Welcome back!

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 08:50 PM
    Hi everyone,

I got my first Blackberry and it is a passport. Some background info: I was a Iphone user ever since there are "smart phones". I have always wanted a mechanical keyboard. I did extensive research about this phone and I find the passport comparable to the Iphone 6 and this is why I am here. I was using an Iphone 5c and I can't help it to do a little comparison.

Here are some of my thoughts after using it for 24hours:

Getting the phone:
    It was difficult to get a hold of this phone. My carrier doesn't carry any Blackberry after the Q10. So I went and got a used one. I like it because it is kind of exclusive and not too many people have it.

Screen:
    The screen is definitely clear. However, I am not used to the big square shape.Probably need sometime to get used to.

Apps:
    Other than BB world and Amazon, I also install Snap. I don't play games on my phone so I think Blackberry would be fine. I can't get Google Drive to work and some of the apps get stretched. Most of the annoying thing is that some of the apps kept flickering. Had to restart the app and the phone to get it to stop.

Battery:
    I find the battery life is similar to my Iphone 5C. Maybe because it's a used phone, it lasted a day with 38% left (with flip to power safe).

CPU/RAM:
    I am happy with the 5C's speed already. The passport is pretty fast. I have no complain.

It is definite a 2 hand phone. I like the physical keyboard but i think it's slightly too big. I really hope the flickering problem gets fixed. I am still trying the phone out, I like the Blackberry community and people are very helpful here.

Thanks for reading
    Elite1, davinci4real and podes2204 like this.
    02-23-15 03:05 AM
    Hi everyone,

I got my first Blackberry and it is a passport. Some background info: I was a Iphone user ever since there are "smart phones". I have always wanted a mechanical keyboard. I did extensive research about this phone and I find the passport comparable to the Iphone 6 and this is why I am here...

... It is definite a 2 hand phone. I like the physical keyboard but i think it's slightly too big. I really hope the flickering problem gets fixed. I am still trying the phone out, I like the Blackberry community and people are very helpful here.

Thanks for reading
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!
    Please update your profile to include device, carrier, and location. Makes it easier for others to help you.

The Passport flickering issue sounds like an annoyance, but I'm sure it will be fixed very soon.

Try a hard reset of device periodically. (NOT exactly same as a Restart.)
    Hold down top key and don't let go. Ignore any onscreen countdown or options. After the BlackBerry name & logo appear, and the red LED flashes on then back off, then release the top button. It's kind of a "deeper" Restart. There's no negative to doing this.

We're glad to have you. See you in the Forums!
    Jeffrey Law likes this.
    02-23-15 03:21 AM
    4 days in, no screen lifting, no bending, no flickering, no oil stain on the back, link device switch was flawless , link software update flawless ..everything good so far! Oh and ordered via shopblackberry with stackable Valentines day code and no issues with the order!

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 11:31 AM
    4 days in, no screen lifting, no bending, no flickering, no oil stain on the back, link device switch was flawless , link software update flawless ..everything good so far! Oh and ordered via shopblackberry with stackable Valentines day code and no issues with the order!

Posted via CB10
    Perfect!

Thanks for sharing the positive experience. Sometimes it's nice to hear the sky isn't falling.
    02-24-15 12:09 AM
    Got my AT&T Passport today. Getting it setup now. And yes, the flicker problem is on these as well. Loving it so far.
    02-24-15 04:44 PM
    Got mine today!!!! AND its been a total nightmare. I love the phone, its awesome, looking forward to hooking it up with Google Services and whatnot, HOWEVER I am having a Twilight Zone level nightmare when it comes to getting this GSM phone onto a GSM network in the States that will actually support DATA on my phone and not just Voice and SMS. Any ideas? BTW I bought an UNLOCKED Passport from Amazon. Go figure...
    02-24-15 05:37 PM
    Just got mine over the Chinese New Year.

Official "I got my Passport" Thread.-wp_20150217_22_57_14_pro.jpg
    Official "I got my Passport" Thread.-wp_20150218_10_23_38_pro.jpg
    Official "I got my Passport" Thread.-wp_20150218_10_24_09_pro.jpg

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 08:25 AM
    Just got my Passport last Friday and it was a revelation. The OS is great, Hub and Blend simply brilliant. The screen is so beautiful and the size of the screen is perfect. I finally feel like I'm not straining to browse the web on a phone. It feels much more like a mini-laptop than a phone to be honest.

Before I took the plunge, I also hesitated a bit. I was going back and forth between the Classic, the Passport or yet another android device (came over from an HTC and before that a couple of Samsungs). Never having owned a BB before, I wasn't sure what to expect. But boy does it feel good to have a such a top dog device and from a company that's different than the current norm.

