Guys, a quick question about NFC and payment apps.

I would really like to make use of this feature but find there is only one native app in BlackBerry world to do this... UGO is the name.

Looks like a great program but it only supports two financial institutions? TD and PC?

Does anyone know if there is an app or payment option for those of us on Royal Bank? What about Amex?

Sigh I wish BlackBerry developers will create something that will allow users to use all credit cards with the NFC payment option.

Don't like how apple pay does.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 10:55 AM
    It's up to your card issuer (Royal Bank in this case) to work with Ugo or some other developer to enable their cards in the app. It's not possible for a developer to do this, securely and legally, without working directly with the issuer.

This is why Apple had to work directly with every single issuer they signed up. Same with Google, Softcard, and others.
    07-18-15 11:08 AM
    I've been using Ugo for quite a while now and have always been interested in the concept. I'm not so sure NFC is the wave of the future, the Leap doesn't have it and neither do the secondary carriers (Koodo, Virgin, Fido). Also, many retailers do not have tap-to-pay installed, and some that do (eg. coffee shops) have it disabled because it doesn't allow for tipping. Some places have Visa PayWave but not MC PayPass. It's very fragmented and definitely geeks-only territory at the moment. However, when it works it's great. Recently at Tim Hortons I went to treat a friend and show him my "digital wallet". When I pressed Pay Now my phone indicated that the payment information had been sent, but it didn't go through. While the cashier was suggesting I try again on a different terminal my friend whipped out a $5 bill and paid. We had a good laugh. That is the state of mobile payments in Canada today.
    dejanh likes this.
    07-18-15 12:25 PM
    RBC does currently have an app. I was in the pilot program for this. I just got a letter in the mail informing me that as of August 12th, the feature will only work on Android phones.

Needless to say I'm quite annoyed because pretty much the only reason I got an RBC credit card was so I could use tap to pay.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 12:31 PM
    RBC does currently have an app. I was in the pilot program for this. I just got a letter in the mail informing me that as of August 12th, the feature will only work on Android phones.

Needless to say I'm quite annoyed because pretty much the only reason I got an RBC credit card was so I could use tap to pay.

Posted via CB10
    How did you get in the pilot program, if you don't mind me asking

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 12:34 PM
    There was a link posted in these forums about a year ago. I just clicked on it, put in my phone info and they sent me an NFC enabled SIM.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 01:16 PM
    I really don't get the facination with NFC. To me, the "tap N pay" credit or debit card is much easier and faster to use than any cell phone NFC function.

Posted via CB10
    byex and terminatorx like this.
    07-18-15 01:24 PM
    RBC has NFC Payment for Bell & Virgin only. CIBC has Mobile Payment App as well for all CDN carriers. TD also has mobile payment with their app on Bell, Rogers and Telus.

Oh, and don't forget the Tim Hortons app, which also has NFC Payment.

 RED Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339 on Telus
    07-19-15 07:41 PM
    RBC has NFC Payment for Bell & Virgin only. CIBC has Mobile Payment App as well for all CDN carriers. TD also has mobile payment with their app on Bell, Rogers and Telus.

Oh, and don't forget the Tim Hortons app, which also has NFC Payment.

Only until August 21 and then Android only.

NFC payment apps-img_20150719_190807_edit.jpg

As for why people would want this, sometimes I just grab my phone and go for a walk. If I happen to want to grab something to drink, I might not have my wallet, but I can pay with my phone.

For another month or so anyway.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 08:21 PM
    Let's petition RBC to continue to support NFC Mobile Payments on BlackBerry 10. Please share!

https://www.change.org/p/rbc-royal-b...edium=copylink

habs_fan likes this.
    07-19-15 08:52 PM
    I wonder whatever happened to this company. Guess they got lazy: http://m.crackberry.com/proxama-buil...-blackberry-10

That or they didn't like the idea of being called an ISIS supporter.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 09:33 PM
    Let's petition RBC to continue to support NFC Mobile Payments on BlackBerry 10. Please share!

I'm in. Not sure if it will do anything but can't hurt to try.

PS: thanks for cropping my thumb out.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 10:39 PM
    Tap and pay with phone is a novelty. A conversation starter with the clerk or waiter waitress. They're even more surprised to see a BlackBerry with tap and pay.
    I've been using it since last year and it's annoying. much easier just waving your debit or credit card.

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 likes this.
    07-19-15 11:05 PM
    Tap and pay with phone is a novelty. A conversation starter with the clerk or waiter waitress. They're even more surprised to see a BlackBerry with tap and pay.
    I've been using it since last year and it's annoying. much easier just waving your debit or credit card.

