01-10-15 02:39 AM
409 12345 ...
tools
    Just pre-ordered mine. Been waiting for a while for the Passport. Those complaining about the price, wait for the iPhone launch, it will be more expensive and will sell like hot cakes. Compared to that it is still better deal. Also thanks to the falling rupee and high taxes, we always end up paying higher for everything.
    Umaima_B_Dia and gvs1341 like this.
    09-29-14 06:47 AM
    Just saw a post yesterday where it was priced at exactly that at Amazon and even higher for some retailers. Is no average consumer phone get over it or anyway. It's just not for me. But I enjoy that it has such a strong support
    Do you think if the passport was priced $850 in US.then they would have been able to sell even 1/4th of that number . If you think so.. then I am afraid you love blackberry too much to see the reality.
    09-29-14 06:53 AM
    Kinda strange, people won't mind buying an Iphone 6 at over 55ks [Premium of $250 when compared to US], Samsung's plasticky phones they are ready to pay 50Ks but as soon as Blackberry prices something aggressively twitter & forums go beserk..

Iphones 5s launched at 55k last november is costing 35k today :O nobody minds.. ..
    09-29-14 07:00 AM
    Sour grapes.

Honestly, I'm happy that they priced it at Rs. 49,990/-

Now, the number of idiots complaining about how some stupid android app doesn't work on the passport will be fewer in number.

Buy it if you can afford it. If not, go get yourself a android or whatever device you're comparing this to.

PS. I'm not going to buy the passport any time soon. Another 5months and my Q10 will turn 6months old, then I might think of a new passport

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Umaima_B_Dia like this.
    09-29-14 07:06 AM
    I guess the pricing in US was just tasting waters. They realised that it's doing good. And true colors are out.
    Also with good sale they are trying to re establish their presence.

Alas... bad price, bad service centres, no accessories,
    And Samsung alpha / Sony 3/ iPhone 6 on the way.

Can we please start a thread speculating the no. Of BlackBerry passport sale in India before the price drop..

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 07:07 AM
    Hey I'm not arguing for or against the pricing. I'm just highlighting the pattern of device announcements. It's interesting that the prices never match what the market expects. Honestly, I was WAITING for this thread to appear. Even the Z3 had a similar thread, yet according to the reports it sold well, so I guess we'll see what side the Passport comes up on.
    I was expecting a 60k price tag for the passport. And I didn't expect BlackBerry to launch this quick in India. Z10, Q10, etc launched here nearly 3 months after the launch in US/Canada. Those devices were sold on ebay here for 50-60k during the period until the official launch here. I expected that scenario again. But BlackBerry did shock me. And 50k is totally worth for this device.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 07:11 AM
    And what if there was only a simple strategy behind that diversity of pricing ?
    Want to make a dent in USA market? Give it the lowest price.
    Target enterprises' fleet of employees? Don't care too much for consumers' market and price it for them like the high end device it is.
    BlackBerry may also have a very limited stock to avoid the former mistake of Z10 and else, and therefore focusing on placing the Passport in business environment that buy massively (consumers can and will wait for it, business needs it or pick another solution)

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 07:11 AM
    I for one think that the price is reasonable for the product and service the potential customers would avail for.
    If you go through the whole article, it also mentions about the coupon for Jet and Amazon worth around 10,000 Rs. Again, it's not my opinion that BlackBerry should give it as an option to customers to go for it or not.
    Otherwise, I think without coupon and such, the original price of Passport reduced to 39,000 is an easy grab and steal for real do-ers and go-ers, considering the specs.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 07:23 AM
    My opinion about Indian consumer market and BlackBerry Passport launch:

BlackBerry fan + Rich = First in queue
    Filthy rich + BlackBerry fan = Not in queue (would have already had someone to deliver it from US)
    Filthy rich + BlackBerry noob = Second in queue
    BlackBerry fan + ?Upper middle class = third
    BlackBerry fan + Economy minded = fourth (when price drops)

BlackBerry fan + ranters = never in line

(Ranters = BlackBerry10 noobs who don't understand the value of passport)?
    09-29-14 07:28 AM
    I guess the pricing in US was just tasting waters. They realised that it's doing good. And true colors are out.
    Also with good sale they are trying to re establish their presence.

