C|Net is talking our of their arses. Read the full article where it says no pricing information was given to them, nor a firm release date.

Don't trust a tech writer that says the Passports battery is the same as the Z30...

Posted via CB10
    Or compares it to the Z30 and says it's the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    07-29-14 05:42 PM
    I've found the articles about the Passport to be rather similar.

First is the "OMG what were they thinking".
    Second is the "wow, interesting, but I'll reserve judgment "
    Followed by, "this might actually be ok, can't wait to try it".
    I'm hoping the next round is "better than expected."

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck and DYLANHABKIRK like this.
    07-29-14 05:48 PM
    I've found the articles about the Passport to be rather similar.

First is the "OMG what were they thinking".
    Second is the "wow, interesting, but I'll reserve judgment "
    Followed by, "this might actually be ok, can't wait to try it".
    I'm hoping the next round is "better than expected."

Posted via CB10
    Haha, yes, I've noticed the same thing. It's a good sign.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-29-14 06:18 PM
    I think the mentality these days is everyone is after a bargain. There are also a few people that may pay over the odds for devices. Manufacturers cannot win sometimes but they are also not that stupid when it comes to price market and they are certainly not running a handset out at a loss otherwise why produce anything.

Samsung and Apple have profit margins to go much, much lower in price but they don't because people are stupid enough to keep paying.
    BlackBerry have no room in the profit box so they have to hit the target point just right and they will have thought this through I'm sure even if I am one of the very few that still hold faith in the company. It's not just the price of the passport and to a degree the classic it's also the timely release of the handsets.

You hit the release of the passport around the time of the iPhone 6 you'll struggle, do it after well then the bubble has burst and most have spent their hard earned cash on the iPhone 6. Do it before and we hit the reluctance bracket where money will be burning a hole in the pocket with customers opting to 'wait and see and hold out'.

It's a cruel world out there but at least I can hold my hand up and say BlackBerry are still playing the game.
    07-29-14 06:56 PM
    I don't get it, people want a device that's built and designed impeccably and yet they don't want to pay for it. I guess BlackBerry could pull a Samsung and Apple and build the same phone over and over again. Perhaps they could build it out of plastic or other second rate materials and still get away with charging a fortune for it? Yeah, that sounds like a plan!
    Kimberella likes this.
    07-29-14 06:58 PM
    I think it's a very good sign. The z10 was doomed from the start. All you heard was that there were no apps. Buggy OS. Nothing really innovative. Media kept saying the hub was "nice" but for the same money just buy a proven commodity.

Those things have been addressed for the most part. If the media will come out positively and the pricing is competitive (key) it should be successful. Not Samsung or IPhone success but sales above market and BlackBerry's expectations. Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Q10orDeath likes this.
    07-29-14 07:22 PM
    I think it's a very good sign. The z10 was doomed from the start. All you heard was that there were no apps. Buggy OS. Nothing really innovative. Media kept saying the hub was "nice" but for the same money just buy a proven commodity.

Those things have been addressed for the most part. If the media will come out positively and the pricing is competitive (key) it should be successful. Not Samsung or IPhone success but sales above market and BlackBerry's expectations. Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, the CNET and ZDNET articles were actually positive, pointing out that even the app gap seems to be addressed with the Amazon partnership. Those two outlets were some of the biggest Blackberry critics over the years.

07-29-14 11:24 PM
    Yup, the CNET and ZDNET articles were actually positive, pointing out that even the app gap seems to be addressed with the Amazon partnership. Those two outlets were some of the biggest Blackberry critics over the years.

The CNET article "weird & fat"... is not entirely positive at all, and still comments on lack of apps.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 10:02 AM
    I didn't read any of the responses but I disagree with the post. The last thing BlackBerry wants to do with a flagship phone is undercut others.

BlackBerry needs to maintain a premium image especially if they are refocusing on the business market.
    This phone is a high tech, secure and expensive phone that is for the elite and prestigious (you know what I mean). I don't want a heavy phone, but too light is a mistake too.

I don't disagree with BlackBerry offering cheaper models. This was a move to try and recapture a larger piece of the pie. But BlackBerry knows that of all the makers, their phones are seen less as "toys" and they want and need that image. If they could, their low end phone would still be an expensive albeit affordable one.

