So, it's been some time since the AT&T "re-design" came out. I was pissed at first because of the lack of transparency especially with bending issues with the current Passport.

I've had a black Passport since launch and have no bending or screen lift and ordered a red one; which many friends helped to chip in so I could give the black to my mother as she was waiting on AT&T.

With the new version announced she will be getting that since she is already paying for a subsidy on her unlimited plan and she does prefer the rounded corners. Now I am questioning whether or not to return the red Passport (which I love) since the issues with the bending and screen lift seem to have been addressed.

Both of my Passports were purchased from shopblackberry and have been working fine. I'm more concerned with the longevity of the device. When I buy a BlackBerry, I can usually count on it to last years. My Storm lasted 3-4 years with a lot of abuse.

I bought these devices right before the new year with the expectation of not having to use any more cash for a few years using the Passport as my main device. People talk about corkscrew issues and weak at the Y axis, but I'm not sure what that really means to me as far as handling the Passport. I guess I'm fortunate that I rarely put my phone in my pocket.

I'm also wondering if the AT&T version will eventually replace the current version on sale due to the better build that is expected. I'm not sure if the AT&T Passport has only the bands for AT&Ts network or if it has all the same bands as the original.

Personally, I prefer the looks of the original but need the device to get me through a few years and this is where the frame of the AT&T model comes into play. I'm over being angry about the ordeal and glad I did not post at that time, but now I have a black and red Passport from shopblackberry that I'm not sure how long they will hold up.

I did some binge shopping and promised myself not to purchase another smartphone until at least 2016. This whole "AT&T wanted rounded corners" is a bit deceiving. That may have been the case, but now the device is built better with the screen sitting in the frame among other changes. Will the original still be produced and sold?

Not trying to bash BlackBerry at all; I switched carriers after almost 10 years for this device. Would have been nice if there was some transparency though since every few days there is this bend/screen issue and I really can't afford the next post to be from me.

Both Passports are ordered from shopblackberry and the red is still within 30 days. Just curious as to other thoughts on this? And yes I did read the two long threads regarding the AT&T version which is why I held back for a week or so prior to posting.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and sentimentGX4 like this.
    01-12-15 02:30 PM
    I think you are over analyzing the situation. With reasonable care and usage, your Passport will last well beyond 2016. The device is well built but reports of a few devices "bending" should not make you paranoid of yours failing. IMHO. Relax and enjoy!

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 02:46 PM
    I think you are over analyzing the situation. With reasonable care and usage, your Passport will last well beyond 2016. The device is well built but reports of a few devices "bending" should not make you paranoid of yours failing. IMHO. Relax and enjoy!

Posted via CB10
    You are likely correct. I'm typically a perfectionist and was just annoyed by the whole thing. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 03:34 PM
    Think it is an issue of scale.... as you tend to hear about the "horror stories" bending, screen lift etc, it really does not represent the scale of issues, had there been an actual issue with bending and screen lifting in great numbers, these and other forums would be littered with complaints of said issue,.,., there really is not, in reality, there will always be issues with any new product.... it is a bit of a crap shoot with any new product, but if you look at it realistically, there really is no issue with the Passport except for the odd quality control issue.... a good example of how the squeaky wheel gets the oil..... Enjoy you new Passport as I expect you can get many years of use from it.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    01-12-15 04:09 PM
    If it makes you feel any better, I'm returning my Passport, which I purchased from Amazon during the black Friday sale, and has absolutely no imperfections, it is amazing and I absolutely love it... but I prefer the redesign so I'm returning this one to get the redesign.

Luckily for me, since I purchased during the holidays, Amazon extended return until Jan 31, so I'm hoping they announce a release date soon so that I can return this Passport by the end of the month.
    nyallj likes this.
    01-12-15 04:23 PM
    Me too I'd prefer the rounded corner version.

The edges just get in the way all the time.

Although, it does look nicer.

As for bending, screen problems, I have the impression that the passport was released ahead of time, we got an unfinished device that we early adopters are actually beta testing.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 04:52 PM
    Close the news and enjoy your Passport. Companies release many products in various iterations. Not a big deal.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    01-12-15 04:53 PM
    I don't see myself sending my Passport back to Amazon.
    Although the thought of it does sound intriguing. I had a Z10 with them, and that subsidy should end in April.
    Too late to get in on an Amazon return.
    Besides, reading all the horror stories on here. My Passport is exceptionally wonderful and I like how it works!
    I'll keep it.
    01-12-15 08:15 PM
    01-12-15 09:07 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackberrypassportces-08179.jpg 
Views:	1988 
Size:	530.0 KB 
ID:	326956

Name:	blackberrypassportces-08177.jpg 
Views:	1969 
Size:	522.7 KB 
ID:	326957Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackberrypassportces-08178.jpg 
Size:	412.4 KB 
ID:	326958Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackberrypassportces-08180.jpg 
Views:	1970 
Size:	466.8 KB 
ID:	326959Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackberrypassportces-08181.jpg 
Size:	324.8 KB 
ID:	326960
    Looks like crap imo... but ok... I'm just glad it isn't universally hated like when the original Passport images first came out.

