Why can't they just do away with the offers and reduce the MOP by 10k...

P.S.: JP Miles cost Rs 1.25/mile+service tax when purchased from airline. So that's 6k+ value we are talking about.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 12:50 PM
    We have the device launch and review news from Indias most read English news paper.

BlackBerry Passport preview: Overpriced and awkward to use - http://toi.in/QObgFZ

Regarding price they are correct, but they have lot of negative points on the device as well.Again BlackBerry gave these media a good reason to bash them(staggering price) considering their past records of device pricing in india.

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    09-29-14 12:52 PM
    Everyone here would like blackberry to do well. But we can still complain if we think pricing strategy adopted by blackberry is wrong. I think as consumers in India, we are better qualified to assess the optimum price it should be sold for, atleast in India. Every market is different.

And you all don't have to defend blackberrys decisions this much since you guys were not in charge of pricing it this way.

Everyone needs to chill
    I think it's more the way consumers in India complain rather then the complaint itself. You folks come across like you're owed something from BlackBerry and they wronged you!

The company is moving into a profitable stage, something they haven't seen in years. It was only a matter of time before what they consider a flagship device, be priced in line with other flagship products.

Bottomline, the phone and its pricing isn't for everyone. If folks can't afford it, then maybe the phone shouldn't be a priority in life!

Look! It's Zedzilla10! ?
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-29-14 12:55 PM
    Its little generalized statement when you say "you guys".
    forget it. Point is "yes " indians are price conscious. Which is not wrong.
    But there is a lot of difference in the way Telcom business runs in india and western countries.
    The day you buy a mobile its value is automatically depreciated officially. And the track record of last 2 "flagship" blackberry models is not right. Reducing the price to the dearth of 70% does not leave any place for trust. And when they practically offering 10 + 5 thousand worth of store credit / airline miles it shows that the prices will go down later.

Or may be the reason you guys are defending the current price so much is because it will look foolish to see the prices go down on already bought Passports..
    09-29-14 01:08 PM
    BB should offer EMI pricing with Indian credit card companies like Samsung did with the S5 so customers can pay off the phone in monthly installments. You could probably double the sales that way.
    09-29-14 01:25 PM
    BB should offer EMI pricing with Indian credit card companies like Samsung did with the S5 so customers can pay off the phone in monthly installments. You could probably double the sales that way.
    Almost all Indian credit cards have the EMI option already. So why should you want BlackBerry to do anything about that?

Posted via CB10
    chinmay007 and spikesolie like this.
    09-29-14 01:26 PM
    Or may be the reason you guys are defending the current price so much is because it will look foolish to see the prices go down on already bought Passports..
    I don't think most people are defending pricing in India, we just sort think this thread, which is repeating the same thing over and over ad nauseam, is stupid. I think we -- who BTW have no control over BBerry pricing -- got the point. So..?
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-29-14 01:36 PM
    Almost all Indian credit cards have the EMI option already. So why should you want BlackBerry to do anything about that?

Posted via CB10
    Ah I didn't realize it was available for any phone model. In any case advertise it with some extra benefits like device buyback or accessories for retail store sale. The Amazon extras for preorder online are pretty good too: with extras its closer to the S5 price and I bet the Note4 will be the Passport level pricing.
    09-29-14 01:39 PM
    Well, if you find the Passport price too high, you'll actually have only a few options:

1. Wait for the price to come down.
    2. Don't buy it, get something else.
    3. Ask someone to ship one from another country.
    4. Move (or travel) to another country where the price is cheaper.
    5. Get it as a gift or kiss your boss' a...
    6. Name your child John Chen an ask JC to be its sugar daddy or sugar Passport daddy.
    7. Rob a store (not recommended)
    8. Die and therefore no more worries about anything (not recommended, unless you're a politician)
    9. Stop complaining, there are people dying from hunger, not from not getting/having the Passport (yet)
    10. Let your imagination free
    09-29-14 01:44 PM
    Ah I didn't realize it was available for any phone model. In any case advertise it with some extra benefits like device buyback or accessories for retail store sale. The Amazon extras for preorder online are pretty good too: with extras its closer to the S5 price and I bet the Note4 will be the Passport level pricing.
    To avail emi, all you have to do is call up your CC customer care after making the purchase. Then you can choose from their options for 3/6/9 months emi.

