Hi folks,

So, I finally got an official OTA upgrade from OS 10.3.0.1054 to 10.3.0.1418 for my Passport (operator is Telcel, Mexico). It was a huge upgrade (1.2GB) and everything seemed to go smoothly. However, immediately after I started using the phone I noticed so many errors/mishappens and instability issues. The biggest one was that none of my Android apps worked any longer, not even the Amazon Appstore will start up. Then there is the web browser, which is now behaving completely erratic/buggy and will even freeze the phone to the point where I have to force a reboot. Other things I've noticed is that the phone has become warmer than usual during use, the camera has gotten slower, the wi-fi signal and behaviour seems to have worsened and the battery seems to be dropping life-time faster than usual as well. Basically, the whole user-experience has worsened drastically.

I have no idea what's going on with my phone now, nor do I know how to fix it. It was working perfectly before the update. I have tried multiple reboots and a backup and restore from BlackBerry Link, but nothing has helped so far. I haven't read of any similar issue on these boards regarding a Passport getting ruined through an official OTA update either. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help me. This is extremely frustrating. I wish I'd never 'upgraded'...

Thanks
    12-14-14 05:30 PM
    Ok first of all take a deep breath and relax. You just done a huge update, your Passport is going to be acting erratically because in the background it is indexing things and getting itself settled into the update.

Give it a few hrs or even a day and then see if it has settled down. Do a hard reboot ie hold both vol up and down together till the screen shuts off and the BlackBerry logo appears then let go.

If after a day or so it's still acting erratically then backup your phone, wipe it and re-load the os again and hopefully that will sort out any issues you are having.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and LoneStarRed like this.
    12-14-14 05:41 PM
    You can revert with a autoloader to 1052.
    Put the backup fike from 1052 back to restore your data.
    A backup from1418 will not work

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 05:42 PM
    Ok first of all take a deep breath and relax. You just done a huge update, your Passport is going to be acting erratically because in the background it is indexing things and getting itself settled into the update.

Give it a few hrs or even a day and then see if it has settled down. Do a hard reboot ie hold both vol up and down together till the screen shuts off and the BlackBerry logo appears then let go.

If after a day or so it's still acting erratically then backup your phone, wipe it and re-load the os again and hopefully that will sort out any issues you are having.

Posted via CB10
    I have already given it full day to 'settle'. Like I wrote, nothing has helped. I already did a back-up and restore to no avail. You may think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. In fact, as I'm writing this, the phone just rebooted itself. It has become completely buggy and I cannot even install any Android apps whatsoever - it just says 'initialising' for ever, nothing happens.

I know my thread title is a little 'attention grabbing'. I did that on purpose, but please read my comment fully. I have a serious issue here, and I would very much appreciate serious answers. Thank you.
    12-14-14 05:55 PM
    You can revert with a autoloader to 1052.
    Put the backup fike from 1052 back to restore your data.
    A backup from1418 will not work

Posted via CB10

I'm sorry, I don't completely understand... Do you mind elaborating further? Do you mean that I can go back to OS 10.3.0.1054? I would love to be able to do that, as this 'upgrade' is nothing but a pain in the arse for me.
    12-14-14 05:59 PM
    Hey. Use BlackBerry link to reload your os
    It will solve all problems
    Don't restore or else it will restore your problems too
    KorChi_JapThai likes this.
    12-14-14 06:24 PM
    Hey. Use BlackBerry link to reload your os
    It will solve all problems
    Don't restore or else it will restore your problems too
    Thank you. I'm actually pondering doing just that, I'm just scared of losing all my data, my pictures, documents etc. Do you know of an easy way to back up such things? I just tried Dropbox and Box on my Passport, but they don't seem to work properly either...
    12-14-14 06:29 PM
    For pictures and documents can do a manual copy if you can get to the file explorer

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 06:43 PM
    Wipe (not security wipe) and reload any OS you want. Doing a fresh install saves time in the future.

PasaportePilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    12-14-14 07:06 PM
    Thank you. I'm actually pondering doing just that, I'm just scared of losing all my data, my pictures, documents etc. Do you know of an easy way to back up such things? I just tried Dropbox and Box on my Passport, but they don't seem to work properly either...
    For regular files you can copy to a computer.
    For other data, you can try moving to some cloud services or maybe a backup app from BlackBerry world?
    12-14-14 08:10 PM
    I got it sorted now. Thanks everyone for your advices. I did a full factory reset trough BlackBerry Link. I've been working on it the whole day, and I'm still not done setting the phone up again from scratch, restoring all the apps and files and settings and whatnot... Quite the hassle. I ended up using the built in File Manager to copy files over to my Mac through Link. I couldn't get Blend to do the job...

This whole process has made me feel a bit different about BlackBerry, I must admit, since something like this really should not have happened in the first place. In all my years using smartphones, an official firmware upgrade has never messed up my phone like this. It has also made my vary about installing future updates from BlackBerry.
    12-14-14 11:03 PM
    Hi there. Sorry to hear about your issues! I've had that official release installed from day one on a fresh installation with no issues. I'm glad you've sorted it out though. Sounds very much like recent iOS 8 updates! Not a pleasant experience I'm sure!

