Ugh, I hate those stupid emojis. Support for them was added on Android a version or two after my last update, so all I ever got was gibberish from the few people who used them.

BUT!

I see the appeal for the women and kids who are already hooked on them and it should be a simple software upgrade to add that functionality, I would guess.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 09:11 AM
    only children need emojis, professional people need blackberries
    For real.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 09:29 AM
    Emojis are stupid and childish. I can see preteens and teens using then but not anyone over 21. Call me old school I guess.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 09:32 AM
    Let's remember his wife is the customer. The circle jerk of how dumb and useless and does nothing.

She is the customer. Emojis obviously create a strong enough feeling not to switch phones despite not having enough juice.

Now it's up to husband to sell her on it by overcoming objections. Maybe make the obvious point of if your phone is dead you can't emoji anyone. Also, show download the emoji pack and bomb her phone with emojis that work on her phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 09:40 AM
    Emojis are less a concern for me given the fact that text messages (SMS) and getting less used. And what Emojis one can use is totally dependent on the app - I think.

And beside this, I only use them in private communication and even than only once in a while.

FWIW

 Posted via CB10 from my Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    06-07-15 09:47 AM
    I am 26 and I use emojis quite frequently, in my personal and professional life. Call me childish, but that's just how my generation is. If we don't feel like we'll convey a certain thought or feeling in the way we want to with our words, we punctuate it with emojis (although back in my day they were called emoticons lol).

The fact of the matter is that a succinct statement can often be misconstrued as harsh or angry, if that's how the receiver of the text feels at the moment. Emojis can be a good defuser for those situations. I find it a bit annoying that there's no emoji support for BlackBerry, HOWEVER, the lack thereof has caused me to think more carefully about how I communicate over text, so in a way it's nice not having them.

Bottom line, if it was important enough to me to have them, I'd have switched back to Android instead of upgrading my Q10 to the Passport. Clearly the OP's family finds emojis too useful to give up, and that's their prerogative. Personally, I think there should be BlackBerry support of emojis, at least for the sake of making cross-platform communication easier. And isn't that what BlackBerry phones are all about? Communication?

 = ♥ | 8220, 8530, 9670, 9810, Q10, Passport
    06-07-15 09:47 AM
    Emojis are less a concern for me given the fact that text messages (SMS) and getting less used. And what Emojis one can use is totally dependent on the app - I think.

And beside this, I only use them in private communication and even than only once in a while.

FWIW

 Posted via CB10 from my Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    Thanks to Apple, emoji is soon becoming a part of the UNICODE standard, if not already. I remember reading the outrage since it is being used by SJWs to push a social agenda (old emojis were racist in nature because there weren't enough different skin colors).
    06-07-15 09:49 AM
    Heh, I really don't think that Emoji support is the key to saving BlackBerry... Else they would be rich on sticker money...

And it doesn't take a true visionary to see this.
    No, but it's a low hanging fruit and a huge resistance for young professionals, or professionals who communicate with their loved ones.

There is no such thing as one shine feature that would save BlackBerry, there are only all these tiny things that can make BlackBerry better.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-07-15 09:57 AM
    You could probably tell your wife you'll get her a passport/classic + a nice bag/shoes.

She might reconsider.

That'd certainly work for me. Who needs emoji's anyways?! 😎

Posted via BlackBerry Classic 
    06-07-15 10:21 AM
    I am 26 and I use emojis quite frequently, in my personal and professional life. Call me childish, but that's just how my generation is. If we don't feel like we'll convey a certain thought or feeling in the way we want to with our words, we punctuate it with emojis (although back in my day they were called emoticons lol).

The fact of the matter is that a succinct statement can often be misconstrued as harsh or angry, if that's how the receiver of the text feels at the moment. Emojis can be a good defuser for those situations. I find it a bit annoying that there's no emoji support for BlackBerry, HOWEVER, the lack thereof has caused me to think more carefully about how I communicate over text, so in a way it's nice not having them.

Bottom line, if it was important enough to me to have them, I'd have switched back to Android instead of upgrading my Q10 to the Passport. Clearly the OP's family finds emojis too useful to give up, and that's their prerogative. Personally, I think there should be BlackBerry support of emojis, at least for the sake of making cross-platform communication easier. And isn't that what BlackBerry phones are all about? Communication?

Agree! I'm 28 and use emoticons often, albeit the support of emojis on a device is not a deal-maker nor breaker for me. At times the visuals accentuate a point or a mood, which adds emotions and a hint of personality to otherwise cold cyber interactions. That pseudo-human feel that would otherwise be missing. (Plus, let's be honest, the majority of people these days are barely capable of composing a sentence or formulating thoughts via words, some are ppl need all the help they can get and pictures tend to benefit this crowd. Helps keep some on task and focused, in fact...)

