I'm 10 days in, and still don't like they keyboard.
    I will say that there are a lot of things that I *DO* like about the phone, but the keyboard is a huge disappointment for me. If they had just added numbers and symbols to the existing 3 rows of keys, it would have likely been much better. Then, we'd have the choice of using real keys or virtual keys. I suspect though that they intentionally didn't, because beta tests showed that people would be less likely to adopt the virtual method if they could easily use the physical keys for symbols instead.

I have been a Blackberry user for close to a decade now. I have lived by the keyboard and became a diehard of this touch keyboard I am typing on.

BlackBerry seriously screwed up the passport. It is the most awful marriage of two great things of all time. I consider myself a power user of my phones and I could barely type a simple message on the passport.

Chen, very simply put hurry up with another flagship all touch or the ship is going down.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 07:58 AM
    You can totally use the keyboard for symbols. Swipe down on the keyboard and it will bring up the virtual one and you'll notice that each key is assigned a symbol. You can press the corresponding key to use that symbol.

I am loving the entire Passport experience. The keyboard is great, the screen is great. 10.3 is great. There have been a couple of little hiccups so far - yesterday my sensors stopped working and I needed to do a quick restart and there have been a couple of little bugs with the sensitivity of the touchscreen keyboard, but other than that it's been awesome. What new phone doesn't have a few kinks to work out?

I must say that I love the irony of the OP's title - why exactly are positive reports of the Passport baloney? Just because you're not having a good time with the phone doesn't mean the rest of us who have it are in agreement with you. I just gave a positive report based on my experience with the phone - is my report baloney?

JB
    10-08-14 08:32 AM
    I have been a Blackberry user for close to a decade now. I have lived by the keyboard and became a diehard of this touch keyboard I am typing on.

BlackBerry seriously screwed up the passport. It is the most awful marriage of two great things of all time. I consider myself a power user of my phones and I could barely type a simple message on the passport.

Chen, very simply put hurry up with another flagship all touch or the ship is going down.

Posted via CB10
    I wonder how can you open a thread like this, when the Passport is having so much demand, that simply is sold out everywhere all the time. Very VERY far from being a failiure

I feel sorry for you that you can't type on the passport, because I can, and I can type without even looking at the device, wich you can't with your "master skills" in the digital keyboard
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    10-08-14 08:51 AM
    I'm fine with them making the Passport. I see a need for it and it is a launching pad for some new technology. I wish they would have made an identically sized all touch to go with it. If work wide is good for PKB, then it should be for all touch too. The Z10 is getting long in the tooth, but still a good with poor battery, the Z30 came out too close to the Z10 and wasn't really pushed by BlackBerry and didn't offer enough improvements over the Z10 for many to change, and expecting another all touch by around this time.

I had PKB's from Treo 600 though the Bold 9900. The last few PKB devices I had from BlackBerry the quality went down. Now with a VKB as long as the screen works my phone works. BlackBerry converted me to all touch and they need to still cater to this audience.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-08-14 08:56 AM
    I love the phone, but I have no problem criticizing it. The hybrid keyboard is headscrachingly stupider. Like how did this get through basic testing? I'm biding my time until a Passport with a traditional keymap is announced (never), or until the classic is released.

Posted with Passport via CB10
    Tim Heard likes this.
    10-08-14 09:12 AM
    I love the phone, but I have no problem criticizing it. The hybrid keyboard is headscrachingly stupider. Like how did this get through basic testing? I'm biding my time until a Passport with a traditional keymap is announced (never), or until the classic is released.

Could you provide some context for how the keyboard is "headscratchingly stupider?" There are quite a few people who seem to have no issue with it. I'm not trying to say you're wrong or whatever like that - just trying to understand the criticism, and I'm sure there are others here who are genuinely curious about why those who don't like the Passport do not like it.

JB
    D3C0D3R and kbz1960 like this.
    10-08-14 09:18 AM
    I've been using the Passport for less than a day. I'm discovering so many cool features. I'm loving the display and UI improvements. And I'm learning how to use the keyboard. Yesterday was tough but today is much better. And I mean MUCH better. I'm finding the suggestions to be fantastic. I'm typing a bit slower but much more accurately than on my Z10. The flip down function for the symbols is working great. I'm using the keyboard for the symbols as they are mapped and it really speeds up my typing. Overall a great experience that is only getting better as the OS learns my writing style.

But hey, I like to learn something new every day. Not everyone feels like doing that.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 09:37 AM
    I agree with you that positive reports should be taken at face value.
    I understand that you *can* use the physical keyboard for symbols. However, BlackBerry has clearly gone out of their way not to encourage it.
    However, those who are disappointed in the keyboard design ought to also be given credit for having valid opinions.
    CrackBerry Kevin chose his words pretty carefully in a rather lengthy video review of the PassPort, but it was pretty clear that he felt that the new keyboard is not an improvement on the keyboard experience. It might be "good" in the sense that many people will like it, but it diminishes the things that are good about having a phone with a physical keyboard.

You can totally use the keyboard for symbols. Swipe down on the keyboard and it will bring up the virtual one and you'll notice that each key is assigned a symbol. You can press the corresponding key to use that symbol.

I am loving the entire Passport experience. The keyboard is great, the screen is great. 10.3 is great. There have been a couple of little hiccups so far - yesterday my sensors stopped working and I needed to do a quick restart and there have been a couple of little bugs with the sensitivity of the touchscreen keyboard, but other than that it's been awesome. What new phone doesn't have a few kinks to work out?

