Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 04:04 PM
    I use it, doesn't seem to cause any problems.
    05-11-15 04:06 PM
    I tried it. Not sure I am going to continue using it. Have a look at this graph. The PB is the first while the Z10 cube is the second. The PB charger sends up to 4.5 amps to the phone. While the phone doesn't get hot I always preferred to trickle charge with less current when time is available.

Is it ok to use PB charger on Passport?-img_20150511_141651.png

Posted via CB10
    BBnewbie57 and zombiecupcake like this.
    05-11-15 04:24 PM
    I tried it. Not sure I am going to continue using it. Have a look at this graph. The PB is the first while the Z10 cube is the second. The PB charger sends up to 4.5 amps to the phone. While the phone doesn't get hot I always preferred to trickle charge with less current when time is available.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150511_141651.png 
Views:	1556 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	352292

Posted via CB10
    I was curious to know if using a tablet charger would damage the battery as well. Thank you for the graphs and info!

 = ♥ | 8220, 8530, 9670, 9810, Q10, Passport
    05-11-15 04:34 PM
    I use the yellow tip PlayBook charger which is 2A on my Z10,Q10 and Z30. There shouldn't be a problem as shop BlackBerry use to sell these chargers as "Premium Chargers" on the site.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Gus; 05-11-15 at 07:28 PM.
    dracolnyte likes this.
    05-11-15 04:38 PM
    I was curious to know if using a tablet charger would damage the battery as well. Thank you for the graphs and info!

 = ♥ | 8220, 8530, 9670, 9810, Q10, Passport
    The answer is I don't know. The phone does not heat up noticeably.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 04:38 PM
    Mine is pumping around 5 and the temp is 93 degrees.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 04:39 PM
    Mine is pumping around 5 and the temp is 93 degrees.

Posted via CB10
    93? That is really hot. My passport never reads more than 39�.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 04:50 PM
    93? That is really hot. My passport never reads more than 39�.

Posted via CB10
    Tough to be celsius when others are farenheit. 39 F is near freezing, while 93 F is34 C

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 07:14 PM
    I spent a lot of time looking into lithium ion batteries and chargers and am using the Z30 charger on all BlackBerry devices. Opted out of buying the premium charger due to heat degradation as well as current although the software should limit this. With the 850mah charger the Passport temp will go from room temp of 68F to a max of 72F. In all honesty we will have likely moved on to another device by the time the degrading of the battery is even noticeable, but figured the 850mah charger is good for the Passport and Z devices in our home.

Shopblackberry sells a standard NA charger @ 1300mah (same as stock Passport charger) and a premium charger which is, if I remember correctly, 1.2 amps. Just my thoughts. Many here use the premium charger from the Z10 to the Passport without issue for years. Just have too much data on LI batteries stuck in my head. A bit OCD lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 08:01 PM
    I spent a lot of time looking into lithium ion batteries and chargers and am using the Z30 charger on all BlackBerry devices. Opted out of buying the premium charger due to heat degradation as well as current although the software should limit this. With the 850mah charger the Passport temp will go from room temp of 68F to a max of 72F. In all honesty we will have likely moved on to another device by the time the degrading of the battery is even noticeable, but figured the 850mah charger is good for the Passport and Z devices in our home.

Shopblackberry sells a standard NA charger @ 1300mah (same as stock Passport charger) and a premium charger which is, if I remember correctly, 1.2 amps. Just my thoughts. Many here use the premium charger from the Z10 to the Passport without issue for years. Just have too much data on LI batteries stuck in my head. A bit OCD lol.

Posted via CB10
    The premium charger is 1.8A and the yellow tip premium travel charger is 2A. Shop BlackBerry had both chargers compatible with all BlackBerry 10 devices during the Christmas holiday sale . I don't think they are available for purchase from shop BlackBerry anymore, but they are available through other merchants. I have used the 2A premium travel charger on all my BlackBerry 10 phones and a Nokia Lumia 920. The oem BlackBerry car charger is 1.8A also.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 08:09 PM
    What do y'all mean about heat degradation?

