Is this true?
    09-10-14 11:53 PM
    Not really, it's got Slimport which is micro usb and HDMI in one. You just need a $5 adapter and then you should be able to use your micro HDMI cable as per usual.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247 O2 UK
    09-11-14 12:00 AM
    Thanks
    09-11-14 12:04 AM
    Its called a Slimport. Google it (late in ressponding)
    09-11-14 12:10 AM
    09-11-14 09:11 AM
    No, SlimPort. Slight difference.
    09-11-14 11:49 AM
    Using SlimPort, are you able to connect USB devices at the same time? For example, having a presentation on a flash drive and displaying it on a HDMI projector without copying the file to the phones storage, but reading from the USB OTG drive? Would you need a special SlimPort Y cable that splits out the HDMI and USB?
    09-11-14 12:54 PM
    Using SlimPort, are you able to connect USB devices at the same time? For example, having a presentation on a flash drive and displaying it on a HDMI projector without copying the file to the phones storage, but reading from the USB OTG drive? Would you need a special SlimPort Y cable that splits out the HDMI and USB?
    I understand what you are asking but would it not just be simpler to load files on a micro SD card? They can be hot swapped and looks like it will be easy with the removal of the small door on the top.

I also use the Drop box integration, move presentations over onto the SD card that way prior to the time its needed.

On a side note while speaking of presentations, why not go wireless? I cant wait to get Miracast, I'm on the Z10 now so no joy there. I do many presentations and I cant wait to do them from the phone but have the freedom to walk around the room
    09-11-14 08:40 PM
    I hear that the new units, (Passport and Classic) won't come with this adapter.

Blackberry chose to go with this configuration as opposed to the HDMI port. Why then are they not including the adapter?

Blackberry always.....
    09-11-14 09:49 PM
    I hear that the new units, (Passport and Classic) won't come with this adapter.

Blackberry chose to go with this configuration as opposed to the HDMI port. Why then are they not including the adapter?

Blackberry always.....
    Just like before when they didn't include the HDMI cable.

Posted via my Limited Edition Z10.
    Supa_Fly1, iToya and NickMcBride like this.
    09-11-14 10:25 PM
    Just like before when they didn't include the HDMI cable.

Posted via my Limited Edition Z10.
    Right?? Haha, some people...
    09-11-14 10:27 PM
    My understanding, correct me please if I'm wrong, is that the advantage of slimport over HDMI is that slimport can work with (using adapters) pretty well all popular display standards (HDMI, VGA, DVI and Displayport) and is good up to 4K resolution.

Dominate the MCAT C0012A8A6
    09-11-14 11:34 PM
    My understanding, correct me please if I'm wrong, is that the advantage of slimport over HDMI is that slimport can work with (using adapters) pretty well all popular display standards (HDMI, VGA, DVI and Displayport) and is good up to 4K resolution.

Dominate the MCAT C0012A8A6
    That would be good, and at least a valid reason for the switch. I had so much fun ripping Apple for changing the iPhone port on the 5 forcing people to buy new overpriced cables and docks (the adapters are pretty crappy), would hate to eat crow when BlackBerry does the same.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 12:11 AM

On a side note while speaking of presentations, why not go wireless? I cant wait to get Miracast, I'm on the Z10 now so no joy there. I do many presentations and I cant wait to do them from the phone but have the freedom to walk around the room
    It depends on the presentation.. if we're talking slides, miracast could work. For video on the other hand, while I appreciate what you're saying, and I too wish it could be done wirelessly.. at least in my experience miracast just isn't good enough.. the lag is horrible.. video and audio always out of sync.. it's really not watchable in my opinion. I've shared my screen to my TV for websites, photo's or other static content and that works well.. but I've attempted to play YouTube videos and what not from my tablet to my TV using miracast/screenshare many times and it's just terrible. - for some things hdmi is just better.

Dlna on the other hand works very well. But that's only for content actually present on the device and not for streaming. Works great for movies and TV shows but not ideal for a presentation either.

Posted via CB10
    stealthbob likes this.
    09-12-14 12:20 AM
    That would be good, and at least a valid reason for the switch. I had so much fun ripping Apple for changing the iPhone port on the 5 forcing people to buy new overpriced cables and docks (the adapters are pretty crappy), would hate to eat crow when BlackBerry does the same.

Posted via CB10
    But they're really not, that's the thing. HDMI is an open standard. Its not one companies proprietary hardware. This is not at all like apple changing their charging port
    09-12-14 01:02 AM
    Guys is slimport allowing for a duplicate of the screen, or will it be able to use a screen as an extention?

I'm asking because i use the hmdi mini output of my Q10 quite a lot, and i'm still frustrated from the square resolution output!

