Well...after installing a few HD Starwars trailers, I wanted to hookup my Passport as I have done with my previous devices Z10 and Z30 via MicroHDMI to my HDTV only to find there isn't any...

No..........it can't be...........oh well............I still love my 6 day old Passport and I'm sure my parents are enjoying my previous Z30s even though all they use their phones are for phoning, picture taking if any...and not even texting.

Z30 is extreme overkill for their basic dumbphone needs. LOL

 BlackBerry Passport on Telus Network
    04-17-15 02:41 PM
    It's there, just through some sort of new standard.

Slimport adapter required now.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.ca/SP1003-SlimPort...droidcent08-20
    04-17-15 02:45 PM
    Yup, you need a slimport adapter.

T-Mobile  вιaсĸвεггч Passport Autoloaded 10.3.1.2582 Sachesi upgraded to 10.3.1.2729
    04-17-15 03:43 PM
    After all of us bought a micro HDMI cable for the Playbook and Q10 Z10 and Z30 now we have to buy an adapter and a regular HDMI or get a setup that works with miracast....

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 11:02 PM
    Yeah, I bought two slimports! Maybe I should sell one, still brand new in a box.

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.281
    04-17-15 11:15 PM
    Does a slimport work with the oem sync pod?

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 12:02 AM
    Yeah it works great. Just plug the slimport into the cradle and the charger into the slimport. Good to go.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 07:28 AM
    It's there, just through some sort of new standard.

Slimport adapter required now.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.ca/SP1003-SlimPort...droidcent08-20
    Quick question about the term/name "Slimport"...Can it be compared to Apple using the name "Logic Board" when it's really a motherboard?

With that being said...Slimport is really microUSB correct? I ask because as you can see from the picture below, my local parts distributor sells these and it looks exactly the same as the Slimport to HDMI adapter on the Amazon. ca link above.

No...it can't be...I thought it would be on my Passport...-img_20150418_055809.png

04-18-15 08:10 AM
    I'm pretty certain that MHL is different to slimport. Do a search on here,im sure there's a few threads on it.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 08:16 AM
    I'm pretty certain that MHL is different to slimport. Do a search on here,im sure there's a few threads on it.

Posted via CB10
    Found this online:
    http://www.tested.com/tech/android/4...l-vs-slimport/

Sort of like HD DVD vs. BLURAY DVD standard wars. Well it's Saturday and my distributor is closed on weekends so I'll pick one up first thing on Monday and let you guys know. After reading that article...looks like MHL should work.

Found this as well:

Both MHL and SlimPort are evolving technologies, so things can change, but at the time of writing the differences are as follows.

-MHL normally requires main power to be connected to the adapter to work, but MHL 2.0 now found on some devices means mains power connection is not essential. Connecting power is however advised as MHL*draws power from the mobile device.

-SlimPort does not draw power from the mobile device, meaning mains power is not necessary, but power can be connected if preferred.

-MHL can output only via HDMI connections whereas SlimPort can output to HDMI, VGA, DVIA and DisplayPort, therefore offering a more versatile solution then MHL.

Whilst these are the primary differences there are some other emerging differences that will likely put MHL ahead of the SlimPort standard.

More manufacturers & products have MHL support than SlimPort. This means that MHL has an advantage as it is becoming mainstream quicker than SlimPort.* With this said, there are some big brands behind SlimPort such as Google/LG with their Nexus devices meaning SlimPort could catch up.

-MHL adapters are more readily available from more retailers than SlimPort.

-A true MHL setup will involve a MHL enabled display and an MHL to microUSB cable.* The cable carries power from the display, negating the need to physically connect mains power to the adapter, as there is no adapter, just the cable.

Kinda sucks since I have a nice 10' MicroHDMI to HDMI cable that used for my previous phones Z10 and Z30. At least I can still use it for my 64GB PlayBook for watching movies or playing back recorded videos that my kids made.

Last edited by qphone; 04-18-15 at 08:58 AM.
    04-18-15 08:32 AM
    After all of us bought a micro HDMI cable for the Playbook and Q10 Z10 and Z30 now we have to buy an adapter and a regular HDMI or get a setup that works with miracast....

Posted via CB10
    You want to complain about ports and adapters? Look at iphone and all they need, you'll appreciate your passport that much more.
    04-18-15 08:52 AM
    You want to complain about ports and adapters? Look at iphone and all they need, you'll appreciate your passport that much more.
    So true...at least the interface "MicroUSB" hasn't changed even going back to my pre-smartphone days aka Motorola RAZR 2. Still using that charger and it works very well on all of my previous Z phones including my Passport

04-18-15 08:57 AM
    Quick question about the term/name "Slimport"...Can it be compared to Apple using the name "Logic Board" when it's really a motherboard?

With that being said...Slimport is really microUSB correct? I ask because as you can see from the picture below, my local parts distributor sells these and it looks exactly the same as the Slimport to HDMI adapter on the Amazon. ca link above.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150418_055809.png 
Views:	1161 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	348075

No

Micro USB is just the connector/cable hardware.

Slimport is a data transfer specification that is used to switch the data pins of the USB port between sending traditional USB data and Display Port video + audio data.

So while the connector is indeed microusb, and it behaves like a micro usb connection when it detects a usb device, there is much more to it.

Google 'Display Port', it is a much more versatile video output mechanism (can do HDMI as well as DVI,VGA, etc),.. but the downside is that you need an adapter to be able to actually connect to each of those types of display devices.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 09:08 AM
    No

Micro USB is just the connector/cable hardware.

Slimport is a data transfer specification that is used to switch the data pins of the USB port between sending traditional USB data and Display Port video + audio data.

So while the connector is indeed microusb, and it behaves like a micro usb connection when it detects a usb device, there is much more to it.

Google 'Display Port', it is a much more versatile video output mechanism (can do HDMI as well as DVI,VGA, etc),.. but the downside is that you need an adapter to be able to actually connect to each of those types of display devices.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for info/technical brushup

04-18-15 09:25 AM
    I can't wait for this movie and what JJ Abrams has done with last trek movies was awsome!

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 11:04 AM