It's like owning a Tesla and everyone else is driving Toyota Camrys.
    anon(9088244) and podes2204 like this.
    02-26-15 07:50 PM
    Ordered my passport this morning off Amazon. Coming Tuesday. very excited!
    02-27-15 03:28 PM
    Its against my religion to buy a phone that I cant first try out. Loved my old BBs, but until they actually stock these things in stores here in Oregon I aint buying. To bad, because my Verizon contract expired on 2.20.15 and Im ready to make the switch back.....

IMHO AT&T is blowing the rollout. Displays and phones need to be in stores.
    02-27-15 04:50 PM
    i'd sure like to see covers on the passport. i've seen the flip cover from blackberry and another that "covers" the corners. but are there any other out there. months ago leaked images showed up on amazon, but no more.

are you buying any or going "naked"?

any news about a charging port?

edited*

Posted via CB10
    I bought the official BlackBerry flip cover for my passport before ATT announced their version of the passport. The phone is a little longer than the case it's self, I like the look, very professional, it just doesn't fit very well. I'm using it until I find something that fits better.
    02-27-15 05:43 PM
    Its against my religion to buy a phone that I cant first try out. Loved my old BBs, but until they actually stock these things in stores here in Oregon I aint buying. To bad, because my Verizon contract expired on 2.20.15 and Im ready to make the switch back.....

IMHO AT&T is blowing the rollout. Displays and phones need to be in stores.
    You haven't seen a display unit in an AT&T corporate store?

I'm finding that AT&T is doing a way better job at this release. Granted, I didn't have high expectations at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-27-15 05:44 PM
    Got mine today!!!! AND its been a total nightmare. I love the phone, its awesome, looking forward to hooking it up with Google Services and whatnot, HOWEVER I am having a Twilight Zone level nightmare when it comes to getting this GSM phone onto a GSM network in the States that will actually support DATA on my phone and not just Voice and SMS. Any ideas? BTW I bought an UNLOCKED Passport from Amazon. Go figure...
    1. What carrier are you on?

2. Have type of data plan are you using with that carrier? Have you called and told them you have another device and are having issues getting data up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-27-15 05:46 PM
    So I just got my passport today (black) with coupon thanks Brian and even though I recently uploaded an unboxing on YouTube for my daughter I wasn't really allowed to play with the passport! Now I got my own and it is so beautiful *smile* anyway it's not as big as it looks on YouTube and crackberry! I also ordered a leather flip case from shopbb and I put it on right away I ordered another one from amazon a snap on anyway I'm happy!

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 08:21 PM
    Paycheck came and I got the last one at the only local AT&T store that was carrying them. They weren't exactly pushing them, but whatever. Got mine!

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 12:34 PM
    Hi all,

Amy, I started out with an unlocked Passport from Amazon. I am a Verizon customer so I already knew there was no way the Passport was going to play nice with their network so after a couple of trials and errors I managed to get hooked up with Straight Talk. They piggyback on AT&T's network and the Passport being primarily a GSM phone things worked out nicely. I have unlimited talk and text with 3 gigs of high speed data to play with every month.

With that in mind things have been great so far. I have access to an LTE network and I have followed the directions on Crackberry forums to load up Google Playstore with no issues. I was so confident in my new purchase I ported my main VZW phone number over to Straight Talk so now the Passport is officially my daily driver.

Right now my biggest issues are learning to type faster on the physical keyboard and making sure I can send & receive multimedia sms messages. Otherwise the phone has been solid and I can't put it down CHEERS!
    RJB55 likes this.
    03-01-15 04:18 PM
    Activated my Passport yesterday, while this new phone is awesome, I already miss my Storm, which has been with me, literally every day since mine was among the first orders for it. So for me, sad to have to say goodbye to a friend I never had any problems with, and which generated so much excitement in my switch from a Motorola flip phone. This change to the Passport is more like an upgrade by comparison.
    So I'll drink a toast to my old Storm, store it with my Nokia 6160, my Motorola flip phone, and sing a song to auld lang syne, and cradle my Passport as part of my future ...
    christausky likes this.
    03-01-15 07:51 PM
    I got my Passport on Friday and switched my service to T-Mo from Sprint on Saturday and ordered a 64GB micro SD today. I'm really enjoying my Passport so far, and have been doing a lot of BBM yakking to help get used to the new keyboard. What a beefy beast this device is. Huge plus is BlackBerry Blend, very cool app.
    03-02-15 11:46 AM
    Hi everyone,
    Apps:
    Other than BB world and Amazon, I also install Snap. I don't play games on my phone so I think Blackberry would be fine. I can't get Google Drive to work and some of the apps get stretched. Most of the annoying thing is that some of the apps kept flickering. Had to restart the app and the phone to get it to stop.
    The flickering is due to ANDROID apps running in the background. Restarting the phone will clear that up. I have went through and changed all the permissions to disable background running of the apps, which also increases battery life.

