It's difficult for the " demographically challenged " to understand the difference in currency exchange rate and living standard value. For an average UK / US/ Canadian guy 200 $ is hardly 2-5% of their income. While for average indian this amounts to 20-50% of his income.
    So that's where it pinches. Specially when you know after 2yrs the same thing will be of 10% of its value and no carrier support to upgrade. That means this mobile cost plus carrier fees recurring every time you buy a new mobile.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    09-29-14 10:28 AM
    [WARN]
    Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don�t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you�re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won�t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry![/WARN]
    09-29-14 10:35 AM
    Is the price really equal to $835 US? If so, good luck BlackBerry. You are going to need it. That's crazy. I thought $599 was a little high myself.
    No cause it includes taxes whereas the 600$ US price doesn't include taxes

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-29-14 10:47 AM
    No cause it includes taxes whereas the 600$ US price doesn't include taxes

Posted via CB10
    Gee, I forgot about taxes. So after my state taxes this would cost me $637.50. LOL, No thanks.
    09-29-14 10:52 AM
    They could sell it for free and there'd still be this thread...

Posted via CB10
    This. Exactly this.

And what Bla1ze said

Verizon Z30 running 10.3.0.1154 on CB10. My boring channel but has cute Frenchie puppy pics
    tdyhedge, moody, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    09-29-14 10:52 AM
    This. Exactly this.

And what Bla1ze said

Verizon Z30 running 10.3.0.1154 on CB10. My boring channel but has cute Frenchie puppy pics
    What Steel Greek said

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154
    09-29-14 10:57 AM
    Given the higher-than-expected demand, it seems they had 2 options:
    1) Price it low and immediately sell out of the very limited stock, then have everyone complain that they can't get one and their order is backordered and that the launch is failed etc.
    2) Price it high and sell to the early adopters, and have the rest complain about the price.

Of the two options, at least they make some money on the 2nd one. I'm sure the price will drop once more stock is available.
    09-29-14 10:59 AM
    This. Exactly this.

And what Bla1ze said

What Steel Greek said

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154
    What Bla1ze, Thurask, SirJes, Pdinos3 and SteelGreek said...
    09-29-14 11:02 AM
    Is the price really equal to $835 US? If so, good luck BlackBerry. You are going to need it. That's crazy. I thought $599 was a little high myself.
    At roughly Rs. 60 to a dollar, yes. But technological **** is always expensive in India. I know because I am of Indian origin, and I'm always buying crap for my family to take back when they visit the US or I visit India! I remember I was buying an Android phone for someone, the same one that cost them $380 was around $500-600 there.
    bungaboy and lift like this.
    09-29-14 11:05 AM
    I think if BlackBerry paid $100 for people to pick up the passport, we would still have complaints that they should had paid $200

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-29-14 11:11 AM
    I so wanted this and move back to BB. Last I used was 9900 and since then it has either been iPhones or Androids. Currently on Note 3 and this form factor really interested me and brought to think and I was so waiting for the launch. But as I see no one is happy, that includes me. I still wouldn't mind spending the price (50K) it is at now but I am sure no one will feel good that you buy a business class ticket and the passenger next to you is an economy class ticket holder who was upgraded for free. Grrrr. (if you know what I mean)... Learn BB Learn.. Mr Chen. No offense but you are supposed to take this company to greater heights, not deepest pits.
    Last edited by addy37; 09-29-14 at 12:05 PM.
    09-29-14 11:14 AM
    its just a mobile device at the end of the day . And really not worth the price its selling at presently in India.
    09-29-14 11:18 AM
    Such a wonderful thread for the "Armchair CEO" forum. Perhaps they can create a sub-forum, "Armchair Pricing Managers"?
    bungaboy and nappalonia like this.
    09-29-14 11:25 AM
    An item is worth exactly what people are prepared to pay for it.