BlackBerry would do better for their image if they sold less Passports at a higher price than more at a cheaper price. They just happen to be in a position where they have to balance between the two, which they def would not like to be in.

You know you have too much love for a company when you don't want them to lower a pricetag.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    07-30-14 12:00 PM
    Everybody here knows the passport will not be cheap. In fact it will be price around the same as an iphone or galaxy and thats why it will fail. Don't get me wrong. I'm a former blackberry user looking forward to try bb10. But thats the reality here. Blackberry still lack behind android and ios in terms of apps. People will always prefer a galaxy or iphone if it cost the same as the passport. That's why they need to get their price right at the begining, otherwise it will be a flop, another to the list.

Do you want it or not?

If no, go get sh!tsung.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 12:06 PM
    BlackBerry will be committing suicide if it drops the price on the Passport and Classic models to consistent with a "lesser" phone.

That would be the nail in the coffin and I rather watch BlackBerry go out with their head held high than look like desperate idiots.
    You might luck out down the road if these phone doesn't pan out for them.

I've never taken business or marketing classes but seriously people? I'm questioning the age of some of you. You might to accept the fact that this phone will be out of your grasp

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    07-30-14 12:09 PM
    BlackBerry will be committing suicide if it drops the price on the Passport and Classic models to consistent with a "lesser" phone.

That would be the nail in the coffin and I rather watch BlackBerry go out with their head held high than look like desperate idiots.
    You might luck out down the road if these phone doesn't pan out for them.

I've never taken business or marketing classes but seriously people? I'm questioning the age of some of you. You might to accept the fact that this phone will be out of your grasp

Posted via CB10
    Oh! Oh! I have an idea! They should price and market this for the 1%. If they plate it in gold and encrust it in diamonds they will have a winner. Blackberry should send a message. Up yours 99%, we are elite!

Great idea, no?

Seriously, it's comments like yours that make me genuinely wonder if you know anything about business. Reality check, pricing lower than top tier does not make your devices "cheap and unattractive". Pricing, while important, is just one dimension of a product strategy.

07-30-14 01:02 PM
    Oh! Oh! I have an idea! They should price and market this for the 1%. If they plate it in gold and encrust it in diamonds they will have a winner. Blackberry should send a message. Up yours 99%, we are elite!

Great idea, no?

Seriously, it's comments like yours that make me genuinely wonder if you know anything about business. Reality check, pricing lower than top tier does not make your devices "cheap and unattractive". Pricing, while important, is just one dimension of a product strategy.

Oh God please stop talking. You want to hack the price down on an unreleased premium phone that is supposed to be the flagship. Did we ever talk percentiles? Nope? Ok thanks.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 01:09 PM

Great idea, no?

And you're correct. It doesn't make them cheap, but it certainly gives the image. I guess BlackBerry could just advertise "not cheap or unnattractive" as their slogan. Cause it's that easy to reach and appeal to consumers.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 01:13 PM
    Oh right guys. To give you an example. The flagship nokia lumia was priced 50 dollars less than the galaxy and iphone when it came out. Does that mean it was inferior? Definitely not. They attracted more customers and surpassed blackberry. That should be the strategy here. Ford left blackberries and now with IBM Apple partnership others will. So, what's the point of business customers? They need a strategy and get things right.

07-31-14 09:58 PM
    I don't care I'll buy it anyway.

[OPINION] Passport pricing could be possible fail-20140731083716.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by vvvhhh8; 08-06-14 at 06:44 AM.
    08-01-14 01:29 AM
    I have not see any marketing about this (US) outside from c rack berry and BlackBerry emails. Nobody really knows about this other than BlackBerry fans or someone who searches up BlackBerry. This phone needs to be priced 499.99. Yes it's a premium phone but let's remember apple and Samsung are the kings right now and if BlackBerry wants their pie back they better not try to be an apple because apple could literally release a pile of turd and millions would still be sold. I mean the 5c was considered a flop and in sure it sold better tja. All BlackBerry devices combined. BlackBerry be smart especially for a new concept that everyone might not be on to.
    08-01-14 04:19 AM
    I have not see any marketing about this (US) outside from c rack berry and BlackBerry emails. Nobody really knows about this other than BlackBerry fans or someone who searches up BlackBerry. This phone needs to be priced 499.99. Yes it's a premium phone but let's remember apple and Samsung are the kings right now and if BlackBerry wants their pie back they better not try to be an apple because apple could literally release a pile of turd and millions would still be sold. I mean the 5c was considered a flop and in sure it sold better tja. All BlackBerry devices combined. BlackBerry be smart especially for a new concept that everyone might not be on to.
    C rack berry seriously?
    08-01-14 04:52 AM
    I think it won't cheaper than 700$, it doesn't made in China like others

