I'm a pretty new BlackBerry user. My first BlackBerry was a Z10.

When my wife took that off me, I bought a Q10. Then I bought a Bold 9900, just to see what the legacy BlackBerry experience was like. Yesterday, I got my BlackBerry Passport.

After getting the Q10, I decided that physical keyboards were going to be essential for me, going forward. The keyboard on the Bold 9900 was even better, and it quickly became my go-to phone. However, there were times I missed the larger screens on my Android phones. When I switched back to them, it was usually only for a short time, as I missed the keyboard.

Having just received the Passport, I have to say that this may be the perfect phone for me (based on my current requirements). Here's why:

1) The keyboard is actually nicer for me to type on than the Bold and Q10. This is probably because I don't have a long history using the regular BlackBerry keyboard.

2) The screen resolution and real estate are awesome.

3) The processor is nice and fast.

4) The geometry allows me to avoid having to break out my laptop for every document I have to edit or view. This is amazingly convenient.

5) Since I have Snap installed I can use the few Android apps that I regularly need......and they work well!

What's not been so seamless:

1) Getting used to the hybrid physical/virtual keyboard. I occasionally find myself trying to use the 'shift' key. I can see how this would be extremely frustrating for long-time BlackBerry users.

2) The fact that a lot of apps don't scroll using the touch keyboard. This is annoying, because I hate touching the screen if I don't have to. This was one of the best things about the Bold touchpad. I assume this will change with time.

3) The size of the phone makes it a little bit strange to use for voice calls, but I imagine this will get easier as I use the phone more.

The upshot of it is that my initial impression of this phone is very positive. As a business/work communication device, it is pretty much perfect.

EDIT: To continue:

My favourite things about the Bold 9900 were the trackpad and the social feeds. Even with Feedminder, the functionality and integration I'm looking for are not yet available on BB10.

The size of the Q10 and 9900 is still very convenient, but the smaller screen is going to be hard to return to after using this wonder of a screen on the Passport.

I certainly don't miss the under-powered processor on the 9900, and I hated the constant nagging reminders I used to get from the few 'free' apps I used. The Q10 was a little more smooth in use, but when using Android apps, it was still a little too choppy.

I always felt that the AMOLED screen on the Q10 was not as sharp as I wanted. I preferred the screen on the Z10 and the 9900. The sharpness of the Passport screen is amazing. The colour fidelity is nice too.

------------

Will I stick with the Passport now?

In addition to the Q10 and 9900, I also have a Lumia 1520, LG G2, Nokia N9, and Galaxy S3. While I used the 9900 the most, I used to switch to each of these phones occasionally, as they all had their own shortcomings and advantages. So, now that I have the Passport, will I switch back to any of these?

I'm not sure. The biggest advantage of the Passport over the Q10 (size) is also the biggest disadvantage. In most situations, the larger size is more useful to me, but I am very active and ride a bicycle and do trail running, for which it is nice to have a portable communication device. I have got stranded on the trails and had to call for a pickup in the past, and I need a GPS tracker to help me get around. The Passport is going to be unwieldy in these situations (I know, because the 1520 definitely was).

Also, I use a Pebble smartwatch, and while Talk2watch allows communication with the Pebble, it is not as seamless as on an Android phone. This is a minor issue, but it is something to point out.

-----------------------

Anyway, to wrap up, coming from the point of view of a new BlackBerry user, without a long 'history' with BB devices, I think this phone can offer something to a lot of newer BB users, and also newbies. I think even casual smartphone users could get enamoured with the Passport. It's certainly worth trying out.
    Last edited by yohannrjm; 12-12-14 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Added more thoughts.
    12-12-14 03:08 PM
    Thanks for sharing!
    12-26-14 05:12 PM
    Thanks for sharing!
    Hey, sharing is caring!

That was my long-winded way of saying that if you're not a 'power' BBOS7 user, adjusting to the Passport should be a cinch.

The size is something to consider, but if you've used a phablet before, you won't find it that strange.
    12-26-14 06:59 PM
    Hopefully the passport works for you years to come!
    I am sure since release the passport has been changing people's communication for the better.

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    12-26-14 08:11 PM
    I'm a pretty new BlackBerry user. My first BlackBerry was a Z10.

When my wife took that off me, I bought a Q10. Then I bought a Bold 9900, just to see what the legacy BlackBerry experience was like. Yesterday, I got my BlackBerry Passport.