Posted via CB10
    It's a novelty that sells phones.

These kinds of things can't be dismissed anymore. On an iPhone it's a selling feature people fall all over themselves talking about. On a BlackBerry, oh it's no longer supported so it's just a novelty.

I personally liked having the option. The fact that we can't hold on to a "novelty" is one more scoopful of dirt in the grave of BlackBerry as a platform.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 11:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    I actually find it much easier using my Passport for Tap and Pay since I don't have to pull out my wallet. Before I walk in the store...pull out my phone and open th Ugo (mobile wallet) app...

Now it's ready to go when I'm ready to pay. People carry their phones more in their hands then they do wallets.

 BlackBerry Passport on Telus Network
    07-19-15 11:23 PM
    I actually find it much easier using my Passport for Tap and Pay since I don't have to pull out my wallet. Before I walk in the store...pull out my phone and open th Ugo (mobile wallet) app...

Now it's ready to go when I'm ready to pay. People carry their phones more in their hands then they do wallets.

Whats there to do when waiting at the register than get your credit card out. I get the security part but the convenience for setup and use isn't there which is why most eligible IOS users don't use Apply Pay and they don't need a separate sim.
    07-20-15 12:16 AM
    Only until August 21 and then Android only.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150719_190807_edit.jpg 
Views:	580 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	363326

As for why people would want this, sometimes I just grab my phone and go for a walk. If I happen to want to grab something to drink, I might not have my wallet, but I can pay with my phone.

For another month or so anyway.

Posted via CB10
    But can't our pp run android apps? This would not be an issue then no?

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 12:43 AM

RBC and I am a customer of theirs on multiple levels SUCK. They didnt even update the BlackBerry App for photo check deposit.

I won't hold my breath they will have this for us at all.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 12:45 AM
    But can't our pp run android apps? This would not be an issue then no?

Posted via CB10
    No, because this sort of app uses a lot of special security API that is not even supported across every android phone. It's not a limitation of blackberry it's just this stuff is very specialized. Old google wallet was the closest thing to having a shot but blackberry's android NFC api is not as robust as true android's.

It just won't work, nor will it ever work even with a modded apk. Needs to be a native app.

Posted via CB10 on me red Blackberry Passport
    07-20-15 01:24 AM
    One reason I would adapt to the tap&go payment from my phone...
    There are times that I forget my wallet at home, or in the office, or in the truck.
    Rather than going all the away back to collect the wallet... I rarely ever forget my phone.

Posted from my Passport... You've been BlackBerried!
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-20-15 02:22 AM
    Whats there to do when waiting at the register than get your credit card out. I get the security part but the convenience for setup and use isn't there which is why most eligible IOS users don't use Apply Pay and they don't need a separate sim.
    Grocery shopping for example at SaveOnFoods...my grocery list is already written on my phone and use that. Upon arriving at the clerk while having a quick glance at the cart and phones grocery list making sure I didn't miss anything...I tap the Ugo app and let the clerk scan my SaveOnMore loyalty barcode, then select my TD Visa to pay.

Again all of that without once pulling out my wallet and bringing along paper for a shopping list.

In the end I always carry three things with me at all times. My Phone, Keys and Wallet. Always do the the PKW check before I leave the house. With that being said since the ability to pay can now be done on the Phone which is most likely in my hands than my wallet...convenience is all I can say.

07-20-15 10:01 AM
    One reason I would adapt to the tap&go payment from my phone...
    There are times that I forget my wallet at home, or in the office, or in the truck.
    Rather than going all the away back to collect the wallet... I rarely ever forget my phone.

Posted from my Passport... You've been BlackBerried!
    I'm the other way around, since I've been carrying around a wallet for many more years than I've had a smartphone or cellphone for that matter. I rarely forget my wallet but quite often forget my phone.
    07-20-15 10:02 AM
    I wonder whatever happened to this company. Guess they got lazy: http://m.crackberry.com/proxama-buil...-blackberry-10

That or they didn't like the idea of being called an ISIS supporter.

Posted via CB10
    The ISIS network, became Softcard, and then that was shut down earlier this year. The major carriers behind Softcard decided to back Google Wallet instead.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    07-20-15 11:38 AM
    I would like to know this payment app. Can anybody will help me out?
    If you'r e in Canada and have either/both PC Mastercard or TD Visa you can use those at the moment with lots of OEM loyalty cards such as PC Points, SaveOnMore, Shoppers Drug Mart etc...with the native BB10 app - Ugo Wallet.

Ugo is in the process of adding other Visa and Mastercards as well to their line up. Ugo is a joint venture with TD.

07-20-15 12:14 PM