Personally, i'm more into gifs or a well picked meme than emoji, but I'd be lying if I claimed emoji never graced my screen for pure fun and creative enjoyment among correspondence...

Posted via CB10
    zombiecupcake likes this.
    06-07-15 10:55 AM
    You could probably tell your wife you'll get her a passport/classic + a nice bag/shoes.

She might reconsider.

That'd certainly work for me. Who needs emoji's anyways?! 😎

Posted via BlackBerry Classic 
    The patriarchal f@ckery in this statement... < ... Just < ...

Posted via CB10
    zombiecupcake likes this.
    06-07-15 10:57 AM
    Hmm... which OS Version are you on? Pretty sure emojis are displayed 10.3.1 +

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    06-07-15 11:20 AM
    If I send you an emoji then it's probably not an conversation of significant importance. I have yet to use emoji's on any email ever, I don't allow my 6 year old who has a blackberry #Q10 to either, I need him to use his words.
    if one were to purchase an emoji pack from appworld would ios and android OS even be able to recognize them.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 11:52 AM
    If I send you an emoji then it's probably not an conversation of significant importance. I have yet to use emoji's on any email ever, I don't allow my 6 year old who has a blackberry #Q10 to either, I need him to use his words.
    if one were to purchase an emoji pack from appworld would ios and android OS even be able to recognize them.

Posted via CB10
    I've never emailed emoji... Emoji is something I've only ever used while in SMS or messenger. Usually conversations with friends and family members which tend to NOT be conversations "of importance" but instead laid-back conversations that entail bonding in some form... Life can't ALWAYS be 100% serious in mentality... Misery among the masses would only amplify...

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 12:03 PM
    Manyy of the responses to this post are what nearly caused me to ditch BlackBerry years ago. When iPhone and Android devices first came on the scene, and both were introducing slick, new features on their devices (like front and rear cameras), many bone-headed Crackberry posts ridiculed those things and said how childish they were and how little they mattered. When Android devices were adding features like miricast, faster processors, etc., a lot of addicts ridiculed the spec race and said that we don't need the latest and greatest features on BlackBerry!

These are the same people who claimed that BlackBerry devices are made for business and anyone who wants to use it for something else should buy another device. And guess what? Millions, and millions, and millions, and millions of people did just that. And they took those other devices to work and started a BYOD movement. That's right. They told their employers that they'd rather pay for their own device, which was fully functioning, than be provided a company paid BlackBerry device. In my organization, hundreds of people (and potentially thousands) are using Android and iPhone devices for both work AND play each and every day.

What people need to grow up and realize is that business people are also people. They want a SMART phone. Not one that's half smart and only works for business. They want one that allows them to send a quick reply, attaching a document, to their boss. But they also want to be able to send a kisses emoji to their wife before the plane departs. They want to be able to connect to anyone, anywhere, and in a multitude of ways. They want to be able to use their device to watch a video on a plane and kill time playing Solitaire (or Candy Crush) during a 3 hour layover or a 4 hour flight delay. They don't want to have to ask someone what they just sent because their antiquated (that would be the perception) BlackBerry doesn't support emoji's very well.

I have a company issued laptop, and it can do EVERYTHING. The browser can not only get me onto BestBuy's website, although I'd never use it for work, but I can also access our work related Oracle systems. I certainly wouldn't want a laptop that was crippled and unable to view the links to the new curtains that my wife just sent me (well, that wouldn't be so bad).

In the end, we should be demanding devices that can do everything that Android and iOS can do, and more! I think with BB10, we're finally nearly there, and emoji support would bring the platform that much closer. No one will switch to a device unless it not only does what their current device does (no point in switching for the same) but more and/or better. Email is better, but those used to other platforms may not recognize the superiority (or think it's marginally better at best).

It wouldn't be difficult to bring emoji icons to the BlackBerry keyboard, same as what's available when using BBM. The fact that some are using 3rd party apps for this demonstrates demand.

At work, we use Microsoft Lync as an IM client, and it supports tons of emojis... IN THE WORKPLACE!! It's just been renamed Skype for Business, and they've improved the emojis! Many are now animated! I guess microsoft gets it. People are people and a particular task may be business, but that's very short term and specific. Interpersonal relationships exist at work. People are friends too. And people do both work tasks and personal tasks on work issued devices of all sizes. Currently, Android and iOS enable that mixing better than BlackBerry to many, and that needs to be fixed.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    Last edited by kthhrrsn; 06-07-15 at 12:50 PM.
    06-07-15 12:06 PM
    Luckily BlackBerry phones can still see the emojis, they just can't make them.
    For everything else, there's Emoji Pack Pro in BlackBerry world for $1.99

Idiotic!