"May I see your Passport please?"
    12-15-14 12:03 AM
    BTW, your installation was huge at 1,2gb whereas mine was about 90mb...strange indeed.

"May I see your Passport please?"
    12-15-14 12:05 AM
    I got it sorted now. Thanks everyone for your advices. I did a full factory reset trough BlackBerry Link. I've been working on it the whole day, and I'm still not done setting the phone up again from scratch, restoring all the apps and files and settings and whatnot... Quite the hassle. I ended up using the built in File Manager to copy files over to my Mac through Link. I couldn't get Blend to do the job...

This whole process has made me feel a bit different about BlackBerry, I must admit, since something like this really should not have happened in the first place. In all my years using smartphones, an official firmware upgrade has never messed up my phone like this. It has also made my vary about installing future updates from BlackBerry.
    For what it's worth a couple months ago Apple's iOS 8.0.1 literally bricked millions of new iPhone 6s. So it's definitely not unique to BB.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ios-8...iphones-2014-9

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren likes this.
    12-15-14 12:06 AM
    Thanks for the link. It was an interesting read. I personally can't stand Apple as a company. I only use a Mac because it is the only PC that has a perfectly integrated OS, and I have an iPad because of its superior battery life and high quality apps (which I barely use now, after I got the Passport), but I would never get an iPhone again. I guess BlackBerry is kinda forgiven since I really haven't read of anyone else who've had this happen after this update. Reading the article you posted, it seems that my complaints, seen in perspective, really doesn't mean that BlackBerry is a bad company, especially compared to Apple.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 12:55 AM
    I have already given it full day to 'settle'. Like I wrote, nothing has helped. I already did a back-up and restore to no avail. You may think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. In fact, as I'm writing this, the phone just rebooted itself. It has become completely buggy and I cannot even install any Android apps whatsoever - it just says 'initialising' for ever, nothing happens.

I know my thread title is a little 'attention grabbing'. I did that on purpose, but please read my comment fully. I have a serious issue here, and I would very much appreciate serious answers. Thank you.
    I gave u a serious answer ie do a hard reboot or wipe the phone and start again?? The hard reboot didn't work but seems like re-loading the OS has fixed your issues. So am happy it worked out for u in the end.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-14 03:47 AM
    I just had this upgrade yesterday, and I'm having the same issues you describe here! I'm also on Telcel in Mexico and I would like to know what you did in order to get things going normally!

I'd REALLY appreciate your help!! I'm desperate!!
    01-02-15 04:31 PM
    Hi. Sorry to hear that you have experienced the same thing. Unfortunately, the only way I could remedy these issues was to do a full factory reset through BlackBerry Link and start from scratch. Restoring a backup will most likely not fix these issues - it didn't for me. I know how much it sucks having to wipe the device clean and start fresh again. Sorry... I wish there was a simpler solution, but I didn't find any...

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 04:44 PM
    I have a international version of a PP using with Telcel, when I got the PP was updated to 10.3.0.1418 and after one day was updated to 10.3.0.908 and I haven't had major issues with my PP, maybe you need to look for another update for your PP!

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 05:19 PM
    The same thing happened to my phone, apps became unresponsive after about 2 mins of switching on, the phone also got hot and then after attempted factory restore the phone went into error mode and is now useless, my solution is going out to buy a Samsung phone, thanks alot RIM.
    02-22-15 03:47 AM
    The same thing happened to my phone, apps became unresponsive after about 2 mins of switching on, the phone also got hot and then after attempted factory restore the phone went into error mode and is now useless, my solution is going out to buy a Samsung phone, thanks alot RIM.
    You could also downgrade, right? It's nothing really special that updates tend to fail as it happens to every one. Also samsung, apple, Google, Motorola etc etc.

Btw. Why samsung? Samsung stuffs their phone with bloat which makes the phone slower compared to others. If you want to buy, atleast buy a better phone.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 05:03 AM
    OTA Updates scare me. The first thing I do when I update my phone to a new OS is turn off automatic updates.

My process, which has been flawless for me is ...

Prep

Put Passport in Airplane Mode
    Backup using Link
    Backup Contacts using ContactX (in case of a disaster)
    Backup TXT using SMSBackup (in case of a disaster)
    Delete Work Email address (not using Balance)

Update

Update using Sachesi (not preferred because of the chance for leaving a mess though the Sachesi Tool is amazing, not the fault of Sachesi it's just too close to OTA for me)

Update using Autoloader (if available)
    Perform Autoload
    Perform Security Wipe to Clean Up
    Redo Autoload (Same OS Over the Top)

Recover

If used Sachesi test for reliability, if not reliable then recover to earlier OS.

If Autoloaded ...

Turn on Airplane Mode
    Recover from Link Backup (full)
    Let Phone Settle an Hour
    Turn off Airplane Mode
    Input Email, Facebook, etc. Passwords
    Add Work Email
    Test

The big issues I have doing an OTA Update are ...

No Chance to Prep
    OTA download of OS can be corrupted
    Updating an OS can leave the file structure a mess

Note: I keep all my Photos, etc. on my MicroSDXC card and I backup my Contacts after any added or updated Contacts.

Working WIDE T-Mobile  Passport Autoloaded 10.3.1.2267
    02-22-15 07:57 AM