I must say that I love the irony of the OP's title - why exactly are positive reports of the Passport baloney? Just because you're not having a good time with the phone doesn't mean the rest of us who have it are in agreement with you. I just gave a positive report based on my experience with the phone - is my report baloney?

JB
    10-08-14 11:05 AM
    I agree with you that positive reports should be taken at face value.
    I understand that you *can* use the physical keyboard for symbols. However, BlackBerry has clearly gone out of their way not to encourage it.
    However, those who are disappointed in the keyboard design ought to also be given credit for having valid opinions.
    CrackBerry Kevin chose his words pretty carefully in a rather lengthy video review of the PassPort, but it was pretty clear that he felt that the new keyboard is not an improvement on the keyboard experience. It might be "good" in the sense that many people will like it, but it diminishes the things that are good about having a phone with a physical keyboard.
    I never once tried to diminish the opinions of those people who don't like the keyboard. I disagree with those people, because I like it very much. I don't think those negative reports are baloney, since each user experiences the phone differently. I was just commenting on the fact that the OP was essentially writing off positive reports because he didn't personally like the phone.

JB
    10-08-14 11:14 AM
    So BlackBerry is selling the Passport out and yet it is wrong again. Wow.
    10-08-14 11:17 AM
    I felt this way for about an hour when I changed from 9900 to Z10, and then the whole swipe gesture thing and the most amazing predictive keyboard!!! I was sold.....i am looking forward to getting the BBPP and hope I don't bemoan the physical keyboard..lol

Posted via Digicel Z10 10.2.1.2977
    10-08-14 11:22 AM
    Like with anything else, it takes time for people to adapt to it. Sure, without the fourth row of numbers, it's not as intuitive, but neither are the crazy long press shortcuts that BBOS7 users bemoan are missing from BB10. How did long press shortcuts become such a staple when they're not intuitive at all for the new user? Time will tell how effective the new design is. Afterall, when BlackBerry dominated, who would have thought people would be fine typing on glass and not have tactile feedback?
    10-08-14 11:42 AM
    Could you provide some context for how the keyboard is "headscratchingly stupider?" There are quite a few people who seem to have no issue with it. I'm not trying to say you're wrong or whatever like that - just trying to understand the criticism, and I'm sure there are others here who are genuinely curious about why those who don't like the Passport do not like it.

JB
    I didn't mean type type stupider. What I mean is that a hybrid keyboard like the Passport has is inherently slow. Complex sentences are a bear to deal with. I can't dial a phone number from the home screen with the keyboard. It's just a whole lot of hassle to deal with the pop up virtual keyboard. The ever-morphing OS UI is just not as elegant as the never-changing Q10 screen. Also, deleting characters in reverse (shift+backspace) is not easy to do. I long for a shift and alt button and secondary keyboard characters. I love the swiping, however.

10-08-14 12:09 PM
    I wonder who or what is screwed up, the Passport or you? You honestly believe that the world thinks exactly how you think? Get a grip because there many people who don't agree with you.
    Agreed. I thought I'd never go back to a physical keyboard but lookie here, I did. And don't regret it one bit. This thing is amazing!

Via CB10 Rockin PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632!!!!! And Proud member of the Peevishlicious Crew
    Last edited by Pdinos3; 10-08-14 at 08:58 PM.
    10-08-14 03:27 PM
    [WARN]A last warning -- drop the personal comments and discuss the device.[/WARN]
    10-08-14 06:58 PM
    *bologna

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    D3C0D3R and CecilTsunami like this.
    10-08-14 07:00 PM
    Baloney...bologna

Hmmm...

Has Oscar Meyer been lying to me all this time?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 07:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    You are seriously misinformed and clearly have not used it for more than a couple day, max.
    Everyone, even those who don't like keyboard phones or the phone itself have to admit it's an amazing phone!
    Have you actually used it for more than 5 minutes or even used it at all..?

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    10-08-14 08:15 PM
    I made that suggestion a few days ago. Are you saying I'm brilliant? Lol

Posted via CB10
    And I made the suggestion a week ago! :P

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-08-14 08:16 PM
    This is my first blackberry and I'm using the passport and I love the keyboard! Super easy to use, intuitive and amazingly accurate! But it took me about a week to get used to the square size and the keyboard. Once you get used to it, it's hard to put it down! Lol

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 08:25 PM
    Seems the OP made a mistake in chosing a Passport... That is why I check to see what the return policy ( honeymoon phase ) the vendor I bought it from allows... use the device to its max in that time period and return it if it does not fit the bill..... No matter what others say... any device is personal preference which no review or opinion should infuence.... It is just nice to see BB do something positive for the first time in a long time.... good luck to the OP with whatever the future holds... many of the forum could be of help as there always seem to be workarounds for BB which is why I like the brand so much....
    10-08-14 08:28 PM
    I am just under a week with my Passport. I was nervous at first, but now everything about it feels right. By far the best phone I've ever owned.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 08:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Stop whining, your Blackberry Classic is coming by end of this year. Most of you oldies will appreciate that one.
    10-08-14 08:45 PM
    People say Apple screwed up the new iPhone. Look they sold 10 million already. They didn't screw up one bit. The phone works for those people, similar to this beautiful Passport working great for me. This phone is not for everyone, just like the iPhone is not for me but they are great phones for the people that want them, and this phone is a beast of a phone for everything I need it to do so far.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 09:56 PM
    legion of popular naysayers

Posted via CB10
    I'm stealing this. Legion of Popular Naysayers is my new band name.
    10-08-14 10:16 PM
94 1234