After getting the Q10, I decided that physical keyboards were going to be essential for me, going forward. The keyboard on the Bold 9900 was even better, and it quickly became my go-to phone. However, there were times I missed the larger screens on my Android phones. When I switched back to them, it was usually only for a short time, as I missed the keyboard.

Having just received the Passport, I have to say that this may be the perfect phone for me (based on my current requirements). Here's why:

1) The keyboard is actually nicer for me to type on than the Bold and Q10. This is probably because I don't have a long history using the regular BlackBerry keyboard.

2) The screen resolution and real estate are awesome.

3) The processor is nice and fast.

4) The geometry allows me to avoid having to break out my laptop for every document I have to edit or view. This is amazingly convenient.

5) Since I have Snap installed I can use the few Android apps that I regularly need......and they work well!

What's not been so seamless:

1) Getting used to the hybrid physical/virtual keyboard. I occasionally find myself trying to use the 'shift' key. I can see how this would be extremely frustrating for long-time BlackBerry users.

2) The fact that a lot of apps don't scroll using the touch keyboard. This is annoying, because I hate touching the screen if I don't have to. This was one of the best things about the Bold touchpad. I assume this will change with time.

3) The size of the phone makes it a little bit strange to use for voice calls, but I imagine this will get easier as I use the phone more.

The upshot of it is that my initial impression of this phone is very positive. As a business/work communication device, it is pretty much perfect.

EDIT: To continue:

My favourite things about the Bold 9900 were the trackpad and the social feeds. Even with Feedminder, the functionality and integration I'm looking for are not yet available on BB10.

The size of the Q10 and 9900 is still very convenient, but the smaller screen is going to be hard to return to after using this wonder of a screen on the Passport.

I certainly don't miss the under-powered processor on the 9900, and I hated the constant nagging reminders I used to get from the few 'free' apps I used. The Q10 was a little more smooth in use, but when using Android apps, it was still a little too choppy.

I always felt that the AMOLED screen on the Q10 was not as sharp as I wanted. I preferred the screen on the Z10 and the 9900. The sharpness of the Passport screen is amazing. The colour fidelity is nice too.

------------

Will I stick with the Passport now?

In addition to the Q10 and 9900, I also have a Lumia 1520, LG G2, Nokia N9, and Galaxy S3. While I used the 9900 the most, I used to switch to each of these phones occasionally, as they all had their own shortcomings and advantages. So, now that I have the Passport, will I switch back to any of these?

I'm not sure. The biggest advantage of the Passport over the Q10 (size) is also the biggest disadvantage. In most situations, the larger size is more useful to me, but I am very active and ride a bicycle and do trail running, for which it is nice to have a portable communication device. I have got stranded on the trails and had to call for a pickup in the past, and I need a GPS tracker to help me get around. The Passport is going to be unwieldy in these situations (I know, because the 1520 definitely was).

Also, I use a Pebble smartwatch, and while Talk2watch allows communication with the Pebble, it is not as seamless as on an Android phone. This is a minor issue, but it is something to point out.

-----------------------

Anyway, to wrap up, coming from the point of view of a new BlackBerry user, without a long 'history' with BB devices, I think this phone can offer something to a lot of newer BB users, and also newbies. I think even casual smartphone users could get enamoured with the Passport. It's certainly worth trying out.
    I like you am an also avid BlackBerry user since the bold pearl flip and torch days! I to am using a Pebble Steel and love the connectivity! I use Talk2watch pro with caller watch/for call id and the Pebble app for device maintenance like switching watch faces and getting device updates! So far the PP and the Pebble make my day to day business/personal use on par and my experience has been nothing but stellar and I recommend this combo for all of us!

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 06:05 AM
    I do agree that it is easier to accustomed to the Passport from a non heavy or new Blackberry user. My only other Blackberry was the Bold 9900, while I was productive on it, the Phone was plagued with problems such as sudden drop in battery life despite using new battery, phone shutting down by itself, overheating, and others.

Finally I switched back to Android and found myself missing physical keyboard, and after a year or so, here I am with the Passport. I do not face the problems many old timers faced with the keyboard because to me, the keyboard is way better than typing on glass.

I was productive again since day 1 on the phone because I did not have to adjust to a 3 roll keyboards, work without the shift key and other issues related to the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 06:49 AM