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 09:05 PM
    What do y'all mean about heat degradation?

Posted via CB10
    Lithium ion batteries degrade with heat. You slowly lose capacity if the device is running hot. It is actually recommended to have a device that is not being used stored at 40% charge in refrigerator like temperatures to prolong battery capacity. Time also will eventually degrade the battery.

As I wrote before it is not likely that one would notice as most are accustomed to changing phones prior to really noticing a change in battery life unless your device sees excessive heat constantly it shouldn't be noticeable. Also, many use the premium charger without issue.

Sorry I wasn't thinking as I wrote the Passport stock charger is 1.3amps and then said the premium was 1.2 lol... yeah the premium is 1.8. The Z10 originally shipped with a 750mah charger, but later came with a 850mah charger. The Z30 comes with the 850mah as well (although different from the cube). I also prefer that the Z30 charger is not made in China like the Passport charger, but likely doesn't really mean much as long as it's a BlackBerry branded charger it's all good.

I checked shopblackberry a few weeks ago as I was deciding on chargers and optimal battery capacity and they had a universal regular charger at 1300mah (1.3) and a premium charger for $40 ($10 more) at 1.8. I personally ended up staying with a brand new Z30 charger that I have. It gives off minimal heat and is only slightly slower than the stock charger. Works fine for me. We have Passports and a Z10/Z30 in our house and all use the 850mah chargers. Just preference and a bit obsessive of course, but I like it lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 11:03 PM
    Not recommended...I may do it in worse case scenario - Zombie Apocalypse probably!

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 11:45 PM
    Do some homework before you post please. This question has been asked and answered dozens of of times. Yes you can use a Playbook charger. No it will not harm your battery. The amperage rating of the charger is just it's capacity. The device is what controls the amount of 'charge' you are getting, not the charger.

Posted via CB10
    suzicat likes this.
    05-11-15 11:57 PM
    Assuming you are referring to this charger BlackBerry Micro-USB Travel Charger | BlackBerry Chargers & Cables
    I've used it with all my BlackBerry phones since I got it, the 9930, Z10, Z30 and now the Passport. I haven't seen any problems from using it. The Crackberry store includes it as a Passport charger as well.
    BlackBerry Premium Micro-USB 1.8A Charger | BlackBerry Chargers & Cables
    05-12-15 12:00 AM
    Tough to be celsius when others are farenheit. 39 F is near freezing, while 93 F is34 C

Posted via CB10
    Aha. Fahrenheit didn't even consider that. Perhaps I should have been quoting the current in biot or some other obscure unit of measurement.

Anyways let me correct myself. I listed below the max current I observed from each charger.

PB charger 1.42 A temp range 30�C to 34�C
    PP charger 1.15 A temp range 30�C to 31�C
    BB cube 0.70 A temp range 30�C to 31�C

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 12:01 AM
    Yes. I have spare PB charger and has been using it to charge my PP, and others (except 9900) since day one (Oct/Nov last year) without any problem.

All my charger is on auto timer and set for 2.5 to 3 hours each time charging after which the timer switched it off.

So far no significant different of the battery keep its power. On normal days I still get 2 days with 20-40% juices left, and on busy days 1 day with 20-45% juices left.
    05-12-15 12:08 AM
    I've done it when my phone isn't charged and I need to go somewhere, but typically use the one that came with the phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 12:08 AM
    Think 'charging' as getting water from a hose and trying to fill up a bucket. The rating of the charger is like the 'pressure' of water coming out from the hose i.e. more pressure, the fast you can fill up the bucket. Likewise, less water pressure means, the longer it will take for you to fill up the bucket.

