Disclaimer:
    -I'm not arguing for BlackBerry to resume bb10 nor opensource it
    -I don't hate Android or other OS (started my smartphone career with android then symbian, wp8, windows mobile 10 and last BlackBerry. Have tried to use iPhone, but not my peace of cake).

However I write this because I'm fed up with statements like: "bb10 works if you want to email and write but if you need apps...", "it's useless, we live in 2018", "it's a nice second phone" and so on.

I live in Gothenburg, Sweden. When I wake up in the morning I read GP (Gothenburg Post - newspaper) which has been downloaded during the night in their app. I check next bus in some of my public transport apps (one native, Fahrplan, and 3 android). I show the bus driver the ticket in Västtrafik ToGo (the local ticket app). On the bus to Borås (smaller city next to Gothenburg), where I work, I may listen to the downloaded podcasts of which I have been notified by bpod or read messages from Messenger lite or Facebook lite of which I've also been notified. I save some interesting things via ReadItNow (pocket) to read later. I may listen to music on Deezer or look at some newly notified publications on Igrann or Inst10 (instagram).

At work I have a paper copy that I have to digitize and I use Scan-to-text pro which works smooth with ocr. On a short free time I browse the twitter flow with Blaq. At work again I use a company car and BeMaps or maps.me will be my friend to navigate. To pay for parking I use one of my three parking apps that usually works in Borås. I'm also looking for a new job in Platsbanken (local Swedish app) more close to Gothenburg and order two tickets to the cinema in another app for the weekend. Home from work on an ordinary day I may stream some Netflix movie or PlayTV movie to chromecast. In bed I'll browse cb10 and maybe read a book in FB reader.

Well this was a somewhat compressed day with SOME possible things to do with a Passport on BB10. I would argue that this is more than email and writing. Even if the development of BB10 has come to an end, my Passport is neither dead nor obsolete. I would say that the phone would be fine at least another two or three years. A remark is that all of my Android apps so far can be updated to the latest version.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-18 09:56 AM
    I totally agree, for some people it does everything they need. For me many Android apps worked very well, some not so much, and some that I needed for work not at all. After 4 years, I hit a wall. If you don't find yourself limited by BB10, why would statements like
    "bb10 works if you want to email and write but if you need apps...", "it's useless, we live in 2018", "it's a nice second phone" and so on
    bother you, when they obviously don't address your particular circumstance? Maybe they didn't express themselves in the politest method, but those comments are typically directed towards someone asking if they should purchase a BB10 today, and offered by those who's life requires different things than you, thus have had a less than favorable experience.

Look at it this way. I absolutely love my job, but I wouldn't recommend it to most people, nor would I expect it be the line of work for everybody. Some who have tried it and gotten out would say it's horrible. That doesn't change my feelings towards it at all. I have friends in my last career, which I disliked immensely, and are extremely happy doing it.
    rarsen likes this.
    03-17-18 10:39 AM
    I overall agree with you but some statements bother me because they are simply not right. Just wanted to show that a Passport can be used to a lot of "contemporary things" even today.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-18 11:03 AM
    And if I showed it wouldn't work for my contemporary things, would that be just as fair? They are simply right to them, even if they aren't to you. I've no interest in belittling other's choices. For me, to misquote Ronald Reagan - "I didn't leave the BB10, the BB10 left me".
    03-17-18 11:27 AM
    Well, I'm not belittling people's choices - you are going emotional . To put it shortly once more - a Passport can be used for more than email and writing - to say the opposite is wrong. Q.e.d.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax and moonflyer like this.
    03-17-18 11:37 AM
    Maybe it's the Wulfanese™
    I said I wouldn't belittle other people's choices, not you. I didn't write the OP and get emo, you did.
    03-17-18 11:44 AM
    Haha you know I read between the lines

Posted via CB10
    03-17-18 11:47 AM
    Passport is a great phone. Best phone ever made actually - for some limited uses. In addition to apps, portability can be an issue.

Ya, I still receive the same 'why are you still using a blackberry?' remarks, usually from the iPhone crowd. Their consternation as to why I won't spend $1,000 on the latest idevice that will get damaged first drop used to bother me. Now I just ask how can I readily get my 40gb of music on that iThing which usually ends the discussion.

Posted via CB10
    moonflyer likes this.
    03-17-18 11:56 AM
    Haha you know I read between the lines

Posted via CB10
    Which is what leads to threads like these.

