Honestly? To use an analogy, a person carrying iPhone 6 is viewed by Indian public is akin to Lindsay Lohan walking in Afghanistan wearing a bikini.

A passport bearer , I think , will definitely be a green alien practising yoga.
    I appreciate the analogy. . Well done.

I was trying to assess if bbry was trying launching above other new devices and/or how much lower they were pricing them.

Posted via CB10
    divyan likes this.
    10-01-14 07:08 AM
    Why is it that so many people think that companies should sell their products at a loss? Some companies can sell devices at a loss and make that money back on services, some companies have an easier time selling devices at a lower price point because they don't spend the same amount of money on R&D (Android devices for example, Google pays the way for Android R&D so device manufacturers save tons of money this way).

I hate to break it to you and the countless other complaining about the Passport price, but BlackBerry isn't in the same position as these other companies. BlackBerry needs to make profits from their handsets or else they won't be manufacturing devices for very much longer. And it's crystal clear that BlackBerry can't sell a ton of devices for a small margin, so they have to sell few devices at a higher margin; get that through your heads.

A bit off topic, but I'm sick and tired of hearing about BlackBerry devices and India. Seriously, it feels like there's 3+ new threads every day fill with complaints about how BlackBerry devices are to expensive for people in India. Listen, Lamborgini and Maseratti manufacture cars that are to expensive for me to justify spending money on, but I do NOT go to forums and complain about the price of these vehicles. If I can afford something and I see enough value in a product, I will purchase it; if I can't afford it but I still see value in a product, I will save or finance it and purchase it and if I can't afford it and do not see value in a product, then I just won't purchase it. Please stop complaining.

Posted via CB10
    I realized and posted. Not complaining now. Please read again what I posted and the reason why we complain...

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 03:56 PM
    I just checked the Amazon India site - the phone is available only as a pre-order with a release date of the 10th. Even so, it's sales rank is #14 out of the top 100 smart phones, and #71 out of all electronics. So much for it not selling in India...
    Agreed. Even I'm surprised myself as the talks are one and the outcome looks different (at least for now). Guess the real picture will come only after it gets circulated in and around.
    10-01-14 05:35 PM
  4. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Great to see that people in India are in fact ordering the amazing Passport from Amazon India for October 10 delivery....

All I can say is... its an amazing phone which has easily replaced my IPhone 5 and z30.....as my go to phone for business and pleasure....

Enjoy...

Posted via CB10
    bhrgvr likes this.
    10-01-14 06:31 PM
    People in the US, Canada and Europe have also complained about the price of the Passport when it was launched.

But I have yet to see a single complaint about the price from anyone who has had the Passport for a few days.
    Doesn't that say something?
    10-01-14 07:16 PM
    Not only with BlackBerry, it happens with many flagships. Small to medium brands are eating their shares. They have to reduce the price or pay the price.

10.3 .0.1052 on bbq5
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    10-01-14 09:25 PM
    I realized and posted. Not complaining now. Please read again what I posted and the reason why we complain...

Posted via CB10
    I know the reason; some people don't want to pay the price but want the device. And the response is still the same, stop complaining. You don't see people complaining because they want an expensive car but don't want to pay the expensive price tag.

Not only with BlackBerry, it happens with many flagships. Small to medium brands are eating their shares. They have to reduce the price or pay the price.

10.3 .0.1052 on bbq5
    Everyone that has bought a Passport disagrees with you. All 200,000+ of them. BlackBerry didn't plan to put out a low cost device and hope for tens of millions of sales with the Passport, they planed on putting out a innovative premium flagship device and sell to those willing to pay.

You need to understand, the Passport is aimed at people willing to pay a premium for a premium device (and the price is still fair for such a premium high-end device!), not for those who penny pinch and aren't willing to spend money to make money.

Posted via CB10
    JG_Agustin likes this.
    10-01-14 09:56 PM

10.3 .0.1052 on bbq5
    No they don't. They can't even keep up with supply they may as well make as much money as they can on it. For once they are making a profit on the hardware division.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    10-02-14 01:20 AM
    I generally try to read all posts on a thread. But this time I'm just going to post with regards to the title. All I have to say is that at least one of my friends in India, with whom I studied a couple of years ago in London, already bought a Passport. He posted his pic on BBM and I honestly felt a bit jealous, but happy to have a friend with a Passport! :P

So at least this shows me that it will attract certain customers, period. Not your average consumer, but rather well established professionals, so stop ranting. If you want it and can afford it, all is said, you'll buy it. It has nothing to do with the country nor the price, these are just excuses of those who generally can't purchase something.

Loved the Q10 but now it's Z30 power time!!!
    Umaima_B_Dia and gvs1341 like this.
    10-02-14 01:50 AM
    The much dreaded price cut has already begun for BlackBerry Passport. N4BB reports a reduction in prices on Amazon Germany by 12%...now that's quite steep discount within just a week of launch.

http://n4bb.com/blackberry-passports...mazon-germany/

Posted via CB10
    chinmay007 and dusdal like this.
    10-02-14 01:52 AM
    ...........already bought a Passport. He posted his pic on BBM and I honestly felt a bit jealous, but happy to have a friend with a Passport! :P

!!!
    Sure. ? in India. ??

Not releasing till 10th October...

