I have a weird problem with my OG Passport. I cannot turn off the camera LED (Flash). I use the flash light on/off switch, and it gets brighter and dimmer but does not turn off. I tried everything, including installing Blackberry Link and restoring the phone. I tried running BBVE, and it did the same thing. (BBVE also seemed to imply that the proximity sensor is not working properly, I don't know if that is related). This issue just started yesterday. I have had the unit for four years and it has never been dropped or wet, and it had spend the last few days at home (as I had).

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong or how to fix it? Has anyone seen this issue before?
    08-12-20 10:52 AM
    I have a weird problem with my OG Passport. I cannot turn off the camera LED (Flash). I use the flash light on/off switch, and it gets brighter and dimmer but does not turn off. I tried everything, including installing Blackberry Link and restoring the phone. I tried running BBVE, and it did the same thing. (BBVE also seemed to imply that the proximity sensor is not working properly, I don't know if that is related). This issue just started yesterday. I have had the unit for four years and it has never been dropped or wet, and it had spend the last few days at home (as I had).

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong or how to fix it? Has anyone seen this issue before?
    I'd run an Autoloader and start fresh with no restore... test it. If that light stays on it's a hardware problem that you'll have to replace or walk away from.

Last I looked, there were lots of Passport components available for really cheap....
    08-12-20 11:24 AM
    I'd run an Autoloader and start fresh with no restore... test it. If that light stays on it's a hardware problem that you'll have to replace or walk away from.

Last I looked, there were lots of Passport components available for really cheap....
    I am not sure that an autoloader would be much different than the reset that I did. The light came on before I re-installed any of my software. Where would one look for components? I looked on the auction site and the motherboards start at $100, not much less than a 'new' machine.
    08-12-20 11:52 AM
    I am not sure that an autoloader would be much different than the reset that I did. The light came on before I re-installed any of my software. Where would one look for components? I looked on the auction site and the motherboards start at $100, not much less than a 'new' machine.
    Someone else would have to help you there....

Aliexpress, ETradeSupply or eBay is where I'd look. Generally the camera & Flash modules are separate from the Main Board, but not sure of the Passports configuration. It could be soldered to the MAIN board.... and not a plug in ribbon option.

Might watch a tear down video to see... maybe you could unplug just the flash and live without it.
    08-12-20 12:00 PM

Hello see this thread.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
    08-12-20 01:51 PM
    Thanks for the tip. I pressed on the back of the Passport and the light got brighter. So I opened it up and found that there is a little lever on the flashlight that was not making good contact with the inside of the case back. I cleaned it and bent it upwards a little and so far it is working correctly.
    Rico4you and brookie229 like this.
    08-14-20 07:51 AM