Posted via CB10
    So, the fact that they sold 200k units in a matter of hours on launch last week doesn't lead you to think there's some demand for something different?
    Your confusing an enterprise device with consumer logic. Apple sold 10M iPhone 6's at their launch, so no, I don't think there is a demand for something different. I truly believe the 200K number is from rabid fanboys, very tiny number of the 200K, and a lot of business that will test the device, before ordering in bulk. Consumers will not purchase this device, they are already locked up with Apple or Android... numbers don't lie...
    The Amazon price actually works out to around Rs. 42 K if you value the Jet miles at Rs. 3,000 which isn't too bad. At an exchange rate of Rs. 61.55 it works to ~ US $ 680 which isn't too different from the US price of US $ 600 + taxes (~$ 40 - $ 50). It'll be interesting to see how many they get to India. Wonder if the stores will have a similar offer too. I'd much rather buy from a store than online but not at such a big price difference.

If the stores don't have any offers then the Rs. 50 K is quite expensive and I'm guessing they'll have a tough time selling too many at least until the Amazon offer continues.

I ho
    With an amex card, you get an additional 10% discount if you shop online at Amazon. The additional 10% is also for shopping vouchers at Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 01:51 PM
    earlier there was a similar thread about why Z3 will fail in XYZ country and similar sentiments bolstered on India launch with respect to pricing. Now that BBP has launched bickering bridge has again launched the missive without considering the tax and levies are beyond control over Blackberry. Agreed they missed the G spot of masses by 10-12 grand (going by average expectations) and continued their dalliance with select prosumers; it is hardly a reason to whack Blackberry. As a corporate they have done their due diligence and came up with a price knowing damn well that this device is NOT meant to do particularly well in let say, Haiti or Mongolia or xyz country for that matter in spite of wailing BB Fans wanting lower prices based upon their rationale and reasoning.
    It is of no consequence to Blackberry; in the big picture how few disgruntled BB lovers personally feel about their budgeting or finance arrangements. Given that there is world of difference between a a middle level exec in USA and a guy working on upper middle exec level in India because their earning pattern will not not match even if the India exec is firmly at 'upper' level; but this chasm exist for whole lot of life pattern, why single out passport and BB over anomalies?
    As for people crying buckets over diminished value of over priced z10, look around and you will notice z30 retains much of its value even today. You paid for what it said on the tin can, not that Blackberry cheated anyone by asking 40+ grand and delivered an unbranded gold copy of vertu to you.
    For this price even I am holding on from pre booking unless i see the device in real and feel it in my hand before committing to pay up. Ok I was expecting the best price of passport about 43-45. But at 50 for me, its almost there. Am neither a frequent flyer nor do I carry Amex card so I will loose on the amazon offers and pay 50 eventually, but it gives me no right to start whacking about on Blackberry like a headless chicken and lump my personal tirade as countrywide phenomena.
    Last edited by HereticHermit; 09-30-14 at 08:10 AM.
    bungaboy, divyan and Prem WatsApp like this.
    09-29-14 01:53 PM
    To avail emi, all you have to do is call up your CC customer care after making the purchase. Then you can choose from their options for 3/6/9 months emi.

Posted via CB10
    From what I've read the S5 launch had EMI pricing of 18 months using HDFC. Was that a special partnership and if so why can't BB do this?
    09-29-14 01:54 PM
    Then you should watch this video

09-29-14 02:19 PM
    What most of you don't get is that the passport is a device specifically designed for professionals or power users. It is assumed that they can afford it. The passport does not replace every other BlackBerry 10 device but it provides an option.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 02:20 PM
    Ok... I've read almost 150 posts of nonsense and have lost 15-20 minutes of my valuable life which I'll never regain. But before I go back to my waiting room thread where there is just as many rambling posts, let me say this:

So it's the OP's opinion that the Passport won't sell in India? BUMMER!

Now we can all move on... Cheers!

Via my simply amazing ? Q10 10.3.0.1154
    qmendiv, moody, gvs1341 and 1 others like this.
    09-29-14 02:46 PM
    Ok... I've read almost 150 posts of nonsense and have lost 15-20 minutes of my valuable life which I'll never regain. But before I go back to my waiting room thread where there is just as many rambling posts, let me say this:

So it's the OP's opinion that the Passport won't sell in India? BUMMER!