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 02:53 AM
    At the end of the day, BlackBerry has marketed this device for a specific segment of the market. That segment can afford the higher price tag. If you're not in that segment but still want the phone, you've got a couple of options:

1. Find a way to come up with the money; or

2. Move along.

BlackBerry is in no position to sell phones at a loss, and the Passport has already shown itself to be doing better than the initial expectation. Pretty much everywhere seems to be paying the same price after taxes and fees ($800ish). I personally paid $841 after taxes because bought it from Telus and got it unlocked for my carrier.

It is what it is, and if you think that BlackBerry is going to tank on the Passport because it's priced outside the realm of affordability for some segments of the market, I only have one thing to say in response:

This isn't the Z10.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    10-02-14 05:48 AM
    At the end of the day, BlackBerry has marketed this device for a specific segment of the market. That segment can afford the higher price tag. If you're not in that segment but still want the phone, you've got a couple of options:

1. Find a way to come up with the money; or

2. Move along.

BlackBerry is in no position to sell phones at a loss, and the Passport has already shown itself to be doing better than the initial expectation. Pretty much everywhere seems to be paying the same price after taxes and fees ($800ish). I personally paid $841 after taxes because bought it from Telus and got it unlocked for my carrier.

It is what it is, and if you think that BlackBerry is going to tank on the Passport because it's priced outside the realm of affordability for some segments of the market, I only have one thing to say in response:

This isn't the Z10.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    Agreed,
    People understand only what they want to understand.... IT WAS DESIGNED FOR PROFESSIONAL SEGMENT in the beginning (BlackBerry don't telle consumers to buy it) . I'm in France and still waiting for French carriers availability. I don't have hope so it will cost me 700euros including shipping and leather protect... so please
    Ps: of course it's because I want a azerty keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails [OPINION] Passport won't sell in india sorry-img-20140918-wa000.jpg  
    10-02-14 07:28 AM
    The much dreaded price cut has already begun for BlackBerry Passport. N4BB reports a reduction in prices on Amazon Germany by 12%...now that's quite steep discount within just a week of launch.

BlackBerry Passport's Price Cut on Amazon Germany | N4BB

Posted via CB10
    It was most likely an error or just temporary. I almost ordered one until I realized that it was QWERTZ and not QWERTY. It's back up to normal price. Business as usual. It's also #3 in unlocked phones on Amazon Germany.

BlackBerry Passport Smartphone 4,5 Zoll schwarz: Amazon.de: Elektronik
    10-02-14 09:27 AM
    10-02-14 11:09 AM
    I'm under impression from all Passport pricing threads, that Passport is priced reasonably in US, more like Lexus than Lamborgini if you like this analogies.
    I, don't have problem with $599 + vat. I just don't want to pay it more. Guess its problem with all who complain.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 12:16 PM
    Send the unsold stock back! I can't find one anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    gokulesh likes this.
    10-02-14 12:19 PM
    Sure. ? in India. ??

Not releasing till 10th October...

Posted via CB10
    I don't know where he bought it, but he is from India and lives in India currently (I could even tell you where he works, but that's not the point). I did ask him and he confirmed he has it.

Perhaps he ordered it online. As I said, if you want something and can afford it, you'll find a way to get it as soon as you can.

10-02-14 12:43 PM

BlackBerry Passport's Price Cut on Amazon Germany | N4BB
    Posted via CB10
    Really? Does anyone take the time to check their facts before they post? Your post indicates no.

10-02-14 12:52 PM
    Really? Does anyone take the time to check their facts before they post? Your post indicates no.

Well, to be fair--his source is N4BB after all. Fact checking is not their forte. Or interest.
    Elite1 likes this.
    10-02-14 12:57 PM
    I don't know where he bought it, but he is from India and lives in India currently (I could even tell you where he works, but that's not the point). I did ask him and he confirmed he has it.

Perhaps he ordered it online. As I said, if you want something and can afford it, you'll find a way to get it as soon as you can.

Hmmmmm... we have a fanboy. . good for him.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 12:57 PM
    Hmmmmm... we have a fanboy. . good for him.

Posted via CB10
    You seem jealous or upset about it...

10-02-14 01:12 PM

N4BB included a screenshot of the Passport at the lower price in their article, so it's not a question of fact checking. They saw pricing news, photographed it, and reported it. That is exactly what they should have done.

It seems that Amazon raised the price after the screenshot photo was taken. Amazon is, of course, free to change prices however and whenever they please, which is what appears to have happened here when they raised the price back to normal. No need to blame anyone here.

With respect to Passport price and sales dynamics, there is a strong sign that sales are slowing down markedly here in the USA. With AT&T not selling the Passport (and rumors that it won't offer the Passport until next year), and with BlackBerry.com on backorder, the only seller in stock of Passports is Amazon.com. Despite that Amazon is the only seller in stock and that they are offering the Passport at best-in-world USA launch price of $599, the Passport has already fallen from #1 best seller phone on the site to #15. This lack of sales momentum is the first step to prices dropping.

[OPINION] Passport won't sell in india sorry-img_20141002_162828.png

Z-30 / STA100-5 / 10.3.0.1154 / T-Mobile USA
    10-02-14 05:52 PM
    it has dropped but was not avail to order for almost a week.

and in the states only people purchasing the phone are the ones that know about it. do momentum will die down until a carrier gets it and there is marketing.

not everyone will buy a phone outright. in North America a lot of devices are sold on a subsidy
    10-03-14 04:55 PM
    And to add to the agony, discount on shopblackberry.com too...people reporting huge 25% discount and getting theirs at USD 449. Seriously considering cancelling my preorder on amazon India for now and wait for a month or so...

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 09:31 PM
409 ... 7891011 ...