Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get a few opinions here. I currently have a DTEK50 (before which I had a 9900). I want to go back to a physical keyboard, but the KEYone is too expensive for me at the moment, and I was therefore considering a passport - at least until 2020 when BlackBerry stops support for the os10

All I need the phone for is calls, email, Web browsing, reading and maybe some editing of text documents, Whatsapp, twitter (not necessary but would be cool) and spotify.
    As I understand it, it is possible to install Whatsapp and spotify using apks on the passport. So this should not be a real problem.

Considering what I need as mentioned above, it would be really helpful if someone who has used any of these apps or functions on a passport could give me their opinion.

Thank you ever so much,
    Ta_si
    04-19-18 08:13 AM
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get a few opinions here. I currently have a DTEK50 (before which I had a 9900). I want to go back to a physical keyboard, but the KEYone is too expensive for me at the moment, and I was therefore considering a passport - at least until 2020 when BlackBerry stops support for the os10

All I need the phone for is calls, email, Web browsing, reading and maybe some editing of text documents, Whatsapp, twitter (not necessary but would be cool) and spotify.
    As I understand it, it is possible to install Whatsapp and spotify using apks on the passport. So this should not be a real problem.

Considering what I need as mentioned above, it would be really helpful if someone who has used any of these apps or functions on a passport could give me their opinion.

Thank you ever so much,
    Ta_si
    For email and texting and document editing, you should be fine.

If you depend on any apps like WhatsApp or Spotify, then I would be careful as the Android apps could stop working at any time.

The native web browser is deprecating very quickly, and you will probably end up having to use an Android browser which is not exactly an elegant solution - but doable.
    04-19-18 08:15 AM
    If you're going to spend the money on Passport then you might as well buy a PRIV for your app needs.

Pretend for a moment that identical OS. How much older is the Passport hardware? The battery, the keys, then ask which software has been supported better? Pretend they're same OS but Passport is earlier version.

Would you buy a BBOS or BB10 device three years ago, needing specific apps, not very many but specific apps that were supported officially via single OS in your choice of two?

I'm not proponent of the PRIV at this late date. I'd suggest you save your money for a KEYone when it drops in price after KEYtwo release. But if you're going to spend Passport cash, it's better spent on PRIV in your specific use scenario.
    04-19-18 08:27 AM
    If I was you I'd keep using the dtek50 until you can afford a keyone because as great as the passport hardware is your essentially beating the dead horse and I feel like you'll regret it, the new keytwo will be out soon and the price of the keyone will drop never mind the price you'll be able to get it for second hand/refurbed.
    04-19-18 08:33 AM
    What is your location and budget ? One can find very decent deals on used KEYone's these days and even more so as time goes on.

Try eBay, Craigslist etc...You may find a nice used/refurbished model for 250-280 mark, where as a Passport would be cheaper but as Conite said, WhatsApp and Spotify apk's can stop at any moment so that may really be frustrating when that day comes.
    04-19-18 08:39 AM
    Thanks for the quick replies guys. The consensus seems to be to hold off of buying the passport. I am not a big fan of the slider, so I guess I will just hold on to the DTEK for now and get a KEYone later. I find it quite a shame really, that the passport future is so bleak, especially since here at 119euros it is cheaper than most new (lower end) phones!
    04-19-18 08:45 AM
    Thanks for the quick replies guys. The consensus seems to be to hold off of buying the passport. I am not a big fan of the slider, so I guess I will just hold on to the DTEK for now and get a KEYone later. I find it quite a shame really, that the passport future is so bleak, especially since here at 119euros it is cheaper than most new (lower end) phones!
    The low price shows its reduced useful life expectancy. You'll have your KEYone soon enough.
    Marcus R likes this.
    04-19-18 08:49 AM
    The low price shows its reduced useful life expectancy. You'll have your KEYone soon enough.
    Well I hope blackberry hurries up with the new phone then, I admit I am getting a little impatient with the DTEK
    04-19-18 09:08 AM
    Ull regret it if you go for the passport and then it becomes unusable in a year, I got my refurbed keyone for about £260 and now I could probs get one for £230 and it's only been around a month or 2, so the price drop is only gonna get quicker ahah. Be patient aha, I waited a year to get it rather than getting something cheaper and I'm very glad I did.
    ta_si likes this.
    04-19-18 09:12 AM
    Not the best decision but understandable. I actually just added another Classic to my BB10 list.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-18 07:35 PM
    For email and texting and document editing, you should be fine.

