I have my OEM Dock powered by USB to my PC. Its been charging for 2.5 hours from a dead state to just at 35%. Could the Dock be broken or does the Dock need the OEM charger hooked up to it? I thought the Dock converted whatever electricity was provided to it to 1.8 output. Not being electrically inclined I don't understand these things, lol.
    01-11-15 04:37 PM
    The USB ports on your PC are limited to 0.5A which is why the passport is charging slowly

Posted via CB10
    GeoK and pittster like this.
    01-11-15 04:46 PM
    The USB ports on your PC are limited to 0.5A which is why the passport is charging slowly

Posted via CB10
    So doesn't the dock charge at 1.8?
    01-11-15 04:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    And only USB 3.0 ports allows for rapid charging as the output is 1.8amp and higher. So yeah its better to use your charger block or a faster one to really get the benefit from rapid charging!

Off topic but I really like the Ventev dual USB 2.1amp charger block and I got it on CB shop.

Posted via CB10
    mhw100 likes this.
    01-11-15 05:04 PM
    And only USB 3.0 ports allows for rapid charging as the output is 1.8amp and higher. So yeah its better to use your charger block or a faster one to really get the benefit from rapid charging!

Off topic but I really like the Ventev dual USB 2.1amp charger block and I got it on CB shop.

Posted via CB10
    So the the Dock really isn't charging at 1.8amp given the USB is 2.0? Does that also mean that the Dock's only real feature is that it provides an upright stand?
    01-11-15 05:18 PM
    There's an oem dock for passport!?

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 05:30 PM
    So the the Dock really isn't charging at 1.8amp given the USB is 2.0? Does that also mean that the Dock's only real feature is that it provides an upright stand?
    Unless the dock has a separate power supply which can supply additional current, it will charge very slowly on the < 0.5A the typical PC USB port provides.

What you could try though is to plug the dock into a POWERED usb hub which is in turn connected to the PC. The powered hub will likely be able to provide more current, but you will have to check the specs on the powered USB hub.
    01-11-15 05:37 PM
    There's an oem dock for passport!?

Posted via CB10
    That's what I'm wondering as well :s

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 05:41 PM
    Unless the dock has a separate power supply which can supply additional current, it will charge very slowly on the < 0.5A the typical PC USB port provides.

What you could try though is to plug the dock into a POWERED usb hub which is in turn connected to the PC. The powered hub will likely be able to provide more current, but you will have to check the specs on the powered USB hub.
    Ah, that's too bad I thought the Dock had power. What does the Dock's 1.8 rating mean then?
    01-11-15 05:45 PM
    Ah, that's too bad I thought the Dock had power. What does the Dock's 1.8 rating mean then?
    I don't have the sync pod, but I'm pretty sure what it must mean that if you provide it with 1.8 A worth of current, it will take it and charge the passport faster. You can test this by plugging the sync pod into the passport's standard charger which is then plugged into the wall, not the PC. The passport should charge at its normal rate I suspect.

Again, if you have a powered USB hub lying around, this will likely work also.
    mhw100 likes this.
    01-11-15 06:02 PM
    USB ports on your PC are limited to 0.5A which is why the passport is charging slowly

Dock cannot charge at 1.8 if the input to the dock is only .5??

Plug it in the wall and it will be fine!! Fast and super charging then.

So doesn't the dock charge at 1.8?
    01-11-15 09:08 PM
    Means that it will charge your phone optimally and safely at 1.8A.
    Let's make an example:
    You are watering your garden with a hose which is 1.8" in diameter . But you are connecting that 1.8" hose to a supply pipe whose diameter is 0.5" only. So the water will kind of trickle through the 1.8" hose. You can only water your garden as fast as the 0.5" supply pipe can give in this case, and the 1.8" diameter of the hose only means that it can do better- Let's ignore water pressure so it will not be too complicated
    Now if you connect the 1.8" hose to an 1.8" supply pipe, your hose will be working at it full potential and your garden will be well-watered faster.
    If you connect the 1.8" hose to a 2" supply pipe, the water runs faster out of your hose. The hose may vibrate a bit, but still aright.
    But if somehow you manage to connect your 1.8" hose to a 3" supply pipe, the water speed out of the hose is very high which may erode the soil of your garden and knock the plants over, and soon your hose will burst.
    So 1.8A work safely and optimally with 1.8A supply.
    But I always feel that my phone last longer on a charge if charged through the computer USB, comparing with charging with the standard charger.

If that does not help you to understand, I'll get you another example which still involve the hose and the pipe, may be more interesting, but MA 18+ classified, and the mod here will have to censor it.
    mhw100 likes this.
    01-12-15 12:51 AM
    Where can I purchase this dock from?

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 12:27 PM
    I thought Passport OEM charger is 1.3A?
    01-12-15 12:39 PM
    How does the oem dock look like?

Never heared about it!

Does it work with the oem hard case on?

Can you post us a quick picture of the doc? U can attach a photo to ur post directly in the CB10 app. Thx!

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 02:27 PM
    How does the oem dock look like?

Never heared about it!

Does it work with the oem hard case on?

Can you post us a quick picture of the doc? U can attach a photo to ur post directly in the CB10 app. Thx!

Posted via CB10
    have you tried searching this very forum?

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post11253141

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...38/index3.html

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...nc-pod-988633/

Last edited by the brother; 01-12-15 at 04:40 PM.
    01-12-15 04:26 PM