07-24-16 06:28 AM
931 ... 1112131415 ...
tools
    I wouldn't say it is a myth exactly, the speaker may be the same but the effective speaker housing is different. The housing size and shape make all the difference, have you ever seen those "Pringles" tube iphone amplifiers? Same deal here, the chamber may be a little bigger giving the sense of a better sound...
    Attachment 366351

Posted via CB10
    there might be differences in housing sure but it's not all the difference in sound or audio. not by a long shot.
    08-11-15 01:43 PM
    there might be differences in housing sure but it's not all the difference in sound or audio. not by a long shot.
    To be honest, I cannot remember what my OG sounded like, I was just trying to suggest why the phone may have a different sound for some despite identical speaker hardware.

Cheers and enjoy the SE

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 03:44 PM
    Hey guys some people are saying that the new SE are better in these current way:

1. Faster focus/clearer camera
    2. Brighter and whiter screen
    3. Better reception
    4. Louder and better sounding speaker
    5. Softer keys

Can anyone confirm this with a side by side comparison running same software? I understand the softer keys have nothing to do with the software but what about everything else?
    While I can't PROVE it to you with a side by side comparison(because I have sold my other passports), I can confirm that all of those things are true. I have had the shopbb black, shopbb red, att passport and now the silver edition passport and while the keyboard is improved in a way similar to the att passport's keyboard improvements, I think the SE has a significantly better keyboard than even the att version. The most striking differences to me were:
    1) how amazing the speaker sounds. Anyone who says it isn't a change hasn't used one. It's night and day

2) how much they improved the amazing screen.

The only point I won't confirm is that the keys are quieter, I think they make about the same amount of noise.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    urbn31 and sapk like this.
    08-11-15 04:44 PM
    Hey guys some people are saying that the new SE are better in these current way:

1. Faster focus/clearer camera
    2. Brighter and whiter screen
    3. Better reception
    4. Louder and better sounding speaker
    5. Softer keys

Can anyone confirm this with a side by side comparison running same software? I understand the softer keys have nothing to do with the software but what about everything else?
    Running the same OS release number, via Saichi via Telus.

SE camera has better white balance detection. My SE also has clearer optics, but that may be due to a defect in my OG.

SE has a brighter, clearer, more neutral screen. It definitely has a better white balance calibration. Perceived clarity and brightness could be because of the better white balance or because of a different glass thickness, I can't tell.

Better reception? I'm getting one bar better, but I'm also surprised sometimes when an iPhone 6 is getting edge in areas where I'm getting nothing. So it's hard to really tell.

Speaker is clearer, sharper, but a little less bassy. Overall, I'd say it's thinner sounding, but more usable.

SE keys are at least as clicky. Maybe more tactile than the OG. The keys take less force to actuate, however. But the key presses are more assured. This keyboard does not feel like the ATT version. It is much much better.
    SE>OG>ATT

Beyond that, the phone is just better built. Plainly so. Even with all the plastic painted silver. The design is meh, up to you. I think the OG is a better design, aesthetically. But the SE is definitely improved in many ways--its the better passport.

Posted via CB10
    urbn31 likes this.
    08-11-15 05:44 PM
    A couple of observations:

First, I have the Amazon Passport SE, which I've been using for three days. It had 10.3.2.2339 loaded on it, of course, and when I plugged it into Link to restore from the OG Passport, it said the OS was up to date, no update available or required. I later ended up reinstalling 2339 from an autoloader after my failure at loading the 859 radio, as described in a couple other places. Meanwhile, with both the 2339 as installed and with my re-install of 2339, Link said no OS upgrade was needed from that.

With this PP SE, I've had a couple of random screen freezes, solvable only by hard rebooting. Also, I've had two or three spontaneous reboots over the past three days, both with the original OS and my app and data restore, and then also after the autoload of 2339 and another restore.

Second, I received a Passport Silver from Shop Blackberry/Digital River today--the delivery I had tried unsuccessfully to cancel because of the week delay. But since I was having some trouble with the first Passport, I decided to see how this one behaved. As soon as I plugged it in and ran Link (on a PC), it said that an OS update was required. This is right after the initial setup, no restore or anything yet. I rechecked the OS versions on the About screen, and sure enough, it was software release 10.3.2.2226 and OS 10.3.2.2339 with the 2340 radio. So I let Link update the OS--nothing to lose. It downloaded something or other and did the update--the whole thing took about 5 minutes. Then Link said the OS was up to date. I have no idea what it loaded in, because the About OS screen did not change from before to after.

Could there possibly be different OS 10.3.2.2339 versions, one for the SQW100-1 (OG Passport) and the SQW100-4 (SE Passport)?