I don't care what other's think about the phone I use, car I drive, clothes I wear, house I live in, my wife, etc..

Life is way too short. Just enjoy it as you wish, let others do the same, and if asked for your opinion... one of my favorite all time quotes:

“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.”

― Thomas Paine
    03-17-18 12:35 PM
    Which is what leads to threads like these.

I don't care what other's think about the phone I use, car I drive, clothes I wear, house I live in, my wife, etc..

Life is way too short. Just enjoy it as you wish, let others do the same, and if asked for your opinion... one of my favorite all time quotes:

“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.”

― Thomas Paine
    First, you have to be at least two to make "threads like these".
    Secondly, my main point is not about what others think of my choice but about misinformation about what is possible to do with the phone.
    This will be my last posting in our discussion. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    moonflyer likes this.
    03-17-18 02:57 PM
    Secondly, my main point is not about what others think of my choice but about misinformation about what is possible to do with the phone.

Posted via CB10
    Misinformation is different and varies from perspective. For me, the apps I use aren't usuable on Passport or BB10 for that matter.

You seem to be frustrated that not everyone agrees with you. If Passport does what you need until it dies, great for you....
    03-17-18 03:15 PM
    Misinformation is different and varies from perspective. For me, the apps I use aren't usuable on Passport or BB10 for that matter.

You seem to be frustrated that not everyone agrees with you. If Passport does what you need until it dies, great for you....
    I think that the Passport absolutely doesn't meet everyone's needs. And I probably say that mostly because 'most people' use apps that aren't officially available and 'most people' don't want to bother with work arounds to get those things working, especially if the end result is still limited in some cases.

But I still 'mostly' agree with the OP that there is a bit too much of the "BB10 is only useful if you just want your phone for calls, SMS, and emails..." comments getting thrown around. Statements like that are not true as BB10 is a very powerful OS right out of the box and there are many uses, specifically with file management for me, that it is still the best mobile OS around for these sorts of specific purposes. Where the OP loses me a bit is in arguing that the apps he needs are all there and work great because the experience there is going to vary greatly from one user to another.

Anyway, basically, if someone has become accustomed to Android or Apple's app 'ecosystems' and requires any of the current 'big-name' apps, BB10 is an obvious bad choice for them. But it isn't accurate to say that it's ONLY good for emails, calls, and texts because it is still quite capable of much more than that.
    03-17-18 03:40 PM
    And that is why i love the Passport SEs I have. I looove the BB10 Os. The best Os there is!
    03-17-18 05:07 PM

Lol, and you seem to lick what's ordered for money. There is nothing wrong with that, but I've been to CB just on a few occasions, and your troll is just way too Russian, IMO.
    03-17-18 05:44 PM
    Lol, and you seem to lick what's ordered for money. There is nothing wrong with that, but I've been to CB just on a few occasions, and your troll is just way too Russian, IMO.
    How do you figure? I've spent more than most here on BB hardware since the beginning of the original BB. When BB rolled out BB10, I cursed at it and complained how it wasn't BBOS with BIS or BES.

When BBAndroid came next, I complained with the others that it wasn't BB10 since ART 4.3 was pretty good at time.

BBAndroid migration through PRIV and DTEK was OK but it's really come together on the KEYone. Like when 10.2.1 was finally introduced.

See, the difference is that I appreciate the limitations of BB10 and where it will be forever stuck in time circa 2013-2014 in regards to ART within BB10. Android has evolved quite a bit in the last 4-5 years and BBAndroid has evolved nicely in the last 2 years.

If BB10 is still good for you, that's great. Keep using BB10 until it's dead for you. I'm not the reason BB10 was and is a commercial failure.
    03-17-18 06:01 PM
    But it isn't accurate to say that it's ONLY good for emails, calls, and texts
    And to get worked up over something that silly is silly. Obviously that's a gross exaggeration of BB10's limitations, and should be dismissed as such.
    03-18-18 09:23 PM
    This started interesting, then I realized it was the same tired argument just written in a somewhat new way. Same result.

BB10 works for some, others, not so much.
    03-18-18 10:01 PM
    This started interesting, then I realized it was the same tired argument just written in a somewhat new way. Same result.

#harlequinromance
    03-18-18 10:11 PM
    Disclaimer:
    -I'm not arguing for BlackBerry to resume bb10 nor opensource it
    -I don't hate Android or other OS (started my smartphone career with android then symbian, wp8, windows mobile 10 and last BlackBerry. Have tried to use iPhone, but not my peace of cake).

