Ok...so I have my new Passport and my z30.

Everywhere marketing tells me that the wider screen is much more productive. Ok. Of course you get much more content displayed on a wider screen when reading e.g. a website.

*But* I always got the feeling something is not quite natural when browsing the Web or reading other content with pasdport's wide screen and finally I found out the problem.

Remember at school, when you first start reading? I guess all of you used your finger "to read". And as with the wider display you do not scroll. Sometimes even the light turns off when there is too much content on a website to read.

With a much more narrow width you scroll more but this is like the finger you used to read in school (well, in the first class of course). And that feels so intuitive, doesn't it.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 04:57 PM
    I wonder if you have it set to a very small font size. Try experimenting with that to find a reading experience that works better for you.
    05-06-15 05:05 PM
    Yeah. You are right. Set my font size to 12.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 05:09 PM
    But then the advantage of the wider screen is gone

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 05:09 PM
    But then the advantage of the wider screen is gone

Posted via CB10
    It depends on what you think that advantage is. For me, it's having more variables to create a pleasing experience when reading on-screen text. It's not simply to minimize vertical scrolling. And for me, it's not about cramming as much text as possible onto a single screen.

Newspapers are printed in narrow columns because it's easier to read small print that way. As print gets larger, so can column width, without straining eyes. You should be able to find the balance that works for you on the Passport.
    05-06-15 06:04 PM
    There is another thread very similar to this one claiming that the whole 'work wide' philosophy was a bit of a marketing gimmick.

In my opinion, the advantage of the wide screen is not as much with viewing content but combining that extra real estate with creating messages. I don't really have an unpleasant experience reading on a Z30 vs the Passport but I find typing long emails (and reading them) much closer of an experience to a computer screen which enables me to create better quality messages in the wider format.

A message that takes up an entire screen on a 16x9 display, might only be 3 lines on the receiving end of someone's computer. That's why I love the wider screen as it allows me to see what the end result of my message will be without having to strain my imagination. And my 'Sent from my BlackBerry Passport' message becomes a statement of pride, rather than my old 'sent from a mobile device' which acted as more of a disclaimer.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    anon(870071) likes this.
    05-06-15 06:14 PM
    Really? Who reads with their finger? Change the screen timeout value if that's a problem.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    05-06-15 06:34 PM
    �Sometimes even the light turns off when there is too much content on a website to read�
    Settings > Advanced Interaction > Hold to Stay Awake > On

Works well, doesn't seem to eat any battery life on my Q10 or when I had a Passport.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.1.2726
    05-06-15 06:59 PM
    I can understand OP's points...I also think Work Wide is more of a marketing gimmick, because I don't think a phone with a narrow screen (say, iphone6), together with an optimized production app, is any less productive. In fact, I also find Web browsing easier with a narrow screen+rearranged texts, compared to the enitre website showing on screen but with tiny font sizes...

All in all, I think Work Wide would only work, if it's on a device the size of an iPad. But that would defeat the purpose of a phone..

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 09:46 PM
    Ok...so I have my new Passport and my z30.

Everywhere marketing tells me that the wider screen is much more productive. Ok. Of course you get much more content displayed on a wider screen when reading e.g. a website.

*But* I always got the feeling something is not quite natural when browsing the Web or reading other content with pasdport's wide screen and finally I found out the problem.

Remember at school, when you first start reading? I guess all of you used your finger "to read". And as with the wider display you do not scroll. Sometimes even the light turns off when there is too much content on a website to read.

With a much more narrow width you scroll more but this is like the finger you used to read in school (well, in the first class of course). And that feels so intuitive, doesn't it.

Posted via CB10
    So, this is now your second thread I've seen, finding fault with the Passport. Reality check - one size does NOT fit all. That doesn't mean there's a problem with the device or the user, just a mismatch. So, you have two choices. You can start working toward making your Passport more functional for you. Which includes asking for advice. Or you can replace it with something more to your liking. But whining about it in multiple threads just gets annoying.
    BigAl_BB9900 and DarkJoker33 like this.
    05-06-15 09:59 PM
    I can understand OP's points...I also think Work Wide is more of a marketing gimmick, because I don't think a phone with a narrow screen (say, iphone6), together with an optimized production app, is any less productive. In fact, I also find Web browsing easier with a narrow screen+rearranged texts, compared to the enitre website showing on screen but with tiny font sizes...

All in all, I think Work Wide would only work, if it's on a device the size of an iPad. But that would defeat the purpose of a phone..

Posted via CB10
    A Sony Z Ultra is the same width for a 6.4" screen. It also works very well.
    05-06-15 10:01 PM
    There is another thread very similar to this one claiming that the whole 'work wide' philosophy was a bit of a marketing gimmick.