If you depend on any apps like WhatsApp or Spotify, then I would be careful as the Android apps could stop working at any time.

The native web browser is deprecating very quickly, and you will probably end up having to use an Android browser which is not exactly an elegant solution - but doable.
    I think the OP should get the passport, IF the Whatsapp & Spotify apps are not high on the requirement list.

I have both a Priv & a blackberry q10.
    The priv is a nice phone but it has a large problem with it, namely android, which I can't stand .
    There is something about having a real blackberry OS if you value productivity.

As far as web browsing the native browser is not aging well but third party blackberry apps like Browsie Browser still work rather good for me and lucky for the OP are now free to download.
    04-20-18 03:35 AM
  12. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    Passport is the best device. I hope blackberry will make PP 2

Posted via CB10
    04-20-18 07:40 AM
    I think the OP should get the passport, IF the Whatsapp & Spotify apps are not high on the requirement list.

I have both a Priv & a blackberry q10.
    The priv is a nice phone but it has a large problem with it, namely android, which I can't stand .
    There is something about having a real blackberry OS if you value productivity.

As far as web browsing the native browser is not aging well but third party blackberry apps like Browsie Browser still work rather good for me and lucky for the OP are now free to download.
    Spotify is not that high a priority, but Whatsapp is - for some reason most people are only using Whatsapp . It was the reason I moved on from my bold 9900
    04-20-18 12:16 PM
    Hello,

I'm a current Passport user, but even I couldn't really recommend getting a Passport today (a while back I would have). That end of 2019 date is starting to feel REALLY close.
    04-20-18 02:05 PM
    First off, I believe that too many are reading the message from Blackberry regarding the lack of guaranteed support: for BB10 after 31/12/19 as :the day BB10 will stop working. It is not. It is simply notice from BB that they will not support it any longer. Big difference.

-Yes, it's degrading fast and doesn't have much of a future, but: that's another' argument.

Second, for the right: price (150-200 USD in my mind) the Passport: is a great phone. Still rock sold in build quality and functions mostly as intended. 2 years of daily use from a $200 Passport is well worth: it to me.

Send from my Blackberry Passport somewhere in space.
    05-13-18 12:51 AM
    If you like it
    Buy it!

It is that easy especially for you because the passport ist able to fulfil your needs you mentioned here. In some cases with a workaround or an android app ... but it will.

The passport is simply a matter of taste

Posted via CB10
    05-13-18 01:53 AM
    First off, I believe that too many are reading the message from Blackberry regarding the lack of guaranteed support: for BB10 after 31/12/19 as :the day BB10 will stop working. It is not. It is simply notice from BB that they will not support it any longer. Big difference.

-Yes, it's degrading fast and doesn't have much of a future, but: that's another' argument.

Second, for the right: price (150-200 USD in my mind) the Passport: is a great phone. Still rock sold in build quality and functions mostly as intended. 2 years of daily use from a $200 Passport is well worth: it to me.

The problem is that no one really knows what’s going to happen after 12/31/2019. It’s unknown what parts of BB10 rely on BB support. Like what happened with the BB10 version of WhatsApp, flipped the switch and within couple of weeks, it was lights out.....
    Haivu1945 likes this.
    05-13-18 01:18 PM
    Yeah, agreed. For most the uncertainty should steer them away. My main point was that it is very unlikely that BB10 servie will not work on 1 Jan, 2020 and :that a $200 gamble shouldn't be an issue for some.

