Ever heard of Steve Jobs and the Blue Box ?

He hacked the phone system before there were mobile phones

Posted via CB10
    The next time people want to gripe about how much BlackBerry sucks...-556.jpg
    09-01-15 09:23 PM
    how many times in the last WEEK man? forgot who in particular but one guy was really adamant that there's no downside. where is he?
    In my usage, I find none. I consider it a feature.

Nothing to be scared about if one knows what they are doing.

My rooted devices are more secure than my stock ones.

Also, the paradigms on Android and iOS are different. Android folks don't typically root to get free apps.
    09-01-15 09:32 PM

Also, the paradigms on Android and iOS are different. Android folks don't typically root to get free apps.
    i consider it altering your device to add/change features. plenty of friends I've known have (been swayed and eventually) jailbroke/rooted their devices by other techie friends and so really have no idea about the process and what the ramifications of it are. you believe what you want to believe. i don't think i should have to do any altering of my phone in order to feel more "secure than stock". but then again, i don't like nor use android but certainly not for that reason alone.
    lift likes this.
    09-01-15 09:42 PM

Totally, security is in the hands of the user for most use cases. It was incredible to me when the iOS Github/iCloud hack occurred involving Jennifer Lawrence, Kirsten Dunst, etc. While Apple's lack of due diligence was appalling (the hack was a simple brute force script after all), I was amazed that such high profile celebs didn't have 'someone' that managed their personal online security.

Well, I bet they do now, lol.

I think most companies just rely on people being lazy about 'opting out' or paying attention in general about their privacy to be honest. People often confuse privacy and security - but I think if you're vigilant about your privacy, the security generally follows, imho.
    09-01-15 09:43 PM
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    I think you are lost. This isn't android central. You come to CrackBerry to bash anything about BlackBerry constantly.
    lang007, extisis and kbrant64 like this.
    09-01-15 09:44 PM
    Yes, but through mobile devices? I would think there are more fruitful entry points.
    With that type of data ANY entry point would be worthy to foreign adversaries. So stop with the excuses.
    09-01-15 09:48 PM
    i consider it altering your device to add/change features. plenty of friends I've known have (been swayed and eventually) jailbroke/rooted their devices by other techie friends and so really have no idea about the process and what the ramifications of it are. you believe what you want to believe. i don't think i should have to do any altering of my phone in order to feel more "secure than stock". but then again, i don't like nor use android but certainly not for that reason alone.
    If one can be "swayed" to root/jailbreak, one probably shouldn't. What's the plan? Just because?

Nah, I want to really, really own my device. I like tinkering, and I have an opportunity to work with some really good devs, so it comes naturally. I also want a truly smart device that manages other pieces of my setup. Rooting a device makes it as close to being made by me as possible.

Most people don't understand or need that type of control.

I'm pretty picky, so hey.
    Witmen likes this.
    09-01-15 09:50 PM
    If one can be "swayed" to root/jailbreak, one probably shouldn't. What's the plan? Just because?

Nah, I want to really, really own my device. I like tinkering, and I have an opportunity to work with some really good devs, so it comes naturally. I also want a truly smart device that manages other pieces of my setup. Rooting a device makes it as close to being made by me as possible.

Most people don't understand or need that type of control.

I'm pretty picky, so hey.
    Guess you won't be getting the slider then. You won't "own" it so why bother. Right.
    09-01-15 09:53 PM
    Guess you won't be getting the slider then. You won't "own" it so why bother. Right.
    I think I will. I like diverse devices. I can't root my BlackBerry, WP, iOS or Palm/WebOS devices, but manage to enjoy them all the same.

I'm not hot about the potential for Android on BB devices, but if possible, I will try one.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 09-01-15 at 10:17 PM.
    09-01-15 10:04 PM
    Totally, security is in the hands of the user for most use cases. It was incredible to me when the iOS Github/iCloud hack occurred involving Jennifer Lawrence, Kirsten Dunst, etc. While Apple's lack of due diligence was appalling (the hack was a simple brute force script after all), I was amazed that such high profile celebs didn't have 'someone' that managed their personal online security.

Well, I bet they do now, lol.

I think most companies just rely on people being lazy about 'opting out' or paying attention in general about their privacy to be honest. People often confuse privacy and security - but I think if you're vigilant about your privacy, the security generally follows, imho.
    Good stuff.

