Tried very hard today using my Passport to take some pictures of kids' birthday party in an indoor playground - CandyLand. I had to pull out my iPhone to complete the task. Almost every photos took with my Passport are blur... hard to focus as well, both camera and video mode.
    AdamThatsIt likes this.
    10-27-14 12:25 AM
    Tried very hard today using my Passport to take some pictures of kids' birthday party in an indoor playground - CandyLand. I had to pull out my iPhone to complete the task. Almost every photos took with my Passport are blur... hard to focus as well, both camera and video mode.
    Not surprising. While the camera hardware is good, the software is seriously flawed. The focus is slow, often wrong, and just outright does not work. I have issues with it all the time. Even my wife has commented how bad the camera performance is on the Passport. Whatever they did to the software has absolutely made the camera borderline unusable.
    AdamThatsIt likes this.
    10-27-14 01:18 AM
    +111111

Passport has the Worse camera on flagship phone ever. Wash out completely.

Several days ago, I tried to shoot some around 9pm in a parking lot surrounded with building and street lights, Passport gave me totally unacceptable shots, my aging iPhone 5 with 8M camera gave me much better result.

No matter how I tried, Passport camera reject to show detail on the light box sign, but at the same spot iPhone 5 can satisfied me.
    Same here. I am a former user of Nokia Lumia 1020 and iPhone 5s and current Lumia 1520 and Passport of course. So naturally my expectations about camera on Passport was very important. Hardware seems looking fine but on the software side is plenty of work to do. Low light photos are not acceptable at this stage of mobile photography. I'm very disappointed. Fortunately my Passport is an awesome device overall.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 02:00 PM
    I don't know why people are complaining about the passport camera, I was in Carphone Warehouse today and I touch the passport for the first time. The first thing that I did was with device was to take a picture, boy was very impressed with the camera, very quick to focus and very good quality picture.

Sent from my outdated Z10
    10-27-14 02:23 PM
    I don't know why people are complaining about the passport camera, I was in Carphone Warehouse today and I touch the passport for the first time. The first thing that I did was with device was to take a picture, boy was very impressed with the camera, very quick to focus and very good quality picture.

Sent from my outdated Z10
    Buy the device and you'll find out. The software is very, very bad. The fact that you got a quick focus and a clean picture is pure luck.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 02:29 PM
    Agree, taking one picture in a well lit store means nothing. Thanks for your input though

Posted on CB 10 (Passport)
    10-27-14 02:58 PM
    Epee - did you try to use the action setting on the PP?

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 03:11 PM
    Restarted my device and the camera is a little faster. The software is definitely glitchy

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 03:22 PM
    The only problem I have with the passport camera is the focus time. You can help by manually choosing and locking on something with good contrast that is about the same distance as your subject. This works well if you have a fast moving subject.

I suppose I grew up with manual cameras which needed planning to get the shot. As an instantaneous point and shoot, passport might not be the best however the hardware is good. If you can plan the shot, even with fast moving kids (pre focus) you get great results.

I'd rather have good hardware and bad software than the other way around. Software can be fixed.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 03:23 PM
    Same here. I am a former user of Nokia Lumia 1020 and iPhone 5s and current Lumia 1520 and Passport of course. So naturally my expectations about camera on Passport was very important. Hardware seems looking fine but on the software side is plenty of work to do. Low light photos are not acceptable at this stage of mobile photography. I'm very disappointed. Fortunately my Passport is an awesome device overall.

Posted via CB10
    You're coming from the Lumia 1020 which is arguably the best camera on a smartphone ever made. They based that on the Nokia 808 preview both at 41 megapixels and having at least 3years head start on the software optimization. Even the 1020 has faults which were solved by the 1520 but exchanged for other issues.

BlackBerry just hired a new camera software programmer so let's hope that they work on the autofocus and low light problems and solve them quickly. In good light I've taken good clear shots with lots of detail and not washed out scenes or blurring so I know that the camera has the ability some of the time. The camera is similar to the LG G3 but the software isn't.

I think the autofocus is okay but for some it might be too slow.

This is software iteration#1 for BlackBerry so let's see how quickly they can get better software to match the camera hardware, it's there it needs fine tuning.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 03:30 PM
    The hardware on the passport camera is pretty good, it's their software that needs a lot of work. The auto-focus isn't very good, and doesn't work at all with close-up pictures.

It also has a terrible time focusing on moving objects. I was trying to take a picture of my uncle dancing and it took me 4 tries before i got one that wasn't blurry.

That being said, software can be fixed. Hardware can not. So I'm glad it's the software that needs fixing and not the hardware.

Hopefully all the camera enhancements that are coming in 10.3.1 will fix the camera because that's the only thing I'm not 100% satisfied with right now.

