I've decided not to purchase a Passport. Unfortunately my carrier doesn't support it and I don't know any way around that and I don't want to change carriers at this time.

Bummed about it because I love BB phones.
    I AM using the keyone and it's good and all but it's not a true BB and has some network connectivity issues.

Maybe some of you would have some advice on any way to make it workable for me to get one. Then I would reconsider not getting one.
    02-21-18 06:59 PM
    Since you're on Sprint any BlackBerry other than the Q10 and KEYone is a non-starter.
    02-21-18 07:04 PM
    You're right I'm sad to say.
    02-21-18 07:12 PM
    As an non-american: why do certain phones only work with certain carriers?

Posted via CB10
    02-21-18 09:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    So they can retain more control over the device.

Carriers are usually the first line of support for many devices in the US. As a result, they want to test and control the updates so they can properly train their support personnel.
    02-21-18 09:27 PM
    Also a non-american question: can't you just change carrier to one supporting Passport?
    02-22-18 03:18 PM
    Also a non-american question: can't you just change carrier to one supporting Passport?
    Verizon and Sprint use CDMA.

There are also networks in the US that whitelist some devices for extra features.
    mikael11 likes this.
    02-22-18 04:28 PM
    Verizon and Sprint use CDMA.

There are also networks in the US that whitelist some devices for extra features.
    Ok, I see, thank you.
    02-22-18 11:28 PM
    Because of the extremely high density of smartphones, the limited amount of radio bandwidth, and the fact that 2 of the 4 national carriers in the US (Verizon and Sprint) use CDMA-based technology instead of GSM (AT&T and T-Mobile) that is the standard in most of the world, the US is a unique place for cell phones. AT&T is the closest carrier to having GSM standards, but there are still a couple of bands that are different, and each of the 4 carriers has some unique LTE bands that the others don't share.

And even though phones are in the long transition between legacy (GSM and CDMA) and pure LTE (using Voice-over-LTE to make phone calls), there are still many places in the country (mostly rural areas) where you need GSM or CDMA to make a phone call. US carriers expect to have completed the transition to pure LTE by 2021-2022, but even then, even though all carriers will be using LTE technology, there may be phones that don't support all necessary LTE bands to be used on a given carrier. The more bands you put into a phone, the more expensive it is.

He could, but he doesn't want to. In some areas of the country, or even in just one part of a town, there may be one carrier that has a far better signal than the others, and so folks who live in such areas tend to want to stick with that carrier so they can get phone calls at their house or job reliably. And some may have a contract through their job that requires them to stick to a specific carrier - or they may lose their work-provided subsidy.

Anyway, the OP stated that he didn't want to change carriers, and because he's using Sprint - the most "unique" carrier when it comes to frequency bands - he HAS to have a phone that works on Sprint's frequencies or he's out of luck.
    Qorax, ppeters914 and Kuruz like this.
    02-23-18 02:10 AM
    The message is has come through. I also didn't notice that he didn't want to change carrier, but I can see that now. Maybe an unnecessary question though, but enlightening answers.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-18 03:50 AM
    A BB10 phone wouldn't even be worth switching carriers at this point.
    Qorax and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    02-23-18 07:55 AM
    Passport is a pretty cool phone. If you can get one relatively inexpensive, I would get one to use on Wifi for a while.

As a non American, I didn't know that cell phone carriers had such control over their customers.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-18 09:28 PM
    Neither did I.
    I take my BlackBerry BB10 phones with me to Las Vegas once a year for a Conference and never noticed an issue.
    I use a German SIM (Vodafone) and a UAE SIM (du) and they just work fine.
    The only thing I notice very well are my phonebills when I get back home.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-18 11:44 PM
    Neither did I.
    I take my BlackBerry BB10 phones with me to Las Vegas once a year for a Conference and never noticed an issue.
    I use a German SIM (Vodafone) and a UAE SIM (du) and they just work fine.
    The only thing I notice very well are my phonebills when I get back home.

Posted via CB10
    Oh shoot! LOL! Must've been $1,000,000!
    02-24-18 04:50 PM