Folks -- famous and regular -- are remarkably nonchalant about privacy.
    09-01-15 10:06 PM
    ask that to the 100's of thousands of jailbroken iOS users that recently got hacked. bet you a BB10 slider that less than 50% of them even know "the plan". i dislike the popularity of the practice for the same reasons you mentioned.
    kbrant64 likes this.
    09-01-15 10:09 PM
    I think you are lost. This isn't android central. You come to CrackBerry to bash anything about BlackBerry constantly.
    lol dude. told you- ignore button. it's like a CB fly swatter.
    lift likes this.
    09-01-15 10:14 PM
    ask that to the 100's of thousands of jailbroken iOS users that recently got hacked. bet you a BB10 slider that less than 50% of them even know "the plan". i dislike the popularity of the practice for the same reasons you mentioned.
    No doubt... it's a strong argument against the practice.

Keep in mind though that on iOS, it's a different concept. If I understand the report on this current hack that I read earlier today, a big hook is the ability to get free apps. Since iOS is a very walled garden, free apps is a major draw

This doesn't really exist on the Android front.

Folks who root on Android mostly do so for other reasons. Privacy is a big one.

I can't argue with the fact that in this case, stock would be better.
    extisis likes this.
    09-01-15 10:17 PM
    So again a CIO will say ... Oh Blackberry you now offer an Android device too, whats the added value?
    BB: IT's the BEST security money can buy for Android.
    CIO: But you already offer same level of security via BES for iOS/Android anyway, so why should I buy YOUR devices?
    BB: Well it has a physical keyboard?
    CIO: And what will you do when your competitors begin to RETRY their hand at doing so? Even paying royalty for the patent use of the keyboard YOU make BlackBerry?
    BB: throw the towel in and just use BES12+ client software.
    CIO: lol I see. Well we'll talk.
    boring convo.
    09-01-15 10:17 PM

Keep in mind though that on iOS, it's a different concept. If I understand the report on this current hack that I read earlier today, a big hook is the ability to get free apps. Since iOS is a very walled garden, free apps is a major draw

a stock BB10 Slider would do just fine ;-) well without the curved screen of course but i'd be too excited to care at that point.
    lift and MBrettH like this.
    09-01-15 10:18 PM
    boring convo.
    Ignore button. LOL.
    extisis likes this.
    09-01-15 10:19 PM
    a stock BB10 Slider would do just fine ;-) well without the curved screen of course but i'd be too excited to care at that point.
    Yeah, nobody seems overly excited about the curved screen, lol. I played around with a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and was pretty meh about it. Although to be fair, it makes more sense for the BB Slider from an engineering perspective (pkb). Other than that, I don't see any advantage to it.
    09-01-15 10:36 PM

App Ops! Be curious to see what impact Marshmallow has on the Cyanogen crowd.
    09-01-15 10:37 PM
    User base! That's what all this comes down to. The same reason Macs don't get viruses on any kind of scale. There just isn't any upside to hack a product with a minuscule user base
    09-01-15 11:28 PM
    I guess this means if BB releases the slider with android they are real idiots then. Eh?
    09-02-15 12:16 AM
    Everyone in the Canadian Gov use BlackBerry the **** on those phones is worth way more than on any iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    MBrettH likes this.
    09-02-15 12:34 AM
    User base! That's what all this comes down to. The same reason Macs don't get viruses on any kind of scale. There just isn't any upside to hack a product with a minuscule user base
    This logic implies that you believe that a hacker would rather steal $1 from 100 ppl rather that $100 from 1 person.

Posted via CB10
    MBrettH likes this.
    09-02-15 01:07 AM
    Yes, but through mobile devices? I would think there are more fruitful entry points.
    Aviva

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    09-02-15 01:11 AM
    Yeah nobody has any incentive to hack into the communications structures of DOD, intelligence agencies, state department, etc. Phhht...why bother?

Posted via CB10
    Well if these organizations would buy a few million devices a quarter... BlackBerry would bother. But they aren't buying, so I don't think BlackBerry will bother making BB10 devices.
    09-02-15 08:06 AM
    Unless your post is pertaining to "jailbroken devices" it's irrelevant.
    09-02-15 08:08 AM
78 1234