However I write this because I'm fed up with statements like: "bb10 works if you want to email and write but if you need apps...", "it's useless, we live in 2018", "it's a nice second phone" and so on.

I live in Gothenburg, Sweden. When I wake up in the morning I read GP (Gothenburg Post - newspaper) which has been downloaded during the night in their app. I check next bus in some of my public transport apps (one native, Fahrplan, and 3 android). I show the bus driver the ticket in Västtrafik ToGo (the local ticket app). On the bus to Borås (smaller city next to Gothenburg), where I work, I may listen to the downloaded podcasts of which I have been notified by bpod or read messages from Messenger lite or Facebook lite of which I've also been notified. I save some interesting things via ReadItNow (pocket) to read later. I may listen to music on Deezer or look at some newly notified publications on Igrann or Inst10 (instagram).

At work I have a paper copy that I have to digitize and I use Scan-to-text pro which works smooth with ocr. On a short free time I browse the twitter flow with Blaq. At work again I use a company car and BeMaps or maps.me will be my friend to navigate. To pay for parking I use one of my three parking apps that usually works in Borås. I'm also looking for a new job in Platsbanken (local Swedish app) more close to Gothenburg and order two tickets to the cinema in another app for the weekend. Home from work on an ordinary day I may stream some Netflix movie or PlayTV movie to chromecast. In bed I'll browse cb10 and maybe read a book in FB reader.

Well this was a somewhat compressed day with SOME possible things to do with a Passport on BB10. I would argue that this is more than email and writing. Even if the development of BB10 has come to an end, my Passport is neither dead nor obsolete. I would say that the phone would be fine at least another two or three years. A remark is that all of my Android apps so far can be updated to the latest version.

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree with the OP and it's great that people like him highlight what the PP can still do. So if people don't need many or any Apps they can still consider buying the Passport even in 2018.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    03-19-18 06:33 AM
    And to get worked up over something that silly is silly. Obviously that's a gross exaggeration of BB10's limitations, and should be dismissed as such.
    I agree but I don't feel worked up over anything here... it's simply Newton's law at work over the Internet.

If someone makes a statement that is false, that is going to trigger an equal and opposite reaction. You can't have these things remain unbalanced.

There are occasionally people around on these forums looking for information on whether or not a BB10 device could work for them. I don't get worked up about it, but I do like to see that accurate information is available.

For the record, I'm not advocating for anyone to go out and buy a BB10 device in 2018. Not generally speaking, anyway. But, there are certainly still some folks that can make it work for them just fine, AND that includes requirements far beyond phone calls, texts, and emails.
    03-19-18 06:56 AM

I agree that it's a pretty tired argument... unfortunately it gets perpetuated from both sides.

Anyone remember the Sneetches by Dr Seuss? It's like if using a KEYone or Motion means you have a star on your belly, but using a BB10 device means you do not. Or the other way around - the point is, it doesn't matter.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-19-18 07:03 AM
    I agree but I don't feel worked up over anything here... it's simply Newton's law at work over the Internet.

If someone makes a statement that is false, that is going to trigger an equal and opposite reaction. You can't have these things remain unbalanced.

There are occasionally people around on these forums looking for information on whether or not a BB10 device could work for them. I don't get worked up about it, but I do like to see that accurate information is available.
    And if it was the only answer in a thread, then it would be cause for concern. Fortunately the vast majority of CrackBerry members are better than that.
    03-19-18 07:28 AM
    Thank you mikale11 for sharing your thought!
    That is exactly what bugs me on this site: People are acting like we're just to ignorant leaving BB10 behind. I fully understand it has no monetary value anymore and therefore can't be the future of BB. But for quite a while not it feels like we, who just have everything we need with a BB10 phone, are being forced to leave and buy a new android driven device. And if we don't we're just to stupid to understand that BB10 only holds us back.
    03-19-18 08:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    And just to put in an actual example, just look at this thread and read the first post. Then tell me whether this is the best answer the OP could get!
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...e-now-1139115/
    03-19-18 08:13 AM
    And just to put in an actual example, just look at this thread and read the first post. Then tell me whether this is the best answer the OP could get!
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...e-now-1139115/
    The OP's question whether remaining on 10.3.1 would protect them from the EOL is correctly answered. The following responses tell them they should upgrade because of OS improvements don't answer the question, but are also good advice.
    03-19-18 08:36 AM
27 12