OP, I wouldn't do anything until you get to try the new Passport in person at (hopefully) an AT&T store. Who knows, it may actually feel worse. At that point, if you do decide to get one, you can just try to sell your original one to try to cover some of the costs. I know I will be looking to buy an original Passport in the next few months for my dad hopefully,.. a good-condition used one would fit the bill.

Just a thought.

Posted via CB10
    raqball likes this.
    01-12-15 09:15 PM
    Looks like crap imo... but ok... I'm just glad it isn't universally hated like when the original Passport images first came out.

Posted via CB10
    I'm curious... Is it the rounded corners or the new steel frame that disgusts you? or is it a combination of both?
    01-12-15 09:31 PM
    What i really want to know is when this ATT passport is dropping? Classic too. Still undecided. Damn Classic is just so balanced, i love it. I went in tonight to my local ATT store and they said to just keep checking the site and there not sure. But i can tell i wasn't the first person to ask and thats a good feeling.
    01-12-15 09:42 PM
    The rumored release date for the BlackBerry Passport on AT&T is somewhere around the end of January or beginning of February, with the carrier still deciding on a specific date. More than a couple people have given us this time frame, and they’re reliable sources who haven’t been wrong in the past, however nothing official has been said yet. Feel free to take this with a grain of salt.
    http://n4bb.com/att-blackberry-passp...arly-next-year

AT&T says that availability information on the device will be announced “in the coming weeks.” You can sign up to be the first to know when you can order this version of the Passport from AT&T’s website
    https://bgr.com/2015/01/07/att-black...passport-sale/

Apparently we should expect more details "in the coming weeks". The same situation is true for the BlackBerry Classic, which will make it to the carrier "in the near future".
    http://www.gsmarena.com/at_t_gets_bl...news-10683.php

and now we wait
    Last edited by thedose; 01-12-15 at 10:16 PM.
    01-12-15 10:03 PM
    Will AT&T carry all three color variants?

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 10:18 PM
    Me too I'd prefer the rounded corner version.

The edges just get in the way all the time.

Although, it does look nicer.

As for bending, screen problems, I have the impression that the passport was released ahead of time, we got an unfinished device that we early adopters are actually beta testing.

Posted via CB10
    Why would you say this? A few complaints out of tens of thousands sold? I doubt we are beta testers. This isn't a company that can afford to have massive quality control issues that you would see with rushed, unfinished and unproven hardware. From what I can tell, BlackBerry has produced a high quality device not something to be beta tested. That's just my impression as you admitted yours is an impression as well. Let's just say we can agree to disagree.

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    01-12-15 10:23 PM
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! The Passport that is still in the return window of 30 days would be the red. Personally, I love the original and if I had to choose on aesthetics alone I'd pick the original.

Showed the AT&T one to my mother which she likes much better. Probably less of a shock to her and more feminine with the rounded corners (not saying the AT&T model is feminine). Was just reading too much I guess about the weakness in the original steel frame although my black Passport from launch has been fine and the red is excellent.

If the square Passport slowly gets replaced by the rounded version there is a reason for that, but I've had no issues. The red Passport is on battery cycle 3 I think lol. Will continue to enjoy them. Guess the negative reading got to me. If they announce a Passport 2 and that launches in the spring I wouldn't have an issue as that is how tech goes. I purchased the Passport with the intention of using as my daily device for a few years and was reading too much I guess on here asking myself if they'll make it until the summer.

I'm very comfortable with the specs and updates that will be coming for the Passport and not concerned if they release a new, updated version. As I wrote though, felt like there was a lack of transparency. While I like the original better on looks, if the AT&T model is better in build I'd take that. Just don't have money to throw around for a while. Seems like I was over thinking things. Thanks for the reassurance!

Will be interesting to compare my mother's to mine when it is available!

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 11:19 PM

Is it me, or does the RED look much nicer?
    raqball and cbosdell like this.
    01-12-15 11:30 PM
    The red does look nicer. Always did like red BB. My first BB was a Red 8810.
    01-12-15 11:53 PM
    Reds the smexy one

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 12:25 AM

Thank you for the pix
    01-13-15 07:55 AM
    The red screen looks a bit wider and longer.
    Sure it must be an optical illusion, but even side by side the red looks a touch longer.
    Could it be?
    01-13-15 08:06 AM
    Sorry if I missed something (I have been busy working) but is there any internal spec updates in the AT&T model? Or just the rounded corner/larger bottom?

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 08:31 AM
    Sorry if I missed something (I have been busy working) but is there any internal spec updates in the AT&T model? Or just the rounded corner/larger bottom?

Posted via CB10
    Specs are the same, but I've read in a few threads that it may have wireless charging.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 09:09 AM
    Thanks for the reply!

Specs are the same, but I've read in a few threads that it may have wireless charging.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 09:31 AM
    I personally prefer the original configuration. I don't understand your comment regarding better build quality.

SQW100-1 I Rogers I 10.3.1.xxx
    01-13-15 10:07 AM
31 12