps seem to be 'on' for much longer than I actually use them!! - however weird it may seem!
    12-27-15 02:29 AM
    As far as I know there are 3 simple rules to extend battery life:
    1. Do charge the phone as often as you can. If possible, do not leave the battery to go under 50%
    2. Do not leave it charging after it reaches 100%, it only damages the battery
    3. Once a month leave it all the way until the phone turns off and then charge it for 12 hours (the famous cycle)
    That's for the long life... I guess if you haven't done the above most probably you're noticing wearing signs.
    As for the daily usage, I guess you already take care of the gps, wifi, bluetooth not to be on if not used, apps not running in the background, dark themes, etc
    Hope this helps!

Posted via the sexy black Panther
    12-27-15 04:18 AM
    As far as I know there are 3 simple rules to extend battery life:
    1. Do charge the phone as often as you can. If possible, do not leave the battery to go under 50%
    2. Do not leave it charging after it reaches 100%, it only damages the battery
    3. Once a month leave it all the way until the phone turns off and then charge it for 12 hours (the famous cycle)
    That's for the long life... I guess if you haven't done the above most probably you're noticing wearing signs.
    As for the daily usage, I guess you already take care of the gps, wifi, bluetooth not to be on if not used, apps not running in the background, dark themes, etc
    Hope this helps!

For the past few months (especially from when the Battery Life showed signs of degradation),my Battery Management philosophy has been as under:
    1. Charge every night. This obviously means that the Phone will continue to be on the Charger even after it reaches 100% - until I get up in the morning. I would think that the Battery/Phone has an automatic 'switch' that stops the Charging when the Battery reaches 100%. I also generally try to charge till the BBVE shows 'Not Charging' - BBVE shows a 'charging' status for about 10-15 minutes after the Device Monitor reflects a Full Charge. Is leaving the phone on the Charger even after it is at 100% detrimental to the Battery?
    2. Using the Volume Keys, reboot the phone every morning (I seem to have read a suggestion on this Forum that a reboot at 100% is beneficial wrt the Battery Life)
    3. I rarely let the phone run down to 0 - have just done it a couple of times since the purchase. I generally re-charge when the Battery is at between 10-15%.

I will try the monthly 'run-down', going forward.

Yes - I have taken care of most of the stuff that you mentioned - I generally use WiFi whenever I can; but when I can't, it's switched off - only 3 minimised Apps (Device Monitor, Calendar and Remember) - Bluetooth off when not used etc.

Thanks for your response!
    12-27-15 05:05 AM
    For the past few months (especially from when the Battery Life showed signs of degradation),my Battery Management philosophy has been as under:
    1. Charge every night. This obviously means that the Phone will continue to be on the Charger even after it reaches 100% - until I get up in the morning. I would think that the Battery/Phone has an automatic 'switch' that stops the Charging when the Battery reaches 100%. I also generally try to charge till the BBVE shows 'Not Charging' - BBVE shows a 'charging' status for about 10-15 minutes after the Device Monitor reflects a Full Charge. Is leaving the phone on the Charger even after it is at 100% detrimental to the Battery?
    2. Using the Volume Keys, reboot the phone every morning (I seem to have read a suggestion on this Forum that a reboot at 100% is beneficial wrt the Battery Life)
    3. I rarely let the phone run down to 0 - have just done it a couple of times since the purchase. I generally re-charge when the Battery is at between 10-15%.

I will try the monthly 'run-down', going forward.

Yes - I have taken care of most of the stuff that you mentioned - I generally use WiFi whenever I can; but when I can't, it's switched off - only 3 minimised Apps (Device Monitor, Calendar and Remember) - Bluetooth off when not used etc.

Thanks for your response!
    Hm, from experience on different phones, leaving it charging all night DOES damage the battery.
    You can easily notice that if you plug it off before you go to sleep and then put plane mode you'll find it at 97-98% in the morning and it will go down slower than if you take if off the charger in the morning.
    As I said, I plug it in the evening and remove it before I go to sleep, plane mode, alarm. In the morning, first thing I remove plane mode, put it on charge and remove it when it reaches 100%.
    I did this with the iphone and it proved to be the best way to get me through the day.

12-27-15 05:32 AM
    Hm, from experience on different phones, leaving it charging all night DOES damage the battery.
    You can easily notice that if you plug it off before you go to sleep and then put plane mode you'll find it at 97-98% in the morning and it will go down slower than if you take if off the charger in the morning.
    As I said, I plug it in the evening and remove it before I go to sleep, plane mode, alarm. In the morning, first thing I remove plane mode, put it on charge and remove it when it reaches 100%.
    I did this with the iphone and it proved to be the best way to get me through the day.

Thanks for sharing your experience and advise! Will give this a try!
    12-27-15 05:49 AM
    For what it's worth, my unlocked Passport used to last 24-30 hours or more with moderate to heavy usage, and a day and a half or more with lighter use, until the update this past fall (10.3.2.2427 or whatever it was). I noticed an immediate hit to the battery life (getting 12-14 hours), which I initially attributed to indexing, etc., but it never did bounce back, and rarely if ever have I gotten more than 16-18 hours since. So yes, it could be that my now 14 month old phone (and battery) are showing signs of age, but really, it was the very same day as that update and never got back to where it was. I find it hard to believe there isn't a relationship between these two actions.
    12-27-15 09:19 AM
    I don't have a passport from my experience on my BB10 phones, when I had synching of Facebook on (which was the default), it worked for many months without issue. Then one day, my usage went through the roof and battery died in hours. I turned it off and the problem went away.

As others have said, I would check your accounts (email, FB, linked in, etc) first. Maybe disabling and enabling is enough(or delete and set the up again).
    12-27-15 09:44 AM
    You may not want to use the volume keys to force a hard reset. I don't know what it does that is different than the normal reboot, but it does more in regards to some of the filesystem. It may be forcing a reindex or a resync of you email accounts. I would liken it to clearing cookies and cache in a browser, except it is clearing OS related files and then has to rebuild them.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-15 07:41 PM