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 06:13 AM
    Everybody here knows the passport will not be cheap. In fact it will be price around the same as an iphone or galaxy and thats why it will fail. Don't get me wrong. I'm a former blackberry user looking forward to try bb10. But thats the reality here. Blackberry still lack behind android and ios in terms of apps. People will always prefer a galaxy or iphone if it cost the same as the passport. That's why they need to get their price right at the begining, otherwise it will be a flop, another to the list.

I think the new strategy is to dominate a lucrative, prosumer niche. Generally speaking, it may be true that at the same price point most consumers would purchase the iPhone or Android device because they work well for most users and have a good library of consumer applications, but BlackBerry will offer devices that offer distinct benefits for prosumers. Far better input, PIM, call quality, security, integrated messaging across platforms, blend for integration with almost all devices when traveling as well as work and home setups, etc. To most people, this would be cool, but might not matter much in terms of their buying decision, but for prosumers, BlackBerry's Passport offering may be worth much, much more than a Galaxy 3 or iPhone 5s. At least that's the idea.

Does this mean that the Passport, if successful will increase BlackBerry's overall marketshare by a bunch? Nope. Most users would probably chose the iPhone 6 over the Passport no matter how cheap the Passport is, but the prosumers niche isn't most users. BlackBerry is planning on selling fewer Passports for more money to people who would pay more for its unique functionality. Your proposal of cutting the price probably wouldn't result in a big difference in sales because it's not a general consumer device; but it would result in lower profits for BlackBerry. Doesn't make sense to try to sell this device in price to consumers who want all touch slate devices. Release a Z50 with top specs and cut the price on *that* if you want to gain marketshare and rack up sales figures at the expense of lower margins.

Just my 2 cents...

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 06:35 AM
    Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 08:04 AM
    Amazon fire phone is priced 649 for 32 gb and 749 for 64 gb. Same price as high end devices.Mayor Flop. Even amazon fans are not buying it. Reason? Apps and price. Thank you.

08-04-14 02:29 PM
    And how well is the Nokia Lumia Flagship doing versus iPhone and Galaxy?

Oh right guys. To give you an example. The flagship nokia lumia was priced 50 dollars less than the galaxy and iphone when it came out. Does that mean it was inferior? Definitely not. They attracted more customers and surpassed blackberry. That should be the strategy here. Ford left blackberries and now with IBM Apple partnership others will. So, what's the point of business customers? They need a strategy and get things right.

08-04-14 02:46 PM
    Amazon fire phone is priced 649 for 32 gb and 749 for 64 gb. Same price as high end devices.Mayor Flop. Even amazon fans are not buying it. Reason? Apps and price. Thank you.

Let's not forget that the Fire phone brings nothing new to the table. The Kindle Fire tablet was priced very competitively, and it was pretty attractive (almost identical to the PlayBook, in fact). The Fire phone has no character physically and its main distinction is a questionable visual gimmick.
    08-04-14 02:53 PM
    1. Passport is new, unique and is being marketed pretty well for a BlackBerry

2. We now have android apps that'll run just like on an Android phone because the passport has amazing specs

People will buy this and understand that BlackBerry is good. Some will switch and tell their friends how good it is and then they'll probably switch to bb

Posted via CB10
    "marketing" what marketing? you state that this is unique and being marketed pretty well for a BB, i have seen no marketing what so ever just forums and bits and pieces of leaked photos and BB leaks showing folks handling it thats not marketing. I think the device will do great if priced correctly it should not be priced like its established like the galaxy or iPhones only because its new and has not and we do not know whats stable here as far as software to throw in we have android apps is also not great BB needs to focus on their OS and it shouldn't be about side loading just my opinion. I will get one when it comes out i just hope its not jank when it comes to software as BB makes great devices. And not all android apps work well with the current BB OS.
    08-04-14 04:09 PM
141 ... 3456