Could it be that it's not profitable to even hack BlackBerry since it has such low marketshare?

Posted via CB10
    You'd bet with Blackberry's reputation in security, there would be lots of people including tech companies working their butts off to hack them for just the mere fun of it or mischievously to fast track the "haters" prayed for demise of Blackberry.
    Superfly_FR and MBrettH like this.
    09-02-15 08:17 AM
    Ever heard of Steve Jobs and the Blue Box ?

He hacked the phone system before there were mobile phones

Posted via CB10
    Dude, you're high right?

First and foremost this was AT&T that was affected and it was Captain Crunch that did this with a candy whistle!

There are 2 Steve Jobs and Apple movies ... and a third one coming, you'd have thought all the iOS Kool-Aid drinking sheep by now would've gotten this story right with the first movie "Pirates of Silicone Valley".

FACT:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Draper

John Thomas Draper

While Draper was driving around in his Volkswagen Microbus to test a pirate radio transmitter he had built, he broadcast a telephone number to listeners as feedback to gauge his station's reception. A callback from a "Denny" (identified in a Discovery Channeldocumentary as Denny Teresi[11]) resulted in a meeting that caused him to blunder into the world of the phone phreaks. Teresi and a large percentage of the phone phreaks were blind.[12] Learning of his electronic capability, they wanted him to build a multifrequency tone generator (the "blue box") to gain easier entry into the AT&T system, which was controlled by tones. Then they would not have to use anorgan and cassette recordings of tones to get free calls. A blind boy who had taken the moniker of Joybubbles had perfect pitch and was able to identify the exact frequencies. They informed him that a toy whistle that was, at the time, packaged in boxes of Cap'n Crunch cereal could emit a tone at precisely 2600 hertz�the same frequency that was used by AT&Tlong lines to indicate that a trunk line was ready and available to route a new call.[13] This would effectively disconnect one end of the trunk, allowing the still connected side to enter an operator mode. Experimenting with this whistle inspired Draper to build blue boxes: electronic devices capable of reproducing other tones used by the phone company.
    09-02-15 10:40 AM
    That's about the same logic as saying no automobiles were hacked in 2007. The rotary dial phone was really secure as well.

There were no Iphone or Android phone hacks in 2006 and 2007 either. Want to take a guess why?
    Find an article and prove it. Never been rooted, hacked or compromised. Doesn't matter if ten billion or ten thousand use the os.

I can find many in apple and android though. Probably even some on Windows Mobile 5 and 6 that were out before apple os.

Face it, blackberry has NEVER Been hacked.
    anon9347040, extisis, lift and 1 others like this.
    09-02-15 11:22 AM
    Nah... can't be true.... do not remember how many times I have heard there is no down side to rooting you device.....
    I don't think there's much of a downside to rooting: but there is a downside to not having proper discretion when installing apps from "deep web" app stores, and putting misplaced trust in these app stores that they give a damn about protecting their users from malware.
    09-02-15 01:10 PM
    Ya mean there's a gripe section????

09-02-15 03:49 PM
    That's about the same logic as saying no automobiles were hacked in 2007. The rotary dial phone was really secure as well.

There were no Iphone or Android phone hacks in 2006 and 2007 either. Want to take a guess why?

Because the rotary phone made a comeback????

09-02-15 03:52 PM
    Face it, blackberry has NEVER Been hacked.
    All depends how you define "Hacked". They had the same vulnerability in OS6 as other platforms because of the webkit engine.
    09-02-15 04:02 PM
    All depends how you define "Hacked". They had the same vulnerability in OS6 as other platforms because of the webkit engine.
    Can you find a article that says it was actually exploited???

But how many articles can you find like this.....

http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...902-story.html
    09-02-15 04:19 PM
    Oh I see, so if they have known security holes that's cool. As long as there's no public outcry over it being used.
    I guess we tout "security" in a funny way in this board.

BlackBerry 10 BES Security Hole Found in Android Runtime Accessing Work Contacts - BerryReview

But again, nobody cares...
    09-02-15 04:25 PM
    Let me follow up that i just recently ordered a passport SE. I don't hate BB, but they have not really changed when it comes to customer service or PR. No matter how much they fix their phones/OS/app gap/whatever, it won't matter. Unless they have some magic fix for CS/PR coming along with the new devices, in the end it will not matter... I think they are simply buying more time like they did with BB10 already...

Also the Apple/Cisco agreement is going to be (further) terrible for BB in business...
    kbz1960 and Blacklatino like this.
    09-02-15 04:45 PM
    Oh good, another thread has lowered itself to this. Defending an OS. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-02-15 05:10 PM
    These were all jailbroken iOS devices though

Posted via CB10
    Shhhhhh...that isn't supposed to be mentioned.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    Blacklatino and MC_A_DOT like this.
    09-02-15 05:19 PM
    Shhhhhh...that isn't supposed to be mentioned.

Why???
    Tried to jailbreak a bbry?