Did anyone tried that with the passport?
    Is the output still square or is the OS adapting to the attached screen resolution?

Thank you

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 11:10 AM
    I hear all about these adapters. But what I want is a slimport to HDMI male male cable. No adapters. Do those exist?

I have a microHDMI to HDMI 6' cable that has changed my life on my Z30. I'd like essentially the same thing for the Passport. No adapters, because then you're really using two cables. What a mess.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    09-12-14 03:34 PM
    Actually, you would be using 3 cables; the adapter, the HDMI and the power cable. But what exactly is your point? There's not a single person who uses the HDMI out capability so frequently that they would be bothered using an HML adapter vs a single cable. And if it does bother you that much then you should be using Miracast instead and getting rid of all the cables to begin with.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 04:03 PM
    Actually, you would be using 3 cables; the adapter, the HDMI and the power cable. But what exactly is your point? There's not a single person who uses the HDMI out capability so frequently that they would be bothered using an HML adapter vs a single cable. And if it does bother you that much then you should be using Miracast instead and getting rid of all the cables to begin with.

Posted via CB10
    I'm unsure who you were responding to, and being unfamiliar with the SlimPort technology, I don't know what you mean when you say that there would actually be three cables. Could you elaborate on that?

And while I do like Miracast (I've used it on the Z30), I still prefer a cabled connection in certain situations.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    09-12-14 09:32 PM
    I was responding to you.

I detailed the 3 cables in my last post, did you only skim read?

1 - MHL adapter
    1 - HDMI cable or DVI cable or DisplayPort cable (but there isn't any adapters that currently output to DisplayPort)
    1 - Micro USB Charging cable (optional)

No Hdmi mini out on Passport?-slimport-cable.jpg

Slimport is basically like MHL+. It does what MHL already does, but has support for DisplayPort which MHL does not and allows you to use the adapter without the mirco USB charging cable which makes it optional and which MHL requires.

Here's more info:

http://www.tested.com/tech/android/4...l-vs-slimport/

Posted via CB10
    FunktasticLucky likes this.
    09-12-14 10:24 PM
    For Iphone 9 it is yes. No HDMI! It sucks you, you screw it.
    09-12-14 10:35 PM
    Participate.

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    09-12-14 10:38 PM
    So let me get this straight, on my Z30 I go home hook up my hdmi Cable to my Z30 and my USB cable to a hub and to a mouse and keyboard. I then login to my Splashtop and have my work laptop basically in front of me. Now going forward it's the screen or the keyboard? Or let's say I want to use the HDMI out for movies when I'm on traveling I can't charge it now at the same time. Sounds like a big step backwards. May need to just not get a new BlackBerry this year and keep my Z30 longer than I planned. Good move BlackBerry take away what I need for work.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 11:45 PM
    So let me get this straight, on my Z30 I go home hook up my hdmi Cable to my Z30 and my USB cable to a hub and to a mouse and keyboard. I then login to my Splashtop and have my work laptop basically in front of me. Now going forward it's the screen or the keyboard? Or let's say I want to use the HDMI out for movies when I'm on traveling I can't charge it now at the same time. Sounds like a big step backwards. May need to just not get a new BlackBerry this year and keep my Z30 longer than I planned. Good move BlackBerry take away what I need for work.

Posted via CB10
    Ok, you can charge and use micro HDMI at the same time with a Slimport adapter as seen in the picture above. Not sure if you can plug USB devices like keyboard etc into the adapter instead of the charger, but I don't see why not. Perhaps someone can confirm? I don't see this as a step backwards, I think it does exactly the same thing as two separate ports, but with added display compatibility properties. I don't see what the fuss is about, yes you have to buy a small adapter, but so what? They're cheap enough for God's sake. And for anyone saying "oh no, now I need two cables", just don't remove the adapter from the micro HDMI cable ever and boom! Effectively one cable no?

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247 O2 UK
    09-13-14 12:34 AM
    I was responding to you.

I detailed the 3 cables in my last post, did you only skim read?

1 - MHL adapter
    1 - HDMI cable or DVI cable or DisplayPort cable (but there isn't any adapters that currently output to DisplayPort)
    1 - Micro USB Charging cable (optional)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slimport-cable.jpg 
Views:	1218 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	297514

Slimport is basically like MHL+. It does what MHL already does, but has support for DisplayPort which MHL does not and allows you to use the adapter without the mirco USB charging cable which makes it optional and which MHL requires.

Here's more info:

http://www.tested.com/tech/android/4...l-vs-slimport/

Posted via CB10
    I actually read your previous post twice before commenting. I simply was unaware of these differences that you mentioned without much explanation as if everyone should know. I'm grateful for the more thorough response, and the article was a good read as well. Cheers.

09-13-14 01:30 AM
60 123