Anyway, after going through all the usual permission granting, etc., on the newer SE Passport from DR, I think it's running better and smoother as compared to the SE Passport from Amazon. Very subjective, of course. No freezes or reboots so far.

The /only/ difference I can see between the two boxes (other than the IMEI and PIN and Mac #s) is that the one from Amazon has the number 270715 below PRD-62121-001, and the one from DR has 290715 below the PRD. Is it a different production run? Are they marked differently for different sellers?
    08-11-15 07:49 PM
    Where is your SE Passport built?
    Mexico? Canada? China?
    08-11-15 08:11 PM
    Where is your SE Passport built?
    Mexico? Canada? China?
    Both the boxes say Made in Mexico 6
    08-11-15 08:26 PM
    I really don't understand why you guys didn't buy this from the official blackberry website. Or maybe you don't live in the USA?

 BlackBerry PP Silver Edition via CB10 (AT&T OS 10.3.2.2226)
    08-11-15 08:47 PM
    Your num,beds: 270715 and 290715 are the production dates.
    July 27 and 29 respectively.
    At least they are recent.
    KenV54 likes this.
    08-11-15 08:51 PM
    Past experiences may have had that effect to seek out a different supplier.

I really don't understand why you guys didn't buy this from the official blackberry website. Or maybe you don't live in the USA?

 BlackBerry PP Silver Edition via CB10 (AT&T OS 10.3.2.2226)
    08-11-15 08:53 PM
    Got mine yesterday... Ordered on Friday, received it on Tuesday..

Love the keyboard, am able to type without looking at the keyboard and not making mistakes unlike my old Passport.. I think the real reason for more comfortable typing is due to rounded bottom edges.

Hope that BlackBerry puts the same Design Details team on all her phones from now on..

Btw.. looks unbelievably appealing on the sync pod.. reminds me of the Bold 9900 that I would just look in admiration while it sat on a flat surface..

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 09:41 PM
    Did you Amazon Passport SE come with the same accessories included as from shop blackberry??

A couple of observations:

First, I have the Amazon Passport SE, which I've been using for three days. Are they marked differently for different sellers?
    08-11-15 09:41 PM
    More pictures!!
    Please

08-11-15 09:47 PM
    Thanks for responding to my questions! Think I'll order myself a silver version! Did hey say anything about releasing this to carriers?
    08-11-15 10:06 PM
    Did you Amazon Passport SE come with the same accessories included as from shop blackberry??
    No, Amazon doesn't offer the same free accessories as does ShopBlackBerry DR in the US. Lot less hassle w Amazon, though. If the Amazon BlackBerry hadn't been acting up it would have been worth it to stick with them and pay for a case. I don't look forward to the prospect of doing a swap with DR if there are any problems with their Passport SE. With Amazon, there is zero hassle, ever. Worth the $60 differential, easily.
    GeoK and Lefty724 like this.
    08-11-15 10:59 PM
    Nice!!!!

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    08-11-15 11:31 PM
    Official 'I got my BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition' thread-image1.jpg
    Official 'I got my BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition' thread-image2.jpg
    Official 'I got my BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition' thread-image5.jpg

GeoK, ptpete and m3mb3rsh1p like this.
    08-11-15 11:34 PM
    Pictures do not do it justice. It's the best looking devices I have ever seen in person

extisis likes this.
    08-11-15 11:36 PM
    Also, I personally agree with Kevin, it feels like it has the build quality of a $2k Porsche design device.

08-11-15 11:40 PM
    Got mine this morning. Ver nice. The keyboard is soft and seems more precise with the scrolling.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 01:45 AM
    My only complaint is that both of the cases are a mother****er to get off and on the phone. I feel like I am going to either 1) break the case trying to get the phone out of it or 2)damange and/or scratch th

08-12-15 02:10 AM
    Finally got it! Feels great! Love the weight. This may be the device I finally keep for a long time. Love the feel of the keyboard. I dont notice the improvement in typing(as it relates to balance) as others have stated. The speaker does sound different compared to my OG, more treble imo, but not bad. Maybe due to the grill?? Very happy thus far. I used a razor to trim the pull tab from protective factory film until I can find a glass screen protector. If you are hesitant to buy one, I would say pull the trigger. You won't be disappointed! Good job BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 10:37 AM
    Just ordered my Silver Passport from uk shopblackberry about 20 mins ago...just a waiting game now...
    08-12-15 04:13 PM
    Ordered mine on Monday afternoon. It shipped yesterday and will be here tomorrow. Can't wait!
    08-12-15 04:56 PM
    Really getting used to the SE and like it a lot more than the OG. Both the look and feel.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 05:22 PM
931 ... 1112131415 ...