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 01:28 PM
    Idiotic!

Posted via CB10
    I feel this comment is more relevant in the "Grow up" and "How childish are we?" brackets than any other posting within this topic area... The pure epitome of immaturity on display...

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 01:58 PM
    I feel this comment is more relevant in the "Grow up" and "How childish are we?" brackets than any other posting within this topic area... The pure epitome of immaturity on display...

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 02:00 PM

Well said!
    06-07-15 02:03 PM
    Your feelings are immaterial CD... what is idiotic is to be the sole maker of cellphones & firmware that cannot play ball on such a tiny item as this that excludes an entire generation of users...why do that & then whine about slow sales... if Chen wants to sell phones he needs to serve customers of all types or face the impending doom he himself portends... sheesh!! If you want to sell to a wider base, it must appeal to more than fanboys... idiotic!
    06-07-15 02:06 PM
    For the millionth time though they aren't trying to sell to the wider market.
    Although emojis wouldn't be a hard thing to implement I doubt they're that bothered,

Posted via CB10
    CivilDissident likes this.
    06-07-15 02:08 PM
    Not a big fan of emoji here but I'm having trouble with all the hate and comments that emoji are for children and whatever, because....BBM Stickers.

BBM Stickers.

So emoji are for sheep and droids and children, and maybe for women, while Blackberry is a for proper real business executives and Men (apparently).

B.B.M. Stickers, because Emoji aren't Professional Business Manly enough.
    06-07-15 02:08 PM
    Your feelings are immaterial... what is idiotic is to be the sole maker of cellphones & firmware that cannot play ball on such a tiny item as this that excludes an entire generation of users...why do that & then whine about slow sales... if Chen wants to sell phones he needs to serve customers of all types or face the impending doom he himself portends... sheesh!! If you want to sell to a wider base, it must appeal to more than fanboys... idiotic!
    You should focus more on your comprehension skills, if you did you would see that the CB user you troll'd with your "idiotic" statement with was acknowledging BlackBerry missed the mark yet again... One can be critical AND be a fan-girl/fan-boy... However the simple, one-word reply (that came off more as insult to the user as opposed to fully encompassing your thoughts on the matter) seems more or less guilty of that terminology... Nicely demonstrated, but a fail at conveying the point you may have been seeking to address provided you actually had one to begin with.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 02:11 PM
    Not a big fan of emoji here but I'm having trouble with all the hate and comments that emoji are for children and whatever, because....BBM Stickers.

BBM Stickers.

So emoji are for sheep and droids and children, and maybe for women, while Blackberry is a for proper real business executives and Men (apparently).

B.B.M. Stickers, because Emoji aren't Professional Business Manly enough.
    THIS ^^^...

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 02:14 PM
    For the millionth time though they aren't trying to sell to the wider market.
    Although emojis wouldn't be a hard thing to implement I doubt they're that bothered,

Posted via CB10
    Well, I guess this post wins for the most truthful comment in the thread so far. Blackberry clearly isn't trying to sell phones to the wider market. And, as a result, they have lost 90% of their device sales and the vast bulk of their customer base in a very short time-span and sales are down another 50% in the past quarter alone. Wow.

As one poster said, Emojis are low-hanging fruit that brings a "communication" device like a Passport or Classic merely up to par with iPhone and Android. Fascinating to see so many posters insult users of Emojis as 'childish'. I don't think so at all. Yes, I am a professional but now miss an easy way to send my wife an emotion with a picture, rather than words as I am traveling or away from her. I'm not embarrassed about that at all, and at least she thinks it makes me a great husband!

My wife would be the perfect buyer for a Blackberry, and if she came over, maybe my kids would too, and their friends, and my wife's friends, etc.

But Blackberry lost a great potential customer (and the momentum additional sales makes in circles of friends & family) by truly mis-understanding what most people want in phones - cool ways to communicate (which includes Emoji support for an entire generation of people), great ways to record moments (with outstanding cameras, another HUGE BB miss), and abundant and easy access to Apps (the Amazon partnership is half-baked, at best).

After slamming how important these things are to the broader phone market, the same posters then lament about Blackberry's dwindling fortunes or justify not appealing to the vast majority of users by insulting people who want their phone to also take great pictures, run great (and current) Apps and, yes, display emotions in ways other than words. As if somehow that's not 'professional' in their opinions. Wow.

Really fascinating, for sure, to watch the Titanic sinking and all the people looking around at the rising water claiming things are just fine. After all, they are on an unsinkable ship!
    SmileDahling and kthhrrsn like this.
    06-07-15 03:18 PM
59 123