Alas... bad price, bad service centres, no accessories,
    And Samsung alpha / Sony 3/ iPhone 6 on the way.

Can we please start a thread speculating the no. Of BlackBerry passport sale in India before the price drop..

Posted via CB10
    I can see lots of predictions and speculations but no facts... How would you speculate the Passport sale...when the country has total population of over 1.2 Billion people. Your speculation won't be anywhere near...especially when all predictions on Passport have already failed...and the device is making waves everywhere its released.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-29-14 07:30 AM
    Everyone it's angry so there is no reasoning with them. But you are considering priced before tax. In the states it is almost $670 after taxes in some states. And in Canada 800 after taxes. Now you guys are paying in essence 100 extra.

Even if it was priced at 40k which would make it cheaper you guys would complain. There is some innovation with the keyboard, it uses some premium materials.

Our friends in the UK always pay extra. They are paying 500 pounds, but they have to pay extra for all electronics. In the end on a 2 year plan they essentially get the phone for free where in north America we have to pay 250+taxes and be tied for 2 years.

Every market is different and has nuances. Would I have liked it to be cheaper sure. But BlackBerry don't hold the resale value so it is what it is.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-29-14 07:32 AM
    Every market is different and has nuances. Would I have liked it to be cheaper sure. But BlackBerry don't hold the resale value so it is what it is.

You are correct in saying that it's market dependent.
    No one is asking BlackBerry to do charity. But when prices go down from 43000 to 35000 then 28000 and now 16000, (reff: Z10 and q10) people understand that how much of profit margin they are charging.
    At least make your stand like Apple and have some reasonable fluctuations. You can charge for premium but making a fool of guy who paid a premium is not right.

P.S : I did not pay any premium price for my z30, got it for 27000

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 08:00 AM
    I not even a bit believe that the device isn't worth 50K. But the situation BlackBerry is in, they really shouldn't be expecting the phone to sell at this price. BlackBerry should accept that reality and wait for their time when they are in a situation to charge that kind of price. We all want BlackBerry to sell passport in good numbers in India as well which is why we think it's difficult to achieve that at this price point.
    09-29-14 08:07 AM
    Today devices are not sold just for hardware. It's more to do with ecosystems along with features etc.

And BlackBerry is last among top 4 OS for ecosystems.

Apps, OS integration, Camera etc count. That's why people buy iphone or an android.

How it runs or delivers is a separate matter.

So far its going to be a big flop in india unless prices go down. At max 40k would have been acceptable.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 08:14 AM
    Kinda strange, people won't mind buying an Iphone 6 at over 55ks [Premium of $250 when compared to US], Samsung's plasticky phones they are ready to pay 50Ks but as soon as Blackberry prices something aggressively twitter & forums go beserk..

Iphones 5s launched at 55k last november is costing 35k today :O nobody minds.. ..
    It's human nature to hate and ridicule anything that is different or out of the norm. You see it all throughout history.

The BlackBerry Passport although received much better then expected, will always be subject to those who can't handle change or difference. These are usually people who are followers and not leaders in there everyday lives. You watch, price will go down eventually in India and the next thing you know some person there will post on how it's the best thing since slice bread and worth every penny!

Look! It's Zedzilla10! ?
    09-29-14 08:29 AM
    I think the price is fair. After all, it's a premium phone. It's not easy selling premium phones in this part of the world. Blackberry can probably do better with carrier tie ups or just offers!

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 08:35 AM
    Today devices are not sold just for hardware. It's more to do with ecosystems along with features etc.

And BlackBerry is last among top 4 OS for ecosystems.

Apps, OS integration, Camera etc count. That's why people buy iphone or an android.