Now we can all move on... Cheers!

Via my simply amazing ? Q10 10.3.0.1154
    Lol

Addicted to Z30
    moody likes this.
    09-29-14 02:48 PM
    Buy what you can afford. The price in India is comparative to the Canadian price without subsidy.
    Or better yet, go and buy an iPhone 6 because that price may be justifiable to you.
    Somehow I suspect the average disposable income in India is not quite the same as it is in Canada.
    lift likes this.
    09-29-14 02:49 PM
    Today devices are not sold just for hardware. It's more to do with ecosystems along with features etc.

And BlackBerry is last among top 4 OS for ecosystems.

Apps, OS integration, Camera etc count. That's why people buy iphone or an android.

How it runs or delivers is a separate matter.

So far its going to be a big flop in india unless prices go down. At max 40k would have been acceptable.

Posted via CB10

Like it has been said - if you are poor and can't afford one buy an Android and let the rest of us that don't mind paying full price for it enjoy our devices. I bought mine at $800.00 CDN to try knowing I have 15 days to return it but after using it for 5 days there is no way I'm returning it and even it was $900.00 I would still buy it. I am a user of several phones (iPhone 5s, Samsung Galaxy S5, HTC One M8, Galaxy Note 3, BB Z10, BB Z30) and I can tell you this is by far the best phone I have ever used. It did take a few days to get use to the keyboard but once I got use to it there is no way in h**l that you can pry that sucker away from my hands.

BTW - This is coming from someone that bashed the Passport from the 1st day I saw pictures of it and I recall posting things like how I thought it was the ugliest phone I've ever seen. LOL
    Last edited by buwee; 09-29-14 at 03:26 PM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-29-14 02:50 PM
    Sold out because of low inventory and as an analyst said 200K is pretty lame number compared to what the other guys sell in a normal day. You say the number show that it is the best in the market, sorry to rain in your parade but perhaps you should look at what the other guys sold if you use numbers to state which one is the best.
    How can you compare it that way? Yes, these numbers are lame compared to Apple and Samsung but these numbers are great for Blackberry. It's like saying Ferrari's, Maserati's only sold x which is lame compared to Apple's & Samsung's who sold xxx so does that mean a Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic is better than a Ferrari or a Maserati? LOL
    09-29-14 03:02 PM
    Once my initial reaction from this morning died, I realised there's nothing wrong with the pricing.. I drew similarities with my own start-up on how we are trying to create disruptions in the market with doing something unusual amidst traditional food industry in India and charge a premium for it, why should BlackBerry not charge premium for their Passport for doing the same thing?

I stopped ranting thereafter. I am hoping I am able to buy the Passport soon!

I have updated investment deck of my start-up and have started to push it quicker to investors to fund us. Hoping to secure Series A soon so that I can celebrate it with buying a Passport.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    09-29-14 03:10 PM
    The pricing is ok. The S5 when launched was priced at Rs 51,000 ($825). Samsung just promoed better installment payment options and device buybacks which BB should also do to make it accessible to the upper middle class Indian consumer. I'd expect the Note4 to be priced higher than both the Passport or S5.
    09-29-14 03:16 PM
    I just love the pricing that BlackBerry did for the Passport in India.
    Why? = the steeper the initial price + loyalists not buying or most of them (due to no good resale value later) + pent up stocks = higher reductions in price "soooooon"!
    Waited so long for the Passport, some more days or months wouldn't kill me, and keep my Bank balance happy too :P lmao

Posted via CB10
    neel69 likes this.
    09-29-14 03:23 PM
    Kinda strange, people won't mind buying an Iphone 6 at over 55ks [Premium of $250 when compared to US], Samsung's plasticky phones they are ready to pay 50Ks but as soon as Blackberry prices something aggressively twitter & forums go beserk..

Iphones 5s launched at 55k last november is costing 35k today :O nobody minds.. ..
    You are partly correct. All companies seem to drop the price before they launch their successor. All, except BlackBerry. They seem to clock a different cycle. Within a span of 6 months they decrease the price quoting it as a limited time offer, and it stays on to further see more cuts in the price. And guess what! That cycle is yet to complete another year!

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 03:25 PM
409 ... 45678 ...