There are many members here who are stunned that the Passport is selling anywhere at any price.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 11:28 AM
    What Bla1ze, Thurask, SirJes, Pdinos3 and SteelGreek said...
    What tdyhedge, Bla1ze, Thurask, SirJes, Pdinos3 and SteelGreek said

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 11:38 AM
    An item is worth exactly what people are prepared to pay for it.

There are many members here who are stunned that the Passport is selling anywhere at any price.

Posted via CB10
    Very true. Also, Chen made it very clear there would be multiple levels of devices for different consumers.

moody likes this.
    09-29-14 11:46 AM
    This is the same idea as the general population complaining that they can't afford a Lambo Avantadore and that lamborghini priced it at half a million dollars....AND they only made 20 of them.

The Passport is not a gadget designed for those who are concerned about a $200 difference.... It's supposed to be an extravagant, high class device. Those who want it, will need to be prepared to pay for it.

Spend within your means.
    09-29-14 11:59 AM
    As Blaze pointed out Z3 sold well...

If it doesn't fit your budget...it's just for YOU...not for everyone, so please don't be conclusive.
    It did not sell well because the latest quarterly report showed 2.4 million sold which is the same number sold the previous quarter without the Z3
    09-29-14 12:06 PM
    Passport sold out in one day. It can charge what ever it wants. How else can the company be successful unless or charges what a phone is worth. Phone is literally the best phone in the market and the numbers seem to agree. The end
    Sold out because of low inventory and as an analyst said 200K is pretty lame number compared to what the other guys sell in a normal day. You say the number show that it is the best in the market, sorry to rain in your parade but perhaps you should look at what the other guys sold if you use numbers to state which one is the best.
    lift likes this.
    09-29-14 12:13 PM
    Bombay at the moment. Let me check with the dealer if it's an open price or something special for me. He's a childhood friend, I've bought phones on release day for years now.

If its for everyone, I'll post his details here you can call him your self.

I mean, 2 days ago the company told the dealers 40, I'm surprised it's 50 today. Doesn't make sense.

Posted via CB10
    Which dealer, if you don't mind sharing.
    09-29-14 12:14 PM
    The Amazon price actually works out to around Rs. 42 K if you value the Jet miles at Rs. 3,000 which isn't too bad. At an exchange rate of Rs. 61.55 it works to ~ US $ 680 which isn't too different from the US price of US $ 600 + taxes (~$ 40 - $ 50). It'll be interesting to see how many they get to India. Wonder if the stores will have a similar offer too. I'd much rather buy from a store than online but not at such a big price difference.

If the stores don't have any offers then the Rs. 50 K is quite expensive and I'm guessing they'll have a tough time selling too many at least until the Amazon offer continues.

I ho
    09-29-14 12:22 PM
    Everyone here would like blackberry to do well. But we can still complain if we think pricing strategy adopted by blackberry is wrong. I think as consumers in India, we are better qualified to assess the optimum price it should be sold for, atleast in India. Every market is different.

And you all don't have to defend blackberrys decisions this much since you guys were not in charge of pricing it this way.

Everyone needs to chill
    09-29-14 12:28 PM
    This story on Passport just in about pricing and the reason behind it.

This should answer the OP issues

BlackBerry tightens hold over enterprise market with smartphone Passport | Business Line
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-29-14 12:34 PM
    Sold out because of low inventory and as an analyst said 200K is pretty lame number compared to what the other guys sell in a normal day. You say the number show that it is the best in the market, sorry to rain in your parade but perhaps you should look at what the other guys sold if you use numbers to state which one is the best.
    That 200k is strictly online orders and does not include carrier sales. Actual number available was somewhat higher.

And an analyst can say what he wants, but when a company that's been selling less than a million devices a month has a 200k day, that's hardly "lame" by their own standards. Such an analyst is either innocently or wilfully ignorant.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 12:38 PM
    Totally agree with you, we all love BlackBerry but if there is something wrong then it remains wrong

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 12:48 PM
409 ... 34567 ...