Hey BlackBerry PP nation. Maybe it's just me,but how's everyone's experience with night time photos ? Mine = not impressed. Especially when shooting neon signs or red it seems. Attached photo for example. Washed out completely. Am I missing something ? A setting? Technique ? The quality is really awful.
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_20141018_064319_hdr.jpg

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 07:54 AM
    That's kind of a complicated scenario to shoot... try to match the dynamic range of the scene to that of the sensor...

The highs from the lights vs the dark sky most likely exceeds what most sensors are capable of...
    10-18-14 07:57 AM
    On another note... I think all cameras should have an exposure compensation option as the metering modes are limited
    10-18-14 08:03 AM
    I've had no problems shooting at night when I place the camera in Night Mode under the camera options on my Z10. Does the camera on the Passport have Night Mode as an option? Did you shoot in Auto?
    10-18-14 08:11 AM
    +111111

Passport has the Worse camera on flagship phone ever. Wash out completely.

Several days ago, I tried to shoot some around 9pm in a parking lot surrounded with building and street lights, Passport gave me totally unacceptable shots, my aging iPhone 5 with 8M camera gave me much better result.

No matter how I tried, Passport camera reject to show detail on the light box sign, but at the same spot iPhone 5 can satisfied me.
    Suraj Jadhav likes this.
    10-18-14 09:01 AM
    The hardware on the passport camera is pretty good, it's their software that needs a lot of work. The auto-focus isn't very good, and doesn't work at all with close-up pictures.

It also has a terrible time focusing on moving objects. I was trying to take a picture of my uncle dancing and it took me 4 tries before i got one that wasn't blurry.

That being said, software can be fixed. Hardware can not. So I'm glad it's the software that needs fixing and not the hardware.

Hopefully all the camera enhancements that are coming in 10.3.1 will fix the camera because that's the only thing I'm not 100% satisfied with right now.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 09:06 AM
    +111111

Passport has the Worse camera on flagship phone ever. Wash out completely.

Several days ago, I tried to shoot some around 9pm in a parking lot surrounded with building and street lights, Passport gave me totally unacceptable shots, my aging iPhone 5 with 8M camera gave me much better result.

No matter how I tried, Passport camera reject to show detail on the light box sign, but at the same spot iPhone 5 can satisfied me.
    Were you using night mode?
    10-18-14 09:09 AM
    Don't think the original software is optimal. Heard that even the small update some people already have helps

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 09:10 AM
    Here is a spontaneous shot of the ice with main lights off at the Air Canada Centre using the passport.

10-18-14 09:18 AM
    Maybe it's just me but that picture looks fine to me of course the colours look a little off but I wouldn't complain myself....but I also dont expect much from a cell phone camera at night and i've never owned an iphone

That's just my opinion though and daylight pictures look to be very good quality

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 09:18 AM
    The hardware on the passport camera is pretty good, it's their software that needs a lot of work. The auto-focus isn't very good, and doesn't work at all with close-up pictures.

It also has a terrible time focusing on moving objects. I was trying to take a picture of my uncle dancing and it took me 4 tries before i got one that wasn't blurry.

That being said, software can be fixed. Hardware can not. So I'm glad it's the software that needs fixing and not the hardware.

Hopefully all the camera enhancements that are coming in 10.3.1 will fix the camera because that's the only thing I'm not 100% satisfied with right now.

Posted via CB10
    My closeup is fine here.
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_20141018_090453.jpg

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 11:55 AM
    Phone camera lens are very sensitive to finger print and smudges. Make sure the lens is well cleaned with a microfiber cloth.
    Did you remove the factory protective film on the lens?
    10-18-14 03:59 PM
    The camera def needs major updates. Selfie mode p much unusable.

Posted via Passport~!
    10-18-14 04:16 PM
    Wife's girlfriend came by today with a passport and the camera pics are stunning and sadly better then my iphone6. When it comes to action shots the passport does poorly. BlackBerry will have to fix it. All in all the passport is impressive.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 04:17 PM
    Here is a spontaneous shot of the ice with main lights off at the Air Canada Centre using the passport.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...pse12a70d3.jpg
    Nice seats!
    10-18-14 04:23 PM
    All camera phones have their limits. Asking any to take action shots indoors is a difficult task...

Just got my PP yesterday. Been pretty impressed with the quality of the video. Photos of still objects is pretty good too.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 04:23 PM
    Have to agree, not a bad camera, one of blackberry's best, but they are still quite a bit behind the competition on cameras.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 04:40 PM
    I have to admit...never saw the need for a high quality camera on a phone, seems counter intuitive.

The depth and size of the lens for any phone makes it tough for proper full quality images but that being said it would be nice to keep up with the Jones on this.
    10-18-14 05:27 PM
    I think it's mainly a software issue. When I had my iphone I used an app called procamera. Would like to see something similar for the BlackBerry but overall I have been happy with my Passport Camera.

Passport on AT&T
    10-18-14 05:43 PM
    Took a few pictures this evening with my Passport
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_20141018_173039.jpg
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_20141018_173133.jpg
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_20141018_173153.jpg
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_20141018_173312.jpg
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_20141018_173432_hdr.jpg
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_20141018_115755.jpg
    Not impressed with Passport's camera-img_20141018_105403.jpg

Posted via CB10
    thymaster and MrGlenn like this.
    10-18-14 06:09 PM
    So far, I've been quite happy for my needs. Occasionally I don't get great autofocus.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 06:22 PM
    So far, I've been quite happy for my needs. Occasionally I don't get great autofocus.

Posted via CB10
    Autofocus is definitely an issue, hopefully it's something they can fix with a software patch. When the subject is in focus the pictures are fantastic.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 06:24 PM
    In photography it's all about the glass. It takes good shots but I would never compromise important events with a phone camera. I still use my compact semi pro lumix with leica lens. For work the camera is fine but I do agree they have to work on the software.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 06:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree vince..and on that note. If you look on BlackBerry's web site they are hiring a camera software developer. So maybe..just maybe..??

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    10-18-14 06:47 PM
    In photography it's all about the glass. It takes good shots but I would never compromise important events with a phone camera. I still use my compact semi pro lumix with leica lens. For work the camera is fine but I do agree they have to work on the software.

Posted via CB10
    Yea but also the size and the depth of the lens is of utmost importance.

There is a point where we are asking too much of a cell phone picture.

Do I want the PP be be at par of the others...sure but we are arguing a law of diminishing return when discussing the ability of such a form factor.
    10-18-14 06:59 PM
128 123 ...