I don't think the Whatsapp situation is a good example here though. WA was VERY clear what date their serice would stop on BB10 and they let us know far in advance. It' was only after many complained that they extended the service into the future. Yeah, it did work for some even after that but that was related to technical issues. Those ppl were lucky. Noone should have been surprised Whatsapp didn't work anymore.

Still, uncertainty for some is a red flag to stay away.

05-13-18 08:41 PM
    You have no way of knowing this.

If, for instance, the BlackBerry Protect service goes dead, you will never be able to load an OS or perform a security wipe ever again.

You may recall an issue back in 2013 or 2014 when everyone's GPS stopped working, and it was discovered that something on BlackBerry's server went down. When they fixed it, everyone's GPS started working again. Who knows how many other similar interactions take place between device and server.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-13-18 09:08 PM
    You have no way of knowing this.

If, for instance, the BlackBerry Protect service goes dead, you will never be able to load an OS or perform a security wipe ever again.

You may recall an issue back in 2013 or 2014 when everyone's GPS stopped working, and it was discovered that something on BlackBerry's server went down. When they fixed it, everyone's GPS started working again. Who knows how many other similar interactions take place between device and server.
    True.

You're misunderstanding my point though. No one is arguing the reliance on BB servers and that BB10 is at the, mercy of their whims.

What I said was that BB's statement wasn't the date BB10 will stop working, it was the date they stop guaranteeing support - their words, not mine.

In my opinion, and that's all we are talking about here, is that IF Blackberry were stopping BB10 service on 31 /12/20 they would have said that.

05-13-18 09:19 PM
    True.

You're misunderstanding my point though. No one is arguing the reliance on BB servers and that BB10 is at the, mercy of their whims.

What I said was that BB's statement wasn't the date BB10 will stop working, it was the date they stop guaranteeing support - their words, not mine.

In my opinion, and that's all we are talking about here, is that IF Blackberry were stopping BB10 service on 31 /12/20 they would have said that.

I think they were intentionally vague in order not to upset everyone, and hope most people will leave anyway by the EOL date - thus vastly reducing the inevitable "outrage".
    Haivu1945 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-13-18 09:27 PM
    I think they were intentionally vague in order not to upset everyone, and hope most people will leave anyway by the EOL date - thus vastly reducing the inevitable "outrage".
    Yep.

For those paying attention these past years (Chen era) after his last BB10 Hail Mary (Passport and Classic) Blackberry EOL strategy has been just that. Quietly stop development and phase out services without giving hard date of termination. I guess as a business strategy it's a good one. Notice how many have stopped complaining and simply adopted Blackberry Andriod?

05-13-18 09:34 PM
    Yep.

For those paying attention these past years (Chen era) after his last BB10 Hail Mary (Passport and Classic) Blackberry EOL strategy has been just that. Quietly stop development and phase out services without giving hard date of termination. I guess as a business strategy it's a good one. Notice how many have stopped complaining and simply adopted Blackberry Andriod?

All BB10 devices made since Nov of 2013 when Chen came on board were simply produced to burn through component commitments - including the Passport. The decision was made back then to terminate BB10.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-13-18 09:37 PM
    My reference to WhatsApp EOL was not about the announcement or the extensions. Merely, once it happened, things broke quickly just as many had suggested that it would. I’m not a tech person so I look at things from a practicality standpoint or probability instead of possibility. Already BB10 is how it will be. There's no BB10 service to stop like with BBOS. Simply put, on that day, whatever breaks down will not be fixed. If the infamous BB10 intern that has desk in the closet, accidentally unplugs something on the way out, nobody will be there plugging it back in. The laws of unintended or unexpected consequences will kick in. Devices won’t stop, unless, as they continue to run, they cease to run effectively, optimally since even now, devices no longer run efficiently.
    Haivu1945 likes this.
    05-13-18 09:50 PM
    Already BB10 is how it will be. There's no BB10 service to stop like with BBOS.
    Unfortunately that is a misconception, as per my example above, where something as simple as GPS on a BB10 device requires a working server-side component.
    05-13-18 10:51 PM
46 12