Im curious if anyone in the US has had any luck using their passports on any other carriers other then tmo or att?

Obv i know sprint and vzw are out as they are cdma carriers

Also anyone know if bbry offers extensions on their support for devices?
    02-13-15 12:09 AM
    I think for now it's only GSM carriers...
    02-13-15 07:26 AM
    I know its gsm but from what i heard even some gsm carriers like prepaid dont want it, such as metropcs, that is why im asking, trying to avoid tmo or att but obv if i have to go with em so be it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    02-13-15 07:31 AM
    Yup. Only GSM....not sure if it's possible to avoid those two.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 08:18 AM
    Yup. Only GSM....not sure if it's possible to avoid those two.

Posted via CB10
    Anyone have any luck with cricket??
    02-13-15 08:20 AM
    The bands that the Passport works on should cover those carriers. Their reluctance to officially 'support' the Passport probably stems from their lack of understanding about BB10 - they may believe that the phone may require BIS. They really aren't educated about BB these days.

It SHOULD work, but you never know. I hope someone who's not directly on a major network can chime in.

EDIT: Cricket should work because it's on AT&T. MetroPCS uses CDMA, which may be why they don't officially support it.
    02-13-15 08:26 AM
    The bands that the Passport works on should cover those carriers. Their reluctance to officially 'support' the Passport probably stems from their lack of understanding about BB10 - they may believe that the phone may require BIS. They really aren't educated about BB these days.

It SHOULD work, but you never know. I hope someone who's not directly on a major network can chime in.
    Second ^
    02-13-15 08:27 AM
    Any GSM MVNO'S should work. I am on cricket and it works fine, except for the VVM.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 08:33 AM
    Any GSM MVNO'S should work. I am on cricket and it works fine, except for the VVM.

Posted via CB10
    Not to worried about visual voicemail, if thats the trade off ill take it.
    02-13-15 08:34 AM
    I moved over to Cricket from T-Mobile a few weeks back and I have no complaints whatsoever. I get LTE all the time in Chicagoland and texts/picture texts are sent and received just fine too. Cricket runs on AT&T's network, so coverage is expected to be generally pretty great.

Via CB10 on this beast they call the Passport
    02-13-15 08:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    I've never really tried visual voicemail, so I didn't realize I was even missing this feature when I moved to Cricket. Regular voicemail works just fine for me.

Via CB10 on this beast they call the Passport
    02-13-15 08:49 AM
    Vvm is a standard protocol and available out of the box in windows, iphones and bb10 devices. I don't know why the carriers are not enabling them for bb10.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 09:19 AM
    MetroPCS is sprint isn't it?

If you want prepaid you have to look for a GSM prepaid carrier.
    02-13-15 09:46 AM
    The metropcs by me is sporting a tmobile coverage map, as yohann mentioned its probably uneducated info about bbry
    02-13-15 09:52 AM
    The metropcs by me is sporting a tmobile coverage map, as yohann mentioned its probably uneducated info about bbry
    That's true - they are a TMO subsidiary (I think) but, according to Wikipedia, they use CDMA networks within TMO. I'm not sure how that works, or if they are transitioning to GSM, but maybe that's the reason they said it wouldn't work.
    02-13-15 12:51 PM
    That's true - they are a TMO subsidiary (I think) but, according to Wikipedia, they use CDMA networks within TMO. I'm not sure how that works, or if they are transitioning to GSM, but maybe that's the reason they said it wouldn't work.
    ture, anyways i'll just wait til i get the phone on tuesday this way i can actually bring into them and show them, v or else i'll try cricket. sad part is, I visited about 4 different metropcs's, and each of em had a different answer, one said just a plain yes the other a plain no,[i,.e no explanation] the other says yes but i had to get the $50 plan and the other said no because their network didn't support blackberry, sigh and people wonder why i favor corporate offices over franchise owned places.
    02-13-15 12:59 PM
    I have mine unlocked on cricket and it works amazing because you are on AT&T network minus all the fees. My bill is $40.00 with taxes and fees and I have 5gb of data and unlimited talk and text.

Posted via J's Blackberry Passport
    Last edited by Jay is back on CrackBezee; 02-13-15 at 05:34 PM.
    02-13-15 03:54 PM