In my opinion, the advantage of the wide screen is not as much with viewing content but combining that extra real estate with creating messages. I don't really have an unpleasant experience reading on a Z30 vs the Passport but I find typing long emails (and reading them) much closer of an experience to a computer screen which enables me to create better quality messages in the wider format.

A message that takes up an entire screen on a 16x9 display, might only be 3 lines on the receiving end of someone's computer. That's why I love the wider screen as it allows me to see what the end result of my message will be without having to strain my imagination. And my 'Sent from my BlackBerry Passport' message becomes a statement of pride, rather than my old 'sent from a mobile device' which acted as more of a disclaimer.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    I also posted the same thing in the other thread. Replying to emails, texts, posts, etc is so much better in the Passport. After having used the Passport, when I go back to a 16:9 screen, I keep turning my phone landscape, portrait and back again. And neither portrait or landscape satisfies me already when typing emails, messages, etc.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-06-15 11:07 PM
    It's good to hear other perspective in 'work wide' aspect. It is true that some 'huge' phones are also showing the same content - only in longer aspect due to screen ratio i.e. 16:9 instead of 1:1. But when we are reading using mobile phone or even tablet in most cases, we have the tendency not to read the whole page (probably 1/2 to 3/4 of the context) and start scrolling the screen up. And this is where Passport wide screen comes as being intuitive and somehow getting comfortable in reading purposes simply because it seems that you are reading more.

In the end, it is all in the users' content and distinction if Passport like mobile phone is for him/her or not. And as long as you are spending your own hard earned money to buy your own mobile phone, you don't need to please other if Passport is working well with you. At the same time, we don't need to displeased other if we found it 'weird', 'discomfort' and 'unsuitable' to use...

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 11:13 PM
    I don't know if you knew this function but if you hit the "R" button on a web page you switch to the reader mode which makes reading longer articles a little more comfortable. On the bottom of the reader interface you can easily switch font sizes too. Might want to try this out if you haven't done so already.

Posted via CB10
    Soapm likes this.
    05-07-15 12:38 AM
    So, this is now your second thread I've seen, finding fault with the Passport. Reality check - one size does NOT fit all. That doesn't mean there's a problem with the device or the user, just a mismatch. So, you have two choices. You can start working toward making your Passport more functional for you. Which includes asking for advice. Or you can replace it with something more to your liking. But whining about it in multiple threads just gets annoying.
    THIS! ^^^
    Verily. This guy complaints TOO MUCH without even bother to explore and adjust more on the device.
    mkelley65 likes this.
    05-07-15 03:10 AM
    Ok, this is the second or third thread you have complained about the size of the passport. Did you not see it in the store and hold it? Did you not do research on it first? It's a big phone.

I'm on my phone making phone calls for about 5-8hrs a day for work on my passport and I find the phone more comfortable than the Z10 for talking on the phone.

As for doing other things, yes it's not a 1 handed device. You clearly didn't do take it for a test drive before purchasing and that's not what these forums are for.

Sorry, maybe you should return it and buy a smaller device if you have such difficulties with the size.

Posted via my Passport
    05-07-15 05:35 AM
    Dude, scroll with the keyboard, please.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport - 10.3.1.2576
    05-07-15 05:41 AM
    yes, it's a valid point. yet i really find the wise screen very useful to . i use excel sheets, mails, tasking, and calendar as main functions on my Passport and i do find them all well.

i think it's a matter of taste..
    05-07-15 06:34 AM
    As others have said - force yourself to scroll with the keyboard until it becomes second nature. This is tremendous for reading articles - a slight flick of the thumb as opposed to dragging your digits across the entire screen covering words.

Above all else - use Reader Mode in the Browser when the website demands a lot of reading. I much prefer Passport to narrow devices for reading, especially in Reader Mode.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 06:50 AM
    I don't know if you knew this function but if you hit the "R" button on a web page you switch to the reader mode which makes reading longer articles a little more comfortable. On the bottom of the reader interface you can easily switch font sizes too. Might want to try this out if you haven't done so already.

Posted via CB10
    This ^^^
    05-07-15 12:36 PM
    I prefer definitely r the wide screen , it's much easier for reading and writing long mails.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    05-07-15 01:05 PM
    If it's too wide ... One bad thing with the width-apple-iphone-4-you-holding-wrong.jpg
    05-07-15 05:46 PM
    Press R for reader mode.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-07-15 05:51 PM
    I use a 14 font. I'm 68 yes old and don't need my reading glasses. My wife and daughter use 6 plus IPhone but I prefer my Passport!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 06:21 PM
    thats not what she said...
    05-07-15 10:01 PM
47 12