But unlike the normal 'hose' and 'bucket', our device, or we can generally claimed that all modern smartphones nowadays, is equipped with an 'overflow float ball'. It simply cut the supply of electricity going to battery when the battery reached or has been fully charged. But unfortunately, like the normal 'overflow float ball', smartphones have tendency to have faulty designed or cause by defective part that it will fail to cut the electricity going to battery and thus, continue supply of electricity will may eventually end up in... I'm not actually sure, but two possibilities are, either your mobile will melt like chocolate ice cream that has been taken out from freezer or it will simply explode - if your fuse or any circuit breaker installed failed to do its job...

So if you want to have completely peace of mind, the number one rule is, use only charger that comes with the unit. If you will let your mobile connected to a charger for overnight (or beyond the normal charging time), use lower amperage charger.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by joshua_sx1; 05-12-15 at 12:53 AM.
    05-12-15 12:43 AM
    The charger is just a conduit. The phone will regulate the amount of power it can handle. Would you buy different hoses for watering your lawn and filling your pool? A 1/2 inch hose would be fine for the lawn. A 3/4 would fill your pool faster, but put a sprinkler on it and it'll work fine on the lawn too.
    05-12-15 12:46 AM
    Definitely more heat than the charger that come with it. I am not too comfortable using the yellow tip playbook.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 06:23 AM
    I also tried the PB charger for the first time yesterday with my Passport. I unplugged it after ten minutes. The device got so hot while I kept browsing, it was beyond what I would call comfortable. Maybe the battery and the device can handle the heat, but with all that glued-together parts in there, the reports regarding lifting screens, I wouldn't be surprised when the heat damages the glue on the longer term.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 06:45 AM
    Think 'charging' as getting water from a hose and trying to fill up a bucket. The rating of the charger is like the 'pressure' of water coming out from the hose i.e. more pressure, the fast you can fill up the bucket. Likewise, less water pressure means, the longer it will take for you to fill up the bucket.

But unlike the normal 'hose' and 'bucket', our device, or we can generally claimed that all modern smartphones nowadays, is equipped with an 'overflow float ball'. It simply cut the supply of electricity going to battery when the battery reached or has been fully charged. But unfortunately, like the normal 'overflow float ball', smartphones have tendency to have faulty designed or cause by defective part that it will fail to cut the electricity going to battery and thus, continue supply of electricity will may eventually end up in... I'm not actually sure, but two possibilities are, either your mobile will melt like chocolate ice cream that has been taken out from freezer or it will simply explode - if your fuse or any circuit breaker installed failed to do its job...

So if you want to have completely peace of mind, the number one rule is, use only charger that comes with the unit. If you will let your mobile connected to a charger for overnight (or beyond the normal charging time), use lower amperage charger.

Posted via CB10
    This post is full of pure BS. If you overcharge a lithium battery, they explode. Quite literally explode! Overcharged lithium batteries swell till they split the outer case, which will expose the lithium to oxygen. Oxygen exposed lithium creates fire, hence they explode. By your logic, even the stock charger could fail and cause an explosion. Yet if that was the norm, we would see a ton of lawsuits with regards to lithium type batteries, and there simply is not.

Every device that has a lithium type battery has a charging circuit that does not allow overcharging. There is no issues with leaving a device on the charger overnight or for extended periods of time. Or for that matter, what charger you use, or at what amperage. The only issue is the amount of charge it outputs(amps), is directly related to how fast it charges, but supplying to much amperage won't matter as the charging circuit will only allow a certain amount through.

Next time do a little research before spewing garbage that you obviously have no idea on what your talking about.

I have only used my PB charger with both of my BB10 devices(going back the original launch of the Z10) with 0 effect on battery life or the device itself. I even bought a couple extra simply because it charges way faster then stock.
    05-12-15 07:06 AM
    That's why my friend, I mentioned 'faulty' and 'defective' part...

You don't expect 'faulty' or 'defective' part to behave normally, do you?

And I believe, I also mentioned 'I'm not actually sure'...

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 08:37 AM
35 12