Hey Guys,

I bought the OEM Flip Case around 2 weeks ago from an eBay seller, so I've been using it for a little while now (enough time that it should have fully "broken in"). After one week the case started to close more but never "fully".

Done various things to try help the case to close more but nothing was working. It was especially bad after a long session on the device with the case bent back fully.

I started googling for other methods on Android forums and nothing seemed to work. I stumbled across a thread on the Android Central forums on the "Spigen Clip" Basically a magnetic clip that attaches to the case itself and the side of the phone. I was a little optimistic as the clip was designed for the Samsung Galaxy S3/4 and Note 3. But i decided to take the gamble and buy one. (Not exacly cheap either at �7.99).

Well the clip arrived today and well.. here's the result.

OEM Flip Case Impressions & Modification-image.jpg
    OEM Flip Case Impressions & Modification-image-2-_edit.jpgOEM Flip Case Impressions & Modification-image-4-.jpgOEM Flip Case Impressions & Modification-image-5-.jpgOEM Flip Case Impressions & Modification-image-6-.jpgOEM Flip Case Impressions & Modification-image-7-.jpgOEM Flip Case Impressions & Modification-image-3-.jpg

For anyone wondering "Does it scratch the screen?" I intentionally sat the magnet that sits on the side of the phone around 1mm above the screen, so it doesn't. Also, because of the keyboard it actually prevents it from connecting from the screen this way as well.

Actually delighted with it. Gives the flip case an even more sophisticated look IMO.

Let me know what you guys think.
    Last edited by iSuni; 10-29-14 at 02:04 PM.
    10-29-14 01:37 PM
    Cool looks great

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    10-29-14 01:46 PM
    Looks Good ! Hopefully the magnetic base stays on the side of the PP frame.

You are right, it does look nicer/more sophisticated.

Good find.
    iSuni and EsJayDee like this.
    10-29-14 01:54 PM
    Looks Good ! Hopefully the magnetic base stays on the side of the PP frame.

You are right, it does look nicer/more sophisticated.

Good find.
    The magnet on the side is held on to the frame with double sided tape. Spigen give you 5 extra strips with the clips.
    BACK-2-BLACK likes this.
    10-29-14 02:03 PM
    Good to know this is an option, it actually does look nice!

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    10-29-14 02:17 PM
    Well done OP, some good work there.

I'm still caseless with my Passport as I'm waiting for the official pouch case but nothing seems to point to BlackBerry making one for the Passport.

I might end up with the flip case and may get the clip if it seems the case does not fully close.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 02:19 PM
    Have you tried taking the magnetic clip off the phone? If so, does it leave residue? Worried about putting something directly on the phone especially in a place where the phone heats up a little more than normal. Plus I like to switch cases from time to time and would love to have that option. Thanks!
    10-29-14 03:44 PM
    Have you tried taking the magnetic clip off the phone? If so, does it leave residue? Worried about putting something directly on the phone especially in a place where the phone heats up a little more than normal. Plus I like to switch cases from time to time and would love to have that option. Thanks!
    I haven't taken it off yet. Don't really plan to until I possibly switch case (If i ever do). The only case i would possibly switch to in the near future would be the OEM pouch. I'm pretty certain though that any residue left on the side of the phone would easily pick right off without damaging the surface of the phone.

If you like to switch cases regularly then I would encourage this modification. But I would recommend this to people who plan to use the flip case for a long period of time.
    10-29-14 03:57 PM
    I haven't taken it off yet. Don't really plan to until I possibly switch case (If i ever do). The only case i would possibly switch to in the near future would be the OEM pouch. I'm pretty certain though that any residue left on the side of the phone would easily pick right off without damaging the surface of the phone.

If you like to switch cases regularly then I would encourage this modification. But I would recommend this to people who plan to use the flip case for a long period of time.
    Great, thanks. Only case I'd possible switch to it the hardshell and I could leave the magnet on with that one. Definitely worth a shot so I'd don't have to keep flipping my phone over to keep the case closed haha.

Thanks for doing all the research and posting for all of us!