The flickering was not a problem with the original OS out-of-the-box, it started with one of the later updates.

So do a quick restart and the flickering goes away (and the phone does restart pretty fast!)

As for the permissions, here is where you access it:
    1. Settings
    2. Security and Privacy
    3. Application Permissions
    4. Tap each one and disable "Run when minimized"
    5. Afterwards, you can quickly locate those apps that are new by changing the sorting from "Permissions: All" to "Permissions: Run In Background"
    christausky likes this.
    03-02-15 12:52 PM
    Almost have mine! Currently at the AT&T Store with Octavia!

Edit 1 0 3-2-15: Well, I've been Playing with the Passport for about an hour now and the hardest thing to do is transition to actually "pressing" keys!

I will say it's quite a transition,...the Z10's keyboard is just that good!

Edit 2 - 3-2-15: Here is is,..12:35am (3-3-15) and I'm thinking that the Z30 is more of a natural progression from the Z10 vs the PP. Oh how wish there was a true AT&T version of the Z30! This way, I wouldn't have to re-set my "FLOW",..."Fast Learning for Outstanding Work"! I mean, I'm fairly fluent with the Z10,...and BB 10 in general,...and not sure if I'm ready (mentally) to reset my internal OS to a new form. That's the remorse I'm having. Wow!

Edit #3: The speakers on the Passport rig are insane! Damn,...Damn...Damn!
    Another note,...it feels better in hand than without the case.
    The battery charges really,..really slow without the PP OEM charger.

Edit #4 - 3-3-15: This thing is crazy fast///////

Edit #5 - 3-3-15: I discovered that my car charger and charger at work, which works quite well for my Z10 doesn't do much for charging the Passport. I currently have it on the Playbook charger and it's now at 13%. In case some may be wondering why I haven't taken out the PP charger,...well, I'm not sold on keeping it yet,...as I refuse to carry a charger around with me. Since I don't have to with my Z10 and the awesome 4500mah battery!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by JMDBERRY; 03-03-15 at 07:52 PM.
    christausky likes this.
    03-02-15 05:44 PM
    Hi all,

Amy, I started out with an unlocked Passport from Amazon. I am a Verizon customer so I already knew there was no way the Passport was going to play nice with their network so after a couple of trials and errors I managed to get hooked up with Straight Talk. They piggyback on AT&T's network and the Passport being primarily a GSM phone things worked out nicely. I have unlimited talk and text with 3 gigs of high speed data to play with every month.

With that in mind things have been great so far. I have access to an LTE network and I have followed the directions on Crackberry forums to load up Google Playstore with no issues. I was so confident in my new purchase I ported my main VZW phone number over to Straight Talk so now the Passport is officially my daily driver.

Right now my biggest issues are learning to type faster on the physical keyboard and making sure I can send & receive multimedia sms messages. Otherwise the phone has been solid and I can't put it down CHEERS!
    It's great to hear success stories of people leaving (likely permanently) the contracts and saving big bucks with prepaid......on a friggin BB!

Got my Passport via Amazon on the Valentine's Day sale weekend (why does it have to be in red and not green or blue? )

Model SQW100-1 and on OS 10.3.1.1581

I managed the following using the Speedtest app and 4 bars of signal.

Official "I got my Passport" Thread.-img_20150225_speedtest.jpg
    (warning, it can eat up quite a bit of the data doing these tests). Personally I don't care about the data use.
    christausky likes this.
    03-02-15 05:57 PM
    Got mine yesterday!
    I am so happy with it. Now is time for me to get used to it. Then, I can do things faster on it.
    What amazing after I got sideload Snap to it. Now I had Instagram, Viber running well on it
    03-03-15 02:27 AM
    Well, I finally got my Passport yesterday. Love it! I'm learning to type again, vs tapping. But I'll get there!!
    Official "I got my Passport" Thread.-mypassport.jpg

I'm a big dude living in a big world. I need a big phone! Posted via my amazingly correctly sized Passport!
    03-03-15 01:31 PM
    Just activated mine at t mobile the one rep knew what it was. The older rep looked at the younger one (probably fresh out of high school) and asked him if he knew what blackberry was... so true for the young ones.

Posted via CB10
    vptsff likes this.
    03-03-15 03:45 PM
1,265 ... 2324252627 ...