Posted via CB10
    My Z10 takes good close up pics, here are some examples:
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_00000201.jpg
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_00000624_edit.jpg
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_00000641.jpg
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_00000773.jpg
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_00000772.jpg
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_20140809_185911.jpg
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_20140809_185923.jpg
    10-27-14 03:50 PM
    Looks to me that you've got it on night-time setting. Inappropriate for such a well lit scene.
    10-27-14 04:01 PM
    No it isn't. I treat night as aperture priority and sport as shutter priority. Night shots keep ISO as low as possible by increasing shutter time. In good light, you get the lowest ISO meaning less noise. Sports gives you fast shutter speed by increasing ISO. Less motion blur, more noise.

For composed shots I always use night mode (or hdr).

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 05:00 PM
    For me the camera is a deal breaker. I was hoping for a much better experience. I really do hope that they address this issue. If all it takes is a software fix that'd be ideal. I'll wait a bit but not too long. I did discover that electing different points on an image will affect the aperture and that's making a difference. But still most night light photos are just short of awful.
    AdamThatsIt likes this.
    10-27-14 06:53 PM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_20141027_221009.jpg

Passport camera is awesome... software just needs some improvements for focusing etc and I am sure we will see it soon on upcoming OS releases...

Posted via CB10
    aminrajabi likes this.
    10-27-14 07:02 PM
    Hope so to

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 07:13 PM
    Im impressed with my Passport's camera.

Normally I press on the screen so it knows where to focus, pictures come out great compared to my note 3.

And its quick, im not sure why for some people the camera is slow or seems buggy.
    10-27-14 08:20 PM
    What I've found with my z10 is even the slightest amount of oil on the lense can totally destroy a photo. It's the difference between halos and crisp detail. I'll see if I can attach some examples but try giving the lense a wipe (even just with a shirt or something) first.

AHH eww gross hahaha, ok this is an extreme example cuz I wiped my forehead on the lense for the first one... but still you get the idea. Even a quarter of the oil or dirt on the lense I'm demonstrating with can make a difference

Oily lense:

Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_20141027_223915.jpg

Taken after above and with a quick wipe with shirt:

Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_20141027_223926.jpg

Again, this is with my Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.1052 so sorry if it's not fully relevant but I hope it helps. I think it's a good tip for anyone taking quality photos. Easy enough to get a finger print smudge on the lense.

Posted via CB10
    dejanh likes this.
    10-27-14 09:42 PM
    Ok. Did some tests tonight. The passport isn't actually that bad at night shots. Like the z10 it suffers from luminance noise, not chroma noise. This means that each pixel can be a bit brighter or darker, but the colours are good. This type of noise is easily fixed with image stacking. I took some photos of a building in the distance at night. The worst conditions. I used burst mode and locked focus. The first photo show a closeup of some shutters - lots of noise. The second photo is the result of stacking 7 photos. Much better. This shows that the camera hardware is good, it just needs a little software love.

Not impressed with Passport's camera-photo1.png

This is the zoomed in section from the camera shot

Not impressed with Passport's camera-photo2.png

This is the stacked photo. Much better! No noise, and reasonable detail even though it is zoomed right in. This was all hand held, so aligning wasn't perfect.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 08:13 AM
    Nice camera!!
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_20141025_110721.jpg
    10-28-14 11:12 AM
    Sunrise at "Les Etoiles de Pau CCI4*" Horse Trials, last week.
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_20141024_085437.jpg

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 12:56 PM
    Is it just me or does the camera take forever to load or to change mode?

It literally takes up to 5-8 seconds to change from normal mode to timeshift, etc.

All of my shots seem very blurry if there is any motion at all.

I am running the latest 10.3.0.908 from Rogers.

This definitely is a step back from even my Z10.
    Just checked how fast is mode changing: about 2 secs. no more. Same OS version installed (free device).
    10-28-14 01:59 PM
    BlackBerry should collab with Sony for their camera software.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    AdamThatsIt likes this.
    10-28-14 02:23 PM
    You're coming from the Lumia 1020 which is arguably the best camera on a smartphone ever made. They based that on the Nokia 808 preview both at 41 megapixels and having at least 3years head start on the software optimization. Even the 1020 has faults which were solved by the 1520 but exchanged for other issues.

BlackBerry just hired a new camera software programmer so let's hope that they work on the autofocus and low light problems and solve them quickly. In good light I've taken good clear shots with lots of detail and not washed out scenes or blurring so I know that the camera has the ability some of the time. The camera is similar to the LG G3 but the software isn't.

I think the autofocus is okay but for some it might be too slow.

This is software iteration#1 for BlackBerry so let's see how quickly they can get better software to match the camera hardware, it's there it needs fine tuning.

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty sure that is a software issue and wait impatiently for fix For me personally good camera is a very important feature.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 05:58 PM
    The Passport can take good pics, even good low light pics. The problem is that focus time is too slow. So, if you are taking a pic of something that is not moving at all, you are in good shape. Taking pics of things that move, like people, is trickier.

It is not a terrible situation. If people are posing, you'll take a good pic. If you are taking random pics, odds are that one or more people will be be out of focus.

The camera is okay. It is not terrible. It is not as good as it can be.
    11-01-14 09:22 AM
128 ... 23456