I found an old hotel key and remembered someone writing about reusing them as nfc tags... so I went to smart tag app and thought I could just set it up to do something. When I put key up to phone it says nfc tag is blank or not recognized...

Any ideas how to format it?

If not, no biggie, just figured I'd try it before tossing key away. I already tried a few android apps and none seem to work.
    12-30-15 06:54 AM
    Check to see if it is writable with Smart Tags, in BlackBerry World or pre-installed on your device.
    It is a native BlackBerry app made by BlackBerry.
    12-30-15 07:07 AM
    Security would be important for Hotels or anybody could reprogram for a different room, make a master key... so, no you probably can't.

Posted via CB10
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    12-30-15 07:09 AM
    I figured it might not be reprogramable... but I thought I saw the hotel clerk do it...
    Not sure how it would be a security risk though, you still wouldn't know the code (I don't know proper term) for other rooms nor the master key code to reprogram them too... kind of like having a key blank but not knowing what shape to cut them to?

I have Smart Tags, but how do I use it to check?
    12-30-15 08:36 AM
    I figured it might not be reprogramable... but I thought I saw the hotel clerk do it...
    Not sure how it would be a security risk though, you still wouldn't know the code (I don't know proper term) for other rooms nor the master key code to reprogram them too... kind of like having a key blank but not knowing what shape to cut them to?

I have Smart Tags, but how do I use it to check?
    Like gary_stortz said, they probably have the chip locked with a security key/password.....
    But, for giggles, try Smart Tag app:
    1. Launch Smart Tag.
    2. Set the Passport on the old key card.
    3. If there is something on it or if the device does detect it, you will get a pop up.... as you said earlier it was "Blank or not recognized"
    4. Tap Create in the Smart Tag app, choose something easy to test with, maybe Text as you can use it to display a message pop up.
    5. Once it has created the Text entry, long press it and choose Write to NFC Tag.
    Then see if it works.

You can also try taping the Menu in Smart Tags, the three dots lower right, and choose Erase NFC Tag to see if it can clear whatever is on the card.
    12-30-15 09:25 AM
    well, it was worth a shot, didn't work though.

for some reason, I was expecting that I would at least be able to "read" it? Kind of like read only CD/USB where I can still see the files, but not open/delete/edit them... at least not think it was "blank"

I guess I'll have to get real tags eventually if I want to use it, just haven't had a need to use it since I see no real use for them. Just thought it would be something fun if I could get it to work.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    12-30-15 10:21 AM
    Probably, as it's a key, it may be encrypted in a way or in a language that the BlackBerry can't read it.
    Probably done so others can't hack it to gain access to any/other rooms.
    Mostly what gary_stortz said
    12-30-15 10:37 AM
    Thanks everyone for responses.

rambling thought (no need to respond but if you do, appreciate it), I wish I knew how to develop nfc app to act as the "key". I've seen it used in Asia (mostly Japan/South Korea/Taiwan) where people can use their phones for hotel rooms. It just takes the mobile payment a step forward and use it as a key to get into room. You can check into room (at same time, app downloads key code) from phone and use that for key too, no need to even go to front counter. Great for late night check ins, checkouts. Then I'd have to talk Marriott or some large chain to sign contract with me and get money to renovate all their locks... lol.

Grr >.> lack of programming skills/money to make it... oh well, I'll enjoy the hell out of it overseas until hotel chains in US catch up to the times
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    12-30-15 12:47 PM