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 04:11 PM
    Does the flip case add any bulk to the phone? That's probably the deciding factor between the hardshell case and the flip case for me.
    10-30-14 01:37 AM
    Does the flip case add any bulk to the phone? That's probably the deciding factor between the hardshell case and the flip case for me.
    To be fair, yeah it does. Still feels comfortable though. Do sometimes miss using the device naked though..
    10-30-14 05:47 AM
    Do you have a link as to where you bought this magnet? And how does it stick to the phone on the side? Glue?

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 06:39 AM
    Do you have a link as to where you bought this magnet? And how does it stick to the phone on the side? Glue?

Posted via CB10
    I bought mine from an eBay seller here https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=gq77Qr61

It's held to the side of the phone with double sided tape. You get 5 extra strips in case you make a mistake. Had mine on for over 24 hours now still feels fantastic.
    10-30-14 06:54 AM
    My clips got here today, but the magnet doesn't seem like it's strong enough to hold. Does it need to be worked in or was yours really strong right away?

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 05:13 PM
    My clips got here today, but the magnet doesn't seem like it's strong enough to hold. Does it need to be worked in or was yours really strong right away?

Posted via CB10
    It worked straight away. With the clip that goes round the leather of the case use your finger tips to make it slightly larger, this way you won't damage the leather and it should fit snug.

With the clip that attaches to the phone, place it connected to the top magnet and remove the tape. Then all you need to do is press down on the device and it should hold.

Search youtube and you'll see a few installation methods.

Good luck!
    10-30-14 05:41 PM
    Great stuff done here

Posted by Indian Passport
    10-30-14 07:54 PM
    Great idea OP. I rocked the Spigen clip for my S View cover on my Note 3. It's great and does exactly what it's supposed to. I will definitely be going this route as well.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    10-30-14 10:24 PM
    It worked straight away. With the clip that goes round the leather of the case use your finger tips to make it slightly larger, this way you won't damage the leather and it should fit snug.

With the clip that attaches to the phone, place it connected to the top magnet and remove the tape. Then all you need to do is press down on the device and it should hold.

Search youtube and you'll see a few installation methods.

Good luck!
    Ok, thanks. Wondering if my case is too firm still. It'll hold a little bit but it's not a very strong hold. Stays connected about 20% of the time. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 02:40 AM
    Ok, thanks. Wondering if my case is too firm still. It'll hold a little bit but it's not a very strong hold. Stays connected about 20% of the time. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Was about to say that, may still need a week for the case to break in.
    lonestar1135 likes this.
    10-31-14 06:53 AM
    Wish the clip could just attach to the case front and back instead of the phone, but nice look nonetheless!

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 01:02 PM
    Bought the spigen magnetic clip off of amazon after reading your post. Thanks op!

Posted via CB10
    iSuni likes this.
    10-31-14 03:34 PM
    I have the black and it closes flush without the need for a clip. I also just received the tan and noticed that if one places the sticky side too far towards the side with the volume keys the case does not stay closed. If one moves the case such that the camera opening is perfectly centered in the hole on the sticky side the flap stays closed.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MGO; 10-31-14 at 07:03 PM.
    10-31-14 04:56 PM
    Ending up putting my phone with the flip case and Spigen clips attached under my laptop for a couple hours and the case seems to be closing and 'sticking' better now. Just Gata keep working it in. Thanks for the tip!

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 02:29 PM
    Bought the Spigen clip and it works great. I didn't want to stick the piece to the phone though because sometimes I will carry the phone in a pouch style case. I cut some clear plastic from some packaging that had a square box so that I had an "L" shaped piece of plastic. I stuck the long side of the L to the sticky face between the phone and the case and then stuck the side piece for the clip to the short edge of the L. The clip looks like it is stuck to the phone and it still works as designed. But now I can remove the phone without the clip attached to it. So far, so good.
    iSuni likes this.
    11-04-14 03:46 PM
    Bought the Spigen clip and it works great. I didn't want to stick the piece to the phone though because sometimes I will carry the phone in a pouch style case. I cut some clear plastic from some packaging that had a square box so that I had an "L" shaped piece of plastic. I stuck the long side of the L to the sticky face between the phone and the case and then stuck the side piece for the clip to the short edge of the L. The clip looks like it is stuck to the phone and it still works as designed. But now I can remove the phone without the clip attached to it. So far, so good.
    Can you take a picture of what you did?

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 10:52 PM
39 12