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    09-02-15 06:14 PM
    No. I rooted my androids for a while, but the constant tweaking got old, as well as the bypassed security. I haven't jail broken an iDevice since my iPhone 4 and iOS 7, because the tweaks I used ended up built into the OS. I side loaded and bypassed the developer protection on my z10 as well, but the phone was too unstable so I stopped doing that too. I understood, however, what it means to click those "enable developer mode" or "allow third party sources".

The majority don't jailbreak, and the ones that do, do so knowing they make their devices vulnerable. For the press to run with the headline making it sound like every iPhone is a victim when it's a small number of phones whose users made the decision to make themselves vulnerable? It's pretty atrocious. It sucks for the victims but they made the decision, they opened themselves to attack, and unfortunately paid the consequences.

It doesn't affect me...I'm educated enough to know I could do it, but I simply don't want to. *shrug*

SMocek likes this.
    09-02-15 06:38 PM
    ^^ Two points though:
    -People jailbreaking/rooting actually helps system security, otherwise they wouldn't be patching the exploits used...
    -You are not necessarily better off in every case not being jailbroken. You can patch things that an end user would have to wait for an official round of testing + public rollout in their region. That's the whole point of having system-level access. Ex. JailbreakMe Hackers Expose Gaping Security Hole In iPhones--And Fix It Only For Jailbreakers
    09-02-15 06:45 PM
    The rotary dial phone was really secure as well.
    lol. Not. you only need another dummy phone and a pair of alligator clips ...

edit (about tha AT&T "Jobs" hack)
    In France, I was using payphones free just by using the hang contacts.
    First gen of these phones payment systems had a security for the rotary, basically making it inoperative until you pay. But I discovered by accident at home that I could compose a number by pressing shortly the contacts (ex : 8 times for the digit 8 or letters T/U/V) and ... it worked like a charm (say 1 year) over payphones ...
    09-03-15 06:46 AM
    A hacker doesnt send out malicious code to one person. They send it to millions of devices. why write code to address a diminishing platform? My logic is sound. Your reasoning is flawed. This is the reason Windows is targeted over Apple.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    09-04-15 12:12 AM
    Sure android has its faults but its a capable operating system. The fact that I'm able to respond to this thread while watching some ifa coverage is just great. The next time people want to gripe about how much BlackBerry sucks...-uploadfromtaptalk1441346194418.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-04-15 12:56 AM
    A hacker doesnt send out malicious code to one person. They send it to millions of devices. why write code to address a diminishing platform? My logic is sound. Your reasoning is flawed. This is the reason Windows is targeted over Apple.
    I'm not talking about Joe the scam hacker or Russian-sexy phishing.
    I'm talking about BES enabled devices, in the context of industrial espionage or governments spying where hackers are generously paid and talented teams. Where they don't target device types but people in particular.
    Ask Angela Merkel or our former French President aka "Paul Bismuth" ...

P.S: Was, was targeted over apple, FTR (due to iOS).
    09-04-15 03:47 AM

What?

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 07:44 AM
    Could it be that it's not profitable to even hack BlackBerry since it has such low marketshare?

Posted via CB10
    Marketshare might be low, but getting in Obama or Merckels phone or in a normal guys phone.... what would you do IF you could choose...

It just isn't possible for now..

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    09-04-15 07:47 AM
    Marketshare might be low, but getting in Obama or Merckels phone or in a normal guys phone.... what would you do IF you could choose...

It just isn't possible for now..

Posted via CB10
    Indeed, the pay day is much bigger on the smaller, bull's eye than on the larger portion of the target.

Getting inside the devices government officials and large corporations use would seem to make the effort worthwhile for hackers...if they are successful.

 Posted via CB10 on my Q10 
    09-04-15 09:27 AM
    If one can be "swayed" to root/jailbreak, one probably shouldn't. What's the plan? Just because?

Nah, I want to really, really own my device. I like tinkering, and I have an opportunity to work with some really good devs, so it comes naturally. I also want a truly smart device that manages other pieces of my setup. Rooting a device makes it as close to being made by me as possible.

Most people don't understand or need that type of control.

I'm pretty picky, so hey.
    I can understand and appreciate what you're saying. As long as your willing to accept the consequences of what happens when jailbreaking/rooting your device, then go ahead and do what makes you happy.

I rooted my Galaxy S2 as well as my HTC One M7 after it, and never really felt like it was a good decision. Going forward if I ever go android again, I won't root, it was never worth it for me.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    09-04-15 12:57 PM
    I can understand and appreciate what you're saying. As long as your willing to accept the consequences of what happens when jailbreaking/rooting your device, then go ahead and do what makes you happy.

I rooted my Galaxy S2 as well as my HTC One M7 after it, and never really felt like it was a good decision. Going forward if I ever go android again, I won't root, it was never worth it for me.
    I hear ya. Makes sense.

As Android becomes more refined, it seems like there is less of a reason to root nowadays.
    09-04-15 01:27 PM
    I hear ya. Makes sense.

As Android becomes more refined, it seems like there is less of a reason to root nowadays.
    I dunno, i've had more reason to need to root since 5.x.x than i have probably since Gingerbread... I really, really hate lollipop.
    09-04-15 02:07 PM
78 1234