How it runs or delivers is a separate matter.

So far its going to be a big flop in india unless prices go down. At max 40k would have been acceptable.

Posted via CB10
    That's a skewed perception of what's important amongst mobile options.

BlackBerry's of today, not only are far more productive in communications but multimedia consumption and that experience has improved tremendously. What you need apps to do simple tasks are already baked into the BB10 OS

Wake up and smell the coffee bud! If you don't like the price that's one thing, but writing off the phone and Blackberry on clearly superior product, that's just being a hater!

Look! It's Zedzilla10! ?
    bungaboy and Bari Yusuf like this.
    09-29-14 08:36 AM
    Insulting?

I don't think you quite understand the discussion here. A lot of Z10s were sold in India at a very high price tag more expensive than the US. Poor, is your comment.

BTW, Passport is a premium phone targeted at a niche crowd. I think the price may eventually come down.

Yup sorry if you are born poor.

Posted via CB10
    Anubhav Nagpal likes this.
    09-29-14 08:38 AM
    Like there were no threads by Canadians, British or European customers complaining about the price difference and how it's not going to sell.

Yadda yadda yadda
    09-29-14 09:00 AM
    Whine ! Whine ! Whine ! Here come the moaners !!

A comparison of the unlocked passport retail prices from around the world is interesting. Its quite apparent that the India pricing is not atrocious as is being made out here.

649.00 EUR = 50,715.64 INR
    529.00 GBP = 52,882.17 INR
    938.00 SGD = 45,334.03 INR
    2,399.00 MYR= 44,994.90 INR
    2,699.00 AED = 45,253.22 INR
    699.00 CAD = 38,568.70 INR
    599.00 USD = 36,879.96 INR

A similar chart for the iPhone 6 (not plus) 16 GB version unlocked shows (anyone wanna place bets on the official price when this thing shows up in India?):

988.00 SGD = 47,765.66 INR
    539.00 GBP = 53,860.28 INR
    699.00 EUR = 54,635.95 INR
    649.00 USD = 39,977.56 INR
    2,599.00 AED = 43,590.54 INR

Only North American prices are really low compared with other parts of the world. John Chen clearly said on the earnings call that they are focused on margins and that the Passport is priced to make money for BlackBerry. The tax regime in India does not favor lower pricing unless BlackBerry sells it at a loss or even near cost. This is a high-end premium phone with a specific target audience, it is not targeted at end consumers. People who can afford it and value the productivity enhancements that the Passport brings, will buy it. Being productive, by definition, means it excludes those folks who have enough time to come here to whine about the pricing.
    Last edited by ophjacks45; 09-29-14 at 09:18 AM.
    09-29-14 09:02 AM
    And similar threads have been started when Porsche devices are released. Do I cry foul, "BlackBerry, what are you thinking?! This won't sell." No, I say, "I wish I had the money to buy one."

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    09-29-14 09:04 AM
    Well if it's too expensive, BlackBerry does have devices on the lower end! Q5, Z10... get one of those

Posted via CB10
    Tech_Fan_Boy likes this.
    09-29-14 09:07 AM
    Z10 owner was looking to buy passport, but will give it a skip at this price. Surely it will come down and maybe then give it a shot.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 09:20 AM
    WTF! It's too expensive.. Don't worry, just wait for 9-10 months and this will be available for 20,000 INR
    09-29-14 09:28 AM
    The thing is that the pricing there is 36000 INR - if they had kept the same pricing in India, it could've sold (though I think it should be more in the 33k bracket) they're charging 200 USD more in India.

Posted via CB10
    49990 Rupees less 5000 Rupees discount @ .0162 conversion rate = CDN$729.00. Most Canadian carriers are asking for CDN$749.00 unsubsidized. So I don't understand your argument. SMH.
    Buy what you can afford. Passport may not be for people in your class bracket, otherwise you won't be whinning.
    bungaboy and gvs1341 like this.
    09-29-14 09:36 AM
409 12345 ...